Champions League Final - players think it's end of season

I had worst bug ever. Playing with Ajax, I'm in champs.league final. Dutch season ended around 10th of may, final is on 28th. Around 15th players started becoming tired and on final day some of them are "needing match fitness before season starts". My opponent is Bayern and they dont have that problem! Man I hate this. Any way to prevent/fix this?

Thnx.

Play a couple of friendlies to keep them fit.

Yeah, I had that idea but it's impossible to keep fitness level above 70%, friendly just made it worse, I've sent players on holiday for a week 10 days before final. I hate this, I've just had best season ever.

I won on penalties 5:4! Haha! My attacker ended with 32% condition! I've never seen it so low. Still cant believe I won. But it's definitely a bug. After final, players never went on "official" holiday, I was never asked for return date etc. Game literally connected 2 seasons without brake. Incredible. Does anyone know if this will be permanent problem?

The friendly made it worse...? How so? That seems highly improbable...

Why? When players finish season their fitness level drop to cca 70% and they go to holiday. I experienced fitness level drop with final coming. It just stayed around 70-75% and never went up. As I said I've sent players for a week on holiday before final and when they were back fitness level stayed at 70% and some of them wanted pre-season match fitness.

As soon as I've seen that fitness level dropped I arranged friendly but as I said it just made things worse, fitness went from 70 to 60%, they werent recuperating.

Do you play the same players week in, week out or do you rotate? I manage my squad in a way that fitness levels are always high and even when the games come thick and fast at the end of the season I rarely have to play a player with high 80's let alone in the 70's. One thing I use regularly is giving the players days off from training. Not holidays, just no training. Every week there isn't a midweek game the players a are given two or three days off.I would suggest in the nicest way possible that your problem stems from poor squad management rather than it be a bug.

Do you play the same players week in, week out or do you rotate? I manage my squad in a way that fitness levels are always high and even when the games come thick and fast at the end of the season I rarely have to play a player with high 80's let alone in the 70's. One thing I use regularly is giving the players days off from training. Not holidays, just no training. Every week there isn't a midweek game the players a are given two or three days off.I would suggest in the nicest way possible that your problem stems from poor squad management rather than it be a bug.

Its almost definitely a bug mate. I regularly play the same team if I need to be at full strength at the end of the season, and at no point ever on any edition have I had conditions as bad as that, never mind "needing match fitness before the new season". I think that that phrasing alone shows that something is working not quite as intended.

This has me a bit puzzled. It doesn't sound like a bug, but rather mismanagement? Correct me if I'm wrong!

"Around 15th players started becoming tired and on final day some of them are needing match fitness before season starts"

As far as I know that message is just a generic phrase to tell you that the player needs match fitness. They aren't tired, just lacking sharpness and as said that could be rectified with a friendly or two. The game differentiates between match fitness and physical condition for a reason.

So when you say they were becoming tired, what exactly do you mean? Did their physical condition go to 70% or did their match fitness level go to 70%? And was this after you sent them on holiday? Cos that sounds like a really bad idea :)

I can understand that fitness drops after the season is over and they go on holiday, but that doesn't happen until after the last match. At least I've never seen it happen, but I haven't been in a CL final with a Dutch team either.

The game differentiates between match fitness and physical condition for a reason.

Did their physical condition go to 70% or did their match fitness level go to 70%? And was this after you sent them on holiday?

This is what I want to know - if the match fitness was low, then a holiday was the worst idea. As for condition, if that was low, then that's strange.

Its almost definitely a bug mate. I regularly play the same team if I need to be at full strength at the end of the season, and at no point ever on any edition have I had conditions as bad as that, never mind "needing match fitness before the new season". I think that that phrasing alone shows that something is working not quite as intended.

But if it was a bug surely we would all experience it? Im in 2052 and have not once experienced anything like what the OP has spoken about. It sounds very much like poor squad management than a bug IMO.

Did their physical condition go to 70% or did their match fitness level go to 70%? And was this after you sent them on holiday? Cos that sounds like a really bad idea :)

It was very strange I'm telling you, physical condition dropped to 70% percent, whatever I did I couldnt raise it. First I tried friendly and when that didnt work, I've sent them to holiday to try to raise their physical condition. As far as poor squad managament, I'm not that kind of newbie, I rotate my squad regularly. If someone played with Dutch team in final can you confirm that something like this does not happen regularly. Also, as I stated before, I never got season brake after the final, everything just...continued.

To the OP, you're not using a modified database are you?

I only ask, because I had a sort of similar issue in FM12 where my team returned from Holiday and all their Conditions were at 40% - 50%. The pre-season friendlies just exhausted them even further and I had to carefully nurture them up to full fitness during the first two months of the full season. And that was with an edited DB.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, on the contrary to the topic - I am new here.

I have however dug out some old FM'14 save, played a bit with Ajax and the same story happened to me.

Since the CL semi-final I have been unable to schedule friendlies so all I could do was to watch my players' fitness deteriorate. Somehow Chelsea failed to capitalize on that and a single penalty within the 90 mins did the job for me.

Then however there seems to be no summer break at all. Same story indeed.

What I am interested in is whether this pattern has been observed more often or perhaps these quirks were relatively rare. Al, how did the situation evolve in your case? Anyone else?

Cheers,

Bawey

I'd say report it in the bugs forum. Have experienced the same thing myself, a few months ago.

I don't know this as a fact but merely an observation from my point of view.

When the season cuts off the physical condition and match fitness just plummets almost over night.

If you then experience a bug like that, where the game doesn't recognise that the season is still going, then you won't get the physical condition back up, no matter what. Nor the match fitness

due to being in an evil circle. Players aren't fit but you can't get them fit by playing them

At least you had your players available to you. Mine decided to go on a holiday a week before a very important

play-off game for promotion. It was only my team as well. Not a single other player for any other team was on a holiday.

Not a good thing when your job is already labelled "very insecure" :D

I can't say I've ever experienced it, but it sounds to me like the bottom line, if the players' match fitness plummets like that, it's almost certainly a bug. It might well fall in line with the same bug where the CL final happens after international callups. I'm not a game programmer but surely it wouldn't be all that difficult to recode the bit where the season is only over after all league, cup, and European fixtures are complete.

The only bug is possibly the not having the end of season break. Failing to see what's buggy about the Dutch league finishing when it usually does. If Ajax - or any other Dutch team - got to the Champions League final, you'd see the same issue with the big gap between fixtures. Last season in Scotland, Falkirk played their final league game on the 2nd of May. They then had to play the Scottish Cup final on the 28th of May.

The fitness part seems pretty logical to me too. They've had a long season, and will have heavy legs. Then they've got to wait weeks for their most important game of the season. Of course your fitness isn't going to look good.

The fitness part seems pretty logical to me too. They've had a long season, and will have heavy legs. Then they've got to wait weeks for their most important game of the season. Of course your fitness isn't going to look good.

I wanted to make some sort of sense of it too, but given the "Needs match fitness before the new season" indicators for B-teamers and me being unable to arrange any friendlies to keep the match fitness levels I just cannot believe it's right.

Besides, the only players who maintained their top fitness levels were the guys away at Gold Cup, as their seasons were clearly not over by then.

I'll look for that bugs thread but I am not sure anybody will care much about FM'14 these days.

Cheers,

Bawey

• 2 weeks later...

I've whinged about this for ages.

International call ups are just wonky sometimes.

I have a Champions League final on 6th June. My captain, indispensable BWM, is playing for South Korea in....Uzbekistan. You couldn't make it up.

On an old save in a Europa League final for Ajax I had my squad decimated purely on U19/U20/U21 call up's.

Every version I look for this fixed. No joy. :(

Archived