Does it make sense to sign veterans for my reserve team?

Really, this is down to you and your judgement.

It's not going to hurt and if it isn't going to take too much out of the budget then sure why not.

I've gone this before, and signed a few players who were past there best. Sometimes they can be more reliable than young kids if you are in a pinch due to injuries. Plus if they are close to retirement you can get them to stay on as coach or player/coach.

I say go for it if a) it's not going to cost you very much and b) your first team is set and strong.

Give veterans a chance! :)

I had Karagounis playing for my first team until he was almost 40, could bring him on with 30 minutes to go and he could change a game. Be it through a moment of technical brilliance or just having a calm head and rallying a team of young inexperienced players, he was a real asset. I also had Kyriagkos, Katsouranis, Vynta and Bosnjak all making active contributions to the first team way into their late 30s.

All were excellent tutors and are now members of backroom staff as well. Legends.

Just make sure you play them in a position where they don't need pace and you'll reap the benefit. (playmaker or defender in a deep counter formation).

I found their mental ability made a real difference on the pitch and they'd turn up when you really need them. (Ivan Bosnjak popped up with a 93rd minute cup final winner in his last game before retirement. The assist came from Karagounis also playing his last game :) )

I'd personally say no, as they may be taking up a position in the squad that somebody younger could be taking instead - I'm all for tutors, but I wouldn't ever sign them specifically for the reserve team.

The ONLY good thing about not being a full pro club is bringing in crappy old pro's who have a good personality type, but on non-contract terms. You can usually keep them for a season or 2 as no-one wants them, but they'll happily tutor your kids for no cost :) However, once you're pro and in the lower leagues, the money is usually best placed elsewhere. Once you're at the top of the game, these crappy players can be useful on cheap wages for tutoring again, however, realistically, if you've started in the lowers leagues, by the time you get to the top levels you'll have plenty of pro-tutors in your squad anyway :)

Archived