Most surprising England manager?

I've seen a few manage England that I wouldn't have expected. I'm in 2028 now. The strangest appointment I've seen has been Johan Neeskens (I have no idea who this is!), who took over from Roy Hodgson when he retired in 2014. He had a two year spell.

The rest had four years in charge and they were Jol, Laudrup, Mancini and the newly appointed Brendan Rodgers.

In a previous career I took the Man United job when Frank De Boer stepped down when he was appointed England manager.

I've seen Mourinho and Guardiola manage England but wouldn't say it was strange.

In FM 07 Paul Jewell destroyed England, they would either fail to qualify or get thrashed 3-0 by the teams in their group (whether it be Spain or Republic of Ireland). They also resort to hiring lower league managers (and players) rather than a foreign one, it seems.

I've seen a few manage England that I wouldn't have expected. I'm in 2028 now. The strangest appointment I've seen has been Johan Neeskens (I have no idea who this is!), who took over from Roy Hodgson when he retired in 2014. He had a two year spell.

The rest had four years in charge and they were Jol, Laudrup, Mancini and the newly appointed Brendan Rodgers.

Neeskens is one of the best Dutch players of all time. Bit of a surprise appointment though considering he's more of an assistant manager...

After Hodgson retired following his World Cup win, Vincenzo Montella took over and won the next two World Cups. He was later sacked after failing to win England's fourth successive World Cup, and replaced by Sami Hyypia who won it back, giving England their 4th victory in 5 tournaments.

I don't see it quite turning out like this tbh.

Rafa Benitez appointed after England failed miserably at WC 2014......god hell no!

Sami Hyypia who won it back, giving England their 4th victory in 5 tournaments.

Sami was appointed after Rafa was sacked and has so far got them to No.1 after winning the WC in 2018.

How do you not know who Neeskens is? One of the stars of the Cruyff era.

How do you not know who Neeskens is? One of the stars of the Cruyff era.

Because when he was in his prime, I wasn't even born yet and it would be another 15 years before I even started being vaguely interested in football. I've also never heard of him as manager, which is why it was strange.

The Newcastle Ass Man Carver, (is he still at Newcastle), used to always get the job in FM09.

In my game Roberto Martinez was appointed in 2016.

Neil Lennon replaced him in 2020.

Brendan Rodgers appointed in 2026 and is still in the job.

As for Neeskens, it would have got me too I think, (despite me being old enough to know better). mainly because I thought until know that his name was Neeskins. :o The names that really stand out for me are van der Kerkof (x2), Krol, Rep and of course Cruyff. Probably missed out someone of great importance.

Lionel Messi. Took over when I left in the mid-late 2040s on FM13. His last act as Arsenal manager was to beat my Enfield Town side in the FA Cup final. He also made my son captain of England, something I didn't do as I didn't want it to be seen as favouritism... He also won the World cup with them, calling up 17 of my club's players (even though I won the previous world cup with a whole squad of Enfield Town youth academy products).

Archived