My Big Fat GK can score more than your Big Fat GK (Blast from the past challenge).

This was quite a successful challenge back in FM07, FM08 & FM09. It started off as a joint idea between myself and someone else, (but I can't remember who), so I will limit it to s short-list of NepentheZ, Gundo and well.... whoever it was if it wasn't one of those two. The idea was that it was a thread designed to track those of us who had a GK who was adept at getting up the other end of the pitch and putting the ball in the opposition net. Goals could be scored from penalties, free-kicks, corners and even open play. There were a few really good records held back in the day, (we had GK's scoring hat-tricks for example), but the real record that everyone was after was the Most Career goals for a GK. (At least that's what I was after). Back then it seemed quite uncommon for GK's to score goals in real life, (granted there were exceptions), but actually it was far more common than people appreciated. It just wasn't reported as much. If a GK scored a goal in domestic football on the other side of the World, it simply wasn't "news" in Europe.

In real life the GK's most adept at scoring goals were/are the following. Some of them are still playing and still scoring.

Rogerio Ceni of Brazil has scored 116 career goals. He currently holds the record for most penalties scored by a GK, (58), the most free-kicks scored by a GK, (58), and the highest number of total career goals scored by a GK, (116). He scored all his goals for Sao Paulo in Brazil He is now retired so will not be adding to his tally.

Jose Luis Chalavert of Paraguau also holds World records. Although he only scored 62 career goals, he holds the record for most International goals by a GK (9), and most goals in a single match by a GK (3). Like Ceni, he is now retired so will not be adding to this tally.

Dimitar Ivankov of Bulgaria is one of the lesser known goal-scoring GK's. He scored a total of 42 goals at Levski Sofia, Keyserispor and Bursapor.

Rene Higuita of Colombia is a high profile name, known as much for his hair and eccentricity as his goalkeeping ability, (although he was certainly a good keeper). He scored 41 career goals at a number of clubs and I'm sure he also scored from open play, (no, I have no idea what he was doing up there but then again that was Higuita for you).

Johnny Vegas Fernandez of Peru has scored 39 career goals and is still playing for Pacifico in the Peruvian 2nd Division, (although he doesn't play regularly and is yet to score for them).He is 38 now so maybe time is running out for him to pass Higuita. (I have never heard of this bloke and his name makes me want him to be made up). lol

Of course there are many examples of goalkeepers scoring one-off goals.

Jimmy Glass saved Carlisle Utd from relegation with an injury time goal right at the death of the last game of the season and deserves a special mention. (If you watch the video, keep an eye out for the ref getting bundled just to the right hand side of the pile-up in the aftermath.

I have had a few good goal-scoring GK's in past issues of FM.

McIlmurray scored 19 goals in a season for Mosside in N.Ireland, (not sure if that was the record for goals in a season or not).

McIlmurraystatsMay2018.jpg

I'm not positive about this but Chris McIlmurray, (I think his first name was Chris), was definitely a real player who was a kid at Glenavon when that save started. In real life, although he was rightly a GK in the Youth team in real life, (so was a GK in the game), but he actually changed position and signed a pro contract as an outfield player, (I'm almost positive about this). He represented N.Ireland at U17 level but I have a feeling he opted to play Gaelic Football after a while. In any case I can find no record of him now.

The next pic shows him on 99 career goals. In actual fact he scored either 104 or 107 career goals before my laptop blew up and I lost the save. :(

BestElevenJun2018.jpg

This is him scoring his 100th goal. (That's right kids. No 3d back then).

Gkgoal100.jpg

50th League goal, (again from the spot).

McIlmurray50leaguegoals.jpg

Oh I forgot I did this. In order to keep track of hoe many goals he scored I used to edit his nickname to include the total number, (rather than having to keep adding it up). This says he is on 111. (I didn't realise he had got that high, but it was a long time ago).

10foulsonPotts.jpg

I have vague memories of a Hungarian GK called Gabor Mezo, (or something like that), scoring goals for me in a different issue of FM, but he wasn't as good as McIlmurray). Ahh. Here it is. I have a pic of him scoring 16 goals in a season, (but from 200+ shots so not exactly impressive).

Mezostats.jpg

Anyway, so that's the history. Now show me what your GK can do.

[Edit]

I forgot to mention that goals scored for a club side have to be in competitive fixtures. U19's Cups do NOT count but some Reserve cups do. Basically, if the game is listed as a League, Cup or Continental fixture, (on historical stats), then you can have it, but if it comes under the header "non competitive", then you can't.

For Internationals it's different. Friendlies DO count, but it has to be a full International for which a cap has been awarded. (I couldn't for example take England to the 2014 World Cup and play some warm-up games against Brazilian club sides and count them.

[Edit2]

While it's easy to use the editor to create your own "Super GK" with a huge PA and hidden attributes that are going to make things much easier, please try and do this without using the editor. It's not against the rules to use the Editor, (it's your game and you should play it how you want), but this really isn't a competition against each-other and is more a thread for common experiences with goal-scoring GK's.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very highly tempted to put my career save on hold to try this, are there any rules on what club you can be? Any nations where it would be easier to accomplish as there would be more games?

I remember this challenge, was a lot of fun, now I have to see if I have a keeper capable of scoring goals, in particular from Free kicks and Penalties, but maybe corners as well.

If I was to give you a little hint..... some set-pieces seem much harder than in previous years, (and long-range counters more effective when you miss), but other set-pieces are very easy.

I'm very highly tempted to put my career save on hold to try this, are there any rules on what club you can be? Any nations where it would be easier to accomplish as there would be more games?

You don't have to put anything on hold at all.

I am currently doing the San Marino challenge and this "Fat GK challenge" will be done within that. You can play as any team, (club or Nation), and all competitive games count.

When I did it in the dim and distant past, (see pics in opening post), I did it within the Gundo challenge. That's the beauty of the challenge. You just go about your normal save but with the addition of trying to get your GK to score.

Think I might holiday a season in Croatia, the only reason why I won't do it in my main save is that I have loaded every league in Europe which makes the game very, very slow, with just Croatia there's the challenge of toppling Dinamo, a 36 league game season and a cup, as well as Europe and I think very lax foreigner rules.

As I have started the thread I suppose I had better start us off with some GK goals.

San Marino 2030/31 Season stats.

2 different GK's scoring club goals. (No INT goals yet).

Most goals in a season.

Lucio (4).

Protti (SMR/ITA) (1).

GKGoalsJun2031_zpsa121f245.png

This is from next season, (but what the hell).

Most goals in a match.

Lucio (2).

GKGoals2inmatch_zps50402528.png

Brilliant. :applause:

What was the 6th minute goal? A free-kick?

Yup, from 30 yards, and he scored again in the most recent game, but as I pressed Alt+F9 what happens? An error so now there's been no 6-6 draw and no goal keeper goals :(

It may have taken a bit longer, but Loncaric has finally scored on the 22nd of November:

1CySYpL.png

EDIT: And then in the next game, Loncaric scores a hat-trick! 2 penalties and a free kick from the edge of the box!

XQG5tHR.png

Excellent to see this back :thup:

I do however want to make a small correction :D

Rogério Ceni has not retired yet, he will do so at the end of the year. He even scored last weekend :D

Ooh ooh ooh. :eek:

Delighted to be corrected on this. Thank you. :applause:

Will keep an eye on him and keep the thread updated. :thup:

Season 1 complete

• Promoted to the Croatian First Division
  • Won the Croatian Cup 4-0 on agg against NK Lokomotiva
  • My goalkeeper Filip Loncaric finished as the Cups Top Goalscorer with 5
  • Filip also finished as the clubs 3rd highest scorer with 10 goals

nQwlAmf.png

fDGlFqf.png?1

blfV5BC.png

Season 1 - Filip Loncaric - 38 games, 10 goals, 1 assist, 17 clean sheets, 2 PoM awards, Croatian Cup Top Scorer.

Croatian Cup Top Scorer.

Love that.:thup:

Are you holidaying, using FMC instant results or playing the full game fully? (Not that it makes any difference).

Also, how many of the goals were pens and free-kicks and have we had an open play goal yet?

I'm having a little dabble with SK(a) at the moment. Good for assists but not so much for goals. Had him taking a free-kick quite far up and right on the touchline that almost resulted in a goal for them.

It's unfortunate that he plays for such a horrid team. I should actually hate him, but admit he is a bit of a legend. He scored his 100th goal against Corinthians as well...

I saw that. I also noticed a recent last minute pen against you though. (Just as well as I heard both sets of fans were going mental).

Love that.:thup:

Are you holidaying, using FMC instant results or playing the full game fully? (Not that it makes any difference).

Also, how many of the goals were pens and free-kicks and have we had an open play goal yet?

I'm having a little dabble with SK(a) at the moment. Good for assists but not so much for goals. Had him taking a free-kick quite far up and right on the touchline that almost resulted in a goal for them.

Mostly playing with the instant result button with the mindset of play for the win, 8 of the goals were penalties and the other 2 were free kicks, 23 games into this season and Loncaric only has an assist to his name so far :(

Season 2 complete

• Finished 3rd in the First Division
  • Won the Super Cup 1-0 against Rijeka
  • Beat Dinamo 5-2 on agg in the Croatian Cup Final
  • Lost to Ajax in the Europa League Playoff 7-2 on agg
  • Filip Loncaric scores 8 goals, all from penalties

CiJZef2.png

a5j8p4S.png?1

mhWPLTk.png

Season 1 - Filip Loncaric - 38 games, 10 goals, 1 assist, 17 clean sheets, 2 PoM awards, Croatian Cup Top Scorer.

Season 2 - Filip Loncaric - 50 games, 8 goals, 1 assist, 19 clean sheets, 1 PoM award.

This thread is making me want to find a savegame where my GK was my best FK taker..

I don't think he bagged too many but I now have the urge to find and continue that save

It might not even be on FM14 though..

Season 3 complete.

• Finished 3rd in the League
  • Won the Cup and Super Cup
  • Made it to the Europa League Final losing 1-0 to Ajax

bPUuEC5.png

A0fatBJ.png?1

YIEelAA.png

kOvjBIL.png?1

Season 2 - Filip Loncaric - 50 games, 8 goals, 1 assist, 19 clean sheets, 1 PoM award.

Season 3 - Filip Loncaric - 66 games, 16 goals, 4 assists, 26 clean sheets, 6 PoM awards, 7th top league scorer.

Total - 154 games, 34 goals, 6 assists, 62 clean sheets, 9 PoM awards.

I wasn't letting my GK take free-kicks because the competition for Serie A is still pretty intense and I don't want to let my GK taking the penaties be the difference between me winnning and losing the title. (Last season we only won by virtue of a better head to head record against Inter).

In addition to that first of all I was on a decent little run of not conceding goals, (finished at 8 games), and then I was on a good run of consecutive wins, (finished at 13 games). I am still unbeaten since the opening day of the season, (32 games), but I am less bothered about this than I was the other 2 runs.

In the last game we were 0-0 and down to 10 men at HT so I thought our unbeaten run might be coming to an end. When we scored in the 47th minute I took it as a sign and set my GK to take free-kicks as well as pens.

1. The 1st one was a deep cross from the right that wasn't cleared properly and after we recycled the ball it resulted in our 2nd goal.

2. The 2nd one was a tiny tap to the player standing beside him, (followed by a leisurely stroll backwards while I had my heart in my mouth).

3. The 3rd was a shot on goal from just outside the area that was spanked into the top right hand corner. (An absolute blooter of a free-kick).

I have played 20 Serie A matches this season and scored 0 direct free-kicks. I have my very average GK taking them for less than 45 minutes, and he has already spanked one in, (from only 2 shots).

(8th Lucio goal. 7 pens and 1 free-kick).

We have just conceded our first goal as a result of our GK taking free-kicks.

He took n free-kick out on the left flank, (any further up and I think he wouldn't have taken it because we would have used the corner routine instead). The ball went into the box and was headed out to an opposition player on their right flank and he just ran and ran into our own half, (while my GK seemingly made very little effort to get back in goal), and then half passed half shot into an empty net.

Why doesn't my GK run back as quickly as he runs up when he is taking a pen? :lol:

It's the Qtr Finals of the Champions League and we led 2-0 from the 1st leg. The game is now finely poised.

Will he be going up for the next free-kick? Damn right he will. :cool:

My San Marino save has been on hold for a bit while I went and did a mini World Cup save in T&TGF.

EnglandRuddy1_zps0707afa6.png

Different team, different GK, same end result.

EnglandGeorgiaOverview_zpsbcb86ec4.png

I'm dying to start scoring GK goals for the San Marino NT, but to be honest I'm so desperate to get our World ranking up, (it makes qualification so much easier), that so far I have bottled it.

:o

Lucio career stats.

He was produced by the AC Milan Academy and my scout found him early. I kept making bids and these were often accepted, (at quite reasonable amounts), but he was never interested in joining. I kept at it though until one day he just said yes. I can't remember why I agreed to loan him back to AC. I think I just thought he was too young at 18 and if I didn't want to play him, I at least wanted him to be playing elsewhere. That he kept 3 clean sheets in 4 Serie A games while only 17 is unusual, but when you see that he played in Europe for AC, (twice), aged only 16, you know you have got something special on your hands.

First part season. (2025/26). AC Milan. (Aged 15). 0 Appearances.

Season 1. (2026/27). AC Milan. (Aged 16). 0 Appearances.

Season 2. (2027/28). AC Milan. (Aged 17). 2 games. 1 Clean sheet.

Season 3. (2028/29). AC Milan. (Aged 18). 8 games. 6 Clean sheets.

Purchased by San Marino for £5.25M.

Season 4a. (2029/30). San Marino. (Aged 19). 0 Appearances.

Season 4b. (2029/30). AC Milan on loan. (Aged 19). 25 Appearances. 11 Clean sheets.

Season 5. (2030/31). San Marino. (Aged 20). 39 Appearances. 18 Clean sheets. 4 goals.

Season 6. (2031/32). San Marino. (Aged 21). 60 Appearances. 37 Clean sheets. 11 Goals. 4 Assists. Profile.

• 5 weeks later...
Lucio career stats.

He was produced by the AC Milan Academy and my scout found him early. I kept making bids and these were often accepted, (at quite reasonable amounts), but he was never interested in joining. I kept at it though until one day he just said yes. I can't remember why I agreed to loan him back to AC. I think I just thought he was too young at 18 and if I didn't want to play him, I at least wanted him to be playing elsewhere. That he kept 3 clean sheets in 4 Serie A games while only 17 is unusual, but when you see that he played in Europe for AC, (twice), aged only 16, you know you have got something special on your hands.

Season 4b. (2029/30). AC Milan on loan. (Aged 19). 25 Appearances. 11 Clean sheets.

Season 5. (2030/31). San Marino. (Aged 20). 39 Appearances. 18 Clean sheets. 4 goals.

Season 6. (2031/32). San Marino. (Aged 21). 60 Appearances. 37 Clean sheets. 11 Goals. 4 Assists. Profile.

Season 7. (2032/33). San Marino. (Aged 22). 56 Appearances. 38 Clean sheets. 9 Goals. 2 Assists. Profile.

Season 8. (2033/34).San Marino. (Aged 23). 50 Appearances. 27 Clean sheets. 15 Goals. 6 Assists. Profile.

Total San Marino Record. 6 Seasons. 230 appearances. 131 Clean sheets. 39 Goals. 12 Assists.

Summary. Lucio was injured this season and missed 7 games due to a hernia. In those 7 games we were awarded 4 penalties, (2 scored and 2 saved). When he came back he played ok, but was not at the same level as before and indeed neither were the team as a whole. He only scored 1 single goal, (a free-kick), in the last 15 games of the season. (He averaged a goal every 2nd game over the course of the season so obviously 1 in 15 is a big drop. I'm gutted that he fell away so much and that he was unable to beat the existing record of 16. At one point it looked like he was going to score closer to 30 goals than 20, but alas the injury put paid to that.

Lucio has scored 12 goals in the opening 30 games of the season, (half-way), but he has just got injured, (hernia), and will miss the next month. :thdn:

Gutted. :(

[Edit]

He missed 7 games while he was out injured and in those games we were awarded 4 penalties, (of which we only converted 2).

[Edit2]

And what does he do in his 1st game back? Spanks in another free-kick for his 13th goal of the season!

Been wanting to get involved in this for a while, and think I've just found the perfect Regen for the job. What you think of this guy?

Paqueta_zpsd733c634.png

10 for free-kick taking, 16 eccentricity, 12 rushing out, looks the right amount of crazy to be a quality goal-scoring keeper.

danm2501. At first glance I don't like Paqueta as a GK, but everything is relative and I have never heard of Kelantan so maybe they are quite a low level somewhere so who knows....

After googleing (e or no e?) I see that they are a Malaysian FC so maybe the standard is not what it might be elsewhere, and he is only 15 years old anyway, but...

1. He is smaller than 6ft. I never ever ever sign a GK who is shorter than 6'0".

2. Some of the attributes, (that I think important for GK's), seem poor. (aerial ability, decisions & positioning seem lacking).

3. I have never really understood what eccentricity is all about so......

4. Free-kick taking is good at 10. My guy is only 9 and is playing in Serie A and Champions league and while not exactly prolific from free-kicks, seems to score at about the same rate as anyone else I have asked to take them in the past.

5. If I was determined to play this guy then I think I would be playing him as a SK(a).

6. The penalty attribute for GK's, (while not at all important for anyone in my opinion), is not weighted for GK's. This is the full list of attributes that are not "weighted" for GK's.

0 - Eccentricity, Free Kicks, Penalty Taking, Rushing Out, Tendency To Punch, Aggression, Determination, Flair, Off The Ball, Natural Fitness

Overall, I would say that if there is even a chance that this bloke is going to be good enough to play for you in the first place, then why not go for him. The only real problem as I see it is that Brazilians kids can't leave Brazil before they are 18yo so are you going to miss out on a couple of years? Having said that, I didn't even sign Lucio until he was 19yo, and then immediately loaned him back out for a year so....

For me, the key to this mini-challenge is to select your GK the way you would otherwise select GK's but if it turns out that he is adept at scoring them great, keep him. If not, try and work out why he isn't great and then find someone else. I think composure might just be key for penalty taking, (where as penalty taking strangely isn't).

Anyway, good luck. :thup:

Lucio career stats.

Season 7. (2032/33). San Marino. (Aged 22). 56 Appearances. 38 Clean sheets. 9 Goals. 2 Assists. Profile.

Season 8. (2033/34).San Marino. (Aged 23). 50 Appearances. 27 Clean sheets. 15 Goals. 6 Assists. Profile.

Total San Marino Record. 6 Seasons. 230 appearances. 131 Clean sheets. 39 Goals. 12 Assists.

Summary. Lucio was injured this season and missed 7 games due to a hernia. In those 7 games we were awarded 4 penalties, (2 scored and 2 saved). When he came back he played ok, but was not at the same level as before and indeed neither were the team as a whole. He only scored 1 single goal, (a free-kick), in the last 15 games of the season. (He averaged a goal every 2nd game over the course of the season so obviously 1 in 15 is a big drop. I'm gutted that he fell away so much and that he was unable to beat the existing record of 16. At one point it looked like he was going to score closer to 30 goals than 20, but alas the injury put paid to that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because of this thread, I've decided to have my goalkeeper take freekicks and penalties whilst attempting dafuge's challenge..

Oddly, it was my second choice 'keeper who scored the first GK goal of the season - and it was from open play.

My other 'keeper, (a regen called ...something Hyde) has scored 4 thus far, all from the penalty spot. He's yet to miss one and has a penalty taking rating of 1. He's come close with a couple of freekicks, and hasn't yet been caught out on the counter.

Unfortunately, he's also a bit of an ass and has skipped training once and been papped twice stumbling out of a club so I've already lined up his replacement - which is a 16 year old kid by the name of McKie. He'll be used as of next season!

Apologies for the lack of screenshots, I'm stuck in work on a bank holiday with very little to do.

You sure that other person wasn't me, Jimbo? I used to have loads of goal-scoring GKs a few years ago. Haven't found one for a while now, though.

231048_10150610668290268_8310486_n.jpg

Note: Pretty sure the majority, if not all, of those were free kick goals.

I really think it was Nep, but I remember both of you being involved too at some point so feel free to bathe in the glory. :lol:

The FM08 records are nowhere near up to date though because I know for a fact that McIlmurray hit 100+. It's good to see some of the old names though. I remember Gylfi because he outscored whoever I had in FM07. I've got no pics of that and can't remember who I had at Lisburn before Mezo.....

Welcome baronia. :thup:

That's the best thing about a challenge like this. You can just do it as part of your existing save.

• 2 weeks later...

Only just decided to let my Keeper start taking penalties and I was of the impression he had scored 5 to date, however seeing his Biography, it claims he has 7!

Is there anyway to see the number of goals a goalkeeper has prior to their retirement, outside of what he has for this season?

Anyway, as the season has not yet finished, this is just a small update of him as he has only been my penalty taker for the last month or so.

Giacomo Venturi

| Season  | Matches | Conceeded | Cleansheets | Goals | PoM  | Rating |
| --------|---------|-----------|-------------|-------|------|--------|
| 2013-14 | 37      | 51        | 5           | 0     | 1    | 7.04   |
| 2014-15 | 44      | 45        | 20          | 0     | 1    | 7.12   |
| 2015-16 | 35      | 64        | 7           | 0     | 1    | 7.00   |
| 2016-17 | 15      | 21        | 3           | 7     | 2    | 7.33   |

Just stumbled across this thread, didn't even know it was back.

Anyway, I remember it fondly as it grew and took shape in saves in the European Adventure challenge at the time. Yeah I think it was you and Nep, Jimbo.:thup:

Good to see it back and I will be sure to keep tabs on the goalscoring gks of FM14.:cool:

Paul Faulkner

Not the greatest keeper in the World, but hasn't missed a penalty yet!

Season 1 - 2015/16 - 44 appearances, 5 goals (4 penalties, 1 DFK), 0 assists, 103 goals conceded, 2 clean sheets

Season 2 - 2016/17 - 48 appearances, 5 goals (3 penalties, 2 DFK), 1 assist, 62 goals conceded, 13 clean sheets

At 19, he's got a good few years in him yet - though I doubt he's good enough to stay in the team if I start working my way through the leagues.

TOTAL - 10 goals (7 penalties, 3 DFKs), 1 assist