Forceing FM to use extra RAM

Hi so I recently upgraded my PC, new GPU and new RAM, so I now have 12GB of 2000MHz RAM, which to be fair will go largely unused playing FM, Most times I check in task manager its well under 1GB. I know a lot of other games I have played you can sort of bypass the max ram it uses using console commands and/or mods for example, just wondering if its possible to do it for FM. I realise a big discussion on here has been a 64bit version of the game to enable it to use more, but is that the only way FM will use more RAM?

Let's hope that people will buy new 64bit systems now that Windows is not supporting Windows XP anymore. Or make the full game 64bit only and keep classic mode 32bit compatible.

They'll never do that. Not a chance. At least not for the next 3 or 4 versions. You can't just say "let's hope that people buy 64 bit" - not everyone is in a position to have a top-of-the-range, or even mid-range system. They have to cater to the lowest market, which is still, emphatically, 32 bit.

Plus the difference between the two is going to be relatively negligible - they'd get more bang for their buck if they just optimised the game themselves.

They'll never do that. Not a chance. At least not for the next 3 or 4 versions. You can't just say "let's hope that people buy 64 bit" - not everyone is in a position to have a top-of-the-range, or even mid-range system. They have to cater to the lowest market, which is still, emphatically, 32 bit.

I'm not the most knowledgeable in this field but is it that hard to have two versions of the game? I know a lot of other programs have it. Since on 64 bit I can clearly still run 32bit applications is 64bit OS by default much more demanding on hardware? You say that not everyone is in the position to have a top of the range system but do you need one for 64x? I have Win 7 64x on a really **** laptop and I never noticed any problems. And the cost of the two OS's are near identical. Also you say they have to cater to the lowest market, why? with that attitude then there would be no progress in any games, how can other large game developers progress and not SI, surely you mean they must cater to the largest market which, since FM can run on older/lower systems is still 32 bit?

I'm not the most knowledgeable in this field but is it that hard to have two versions of the game? I know a lot of other programs have it. Since on 64 bit I can clearly still run 32bit applications is 64bit OS by default much more demanding on hardware? You say that not everyone is in the position to have a top of the range system but do you need one for 64x? I have Win 7 64x on a really **** laptop and I never noticed any problems. And the cost of the two OS's are near identical. Also you say they have to cater to the lowest market, why? with that attitude then there would be no progress in any games, how can other large game developers progress and not SI, surely you mean they must cater to the largest market which, since FM can run on older/lower systems is still 32 bit?

They have to cater to the lowest market because it would be a pretty poor business decision for such a niche game to completely eliminate anyone from buying the game. Especially over something like this, which probably won't make a massive difference in terms of performance. It's nothing to do with progress, it's about maximising their audience. Like I said, they'd be better optimising the game itself, rather than working on a 64-bit application until the absolutely massive majority is 64 bit. And it isn't yet.

Having two versions of the game...possibly. But it's probably not worth it yet. Risk/reward. They'll probably move to it once they only have to support that application, rather than working on a completely new one.

On the other hand, I for one, didn't buy 2014 because it is so dated. I'm waiting for the 64bit and proper multithreading, which would change radically the game. I'm not content with more of the same anymore.

Multithreading would come under the "optimisation" part for me, and it would definitely be something they should look into. 64-bit, probably not so much. It's a massively processor-heavy game, so properly utilising the extra cores that a lot of people have would be good.

On the other hand, I for one, didn't buy 2014 because it is so dated. I'm waiting for the 64bit and proper multithreading, which would change radically the game. I'm not content with more of the same anymore.

I'm sensing the same thing in my entourage, I don't know anybody with a 32bit system. Personally I think that if it slips under 5%, the benefits and positive publicity for a new revolution would outweigh the few people that aren't going to buy the game.

The Iphone 5s is 64bit and it doesn't even benefit from it (only 1gb ram), but the hype was so big that everyone is talking/creating/panicking about 64bit phones in the industry.

Can someone give me advice on my system possibly here. Ive a note very good-sluggish at times "Toshiba Satellitte L300D".What can i get to make it run Fm decently.Can play FM14 "just" takes a little more minute(s) or two than i would like it to.

Maybe it is multi-threading and optimisation rather than upping the RAM using and 64x, But I have noticed that the games performance has decreased massively for me over the last few years whilst I have been keeping a fairly up to date system. Sure I could play with less detail and leagues on but that is a compromise I shouldn't have to make especially since I'm not letting my hardware get out dated.

Can someone give me advice on my system possibly here. Ive a note very good-sluggish at times "Toshiba Satellitte L300D".What can i get to make it run Fm decently.Can play FM14 "just" takes a little more minute(s) or two than i would like it to.

I'm going to assume that's a laptop and that upgrades are out of the question. Easiest way probably to play with less detail and leagues smaller player data base, non game related option is to give it a good spring clean, get malwarebytes and ccleaner, run a virus scan, make sure you have no nastys. Or backup all your save files and other stuff you need and just reinstall windows. I have a desktop, and as a rule of thumb I reinstall windows at least once a year.

I don't know a game that scales that linear with more cores/threads as FM. The catch is that this mainly applies to the full match simulation, which likely is no coincidence. Whilst the load and calcuations of a typical game (AI calculation, physics, sound, etc.) are not very close to your typical application software scenario, FM sharing simulated matches evenly between cores and calculating them at once is. It's exact same packages and type of data (unlike in your typical real-time 3d gaming scenario), just assigned to every core and thread evenly and calculated in parallel. As such, unlike 3d games, in which fast dual cores can still often keep up with quad+ core processors of its generation, this ain't the case for the full match sim in FM, and benchmark results look more akin to heavily threaded application software rather than games. Naturally other areas of FM don't work quite the same, and it depends on your save details on how much you notice the benefit of more cores (or lack thereof).

Also, for the time being simply going 64bit "just because", I don't see much of dramatic benefit for now. FM's memory usage ain't that massive even loading all competitions into it, but then I've never added a massive array of user files that can effect memory usage as well. Whilst memory usage may not be the the only and sole advantage of going 64bit, it's still hard to imagine there'd be a massive boost in performance just because of such a switch. "64bit" looks good in advertising, we just love bigger numbers as they appear to equal improvement, but beneath it all often lies a clever marketing ploy. Eventually the switch will happen anyway, but for the time being I don't see the buzz as far as FM is concerned. 64bit is the future, naturally, but don't translate that into thinking it to to be a must for everything right now. Or to put it in another way: The reason why the memory usage is that low has naught to do with it being a 32 bit application. It has to do with the game not needing that much memory in the first place.

I don't know a game that scales that linear with more cores/threads as FM. The catch is that this mainly applies to the full match simulation, which likely is no coincidence. Whilst the load and calcuations of a typical game (AI calculation, physics, sound, etc.) are not very close to your typical application software scenario, FM sharing simulated matches evenly between cores and calculating them at once is. It's exact same packages and type of data (unlike in your typical real-time 3d gaming scenario), just assigned to every core and thread evenly and calculated in parallel. As such, unlike 3d games, in which fast dual cores can still often keep up with quad+ core processors of its generation, this ain't the case for the full match sim in FM, and benchmark results look more akin to heavily threaded application software rather than games. Naturally other areas of FM don't work quite the same, and it depends on your save details on how much you notice the benefit of more cores (or lack thereof).

Also, for the time being simply going 64bit "just because", I don't see much of dramatic benefit for now. FM's memory usage ain't that massive even loading all competitions into it, but then I've never added a massive array of user files that can effect memory usage as well. Whilst memory usage may not be the the only and sole advantage of going 64bit, it's still hard to imagine there'd be a massive boost in performance just because of such a switch. "64bit" looks good in advertising, we just love bigger numbers as they appear to equal improvement, but beneath it all often lies a clever marketing ploy. Eventually the switch will happen anyway, but for the time being I don't see the buzz as far as FM is concerned. 64bit is the future, naturally, but don't translate that into thinking it to to be a must for everything right now. Or to put it in another way: The reason why the memory usage is that low has naught to do with it being a 32 bit application. It has to do with the game not needing that much memory in the first place.

You sound like you know in a bit more detail of the inner workings. So if there is one thing you could do to improve the performance, excluding lowering your standards of detail, is it CPU power then more so than, the other common upgrades, RAM, harddrive speed and GPU. I just feel generally the loading times in between continue clicks has been getting much longer, and as such the game in general takes longer to proceed so seasons progress at a much slower rate.

You sound like you know in a bit more detail of the inner workings. So if there is one thing you could do to improve the performance, excluding lowering your standards of detail, is it CPU power then more so than, the other common upgrades, RAM, harddrive speed and GPU. I just feel generally the loading times in between continue clicks has been getting much longer, and as such the game in general takes longer to proceed so seasons progress at a much slower rate.

Yes. With FM it is all about the CPU.

64-bit CPUs will also give you performance improvements. It's not just about increasing the word size - x86-64 has twice the number of registers so applications built to use 64-bit processors will actually (in-general) run quicker compared with their 32-bit counterparts. Number-intensive applications will have a notable performance boost as they are register-intensive.

You don't have to block out 32-bit users - you can just compile two binaries: one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit.

Is it a design choice that its so CPU heavy ? Or is it just down to the type of calculations being run just use the CPU over the GPU? Is there a conscious decision being made to keep it CPU so players don't need stand alone GPU to play?

Also I'm new to overclocking so I didn't go too mad, but I got my CPU from 2.9GHz up to 3.6GHz fairly easily. Does RAM speed come into play much? I ask as my 2000MHz RAM is only running at 1600MHz (up from 1060MHz) now as my older i7 is a bit dated for higher speeds of RAM I'm told, and requires a lot more tweaking to get it up to them speeds.

I was meant to try that Benchmark posted above, before and after but I forgot. If I notice a big change I'll report back, might end up putting it back to default, testing, then OC'ing it again

Ok, apologies in advance but the title of this thread is sending my spelling OCD into orbit. Is there any chance that it can be changed pretty please? :(

I know it's just a spelling mistake or a typo, but it is doing my head in because this thread won't die. :o

Ok, apologies in advance but the title of this thread is sending my spelling OCD into orbit. Is there any chance that it can be changed pretty please? :(

I know it's just a spelling mistake or a typo, but it is doing my head in because this thread won't die. :o

No-ones fourcing you to reed it Kimbojav...

Archived