Man-marking

In my most recent match in which the opposition striker was slaughtering us I told one of my DCs (my captain) to man-mark him and tightly. A few minutes later, with the change accepted, he goes racing off to the wing to "help" my DL against oppo's right winger in the process leaving the marauding ST in acres (honest, I measured!) of space into which the grateful winger plops the ball and ST scores his 3rd. Now, I can live with STs getting away from their markers but should I really be expecting my DC to get away from his markee?! It's the only time this game that I've given any of my players man-marking instructions. And the last. He's now transfer-listed and "helping" the U-18s team. Seriously, though, is this a game-issue (14.3.0 or 14.3.1., loading screen says former, Steam download says latter) or tactical naivety (confession: tactics, schmatics, me) on my part?

Man-marking is called "specific" man marking. You're specifically targeting one player. Did the AI change formation, sub a player or anything like that? I'm thinking the striker was moved to the right wing, either during a substitution, but more than likely a tactic change and your centreback was still tasked with marking him. Can you go back to check whether it was the same guy? It's the only answer I can come up with right now.

It sounds odd. Have you got any Team Instructions like Hassle Opponents in use too?

Yeah, I do, and I think that was the problem, plus I also realised in the Opposition Instructions I had both wingers on Always Close Down. D'oh! Still, I just assumed that it'd be my full backs closing them down.

HUNT3R: I gave the specific man to be marked, he was still playing as ST and no substitutions or obvious AI tactical changes between giving the instruction and the DC's brain-freeze.

If I recall, in FM13 I gave up on specific man-marking after watching too many of my DC's go blitzing off in the opposite direction to their man. Think I need some serious tactical study!

Archived