My New (New) Save! [FM 14]

pezza1

After the completion of magicmastermind124's FMUpdates EEE - England, Enhanced, Expanded Update I had to quit the game I had in progress in order to use this file. My set up will be as follows:

41ff6b2d-da41-4bcb-b713-21fa51d01b13.png

adb4eb97-59c8-4b77-a1fe-0e53786c8d88.png

I have no real aims in the career except I would probably like to start in the lower reaches of the English pyramid, seeing as I started a new game just to use the expansion! Here is my profile:

profilestart.png

I have started off unemployed as usual and have applied for all available jobs. Lets Begin!

August - 2013

Sunday, 18th August 2013

After applying for all of the jobs available I quickly get 2 interviews with Portuguese National Championship sides. They were Riachense and Lus. Vildemoinhos.

Tuesday, 20th August 2013

Two days later I then have interviews with Chipstead and Sittingbourne who are both in the Ryman League Division 1 South.

Wednesday, 21st August 2013

A massive 8 clubs offer me interviews. They were: Radcliffe Borough, Eastwood Town, AFC Sudbury, Chalfont St. Peter, Lewes (a level 7 side), St. Ives Town, North Greenford Utd and Darlington 1883. Also I found out that I have not been offered the job with Lus. Vildemoihos.

Thursday, 22nd August 2013

Sittingbourne offer me the job to become their manager. I am happy to except! I am on a 1 year contract on £275 p/w.

Sittingbournebadge.png

Season Preview - 2013/14 - Sittingbourne

Board Expectations

Ryman Isthmian League Division 1 South - Mid Table

FA Cup - 1st qualifying Round

FA Trophy - Just compete

Robert Dyas Isthmian Football League Cup - Not important

Kent County FA Senior Cup - Not important

Personal Expectations

The club sit in 15th place at the time of my arrival with 4 points from 4 games and we havent played in any of the cup competitions yet. I think at this level a lot of the teams are quite similar in terms of quality so if I can get the best out of my team I think that finishing somewhere in mid-table should be achievable. The FA Cup is the only competition that the board seem concerned about. We have been drawn at home against Dunston Utd, who are a (even) lower league club. If we win that we will meet all of the boards expectations for cup competitions this season.

Budgets

Transfer: £0

Wages: £453 p/w (spending £443)

Balance: £13,664

Squad

The squad is actually pretty thread bare. We don't even have a proper goalkeeper at the moment, so, with most of the wage budget being used, I may look to the loan market to bolster the squad.

Club History

49186c0b-6fc7-49c3-8877-58db35ea372a.png

Monday, 26th August 2013

(Ryman Isthmian League Division 1 South)

Sittingbourne 3 - 2 Hastings Utd

My first game in charge got off to the best possible start with Taylor smashing home from 20 yards after just 20 seconds. The game turned on its head after just 9 minutes though as Hastings first equalised through King from a poorly defended corner, and then took the lead trough a great strike from Olorunda. With minutes remaining in the first half Bruce scrambled home from 6 yards after a good move on the right. The second half was more cagey but we managed to grab the winner in the 73rd minute with a goal from substitute Isaacs.

Tuesday, 27th August 2013

Joe Taylor's goal against Hasting Utd after 20 seconds is a new club record.

We sign Jack Vasey on loan from Boreham Wood until the end of the season. I signed him to bolster the squad in general and the center of defense in particular.

We sign Malachi Robinson on loan from Crawley until the end of the season. Hoping his pace will be an asset on the left wing.

Saturday, 31st August 2013

(FA Cup Preliminary Rd)

Sittingbourne 0 - 2 Dunston UTS

A game of few chances saw us fall behind in the 35th minute through a good strike from Manship. A strike on the counter by Stirling on 73 minutes sent us out of the FA Cup.

bee256ca-9eb6-4d8b-a397-d7c87cfa65b8.png

Manager Thoughts

After my 1 league game in charge we move up a place to 14th. We are just 3 points from the playoffs but its early days. There has been a lot of activity in a short space of time, so Im looking forward to settling the squad down soon and trying to pick up a few points. The FA Cup exit was disappointing and hopefully we can make up for it with a good run in the FA Trophy. My early impressions of the squad are that we dont have enough players and the ones we do have are way overpaid. I may need to offload a few of the bigger earners in order to flesh out the squad with more (cheaper!) players.

• 2 weeks later...

September - 2013

Sunday, 1st September, 2013

Club anounce new shirt sponsorshio deal for 2 years worth 5 grand per annum.

Herne Bay and Hythe offer contracts to Nick Treadwell. I counter with an offer of my own as I have a small squad and really need to keep all my players.

Teusday, 3rd September, 2013

(Kent FA Senior Cup 1st Round)

Sittingbourne 1 - 3 Folkstone

Bruce gave us a half time lead with a fantastic strike to round off a good first half performance. We fell to pieces in the second half though as King grabbed 2 goals in 3 minutes shortly after the interval to give Folkstone the lead. Our exit from the competition was sealed when Vasey gave away a penalty with 13 minutes remaining which Sullivan converted.

Wednesday, 4th September, 2013

Uxbridge offer contract to Nick Treadwell.

Thursday, 5th September, 2013

We sign Danny Harmon on on from Northampton Town until the end of the season. I signed him mainly to bump up the numbers. I think he will be mostly a backup player.

Saturday, 7th September, 2013

(Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South)

Sittingbourne 3 - 2 Hythe

We started this game strongly against good opponents and went into half time with a 1 goal advantage through Koroma. We then exploded out of the traps in the second half with Taylor scoring and Koroma adding a second to send us into a comfortable 3-0 lead. Goals from Cloke (69th min) and Dickie (83rd min) made it an anxious last few minutes but we sat back and defended more solidly after that to get a great league win

We sign Ashleigh James on a free transfer. Hes a good central midfielder with reasonable technical attributes for this level. I'll be looking to start him in a advanced playmaker role from central midfield.

Malachi Robinson out for 4 to 5 weeks with a broken wrist.

Barton Rovers and Waltham Forest offer contracts to Nick Treadwell.

Monday, 9th September, 2013

Nick Treadwell signs a new deal with us.

Teusday, 10th September, 2013

Horsham 0 - 2 Sittingbourne

We got off to a great start against Horsham, taking the lead through Danny Harmon after just 6 minutes. We put in a fantastic defensive display from that point onwards to restrict the league leaders chances and hit them on break with minutes remaining with a nice individual effort from Taylor to wrap up the points. Very pleased with my first away win and first clean sheet.

Wednesday, 11th September, 2013

Grays and Bedford offer contracts to Ashley Ulph. Again, I also offer contract as I simply dont have the players to be letting anyone go at this stage.

Sunday, 15th September, 2013

Ulph moves to Grays Athletic on a free transfer. It was always going to be difficult to keep when a team from a higher division came calling.

Tuesday, 17th September, 2013

Folkstone 5 - 3 Sittingbourne

I decided for this match to sit a little deeper and try and hit my opponents on the counter, however this backfired in spectacular fashion, as first a goal from Dane Lunch and 3 goals for Sammy Cliff, gave Folkstone a 4-0 lead inside 16 minutes. I gave the players a rocket at half time as well as making a few tactical tweaks and things started to turn around. Medi Koroma pulled a goal back right at the start of the second half before Danny Harmon added a second just 6 minutes later. In the 70th minute George Bruce bundled home a corner as I was beginning to believe we could pull off a great comeback. Alas, it was not to be as Folkstone went straight up the other end and scored a 5th which knocked the wind out of our sails. The game petered out after that.

The match did produce a new club and league record for goals in a game.

Saturday, 21st September, 2013

(FA Trophy Preliminary Round)

Sittingbourne 0 - 2 Ware

We dominate possession in the first half, but neither team creates any meaningful chances and it remains 0-0 until half time. Its much the same in the second half until Behaldeen heads home from a corner for them on the hour mark. He then scores an identical goal 7 minutes later to leave our FA Trophy dreams in tatters.

Ashley James twists his knee and will be out for 4 to 5 weeks

Sunday, 22nd September, 2013

Sandro Semedo signs on loan from Cholchester Utd until the end of the season. He will be a backup player most likely but I have a few injuries so he may get some game time for the foreseeable future.

Wednesday, 25th September, 2013

Corinthian-Casuals 3 - 1 Sittingbourne

We start well in a game of few chances but concede first on 35 mins. when Gullick heads home from a corner (I can see Im going to have to work on defensive set pieces!). Gullick adds a second on the stroke of half time after a through ball floated over my defence. Hewitt adds a third on 52 mins. and its really game over. Nick Treadwell is able to pull a goal back from the penalty spot but we still crash to a 3rd defeat on the spin.

Saturday, 28th September, 2013

Thamesmead offer a contract to Joe Taylor. I counter as I need all my players!

a2b1608c-ff1c-4157-9e43-5a238104f1f3.png

Managers Thoughts

That was a tough month for us. With all the comings and goings there is a lot more time needed for the squad to gel. Despite this we still lie in the top half of the table and if we can settle the squad down hopefully we can consolidate this position. We only have the Isthmian league cup left now so concentrating on the league wont be an issue. Our defending is also shocking so that's something I will have to look over the next month.

October - 2013

Tuesday, 1st October, 2013

Nick Davis bruises a shin in training and will be out for 9 to 12 days

Joe Taylor rejects Thamesmead and signs a new deal!!

Wednesday, 2nd October, 2013

East Thurrock offer Nick Davis a contract. Sick of this now!! We cannot match his demands so he will likely leave as they are higher division.

Friday, 4th October, 2013

Nick Davis rejects East Thurrock over his appearance fee.

Wednesday, 9th October, 2013

(Robert Dyas Isthmian League Cup 2nd rnd)

Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) 1 - 1 (6-7 pens.) Maidstone (Ryman Premier)

I decide to pack the midfield for this match as we sit back and try to soak up pressure from our higher ranked opponents. We do a great job and go into the break 0-0. The second half is much the same, although we are starting to counter with a the odd chance of our own. We take a shock lead when Taylor heads home from a swift counter attack. We cant hold on though as Collin scrambles home a corner that we fail to clear and that's how the game finishes. There is no extra time so we go straight to penalties. Winnet has the decisive penalty saved and we lose the shoot out 6-7. A brave effort from the players though.

Friday, 11th October, 2013

England qualify for the World Cup Finals following a 1-0 win over Poland

Wednesday, 16th October, 2013

Sittingbourne (12th) 1 - 2 Crawley Down (10th)

We get off to a dream start as Koroma gives us the lead after 4 minutes through a route one flick on from our goalkeepers kick. Crawley Down slowly begin to take control of the match though as we struggle with their 5 man midfield. Our goalkeeper then somehow manages to let a cross from Robinson slip through and into the net in the 33rd min. In the second half its more of the same and eventually Crawley Down take the lead as Rich heads home a left wing cross. We huff and puff without making much headway although we do hit the bar with 10 minutes left. 5 matches now without a win.

Saturday, 19th October, 2013

Nick Treadwell signs for Kirkley and Pakefield on a free transfer. He had around 10 offers from other clubs and has been highly sort after. I could not offer him an improved contract as I was already over my wage budget. I'm disappointed he left me to join a lower division team just for the money, not to mention hours before kickoff of our match!

Sittingbourne (14th) 0 - 4 Three Bridges (12th)

Losing Treadwell before kickoff was a blow, but we still got off to a terrible start as a hopeful shot from Touray slipped through what I'm increasingly finding is a hapless goalkeeper. The lead was doubled soon enough as my defence parted like the red sea to allow Touray to grab his second. We improved at the start of the second half but a one-on-one miss by Koroma was punished as another hopeful shot from range by Blake found its way into our net. Touray completed his hattrick after being slipped in again on 66 mins after which the game petered out as I looked to simply make sure we didn't let anymore goals in.

6 games without a win is a new club record.

Saturday, 26th October, 2013

Sittingbourne (15th ) 1- 0 Merstham (5th)

At last a win! Despite having less of the ball and fewer attempts at goal we created 5 CCC to their 1 and deserved the win. Medi Koroma grabbed the only goal of the match in the first half after a nice flick on from Taylor. We saw out the second half comfortably enough, although it was frustrating not to get a second goal after we missed a few great chances. Also happy with only our second clean sheet since I took over.

Thursday, October 31st, 2013

Marlow offer contract to Hicham Akhazzan. I cannot offer him an improved deal due to being over my wage budget already.

0b7ee84c-936d-4894-a1ea-d8ea6adb6343.png

Manager Thoughts

I was definitely relieved to get that win at the end of the month to stop our bad run. With teams offering contracts to all my non-contract players the squad still has an unsettled feel. Couple this with adding lots of players on loan and squad gelling is still poor and it seems to be effecting our performances and results. We are just 6 points from the playoff places, but also just 6 points from the bottom 3 so the next couple of months will be crucial in deciding whether we are in a relegation scrap , a playoff push or floating aimlessly in mid table.

November - 2013

Saturday, 2nd November, 2013

Marlow sign Hacham Akhazzan on a free transfer. I now have only 2 recognized strikers in my squad now with no money left in the wages to add another one. I asked my assistant to find me a loan signing and he came up with nothing!

Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South

Ramsgate (14th) 2 - 0 Sittingbourne (16th)

Despite Ramsgates league position I knew this would be a tough match. They are under achieving this season for sure. We play well in the first half and have the better chances but Koroma miss 2 one-on-ones. We are punished with 5 minutes to go before the break when Murray finishes a neat move from six yards. The second half gets off to the worst start when Chapman finishes well from a ball over the top. The boys kept going and showed a lot of spirit but we never looked like coming back into the game after that. A decent performance but a disappointing result.

Wednesday, 6 November, 2013

Leatherhead (18th) 3- 1 Sittingbourne (17th)

Playing a team around us I was hoping to pick up a result and build on the last couple of performances. We started poorly though, giving away possession time and again. We went behind in the 17th minute when Barratt finished a neat passing move. We clung on, until stoppage time of the first half, when a good passing move by ourselves resulted in a penalty for us, which Taylor converted. The second half, however, was much the same as we gave the ball away cheaply, and eventually the pressure told as Easlea clipped a freekick over my wall on 56 minutes. We started to create a few chances as we pushed forward for an equaliser but the game was over on 74 minutes as Bradbrook sealed the points for Leatherhead.

Saturday, 16th November, 2013

Sittingbourne (18th) 3- 2 Guernsey (17th)

Another game against a team around us, this time at home. We needed to pick up something. We had a great first half and hour as Koroma scored twice. But a Ross Allen strike gave the visitors something to cling onto going into the break. Koroma burst behind the defence to complete his hattrick on the hour to restore our 2 goal cushon, but once again Guernsey hit back, with Heath netting with 5 minutes left. It was a nervy ending, but we held on to pick up a crucial win.

Saturday, 23rd November, 2013

Faversham (3rd) 2-2 Sittingbourne (15th)

Fryatt gave Faversham the lead on 22 minutes after some poor defending allowed Hunter to slip him through. We stood toe to toe with the promotion hopefuls though, and got to half time just the goal down. Harmon then finished a Taylor cross from 4 yards to bring the scores level in the second half. Faversham took the lead for a second time in the 74th minute when Peackock converted from a long throw. We showed fantastic spirit to find an equaliser 5 minutes from time when Taylor got behind the defence to grab a well deserved point.

Saturday, 30th November, 2013

Chipstead (24th) 1- 3 Sittingbourne (15th)

Bottom club Chipstead had amassed just 6 points going into to this game so I felt it was one we should be winning. The first half was a dire affair however, with only Koroma having a half chance on goal saved. We finally made the breakthrough when Gray headed home from a corner. Koroma doubled our lead on 74 minutes and I thought we were home and dry. But just 4 minutes later Cairns smashed in off the crossbar to set up a panicky finish, however, Harmon finished a nice moved with 5minutes left to seal the victory

1cf01424-3361-4868-9ce6-5430ec522a5c.png

Manager Thoughts

We are firmly entrenched in the middle of the table, but I'm happy with the month overall, as we finally seem be settling down in terms of the playing staff. I'm hoping now to really just meet the boards expectations for the season and build again next year. Even at this stage I already have plans to simply dismantle this whole team and build a new one from scratch. This isn't usually my style, but I feel the squad is not good enough and I will need another season after this to get it into shape. In the mean time, I just have to try and get the best out of what I have and get the team as high up the league as possible

December - 2013

Monday 2nd December, 2013

Tom Brunt wants to discuss his lack of first team football. I tell him he can leave at the end of the season. He is not happy!

Wednesday 4th December 2013

Tom Brunt hands in transfer request. I reject it.

Sittingbourne (14th) 1 - 0 Peacehaven (22nd)

Another important match against a side in the relegation zone. We started the game solidly enough and took the lead on 33 minutes when a goal kick from Farr went over the Peacehaven defense and saw Semedo run through and finish well off the post. The second half was more end to end, with both teams having chances, however we hung on to claim another big win.

Friday, 6th December, 2013

England drawn against Australia, Egypt and Germany in the World Cup group stage

Saturday, December 7th, 2013

Sittingbourne (12th) 1-1 Eastbourne Town (13th)

This game started cagely, but some ametuer defending from Beale allowed a cross from the right to be slotted home by Curruthers. We hit back on 34 minutes with some neat passing finished by Koroma, who bagged his 10th goal of the campiagn. We started the second half positively and missed 2 great chances in the space of a minute. Both teams seemed to run out of steam though and the game fizzled out into a draw.

Saturday, 14th December, 2013

Tooting & Mitcham (22nd) 3-1 Sittingbourne (12th)

Tooting & Mitcham went with a diamond formation, which we tried to counter act by attacking and pressing high up the pitch. The plan seemed to be working in a tight first half when we took the lead through Koroma on 43 minutes. But right before half time Tooting got an equaliser through Pinnock. Tooting and Mitcham then took control of the second half and took the lead when Binson sped through our defense and finished with Farr at fault as he was out of position. Gibson then added a 3rd for Tooting and Mitcham after a swift counter attack had put him clear. We created some chances after this but never really looked like getting back into the game.

Wednesday, 18th December, 2013

Sittingbourne (13th) 3-0 Walton & Hersham (12th)

Sandro Semedo scored from an acute angle after just 5 minutes to get us off to a great start. The rest of the first half saw us in control without threatening too much on goal. Medi Koroma added our second 10 minutes into the second half after a great through ball from Semedo sent him away. Koroma sealed the victory 10 minutes later with a header, after great work from Robinson on the left hand side. Probably the most comfortable match of the season so far.

Saturday, 21st December, 2013

Walton Casuals (2nd) 3-1 Sittingbourne (10th)

We gave a good account of ourselves in the first half, matching Walton Casuals in terms of chances created. However a mad couple of minutes before half time saw us concede 2 goals. Traynor scored the first, following up a shot that hit both posts, and then Brookes headed home from a corner. We kept going, and the second half was much the same as the first, with both sides making chances. We started to dominate and finally scored through a header from Nick Davies from a corner with 5 minutes left. We threw everyone forward in search of an equalizer, but were caught on the counter in stoppage time.

Thursday, 26th December, 2013

Sittingbourne (13th) 4-1 Worthing (21st)

We started the game well controlling posession. We opened the scoring on 18 minutes with a screamer from Ashleigh James and continued to dominate for the rest of the half without adding to our lead. We took our foot of the gas at the start of the second half and it was no surprise when Osobu equalised. Worthing were looking the more likely to score again, however, a break down the right by Harmon saw his cross hit Koroma and fly into the net to put us back in the lead. After that it was one way traffic as Koroma added a third from a Petitt freekick and Harmon scored from a tight angle making it 3 goals in 6 minutes. We continued to make chances but couldnt add to our tally.

Tuesday, 31st December, 2013

Ashleigh James signs a new contract for £40p/w until June 2015

9926a36e-7e28-4d52-a875-220571cf53a1.png

Manager Thoughts

Im fairly happy with the month overall and was pleased to pick up 3 wins and a draw. The Tooting & Mitcham defeat was disappointing, although I must take the blame for that one as I didn't set the team up right to deal with their diamond midfield. We are still firmly in midtable but if we can put a run together the playoffs aren't completely beyond us yet. We will need to improve our away form for this to happen though.

A few good wins there, good to see you're making your way slowly up the table. Bet the player turnover was a bit frustrating at the start but good to see it has settled down now

The squad I started with were virtually all on non-contracts meaning they were available for free and lots of teams have been sniffing around, and finally signed them. Even with 4 season long loans I have a squad of 16 with no youth players. January is not going quite so well, and now I've picked up a couple of injuries its going to be very difficult to pick up points for the foreseeable future. Just want to get through this season and revamp the entire squad!

Gotta love the really low lower leagues where you can't even afford to put a full team on the field with the budget some of them have. Good work in your first season so far.

Despite the obvious frustrations, I am still loving the challenge so far!

January - 2014

Wednesday, 1st January, 2014

Whitstable (3rd) 2-1 Sittingbourne (12th)

The new year got off to the worst possible start as Whitstable took the lead after only 6 minutes, with Lodge unmarked in the 6 yards box from a corner smashing home. We struggled to get any foothold into the game but somehow, against the run of play we got ourselves level. Malachi Robinson hitting a half volley into the corner from a James cross. The second half was more of the same as Whitstable dominated and Vahid headed them back in front after 50 minutes. After that it was all very routine for our opponents as we never threatened to score again, and, in fact, we were lucky not to concede any further goals.

Saturday, 4th January, 2014

Burgess Hill (13th) 2-1 Sittingbourne (12th)

We again started the game slowly, going behind after 7 minutes as a throw in from the left rolled all the way into out penalty box before Harding smashed home off the underside of the bar. We rallied, and started to put them under pressure, which told, as Vasey slotted home a Harmon corner. We continued to push for the rest of the half but missed some great chances. The second half started as badly as the first, with James giving away a penalty in the 50th minute, which Kirkwood converted. We continued to create and miss chances as the half wore on but we couldnt find an equalizer.

Wednesday, 8th January, 2014

Sittingbourne (13th) 2-0 Redhill (22nd)

We got off to the best possible start as a well worked corner found Vasey free in the six yeard box to easily slot home his second in two matches. As the first half wore on Redhill did threaten on the counter attack although we were also still creating chances. Then on the half hour Taylor got the crucial second goal after good work on the left from Beale and Robinson. The second half was extremely comfortable with us mainly creating half chances, but it was nice to get back to winning ways and doing it with a clean sheet.

Saturday, 11th January, 2014

Sittingbourne (12th) 0-1 Herne Bay (9th)

We started brightly in this match and were creating alot of chances but we couldn't find the net. Koroma was particularly guilty of missing a couple of guilt edge chances in a goalless first half. We started much the same in the second half, until Ollie Gray picked up a second yellow card for diving, and we were down to ten men. This seemed to even the game up, and we were behind as a cross from the left by Murray somehow found its way into the net past my useless goalkeeper. We tinkered with the formation slightly and started to create more chances but could not force an equalizer.

Ollie Gray receives an automatic 1 match ban for his red card

Malachi Robinson will be out for 6 to 8 weeks with a twisted ankle

Tuesday, 14th January, 2014

Ashleigh James suffers a thigh strain in training and will be out for 4 to 5 weeks

Saturday, 18th January, 2014

Hastings Utd (13th) 3-0 Sittingbourne (14th)

We started the game poorly, struggling to keep possesion and not creating any chances so it was not suprise when Hastings took the lead on the half hour. After Semedo gave the ball away, a ball over the top was missed by Vasey and Farr in goal and headed in by Sam Adams. Right on the stroke of half time Nouble doubled Hastings advantage after a mad scramble inside the box where we were unable to clear our lines. We played better in the second half and missed a couple of good chances to get back into the match, but Adams wrapped up the points on 72 minutes.

Monday, 20th January, 2014

Newport (IOW) offer a contract to Simon Pettit. I attempted to offer him a contract to make him stay but he rejected the highest offer I could give which was £20 p/w.

Wednesday, 22nd January, 2014

Simon Pettit signs for Newport (IOW) until June 2015

Thursday, 23rd January, 2014

Tom Brunt is named new club vice-captain

Saturday, 25th January, 2014

Sittingbourne (15th) 0-0 Folkstone (3rd)

With the loss of Pettit and a couple of injuries we were down to a squad of just 13 and "grey" players. So I go into the match looking to shut up shop. Folkstone have the better of the first half, but we create the best chance as Taylor's shot on the turn is well saved. The second half is much the same with Folkstone forcing a lot of corners. But we defend well and only give up one good chance that perhaps Radford might have done better with. We have one final chance in stoppage time when Semedo is put through by Taylor, but another good save from their goalkeeper denies us a smash-and-grab three points.

Wednesday, 29th January, 2014

Hythe (7th) 0-4 Sittingbourne (15th)

We went into the game looking to keep it tight, and we managed this in the 20 minutes, restricting Hythe to long range efforts. Then Taylor put us ahead against the run of play after Hythe failed to clear a corner. Then a minute late Semedo played a long ball over the top which Taylor ran onto and finished to make it 2-0. Hythe were crumbling and after 34 minutes Taylor had grabbed his hattrick, finishing a Harmon cross from 6 yards. In the second half we were in complete control and added a forth, when Koroma headed in another Harmon cross. We created further chances to add to our tally, as well as having a goal chalked off for offside, but all in all, a fantastic win and performance.

776aafcd-603e-4dd4-9fa7-55c8a68cbede.png

Manager Thoughts

January proved to be another difficult month, with Pettit leaving and picking up a couple of injuries, leaving the squad pretty thin on the ground. However the last 2 performances definitely give cause for optimism and hopefully when James and Robinson return from injury, we can have a strong finish to the season. We still look like we will reside in mid table come the end of the season. Its nice though, to have a 12 point cushion between ourselves and the bottom 3. However being 11 points from the playoffs with 16 games to go, its looking unlikely that we will be getting any shot at promotion this year

February - 2014

Saturday, 1st February, 2014

Sittingbourne (15th) 0-3 Horsham (7th)

Horsham started the game on the front foot after surprising us with a 442 formation. Their pressure tells as they take the lead, Charman having time to control and finish inside the 6 yard box from a corner. Its quickly 2-0 after 20 minutes when Vasey gives away a dubious penalty which Rees converts. Just 5 minutes later, we conceed a third, Charman finishing a slick passing move. I pushed the team further forward and we begin to improve as the half wears down, and we are unfortunate not to pull a goal back when Davis heads against the bar from 2 yards. In the second half we dominate without creating great chances, Winnet coming closest as he strikes the bar from an 18 yard volley. A disappointing defeat after the previous 2 results.

Saturday, 8th February, 2014

Crawley Down (18th) 3-2 Sittingbourne (15th)

We started the game positively and were looking the most likely to score when Semedo gave us the lead on 21 minutes after good work from Harmon on the right.

We saw out the first half comfortably enough in what was ultimately a dull half. The second half started great for us as we were given a penalty which Beale converted. Then it all fell apart. First Koroma gave the ball away cheaply allowing a Crawley Down breakaway, ending with Fishwick following up after O'Kane hit the post. On 67 minutes, Bruce then gave the ball away to allow Fishwick to turn provider and O'Kane to lob Farr from 20 yards. Crawley Downs comeback was complete when Farrs poor kick started a move that Robinson would finish with 8 minutes remaining.

Curtis Winnet suffers a thigh strain and will be out for 4 to 5 weeks

Sunday, 9th February, 2014

England drawn in group E in the European Championship qualifying along side Denmark, Liechenstein, Scotland and Slovakia

Saturday, 15th February, 2014

Sittingbourne (17th) 3-0 Corinthian-Casusals (21st)

We started the game well and scored early as a great ball from James found Taylor who crossed for Koroma to score his 17th goal of the season. Taylor added a second on 26 minutes as Koroma repaid the complement with the assist. We then started to create more chances as our oppenents opened up but we didnt score any furhter goals, making me worry about a repeat of last weeks performances. It was a more even second half as Corinthian-Casuals pushed to get back into the game. But the points were finally sealed in the 88th minute, when Harmon volleyed home.

Tuesday, 18th February, 2014

Three Bridges (11th) 1-0 Sittingbourne (17th)

Our slow starts continued, as well fell behind in the 8th minute, Daniel smashing the ball through our hapless goalkeeper Farr. Three Bridges continued to dominate the entire half, as our team, with just 14 actual squad members, looked tired after playing just days earlier. We somehow got into half time only 1-0 down. In the second half, we fared better and at least were creating some chances of our own, with Vasey going close from a corner. Three Bridges were always a threat on the break as we began to throw men forward, but they couldn't get the second goal. It wasn't needed in any case as we couldn't find a way through.

Wednesday, 19th February, 2014

I agree to a 1 year contract extension. My wage remains on 275 p/w, however I also have a 15% wage rise if we get promoted (yeah right!) and a 35% wage drop if we are relegated. The club will have to pay me 70% of my wages owing in the event of my sacking.

Saturday, 22nd February, 2014

Sittingbourne (17th) 2-4 Ramsgate (4th)

We got off to our now almost customary bad start, with Brown following up to tap in after a long range effort hit the bar and then my goalkeeper. After a first half of sustained pressure, Ramsgate finally added 2 more goals before half time through Murray and Abdhela. The second half continued in the same manner, as Harris slotted in after making a run in behind my fullback.

Ramsgate seemed to take their foot of the gas after that and a goal from Koroma looked like nothing more than a concilation depsite there being half and hour remaining. A Beale cross was tapped in by Taylor in the 83rd minute to give us a glimmer of hope of a comeback but Ramsgate shut the door to record the win.

d9e5b928-bb51-4cfe-957c-e4fcc70727a7.png

Manager Thoughts

4 defeats and 1 win does not a good month make! We were really good in our victory over Corinthian-Casuals, and we show signs in most games that we can be competitive. However too often we go through stages in games where we get over ran and we get punished for our bad defending. We find ourselves just 8 pints ahead of the relegation places now with 11 matches still remaining so results must improve if we are going to stay up.

On a more positive note, Im happy to have agreed a new contract until the end of next season. If we can survive relegation, Im looking forward to rebuilding the squad in the summer to see if we can improve next year.

March - 2014

Saturday, 1st March, 2014

Sittingbourne (17th) 4-0 Leatherhead (20th)

For once, it was us who got off to the good start, as a 20 yarder from Koroma put us ahead after just 6 minutes. For the rest of the half it was mainly Leatherhead pressing for an equalizer but we held firm to lead at half time. After the restart Leatherhead were still on top, however an injury to Koroma forced me into a tactical reshuffle which saw us take control of the game as we played with one up top and one in the hole. On 71 minutes James doubled our lead after a great run from midfield was found by Taylor. Taylor then turned goal scorer 5 minutes from time when Harmon's through ball was smashed past the keeper. Beale converted a penalty in stoppage time to add gloss to a crucial win.

Saturday, 8th March, 2014

Merstham (6th) 2-2 Sittingbourne (15th)

We were back to our old ways, conceding after just 8 minutes, as a ball over the top was finished by Hutchings. Merstham controlled the remainder of the half without adding to their tally, despite having some great chances. In the second half things were going much the same, but we slowly managed to get a foothold in the match and put our opponents under pressure. That pressure finally told on 80 minutes as Koroma volleyed home from Harmons cross. 2 minutes later, we had the lead, as the returning Winnet played in Taylor to finish neatly. What would have been a hard fought victory was taken from us just 4 minutes later however, with a good passing move putting Rutter in the clear to equalize.

Wednesday, 12th March, 2014

Guernsey (13th) P-P Sittingbourne (15th)

Postponed due to a waterlogged pitch

Thursday, 13th March, 2014

Club announce youth intake

youthintake2014.png

I was quite happy with the players we have from our youth intake this year, not least because it nice to have some back up for the 15 players that remain of the first team squad! With that in mind I offered all of my intake youth contracts, which were all accepted. I was disappointed not to get a goalkeeper and we did get a few too many left sided midfield players, however, the following 2 players look particularly promising:

Tony Barnden

59750305-5fc5-4d8f-a438-55445e23b60e.png

Looks like he could have the tools to be challenging for a spot in the first team as a defensive minded midfield player very soon.

James Broadhurst

b689bfa6-a65a-4040-bb4d-f011c618745f.png

Recommended by my assistant as the standout prospect from this years intake, I will be looking to give him some first team experience before the season has finished.

Saturday, 15th March, 2014

Sittingbourne (16th) 3-1 Faversham (3rd)

We blew away the promotion contenders in a brilliant first half display. Koroma smashed us into the lead on 9 minutes to get us off to a great start. Malachi Robinson was slipped through by Taylor on 23 minutes, and he showd great composure to double our lead. Danny Harmons strike from an accute angle just before half time effectively ended the match as a contest. I withdrew the players a bit in the second half to protect what we had, and it worked until he 87th minute when Little hammered home a consolation goal for the visitors.

Saturday, 22nd March, 2014

Sittingbourne (14th) 2-1 Chipstead (24th)

Chipstead needed to win to keep their fading hopes of survival alive, and they made the best possible start, as Kitchen finished from 6 yards. From that point onwards though, it was one way traffic, and our dominance eventually told when James was picked out by Robinson in the box, to smash into the roof of the net on 16 minutes. We went in front when a Robinson corner was controlled and converted in the six yard box by Davis on 28 minutes. The second half was much of the same as Jackson in the Chipstead goal kept them in it. However we had to settle for a 2-1 win in the end.

Wednesday, 26th March, 2014

Guernsey (15th) 3-0 Sittingbourne (12th)

Heaume got Guernsey off to a great start when he fired into the corner after being put through. On 13 minutes a cross from deep from Hart bobbled straight into the net to double our opponents advantage. We struggled to make an impact in the first half and I was happy just to get in 2-0 down. My half time rocket seemed to have no effect on the players as we fell 3-0 behind on the hour, Dyer following up after Farr saved well from an Allen header. We finally seemed to wake up after the 3rd goal, but by then it was too late as we slumped to a first defeat in 5 games.

Sam Beale suffers a fractured arm and is out for 5 to 6 weeks

Saturday, 29th March, 2014

Peacehaven (22nd) 4-2 Sittingbourne (13th)

The game gets off to a patchy start, but we take the lead after 18 minutes when Koroma hammers in from 6 yards out after a Robinson knock down. Peacehaven are quickly level, when Farr lets in a rather tame header by Wheeler from a corner. Then on 29 minutes Peacehaven took the lead as Hayes is caught napping at left back to allow Saunders in behind him to finish. The goals keep coming as Cellins speculative effort goes straight through Farr to make it 3-1 on 34 minutes. Then a minute later Koroma grabs a second goal and its game on for the scond half. Peacehaven start the half better, and get the killer 4th goal as Saunders catches Hayes napping again for a carbon copy of his goal in the first half. We make changes in personnel but we couldn't find a goal to get us back into the game.

Richard Farr bruises a rib and will be out for about 2 weeks

300ee129-4ecd-4506-b149-155e1568933f.png

Manager Thoughts

It was a better month for us for sure, getting 3 wins and a draw but again after a good run of results we take a step backwards by losing our last 2 games of the month. That pretty much sums up our season as a whole, some games we are great and others we are truly awful! At least our survival in the division is all but secured as we are now 11 points clear of the bottom three with 5 games remaining

April - 2014

Saturday, 5th April, 2014

Eastbourne (12th) 3-0 Sittingbourne (16th)

Eastbourne put us under pressure from the start, but we clung on for most of the half, whilst looking weak at the back. Finally the pressure told, as Elliot got free from a corner and headed home in the 44th minute. Davidson got the killer second goal almost immediately after the restart placing a good shot into the corner. From that moment on Eastbourne were cruising as we simply could not create any chances and Davidson put the icing on the Eastbourne cake in stoppage time after our defense parted to allow him a clear run on goal.

Chipstead are relegated from the Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South

Saturday, 12th April, 2014

Sittingbourne (16th) 1-0 Tooting & Mitcham (14th)

We started brightly and were awarded a contrevertial penalty, as Koroma was fouled in the box. Taylor stepped up to blast it into the corner, giving us the lead after only 7 minutes. We continued to dominate possession and chances as both Koroma and Taylor miss one-on-ones in the first half. Its more of the same in the second half as Tooting & Mitcham rarely threaten. Harmon goes closest in the second half as a 20 yerd effort is well stopped by their goalkeeper, Pickford. The game finished 1-0, but the performance was much better than the scoreline suggests.

Ramsgate and Walton Casuals garuntee at least a playoff place

Saturday, 19th April, 2014

Walton & Hersham (18th) 2-2 Sittingbourne (15th)

We started slowly, as we often do, and Walton & Hersham began to control possession early on. They eventually took the lead on 13 minutes, Cadby getting free in the area and firing home. It was quickly 2-0 just 3 minutes later as Bell bundled home a corner from a couple of yards out. I switched back to a more defensive set up, fearing a thrashing, but it had the effect of us starting to dominate possession as well as starting to create chances. Taylor going close with a header and then striking the bar from range. Five minutes into the second half we got our reward as an average Winnet freekick somehow found its way past their goalkeeper. We continued to push for an equalizer, and we got it after Koroma got free on the left to find a cross that Wise ended up putting in his own net.

Redhill are relegated from the Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South

Monday, 21st April, 2014

Worthing (17th) 3-1 Sittingbourne (14th)

Another game, another early goal conceded, this time after 3 minutes, Berry playing a one-two with Osobu before striking low under my goalkeeper. It took until the 31st minute for Worthing to double their lead. Osobu playing in Carey this time who finished well into the corner. It was no more than Worthing deserved up until that point. We got into the match after that and finished the half strongest but couldnt find a goal. The second half followed a similar pattern and things went from bad to worse as youngster Tony Barnden was dismissed on 69 minutes for a second bookable offence. 10 minutes later, it was 3-0. Osobu hitting a thundering shot from 25 yards against the bar, before it hit Farrs back and trickled over the line. We managed a consolation after Davis's header was well saved from a corner, Sam Hayes was on hand to slot in the rebound for his first goal of the season.

Faversham and Merstham garuntee themselves a place in the Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South playoffs

Corinthian-Casuals are relegated from the Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South

Tony Barnden recieves an automatic 1 match ban for his red card vs Worthing

Saturday, 26th April, 2014

Sittingbourne (15th) 1-0 Walton Casuals (1st)

Walton Casuals came into the match knowing that a draw would guarantee the title, as well as the only automatic promotion place. Our opponents start the game well but are perhaps a touch nervous, as neither side creates any meaningful chances. We gradually get into the game as the half wears on but it remains 0-0 at the break.

We start the second half much the better side and we are rewarded as Harmon broke down the right and crossed for Koroma to head home from six yards. We created more chances to seal the points with Koroma hitting the post and Davis heading wide from point blank range. We still manage to hold on comfortably for the victory. With Ramsgate also losing, Walton Casuals still win the championship despite the defeat.

Walton Casuals win the Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South.

Whitstable claim the final playoff place.

79e38a47-f308-421b-a091-dcec9731c608.png

Manager Thoughts

2 wins, 2 defeats and a draw pretty much sums up our season in a nutshell. We can beat anyone on our day, as the final day win against Walton Casuals showed. But our day is very rare and we at least as likely to take a hammering. We have managed to climb just 1 place from when I took over. To be honest I had hoped for better. But next year will hopefully be better. Season Review & Squad summary to follow..

Not a bad start. A decent first season, albeit incosistent at times and now you know which players perform and have a chance to build where the squad lacks.

Good luck getting it right in the off-season and building toward the top in your second campaign.

Not a bad start. A decent first season, albeit incosistent at times and now you know which players perform and have a chance to build where the squad lacks.

Good luck getting it right in the off-season and building toward the top in your second campaign.

Thanks BadManager and thanks for reading! The summer is going to be important for sure if I want to do better than this season. Im not always the most active when it comes to transfers though. Im a bit like Arsene Wenger in that regard!

Sittingbournebadge.png

Sittingbourne - Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South - 2013/14

My first job in management is at Sittingbourne, who after 4 games of the season played, were in 15th place.

Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South - We got as high as 12th and as low as 17th, but we were never in the shake up for relegation or promotion at any point of the season. I was hoping to finish a little higher but with key players leaving early on in my reign I guess I should be happy with lower mid table safety.

FA Cup - Dunston represented a good draw for us at home, so it was disappointing to get knocked out at the first hurdle. I'll hope to do better next year. We fell a round short of our board expectations.

FA Trophy - a disappointing home defeat to level 8 opposition. The board were happy we competed well!

Robert Dyas League Cup - The board werent too interested in this trophy and neither was I. A second string line up did well to force Level 7 side Maidenhead to penalties.

Kent Senior Cup - Again, the board didnt care about this trophy. We were outplayed by Folkstone.

Finances - We are now £13,000 in the red and losing about £2-3,000 a month. I will need to get hold of the wages for next season as well as maybe force a good cup run from the team.

Tranfers

c7c7e15f-59c2-49b5-a60a-b3eb67ffe6d9.png

I had to rely mainly on loan deals as I was over the wage budget pretty much from the beginning. The players leaving were all on non contracts, and got snapped up by clubs against my wishes, but because of my budget constraints, I was unable to offer them deals comparable with other teams.

Career Summary

Season     Club             League                         Position       Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/2014  Sittingbourne    Ryman Istmian Div 1 S          14th           none

Next Season

My main aims are rebuild the squad to make it more competitive, and to push for a top half place. I would also like to win a cup game next season, just one!

2013/14 Squad Review

A few players left during the season, here are my thoughts on the players that are here.

Goalkeepers

We only had one actual goalkeeper all season and he was originally a "grey" player I signed as I just wanted a goalkeeper of any kind. He's not really that good, and I'll be hoping my scout can unearth a replacement in the summer.

Richard Farr (19yo English GK) - 43 apps, 75 conceded, 10 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.70

Fullbacks

We are pretty well stocked on fullbacks for such a small squad. Same Beale will be leaving in the summer as he is making £200 p/w and I need to clear that off the wage bill. In fact, Im not entirely certain I'll be keeping any of these players for sure. Tom Brunt will also definitely leave as he has wanted more first team football, and I dont know if Gray and Hayes are good enough for this level.

Ollie Gray (22yo English Defender RC) - 46(1) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.70

Sam Hayes (18yo English Defender RL) - 22(15) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.47

Sam Beale (20yo English Defender L) - 40(4) apps, 3 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.75

Tom Brunt (21yo English Defender L) - 9(7) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.30

Centre Backs

I started off playing Ollie Gray at centre back but I gradually moved him over to right back which meant I basically just had Nick Davis and Jack Vasey as my main pairing. Im hoping youngster Stephen Bourne can get some game time next year, although, I dont think he will be ready to be a regular. An area where i have to strengthen.

Nick Davis (32yo English Defender C) - 48(1) apps, 2 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.72

Jack Vasey (19yo English Defender C) - 30(4) apps, 2 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.65 (on loan)

Stephen Bourne (16yo English Defender RC) - 1 app, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.00

Central Midfielders

A bit of a revolving door in this position this season. I will need a better holding midfielder for sure although Tony Barnden has promise. I have played Curtis Winnet in the holding role since Pettit left but I dont think he is really up to the task in that position. Ashleigh James has been a strong signing and we definitely miss him when he is unavailable.

Ashleigh James (22yo English Midfield C) - 30(6) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.83

Curtis Winnet (26yo English Defender R, Midfielder/Attacking Midfielder RC) - 40(5) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.61

George Bruce (20yo English Midfielder/Attacking Midfielder C) - 14(25) apps, 3 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.66

Tony Barnden (16yo English Defender/DM/Midfielder C) - 2 apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.45

Wide Midfielders

With the loan signings of Harmon, Robinson and Semedo we had enough cover in these positions for this season, with Winnet also able to play wide right. However I would like to make permanent signings at both R/L Midfield for next season. Broadhurst is a prospect on the left but is still raw.

Malachi Robinson (18yo Defender/Midfielder L) - 26(7) apps, 2 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 6.72

Danny Harmon (18yo Midfielder R) - 33(9) apps, 7 goals, 13 assists, Ave Rating: 6.90

Sandro Semedo (18 yo Midfielder L) - 14 (17) apps, 3 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.74

James Broadhurst (16 yo Midfielder L) - 1 app, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.20

Strikers

With Akhazzan leaving I was left with just 2 first team strikers for most of the season, until the youth intake arrived and I finally had some backup! Koroma has been a great success since he signed, and Taylor is an excellent foil as a link between the strikers and the midfield. Ideally these 2 will be my starters again next season if I can secure their contracts. Youngster Tregurtha will likely be my backup, unless I can find a decent one on the cheap.

Medi Koroma (23 yo Striker C) - 42 (2) apps, 24 goals, 8 assists, Ave Rating: 7.16

Joe Taylor (23 yo Attacking Midfielder C/Striker C) - 47 (1) apps, 15 goals, 12 assists, Ave Rating: 6.95

Francis Tregurtha (16 yo Striker C) - 1 (3) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.50

May - 2014

Saturday, 3rd May, 2014

Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South Playoff Semi Finals

Whitstable 1-3 Ramsgate

Faversham 1-3 Merstham

Tuesday, 6th May, 2014

Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South Playoff Final

Ramsgate 5-0 Merstham

Ramsgate are promoted from the Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South

My squad is paid out £400 between them for finishing 14th

Saturday, 10th May, 2014

Sam Beale and the club agree a mutual termination of his contract for £1,000. I wanted to remove him from the wage bill in case a player comes up that I want to sign.

Thursday, 22rd May, 2014

Medi Koroma signs a new contract until June 2015 worth £70 p/w

Friday, 23rd May, 2014

We sign unattached central defender Charlie Girdler until June 2015 on 30 p/w. He will join us on the 3rd June when the transfer window re-opens.

Sunday, 25th May, 2014

We announce a new kit sponsership for 2 years worth 5k per annum. This is the same value as the previous sponsorship deal.

Our initial wage budget has also been set at 525 p/w with the transfer budget (of course!) at 0. This is subject to change based on seasonal expectations.

The wage budget is a 72 p/w increase from last season.

Manager Thoughts

Obviously a quiet month with no games but a productive one in many ways. Im happy with the signing of Charlie Girdler who I think can do quite well at center back. Getting Sam Beale off of the wage bill was important too. He is a good player for this level, but not so great that he should be paid £200 p/w. Probably our best bit of business was getting our top scorer, Medi Koroma, to sign a new 1 year deal. Im not a big fan of paying players at this level very much money, however I think if he can play as well as last season, it will be worth it in his case. Im also pleased that the board have backed me with a higher wage budget this season, although I wonder what this will mean for their expectations when it comes around to discussing them.

About £20 each in bonus... I guess it's a few pints down the Dog and Duck.

Well if they try a bit harder next season, they can have a bit more beer money! If it were up to me I would have spread my goalkeepers £20 amoungst the rest of the squad! :D

June - 2014

Tuesday, 3rd June, 2014

Club announce losses of 24k over the last financial year.

Friday, 6th June, 2014

Transfer window reopens

Soham and Northwood put in transfer offers of £0 for Joe Taylor. Both offers also included 25% sell on clauses. I dont think Joe Taylor will ever command a transfer fee so I reject both offers.

Friday, 13th June, 2014

World Cup

Group A

Algeria 0-4 Brazil

Japan 1-5 France

Saturday, 14th June, 2014

World Cup

Group B

Chile 2-3 Mexico

Norway 0-0 Italy

Group C

Portugal 2-3 Turkey

Sam Beale is named as left back in the Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South Team of the Year

Sunday, 15th June, 2014

World Cup

Group C

South Korea 2-2 Columbia

Group D

New Zealand 0-3 Belgium

Uraguay 5-2 Nigeria

Monday, 16th June, 2014

World Cup

Group E

Costa Rica 2-3 Ecuador

Croatia 1-3 Slovenia

Group F

Germany 0-0 England

Tuesday, 17th June, 2014

World Cup

Group F

Australia 3-2 Egypt

Group G

Tunisia 2-7 Argentina

USA 3-1 Greece

Wednesday, 18th June, 2014

Goldalming make a bid of £0 for Joe Taylor with a sell on fee of 25%. Its looking increasingly like Im not going to reach an agreement with him regarding a new contract so I decide to accept the bid.

World Cup

Group A

Brazil 1-1 Japan

Group H

Ukraine 3-1 Cameroon

Spain 1-1 Iran (what!)

Thursday, 19th June, 2014

Lewes make a bid of £0 for Tom Brunt with a sell on fee of 25%. I accept the bid as Brunt has no intention of even discussing a new contract.

World Cup

Group A

France 2-1 Algeria

Group B

Mexico 1-2 Norway

Italy 0-1 Chile

Friday, 20 June, 2014

Joe Taylor signs for Goldalming for £0 on a 180 p/w deal until June 2015.

World Cup

Group C

Turkey 1-0 South Korea

Colombia 2-3 Portugal

Group D

Belgium 3-1 Uruguay

Saturday, 21st June, 2014

Tom Brunt signs for Lewes for £0 on a 65 p/w deal until June 2015.

World Cup

Group D

Nigeria 2-1 New Zealand

Group E

Ecuador 3-3 Croatia

Slovenia 2-5 Costa Rica

Sunday, 22nd June, 2014

World Cup

Group F

Egypt 0-6 Germany

England 5-0 Australia

June - 2014 continued

Monday, 23rd June, 2014

We sign goalkeeper Charlie Mitten for £50 p/w until June 2015. He will combine his playing role with a secondary role as scout.

Ed Smith is out for 3 weeks with a virus. I decide to send him home.

World Cup

Group G

Greece 2-1 Tunisia

Group H

Cameroon 0-3 Spain

Iran 0-3 Ukraine

Tuesday, 24th June, 2014

World Cup

Group A

Algeria 3-4 Japan

Brazil 1-2 France

France and Brazil qualify for the next stage

Group B

Italy 4-1 Mexico

Norway 0-4 Chile

Chile and Italy qualify for the next round

Wednesday, 25th June, 2014

Medi Koroma is voted fans player of the year

World Cup

Group C

Colombia 2-3 Turkey

South Korea 2-2 Portugal

Turkey and Portugal qualify for the next round

Group D

Belgium 4-0 Nigeria

New Zealand 0-0 Uruguay

Belgium and Uruguay qualify for the next round

Thursday, 26th June, 2014

World Cup

Group E

Costa Rica 1-4 Croatia

Ecuador 1-4 Slovenia

Slovenia and Croatia qualify for the next round

Group F

England 1-1 Egypt

Germany 1-0 Australia

Germany and England qualify for the next round

Friday, 27th June, 2014

World Cup

Group G

Argentina 1-1 Greece

Tunisia 2-0 USA

Argentina and Greece qualify for the next round

Group H

Iran 0-3 Cameroon

Spain 7-0 Ukraine

Spain and Ukraine qualify for the next round

Saturday, 28th June, 2014

Carshalton and Aylesbury offer contracts to goalkeeper Richard Farr. I offer him a contract to stay as I would like him as my backup goalkeeper next season.

World Cup

Second Round

Italy 3-1 France

Chile 0-1 Brazil

Sunday, 29th June, 2014

World Cup

Second Round

Belgium 2-0 Portugal

Turkey 0-2 Uruguay

Monday, 30th June, 2014

Kirkley & Pakefield offer a contract to Curtis Winnet. I also offer a new contract as I would like to keep him at the club for his versatility.

The loan deals of Malachi Robinson, Danny Harmon, Sandro Semedo and Jack Vasey all expire and they return to their clubs.

Right Back Olly Gray's contract expire and he decides to leave the club.

Assistant Manager Dan Rose, Chief Scout Matthew Farrel, Physio James Hubbard and Head of Youth Development Danny Hilliwell all leave the club as their contracts are not renewed.

World Cup

Second Round

Croatia 0-1 Germany

England 0-2 Slovenia

Manager Thoughts

A slow month in terms of transfers coming in. The signing of Charlie Mitten is definitely a short term solution to my goalkeeping problem at 40 years old, but he has reasonable attributes for this level, and is certainly better than Richard Farr (who unbelievably actually has teams interested in him!). Losing Taylor and Brunt was disappointing but Brunt was never likely to stay and Taylor wanted way too much money so I had to say goodbye to them. Olly Gray also wanted a lot of money to stay, but I'm simply not prepared to have players collecting £150 p/w so he left at the end of his contract as well. I also cleaned out my staff as I think I will be able to find better. My former assistant Dan Rose, in particular, was no help last year when I needed to unearth some loan signings in the second half of the season.

In other news, it was also disappointing to see England only make it to the second round of the World Cup, losing to Slovenia!

Ups and Downs in England

Premier League

Champions: Arsenal

UEFA Champions League Qualifiers: Chelsea, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur

Europa League Qualifiers: Hull City (FA Cup winners), Liverpool, Manchester Utd

Relegated: Sunderland, Crystal Palace, West Bromwich Albion

Championship

Champions: Huddersfield Town

Promoted: Wigan, Watford

Relegated: Blackpool, Yeovil Millwall

League 1

Champions: Leyton Orient

Promoted: Wolverhampton Wanderers, Preston North End

Relegated: Port Vale, Shrewsbury, Oldham Athletic, Gillingham

League 2

Champions: Scunthorpe

Promoted: Fleetwood, Portsmouth, Burton Albion

Relegated: Accrington Stanley, Mansfield

Conference Premier

Champions: Grimsby Town

Promoted: Luton Town

Relegated: Southport, Welling Utd, Aldershot, Hyde

Conference North

Champions: Harrowgate

Promoted: AFC Telford

Relegated: Colwyn Bay, Vauxhall, North Ferriby

Conference South:

Champions: Eeastleigh

Promoted: Ebbsfleet Utd

Relegated: Maidenhead Utd, Dorchester Town, Bassingstoke

Northern Premier League Premier Division

Champions: Chorely

Promoted: Worksop

Relegated: Ashton Utd, Barwell, Frickley, Stamford

Isthmian League Premier Division

Champions: Margate

Promoted: Hampton & Richmond

Relegated: Thamesmead, Leiston, Enfield Town, Carshalton Athletic

Southern League Premier Division

Champions: Truro City

Promoted: Chippenham

Relegated: Frome, Banbury Utd, AFC Totten, Poole Town

Northern Premier League Division 1 North

Champions: Mossley

Promoted: Northwich

Relegated: Padiham, Ossett Town

Northern Premier League Division 1 South

Champions: Halesowen

Promoted: Scarborough

Relegated: Coalville, Romulus

Isthmian League Division 1 North

Champions: Cheshunt

Promoted: Needham Market

Relegated: Redbridge, Redbridge, Barkingside

Isthmian League Division 1 South

Champions: Waltham Casuals

Promoted: Ramsgate

Relegated: Corinthian-Casuals, Redhill, Chipstead

Southern League Division 1 Central

Champions: Kettering Town

Promoted: Roysten Town

Relegated: Chalfont St. Peter, North Greenford Utd

Southern League Division 1 South/West

Champions: Tiverton Town

Promoted: Magnotsfield Town

Relegated: Swindon Supermarine, Shortwood

FA Cup: Leeds United 0-2 Hull City

League Cup: Manchester Utd 0-2 Manchester City

Football League Trophy: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Bbrentford

FA Trophy: Cambridge Utd 1-2 Aldershot

Northern Premier League Challenge Cup: Stamford 1-3 AFC Flyde

Northern Premier League Peter Swales Shield: Mossley 0-1 Halesowen

Isthmian League Cup: Heybridge p2-2 Met. Police

Southern League Cup: Yate Town (3) 1 - 2 (4) Redditch

Competition Winners

Hyundai A-League: Melbourne Victory

Brazilian First Division: Botafogo

Cup: Athletico Mineiro

Ligue 1: Monaco

Cup: Evian Thonon Gaillard

Coupe de la Ligue: Lyon

Bundesliga: Bayern Munich

Cup: Freiburg

Greek Superleague: Olympiakos

Cup: Veroia

Dutch Eredivisie: Ajax

Cup: Ajax

Serie A: Juventus

Cup: Juventus

Norwegian Premier Division: Brann

Cup: Aalessund

Portuguese Premier League: Benfica

Taca de Portugal: Porto

Cup: Benfica

Scottish Premier League: Celtic

Cup: Aberdeen

League Cup: Rangers

Liga BBVA: Real Madrid

Cup: Athletico Madrid

MLS: Toronto FC

Welsh Premier League: TNS

Cup: Bala

Premier League Cup: Bala

UEFA Champions League: Juventus 0-3 Bayern Munich

Europa League: Lyon 1-2 Real Sociodad

Sittingbournebadge.png

Season Preview - 2014/2015 - Sittingbourne

Board Expectations

Ryman Isthmian League Division 1 South - Mid Table (Revised from Consolidation)

FA Cup - 1st qualifying Round

FA Trophy - Just compete

Robert Dyas Isthmian Football League Cup - Not important

Kent County FA Senior Cup - Not important

Personal Expectations

The board initially wanted us to simply consolidate our position in the Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South this season, however I wanted a larger wage budget, so I asked for the expectations to be increased to Mid Table. I believe this is achievable with the squad I have in place for this season. I'm also hoping to produce a better run in one of the big two cups this year, to raise some much needed revenue for the club after last years financial loss.

Budgets

Transfer: £0, same as last season

Wages: £553 p/w, up £100 from last season (spending £382 p/w)

Balance: -£17,135

I have more available budget this year which is nice, but I need to get the balance sorted as it is projected to get to -£46,000 by the end of the year.

Squad

The squad is more rounded this year, simply through having the youth products. I still need to sign a Right Back, Right Midfielder, Left Midfielder and perhaps a Striker too, but some of those may have to come in on loan.

July - 2014

Tuesday, 1st July, 2014

Worthing and Thatcham offer contracts to Richard Farr.

World Cup

Second Round

Spain e2-1 Greece

Ukraine 1-5 Argentina

Wednesday, 2nd July, 2014

Enfield offer a contract to Curtis Winnet

Wroxham offer a contract to Richard Farr

Friendly

Basildon (lower leagues) 0-3 Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Ddivision 1 South)

We started the game well and could have 2 up in the first 10 minutes with Girdler twice hitting the post from corners. Broadhurst finally gave us the lead, finishing nicely after good build up from Barnsden and Koroma. The home side offered little going forward, apart from hitting the crossbar at the stroke of half-time, and we got into the interval a goal to the good. The game continued much the same in the second half with their goalkeeper in inspired form. Koroma finally gave us the second goal in the 82nd minute running on to a through ball, rounding the keeper and slotting into an empty net. A penalty from substitute Barry, put some much deserved gloss on the result

Thursday, 3rd July, 2014

Burkhamsted offer a contract to Curtis Winnet

Friday, 4th July, 2014

We have been drawn against Ryman Division 1 North side Ware at home in the FA Trophy Preliminary Round. If we make it through that stage, we will face a trip to Ryman Premier side Canvey Island.

In the FA Cup we have been drawn against Hythe Town who are in our division, away from home. If we progress, we will face Ryman Premier side Billericay at home.

World Cup

Quarter Finals

Brazil 0-1 Uruguay

Italy p0-0 Belgium

We sign Left Back Adam Hewitt on a free transfer on a contract worth £55 p/w until June 2015

Saturday, 5th July, 2014

We sign Centre Back Tom Gilbert on a free transfer on a contract worth 35 p/w until June 2015

Friendly

Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) 0-1 Needham Market (Ryman Premier Division)

We started the game solidly and had plenty of opportunities to take the lead, with youngster Roberts guilty of missing some good chances. It was 0-0 at half-time. The second half started in similar fashion, however a breakaway saw McWeeney put the visitors ahead. Our opponents went down to 10 men after 73 minutes when Lawlor was given a straight red for a terrible challenge on James. We pushed forward from that point on and managed to hit the post and have a goal line scramble cleared but we couldn't force an equalizer. Still, a good performance against higher league opposition.

World Cup

Quarter Finals

Germany 1-0 Argentina

Slovenia 0-3 Spain

Sunday, 6th July, 2014

Richard Farr signs a new non contract deal to stay at Sittingbourne

Monday, 7th July, 2014

Curtis Winnet joins Kirkley and Pakefield on a free transfer on a contract of £140 p/w until June 2015

Tuesday, 8th July, 2014

World Cup

Semi Finals

Italy 2-3aet Germany

Wednesday, 9th July, 2014

Tooting and Mitcham offer a contract to Nick Davis. I have decided not to ake a counter offer as he is making £100 per appearance and also at 32, isn't getting any younger.

World Cup

Semi Finals

Uruguay 2-0 Spain

Friendly

Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) 3-0 Witham (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 North)

We dominated from the start forcing their goalkeeper into some excellent saves. Tregurtha finally puts us in front after 28 minutes finishing well after a one-two with Barry. We create more chances but cant add to our first half tally. Its more of the same in the second half, and Tregurtha scored a second 10 minutes into it, again set up by Barry who played him in with an excellent through ball. Girdler sealed the win 8 minutes from time from 2 yards out from a corner. We deserved to win by more.

Thursday, 10th July, 2014

Chesham offer a contract to Nick Davis

Leiston offer a contract to Richard Farr. I decide against offering another deal as I dont want to give Farr an even better contract then the one he is already on.

We sign Right Midfielder Michael Noone on a free transfer for 50 p/w until June 2015. Unfortunatley, he arrives with a 3 match ban waiting to be served.

Friday, 11th July, 2014

Beaconsfield offer a contract to Richard Farr.

Saturday, 12 July, 2014

Friendly

Chalfont St. Peter (Lower Leagues) 0-1 Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South)

We start off controlling the game, without creating any great chances. This continues for the whole half but our opponents create the best chance when Greenwood hits the post following a Charlie Mitten save. The second half continues in much the same manner, but on 69 minutes, we take the lead when Roberts plays Manton in behind the defence, and Manton cooly finishes. After the goal Chalfont come back into the match and create a number of half chances, but we hang on to secure another pre-season win.

Sunday, 13th July. 2014

Hythe and Winchester offer contracts to Richard Farr

World Cup

Final

Germany 0-2e Uruguay

23yo James Heyes is appointed Chief Scout for £50 p/w until June 2015.

Monday, 14th July, 2014

Chesham sign Nick Davis on a contract of £80 p/w until June 2015.

Wednesday, 16th July, 2014

29 yo John Mcdonanld is appointed Head of Youth Development for £50 p/w until June 2015

Thursday, 17th July, 2014

Ashford (Middx) offer a contract to Richard Farr.

29 yo Paul Harrison is appointed as Physio for £50 p/w until June 2015.

Monday, 21st July, 2014

Richard Farr opts to stay with us, rejecting contract offers from 5 other clubs.

Tuesday, 22nd July, 2014

Kirkley and Pakefield offer £0 plus 25% sell on fee for Ashleigh James. I reject the offer.

Wednesday, 23rd July, 2014

Tilbury offer a contract to Richard Farr.

Thursday, 24th July, 2014

Tooting & Mitcham offer a contract to Richard Farr. I really dont understand all the interest in this man. He was shocking at times last season!

Saturday, 26th July, 2014

North Leigh and Ware offer contracts to Richard Farr

Sunday, 27th July, 2014

Burnham offer a contract to Richard Farr

Friendly

Greenwich (Lower Leagues) 1-1 Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South)

This was a game of few chances as Greenwich had slightly the better of the first half, after surprising us by playing 5 in midfield. We made a few adjustments in the second half and started to play better, and took the lead when Tragurtha converted a Broadhurst cross. Debolla was played through 10 minutes later to slot past Charlie Mitten to claim a draw for Greenwich which overall was probably a fair result.

Monday, 28th July, 2014

Charlie Mitten is appointed club captain whilst Adam Hewitt is appointed vice captain

Thursday, 31st June, 2014

Richard Farr (again) rejects all contract offers and decides to stay with us.

Manager Thoughts

A busy month as we get our transfer business sorted before the season starts. Im happy with the signings we made, and I feel Hewitt and Gilbert will make us strong at the back, whilst Noone should provide creativity in midfield. Im looking forward to getting the season underway after a strong preseason showing, with our performances giving me room for optimism for the upcoming season.

August - 2014

Sunday, 3rd August, 2014

The club announces sales of 52 season tickets for this season, up by 1 ticket from last year.

Monday, 4th August, 2014

The Robert Dyas League Cup 2nd Round draw gives us a home tie against either Faversham (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) or Brentwood (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 North).

Tuesday, 5th August, 2014

Spalding offer a contract to Rrichard Farr

Thursday, 7th August, 2014

Crawley Down offer a contract to Richard Farr

Saturday, 9th August, 2014

Tooting & Mitcham 2-0 Sittingbourne

Our season got off to the worst possible start as a freekick was cleared by Gilbert, only to hit Edwards, and give our opponents the lead after just 2 minutes. This seemed to rattle us as our defensive organisation went to pieces. We were quickly 2-0 down when Pollard was played through to finish one-on-one. The second half was better as we made a few tweaks, and we were much more solid. Koroma had our best chance of the match as he powered through the defence, only to see a good save from their goalkeeper. We struggled to create any more chances and start the season with a defeat.

Sunday, 10th August, 2014

Richard Farr rejects his contract offers and decides to stay with us.

Tuesday, 12th August, 2014

Peacehaven offer a contract to Richard Farr.

Wednesday, 13th August, 2014

We draw Folkstone at home in the Kent County Cup First Round. If we progress, we will face either Dover U21s or Tonbridge, also at home.

Sittingbourne (20th) 1-2 Worthing (2nd)

The first half was a tight one, but one that we slightly shaded as we created a few half chances. The second half started well for us a punt from Mitten went straight through Worthings defence, and Koroma stuck the chance away. Worthing upped the tempo after that and their pressure told as Osobu equalised after a clever through ball. The turn around was complete in the 84th minute when Osobu again finished neatly after a good cross into the box. We threw men forward in search of a leveler and Koroma smashed a great chance into the side netting in stoppage time, but we slip to a second defeat.

Thursday, 14th August, 2014

Farr rejects the contract offer from Peacehaven and decides to stay with us.

Saturday, 16th August, 2014

Goldalming (22nd) 1-0 Sittingbourne (21st)

We start the game brightly, but fall behind after 12 minutes when Girdler gives away a penalty which Thomson converts. This seems to set us back and Goldalming control the half without creating much themselves. The second half is much the same, although our opponents start to look more threatening. We only create one chance of note which Koroma squanders and we fall to a 3rd defeat in 3 to continue our disastrous start to the season.

Tuesday, 19th August, 2014

We sign 31 yo Neil Prince as Assistant Manager on £55 p/w until June 2015

Carshalton (23rd) 1-1 Sittingbourne (24th)

We started the brighter with Ashleigh James missing a good chance inside the first 5 minutes. Against the run of play Carshalton took the lead when a right wing cross found the head of Kapika, who in turn found Akrigg unmarked in the 6 yard box to score. We continued to be the better side for the rest of the half, with Tregurtha missing a great chance one-on-one to level. The second half continued in much the same vein, with substitute Koroma missing a great chance on the hour. Just when I thought we have slipped to 4 straight defeats, a strike from Broadhurst, deep into stoppage time, gave us our first point of the season.

Friday, 22nd August, 2014

We sign Jordan Holdsworth on a free transfer for £35 p/w until June 2015

Saturday, 23rd August, 2014

FA Cup Preliminary Round

Hythe (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) 0-0 Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South)

The first half was a seriously dull affair, with a Tregurtha header looping wide the only chance of any note in the first half. The second half barely improved, until Gilbert was sent off for us with 7 minutes remaining. This actually seemed to work for us, as we created 2 good chances to snatch the victory, with Tregurtha again the closest, as an effort fizzed the wrong side of the post. The game goes to a replay, which is last thing we would have wanted with so many fixtures already at this time of the season.

Wednesday, 27th August, 2014

FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay

Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) 1-2 Hythe (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South)

It was another dire half of football in the first half with no chances of any note for either team. The tie finally came to life in the second half, when Kane Wood smashed in from 25 yards after Mitten had punched away a cross and found himself off his line. Jack Phelan doubled Hythes lead in the 79th minute, smashing past Mitten from 10 yards, despite the keeper pushing the ball onto the bar and then post before going in. Barnden grabbed a goal back after being played in by debutant Holdsworth, with 3 minutes left, but we ran out of time to force an equaliser. That leaves us with no wins from 6 games and I'm still looking for my first cup victory as boss.

Saturday, 30th August, 2014

Sittingbourne (24th) 2-0 Guernsey (3rd)

We started the match solidly defending well and keeping the ball nicely, and our good start was rewarded when Tregurtha played the ball up to Koroma, who powered through the defence and chipped the keeper on 16 minutes. Guernsey responded well, and gave us a few scares, but just before half time, a foul on Koroma gives us a penalty. Noone converted his first goal for the club from the spot. The second half saw us start the better, but injuries to both my strikers left me having to adjust to 451. This invited pressure, but Guernsey were unable to break through despite hitting the bar and spurning a few one-on-ones. I was relieved to grab our first win of the season!

Medi Koroma suffers a thigh strain and is out for 4 weeks

5d94a1b7-5662-4f3a-a93d-b480e20f3364.png

Managers Thoughts

After a good preseason, I've been shell shocked by the start we've made. I certainly hadn't anticipated losing my first 3 matches, and then not winning until my 7th! I think I felt good because we had more of squad this year, but I'm finding that it one thing having a squad with numbers, and another to have one with strength in depth. A lot of this squad are the youngsters I acquired from last years youth intake, and while a few have promise, many are not ready for regular first team football. I'm happy to bring in the signing of Holdsworth to be my link man up front, as Tregurtha simply isn't ready for a regular starting birth yet (although he may get more game time due to Koroma's injury).

Despite the negatives, we haven't been blown away by anybody so far, and results are starting to turn a little in the last few games. We are also much better at the back so far, but going forward has been the main problem, without the flying wingers we had on loan last year. All in all, I'm hoping we can build on our first win and start to move away from the relegation zone by the end of next month, but with Koroma's injury this is going to be a harder task.

Hopefully you can build on beating a strong Guernsey side and start heading up the table now! :)

I won't hold my breath! Just taking it one game at a time! At this stage if the season, if you get on a run, you can quickly move up the table.

September - 2014

Tuesday, 2nd September, 2014

Kent Senior Cup 1st Round

Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) p0-0 Folkstone Invicta (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South)

We bring our youth team more or less into this match to save the legs of the first teamers for the weekend league game. Folkstone start the match well and force Farr into two great saves. But we grow into the half and manage to restrict their chances. Second half saw us in control, again without creating any great chances. Farr made another excellent save late on from a one-on-one to keep the scores level. The first half of extra-time saw no chances for either side, however the second half saw Hayes squander a great chance to win it for us from 18 yards but he struck over. So we went to the lottery of penalty kicks. Farr saved from Yexly from Folkstones 7th spot kick, which left Hedger to fire home to send us through to the next round. This is my first victory in a cup game since I took charge over a year ago!

We will face Dover Athletic U21's in the second round at home.

Peter Walker suffered a gashed arm and will be out for 6 to 9 days.

Wednesday, 3rd September, 2014

Bishops Cleeve offer a contract to Richard Farr.

Saturday, 6th September, 2014

Richard Farr rejects the contract offer from Bishops Cleeve.

Sittingbourne (22nd) 1-0 Eastbourne (7th)

We started the game brightly, having lots of possesion, and forcing their goalkeeper into some good saves. Both Tragurtha and Holdsworth have great chances to score saved. Eastbourne get more into the match as the half wears on and hit the crossbar unintentionally from a Prethoroe freekick. The second half starts like the first as we are back on top again, with Tregurtha forcing a good save from their keeper. But again as the half wears on, Eastbourne look the more likely to score. Just as the game looks like heading for a draw, substitute Murray plays a cute pass into the box to find Noone, who smashed it into the top corner, to give us our second league win in a row.

Wednesday, 10th September, 2014

Herne Bay (24th) 2-0 Sittingbourne (16th)

We start off the match confidentely, having most of the possesion. Roberts had a great chance after 23 minutes to give us the lead but he struck the bar. Roberts then had a one-on-one saved moments later. The second half started badly as Druce headed home from a corner to give the home side the lead. Roberts then hit the bar minutes later from another one-on-one chance. Wales doubled Herne Bays lead on the hour after being played in behind of our ever higher line. Roberts proceeded to miss 2 more one-on-one chances to complete a miserable day for him and us.

Saturday, 13th September, 2014

FA Trophy Preliminary Round

Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) 2-1 Ware (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 North)

It was a solid, if not spectacular first half diplay from us as neither side created anything substantial. The one good chance of the half fell to youngster, Manton, on 38 minutes as he finished well into the corner after being put through by Tregurtha. 10 minutes into the second half we had doubled our lead, Manton again the scorer after their centre half had misjudged the flight of the ball over the top. We were solid after that, but it was a bit of a nervy ending when Jon Stevenson converted after a good freekick into the box with 10 minutes left. We held on though to seal a place in the next round.

We will face Canvey Island from the Ryman Premier in FA Trophy First Qualifying Round away from home.

Tuesday, 16th September, 2014

Horsham (1st) 1-1 Sittingbourne (17th)

We got off to a bad start against the league leaders, with a Higgs corner going straight in via Mittens gloves. We recovered well from this set back and created a few chances as the half wore on, with Tregurtha eventually heading home his first goal for the club just before half-time. The second half was just as tight as the first, although Horsham came the closest to scoring when Higgs hit the side netting from an acute angle. all in all a draw seemed a fair result in an even game.

Peter Roberts tears a calf muscle and is out for 5 to 6 months

Monday, 22nd September, 2014

Aveley offer a contract to Richard Farr

Tuesday, 23rd September, 2014

Jordan Holdsworth suffers a bruised head in training and will be out for 6 to 9 days.

Wednesday, 24th September, 2014

Faversham will be our oppenents in the Robert Dyas Isthmain Football League Cup Second Round, after defeating Brentwood 4-1.

Thursday, 25 September, 2014

Richard Farr rejects Aveley's contract offer

Saturday, 27th September, 2014

Romford offer a contract to Richard Farr.

FA Trophy Fourth Qualifying Round

Canvay Island (Ryman Premier league) 1-0 Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmain Division 1 South)

I went with a 5 man midfield against our higher level opponents, and it worked well in the first half as we restricted them to only one good chance, when Dean hit the side netting from 6 yards. We continued to frustrate them in the second half, but fell behind from a set piece as Dean headed home from a freekick on 66 minutes. Just 3 minutes later Canvay were down to 10 men when Mike Jones was shown a second yellow card. This changed the game as I threw on fit again Koroma to have the second striker. And it was Koroma who had the best chance going through on goal, but maybe a lack of match sharpness meant he allowed the defender to block his shot. We threw men forward hoping to force a draw but we couldn't find a goal and go out.

Monday, 29th September, 2014

We will face Herne Bay away in the Kent Senior Cup Quarter Final if we defeat Dover U21s. If we beat Herne Bay we will face either Gillingam U21s or VCD Athletic in the Semi Finals.

Tuesday, 30th September, 2014

Richard Farr rejects the contract offer from Romford.

d792504a-b277-42b7-bacc-2f6a8b22da11.png

Managers Thoughts

A real mixed bag this month, which I guess is better than constantly losing! Our league position is still grim, but I cant get too down hearted about that as we grabbed a good win over Eastbourne and got a creditable draw away to now-second-placed Horsham. The defeat to then bottom club Herne Bay however, was a poor result. In the cups, we did well. Going out to Canvay Island in the FA Trophy was no disgrace, and we are still in the Isthmian League Cup and Kent Senior Cup. Its good to have Medi Koroma back from injury as well, and hopefully this will give us some much needed fire power. All in all, an improvement on August.

• 2 weeks later...

October - 2014

Wednesday, 1st October, 2014

Kent Senior Cup 2nd Round

Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) aet1-0 Dover U21s (English U21s Group 6)

We go into the match as heavy favourites and alot of the opposition players seem tired going into the match. I stick with 451, hoping to catch Dover out when their legs get even more tired in the second half. The first half went according to plan, with us in control without creating much, with a Murray snap shot on the turn the best we can muster. I bring on Koroma at half-time to go to a 442 and it results in more scoring opportunities for us with Koroma striking wide after bursting through the defence. We didn't have enough to break Dover down and the game goes to extra time. We finally break the deadlock 8 minutes into extra time, after Koroma is put through by Tregurtha, and this time he made no mistake, slotting in the corner. We hold out comfortably to reach the Quarter Finals.

Saturday, 4th October. 2014

Kevin Manton sprains a wrist in training and is out for 2 weeks

Wednesday, 8th October, 2014

Thamesmead offer contract to Richard Farr

Robert Dyas League Cup 2nd Round

Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) 1-2 Faversham (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South)

We play a more youthful side for this match to save ourselves for the weekend league game. We started slowly, and couldnt seem to get to grips with their man in behind the striker. They took the lead after 22 minutes, Cass running on to a ball over the top and rounding my goalkeeper. We struggled for the remainder of the half, but managed to get to half time just the goal down. The second half started well, as Holdsworth converted a Koroma cross from 6 yards to pull us level. The scond half performance was an improvement but an injury to Holdsworth coupled with me using all my substitutions, put us down to 10 men. Faversham regained control of the match, and it was no surprise when Hursit put them back in front on 73 minutes, although slightly frustrating that the goal came from an over-hit cross. We couldnt find a second equaliser and go out of the competition.

Jonathan Turner suffers a thigh strain and will be out for 4 weeks

Saturday, 11th October, 2014

Richard Farr rejects the contract offer from Thamesmead

Sittingbourne (19th) 3-0 Burgess Hill (17th)

We started the match tentatively, with Burgess Hill looking bright and creating chances. However, after 18 minutes, we score against the run of play. James playing in Koroma who made no mistake one-on-one. Burgess Hill continued to be the better side though, and squandered a few oppotunities to get back on terms. The second half proved as much of a struggle, until good work from Tregurtha on the left forced the goalkeeper into an error, and Koroma was on hand to put us 2 up from 3 yards. That seemed to finally settle us down and with 3 minutes left a Baker own goal from a Noone corner added gloss to a match that was more difficult than the score line suggests.

Wednesday, 15th October, 2014

Faversham (11th) 5-0 Sittingbourne (17th)

We started the game positively, but Koroma missed a great chance to put us ahead early on. This was punished, as Guru was played through on 13 minutes, and finished well to give Faversham the lead. Both teams were creating chances in an open game, but it was Guru who struck again on 34 minutes as Girdler gave the ball away cheaply, and we were punished by a swift counter attack. 2-0 was soon 3-0 as Cass was played through and he finished with ease. We started the second half brightly as Holdworth hit the post, but Hursit put the game beyond doubt finishing from 6 yards from a corner in the 55th minute. Another insisive counter attack from Faversham made it 5-0, with Harvey heading home to finish. We continued to create chances as we had done all match with Tregurtha hitting the bar but it just wasnt to be our day.

Saturday, 18th October, 2014

Sittingbourne (18th) 1-1 Merstham (9th)

We started the match in positive fashion, with Koroma denied from a good save by their goalkeeper. The first half evened out to be a tight affair, but the deadlock was finally broken after 41 minutes, as Palmer finished from 2 yards for the visitors after we failed to clear a corner. We pushed forward a little more in the second half looking for an equaliser. Tregurtha coming closest as he hit the bar. We finally got the goal our play deserved, as substitutes Barry and Holdsworth combined with 13 minutes left, with Holdsworth smashing home into the roof of the net. Koroma had a goal dissalowed for offside just minutes later, but neither team was able to force a winner.

Wednesday, 22nd October, 2014

Sittingbourne (20th) 1-2 Whitstable (15th)

Stamp got our opponents off to a flyer after just 5 minutes, as he volleyed home from 25 yards after we cleared a corner. We were quickly 2-0 down after Stamp turned provider, robbing Heyes and setting up Irwin. Medi Koroma got us back into the match just before half time as he latched on to a good through ball from Barry. We played well in the second half without creating any great chances of note and in fact Whitsable probably missed the best chance of the half as Irwin was played through.

We are now back on a worrying run of results in the league.

Saturday, 25th October, 2014

Wingate & Finchley offer a contract to Richard Farr

Sittingbourne (22nd) 1-1 Crawley Down (18th)

The game started evenly with few chances. We looked comfortable enough, before Tsangarides gave the visitors the lead after being played through by Main. After this we played better creating chances, but never looking like finishing one of them. The second half continued much the same. We were having afforts on goal, without creating any clear cut chances. Just as it looked as though we were falling to defeat, Heyes burst forward down the left and crossed for Koroma to equalise in stoppage time.

Tony Barnden given a 1 match ban for picking up 5 yellow cards this season.

Monday, 27th October, 2014

Richard Farr rejects the contract offer from Wingate & Finchley due to bonus disputes

c5352db1-cb51-4f7b-83ac-be5751a3c191.png

League Record

W1 L2 D2

Cup Record

W1 L1 D0

Manager Thoughts

Another disappointing month has seen us drop to just below the relegation zone. Having been quite tight at the back previously, we have started to ship a few more goals and our poor finishing is now starting to get punished. I need to find a way to get the team scoring like last season, whilst trying to keep to (mainly) good defensive work of this campaign. We rely too heavily on Medi Koroma at the moment for goals, with our midfield not chipping in at all at the moment. In our current position the board is also starting to grow a little concerned so I must turn this around soon, or I may be looking for a new job.

November - 2014

Wednesday, November 5th, 2014

Walton & Hersham (12th) 2-0 Sittingbourne (21st)

We started off solidly enough, and had a Koroma header ruled out after 11 minutes. Our opponents took the lead just after the half hour, with Olukoga tapping in from a corner from a yard. We continiued to mix it with Walton & Hersham, but conceded again just before half time, as Olukoga turned provider for Pallidino to smash home from 6 yards. We came out positively in the scond half, having the better of the possession but only threatened when Holdsworth hit the bar around the hour mark. After this we kept pushing but couldnt find a way back into the match.

Friday, 7th November, 2014

Herne Bay offer a conract to Richard Farr

Saturday, 8th November, 2014

Sittingbourne (21st) 0-1 Hastings United (8th)

We went into this game needing to win if I'm to have much chance of keeping my job. Koroma has a great chance to put us ahead but its saved by the goalkeeper after just 5 minutes. Hastings capitalized on that miss and take the lead on 14 minutes, with Philips finishing after some patient build up play. The rest of the half was quite tight and it remained 1-0. In the second half we came out more positively and it resulted in chances but we just couldn't find the net. Attacking so much left us open to counter attacks and the remainder of the game ebbed and flowed with both teams going for the all important next goal but it never came.

Sunday, 9th November, 2014

Richard Farr rejects the contract offer from Herne Bay.

Saturday, 15th November, 2014

Sittingbourne (22nd) 0-0 Peacehaven (12th)

We started the game brightly with Koroma having a good chance saved. We also forced a lot of corners early on to keep Peacehaven under pressure but the first half remained goalless. The second half saw us create more good chances with Koroma and Noone both guilty of not doing better when having good sights at goal. We pressed forward in search of a winner but couldnt find it and had to settle for a good performance and a point.

Saturday, 22nd November, 2014

Ashford (Middx) (8th) 1-1 Sittingbourne (22nd)

We went into the game looking to give as good as we got against Ashford, and we do as the first half is tight, but we held our own. Then in stoppage time of the first half Ashford counter after a freekick of ours is cleared, resulting in Magwood smashing home. We kept plugging away though and our persistance was rewarded, when a good move down the right ended with a cross from Noone and a simple finish for Holdsworth after 54 minutes. We continiued to push forward and looked the most likely to get a winner, but we squandered a couple of clear cut chances. Again, we have to settle for point after a good display.

After the Ashford (Middx) match, the chairman called me in for a private chat which basically ended with me having to get a positive result in our next game in order to keep my job. Our next game is the Kent County Cup Quarter Final, which is a competition that the board have deemed unimportant, so maybe they mean the next league game. I guess I will soon find out enough!

Tuesday, 25th November, 2014

Kent County FA Senior Cup Quarter Final

Herne Bay (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South) 1-0 Sittingbourne (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South)

I took a gamble and played the youngsters for this game, hoping that the board wouldn't consider this one important. The game was tight all the way through, although we shaded the first half in terms of chances, with Manton guilty of failing to find the target on a few occasions. In the second half it was just as close, with hardly any chances of note for either side. But in the 75 minute, Sargeant got free inside the area, and smashed the ball passed Mitten to give the home side the lead. We through men forward in search of an equalizer but were unable to create the chances we needed to score and we went out of the last cup competition of the season for us.

51c58c94-daf0-40b5-92a1-5c911d080f34.png

As it turns out, the board considered the game important enough, and have promptly sacked me. Really disappointed to say the least after losing in a competition that they considered "unimportant". However, I only have my self to blame as we have under achieved all season. Hopefully my reputation is not damaged too much and I can get a job sooner rather than later.

I immediately apply for 2 available positions at GS Kallithea in the Greek National B Division South and Horsham who are in The Ryman Isthmian Division 1 South.

GS Kallithea immediately imformed me that their interview process was already completed so I wont be getting that job.

Saturday, 29th November, 2014

I apply for the vancant position at Newcastle Town (Evo-Stik Division 1 South). Turns out the interview process is over for that one as well so I dont get it.

Horsham, however, have offered me an interview, which I attended.

League Record

W0 L2 D2

Cup Record

W0 L1 D0

Manager Thoughts

Another bad month ends in my sacking. I'm disappointed as I always thought things would turn around eventually. We were competitive in all but maybe 1 match this season, and in many cases created more chances and CCC's than our opponents, but our finishing so often let us down. Now its time to find a new job. I'm going to be picky at first, but if nothing comes up quickly then I guess I'll have to be less selective.

December - 2014

Tuesday, 2nd December, 2014

I applied for the vacant jobs at Kidsgrove Athletic (Evo-Stik Division 1 South) and Paysandu (recently relegated to the Brazilian 3rd Division).

Wednesday, 3rd December, 2014

Horsham decided against hiring me and opted for Chris Tracy instead.

Thursday, 4th December, 2014

I applied for the manager roles at L'Hospitalet (Spanish Second Division B3) and Toledo (Spanish Second Division B2).

Friday, 5th December, 2014

I applied for the managerial role at Romford (Ryman Isthmian Division 1 North).

Saturday, 6th December, 2014

L'Hospitalet rejected my application, however Kidsgrove Athletic offered me an interview which I attended.

Monday, 8th December, 2014

I applied for the managerial roles at Frickley Athletic (Evo-Stik First Division North), Ramsbottom United (Evo-Stik First Division North)

Toledo rejected my application

Romford offered me an interview which I attended.

Wednesday, 10th December, 2014

Kidsgrove Athletic offer me the job as manager, £300 p/w until June 2015. I decide to accept their offer.

Club Preview - 2014/15 - Kidsgrove Athletic

download.jpg

29d82d45-990e-4cf6-87b8-2ae4394dfd90.png

Board Expectations

Evo-Stik First Division South - Mid Table

FA Cup - Already Out

FA Trophy - Already Out

Doodson Sport Northern Premier League Challenge Cup - Already Out

Staffordshire County FA Senior Cup - Already Out

Personal Expectations

The squad I inherit is probably even worse shape than when I took over at Sittingbourne, although I couldn't expect to walk into a better job having not long ago been sacked. This could be a difficult ask to raise Kidsgrove Athletic up to the giddy heights of mid table. We currently lie 19th, just a point and 2 places ahead of the relegation places. Now the dust has settled and I've finally looked at things, I'm not entirely sure I made the best decision coming here, but time will tell.

Budgets

Transfer: £0

Wages: £803 p/w (spending £927)

Balance: -£47,756

Squad

We only have 13 players in the entire squad, quite a few less than I had at Sittingbourne, and 6 of them are injured on the day I take over. This may not have been such a great move. I'll be looking to simply survive this season and hope that can just about keep me my job for next year so I can rebuild the team. The club also have no youth recruitment which I'll be talking to the board about at a later date.

Saturday, 13th December, 2014

Evo-Stik Division 1 South

Kidsgrove Athletic (19th) 1-0 Eastwood (20th)

We started the game brightly, forcing lots of corners and putting Eastwood under pressure. That pressure told after 27 minutes, when their goalkeeper punched the ball clear, only for Knight to head the back into the empty side of the goal from nearly 18 yards. We continued to dominate the first half, with Gardner missing a good chance before half time. The second half saw Eastwood come into the match more and they had a good chance to score when Callon hit the side netting, but we regained control in the latter part of the half to record a victory in my first match in charge.

Sunday, 14th Decemeber, 2014

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer becomes new England manager following the resignation of Roy Hodgson.

Saturday, 20th December, 2014

Retford (20th) 0-0 Kidsgrove Athletic (18th)

The opening exchanges set the tone for a very cagey match between 2 teams in the relegation dog fight. Retford created the best opening in the first half when Max Jones was put through, only for my goalkeeper to make a smart save. The second half was more of the same. This time we created the only chance of note, as Knight played Gardner in, only for the striker to screw his effort wide. I would have hoped for more, but not a bad point.

Tuesday, 23rd Decemeber, 2014

Chasetown (14th) 3-0 Kidsgrove Athletic (17th)

The game started tightly, with no real chances for either side, although Chasetown dominated possession. Then in the 23rd minute Agbor put Chasetown 1 up, after a long ball into our box caught our defence napping. The floodgates opened after this as a Mangan clearance hit McCartney and went into the net for an own goal. After 31 minutes, it was 3-0, as we failed to clear a corner, and Gradison scored from the acutest of angles. What followed in the second half, was nothing short of unbelievable. After having 1 shot in the first half, we fired in 14 attempts in the second half, including 4 CCC's. We hit the post twice, and James in goal made a series of outstanding saves to leave me fuming. I can see goals are going to be hard to come by here as well!

Friday, 26th December, 2014

I ask Halifax FC to extend the loan deal of striker Jordan Byrnes for another 3 months with us making no wage contribution at all. Halifax accept the offer.

Saturday, 27th December, 2014

Kidsgrove Athletic (17th) 0-0 Bedworth (6th)

I started the match with a counter attacking mentallity as I was worried about the pace of the Bedworth forwards. The plan works to a certain extent, but Bedworth still dominate the half, without creating any clear chances. The second half sees us improve, as we try to take the game to our opponents a little more, with substitute Bradley Anderson having a great chance saved when he was put through on goal. Bedworth created a couple of chances in behind my defence so I drop the team back again and we settle for a decent point. I starting to get a little worried about the lack of goals now though as well as the fact that we haven't scored in the last 3 games despite creating 10 CCC's.

Tom Browne pull a hamstring and will be out for 5 to 6 weeks

Sunday, 28th December, 2014

Jordan Byrnes agrees to a 3 month loan extension.

Tuesday, 30th December, 2014

Stamford (21st) 1-1 Kidsgrove Athletic (18th)

I feared the worst when Stamford took the lead after just 5 minutes, with Hipperson heading home from a corner. We were on top for most of the half, but again it was a case of my forwards squandering good chances, with Anderson having the best of them saved when put through one on one. The second half continued in the same fashion, with us on top and unable to score, until Byrnes played substitute Gardner in behind the defence, to score the first goal in open play since I took over after 73 minutes. I threw my players forward in seach of a winner but this resulted in a more disjointed shape and there were no other chances of any note.

Wednesday, 31st December, 2014

I ask Macclesfield to extend the loan deal of Sam Fitton by 5 months with us making no wage contribution.

37a9afe1-d6cd-4943-8687-2abeb20f9158.png

League Record

W1 L1 D3

Manager Thoughts

I am happy to have quickly got back into management, however, I may have inherited a situation even worse than the one I had with Sittingbourne. Only 13 players to choose from leaves me hoping we don't get too many injury problems for the remainder for the season. Also have no youth recruitment policy will mean we cant bring any youngsters through. I have talked to the chairman about that situation but there is no money available for that to be changed.

On a more positive note, we have built up a bit of a gap between ourselves and the bottom 2 relegation places, although our lack of goals will cost us if we don't remedy the problem soon.

It's more of a friendly rivalry, as it tends to be that low down the leagues. When they were both battling to win the league and win promotion to step 8 a few seasons back, a late season game attracted a league record crowd of over 1000 (not broken until FC United were formed). Kidsgrove won 2-0 and went on to win the league, and have stayed up since (albeit with help last season. Worksop going bust earned them a reprieve from relegation).

It's more of a friendly rivalry, as it tends to be that low down the leagues. When they were both battling to win the league and win promotion to step 8 a few seasons back, a late season game attracted a league record crowd of over 1000 (not broken until FC United were formed). Kidsgrove won 2-0 and went on to win the league, and have stayed up since (albeit with help last season. Worksop going bust earned them a reprieve from relegation).

Interesting stuff! Its always nice to hear a little real life background on the team!

January - 2015

Friday, 2nd January, 2015

Sam Fittons loan deal is extended for a further 5 months

Saturday, 10 January, 2015

Rainworth MW (10th) 1-1 Kidsgrove Athletic (18th)

Rainworth got off to a good start, forcing our goalkeeper into a couple of good saves. I made some tactical adjustments, which seemed to work as we steadily became the better side in the first half, without creating many clear cut chances. The second half started the same as the first had, with Rainworth back on top. Their pressure eventually told just after the hour mark, as a tackle by Vaughan succeeded only in playing in McCarthy in the six yard box to tap into an empty net. After this we began to dominate again, as Byrne hit the bar from range. Then, in stoppage time, a Muirhead corner was headed onto the bar by Shaun Mangan, who followed up his own header to bundle home and rescue a point.

Tuesday, 13th January, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (18th) 2-0 Belper (1st)

The first half was a cagey affair, with neither side creating many chances. A run by Christie, followed by a shot which my goalkeeper easily saved was probably the pick of the action. The second half could not have started any better, as a one-two between Gardner and Byrnes saw the former played through, and he slotted home with confidence past the keeper. Belper went on the offensive after that but we held firm. Then on 71 minutes, Byrnes chased down a Gardner flick on. He blocked the defenders clearance, ran past the next man and chipped the keeper to give us a crucial second goal. That seemed to knock the wind out of the league leaders sails and we went closest to adding another goal as a Muirhead freekick almost went straight in from 40 yards.

Saturday, 17th January, 2015

Sheffield (12th) 1-2 Kidsgrove Athletic (18th)

It was a tight start to the game, however, we drew first blood after 21 minutes as Gardner was nicely played through by Byrnes. Gardner produced a nice finish off the post. Gardner quickly doubled our lead 6 minutes later as Byrnes again slipped him through. This time Gardner rounded the keeper and slotted into an empty net.

The second half saw us take more control of the match, without creating many chances. But as my players tired, Sheffield come more into the match. With 10 minutes left, Sheffield pulled a goal back after Harrison finished off a nice move with a cool finish into the corner. Then with just 4 minutes remaining, Fitton saw a second yellow card to leave us with 10 men. This made Sheffield throw caution to the wind, with Amoo having a great chance to score from a corner which hit the side netting.

I was relieved to hear the full time whistle at the end.

Sam Fitton is given a 1 match ban for picking up a red card.

Saturday, 24th January, 2015

Loughborough Dynamo (5th) 1-0 Kidsgrove Athletic (17th)

The first half was a tight affair, although we probably just shaded the chances. A Gardner run and shot being the first attempt of any note. All the chances in the first half were restricted to long range efforts, although Godfrey came close for us, with a header going inches wide from a Gardner freekick. The second half proved equally as cagey. Gardner did, however, have a great chance to put us ahead after 70 minutes but put his effort wide. Then, in the 80th minute, Morris played a great first time pass to Chalk, who ran in behind the defence and chipped the keeper to give Loughborough the winner.

Tuesday, 27th January, 2015

Ben Muirhead is suffering from flu. I send him home, so he will be out for between 8 to 11 days

Saturday, 31st January, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (18th) 1-1 Leek (3rd)

Leek started the game the brighter of the two teams, as they sought to get the ball behind my defence at every opportunity. I dropped the team back midway through the half and this seemed to get us back into the game as an attacking threat. Mangan missing a good chance from a corner, being the best chance of the half. The second half saw us alot more in the ascendancy. Gardner missed a good chance to put us ahead after 54 minutes. But after 71 minutes, we took the lead. Byrnes playing Gardner through, and although his first touch was poor, his second saw him rifle home off the underside of the bar. We couldn't hold on though, as just 9 minutes later, Leek were level when Wilson headed in a deep cross. An injury to Nicholas left us down to 10 men with 5 minutes left but we held on for a point.

26b6f3da-1f60-4ebd-a844-9f34b608ff96.png

League Record

W2 L1 D2

Managers Thoughts

A pretty good month, and yet we've only pulled away 1 more point from the bottom 2 places, and have dropped a place to 19th. We are drawing too many games at the moment, but at least we haven't lost too often, so hopefully we can continue to pick up enough points to survive.

February - 2015

Tuesday, 3rd February, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (19th) 0-2 Market Drayton (13th)

The first half was tight, although we created a couple of chances. Gardner was closest to scoring when he hit a half chance into the side netting from an acute angle. Market Drayton proved more of a threat on the counter after the break and their threat turned into the opener after 58 minutes. A corner headed across goal was turned into his own net by Fitton. We threw men forawrd in search of an equaliser, with Gardner squandering a great one-on-one chance to level things. The points were sealed for our opponents after a quick counter saw Moseley played through and he made no mistake one-on-one. Baker was sent off in the last minute for the away side but it was too late to save us from my first home defeat in charge.

Saturday, 7th February, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (19th) 3-1 Barewell (12th)

The game got off to the best possble start, as, after 8 minutes, Anderson was played through and did just enough to put it away off of the post, after the goalkeeper got a hand to it. The rest of the half was tight, with few chances. I tweaked things slightly in the second half, and it paid instant dividends, as Knight found Nicholas out wide, who hit the byline to cross for Byrnes, who couldn't miss from 2 yards. After 65 minutes it was 3-0, with Gardner beating 2 men before slotting in nicely. Barewell had nothing to lose after that and threw caution to the wind. Just 2 minutes after our third goal Hope scored after a good one-two with Burke. Barwell had one or two chances after that to set up a grand stand finish, but we held firm to secure a much needed win.

Saturday, 14th February, 2015

Brigg (12th) 1-3 Kidsgrove Athletic (18th)

The game started end to end with both teams creating chances. Muirhead probably had the best of them, but he skewed his shot wide from 10 yards on his weaker left foot. In the second half we started to take control of the match, and just before the hour mark we took the lead. Byrnes played Gardner in behind their defence, and he raced clear to finish smartly just inside the far post. 10 minutes later it was 2-0, as Godfrey won the ball in midfield and released Gardner. Gardner burst into the box and stood up a cross to the far post for Byrnes to score a simple tap in.We had chances to increase our lead when Gray headed against the post from a corner and Gardner struck the bar from range. Brigg went down to 10 men shortly after due to an injury to Lataille. Despite this they pulled a goal back with 1 minute left as Robson headed home right wing cross. This set up a frantic ending in which Brigg put 4 up front. However, a Byrnes freekick sealed the points 4 minutes into stoppage time, as the ball squirmed under the goalkeeper.

Saturday, 21st February, 2015

Evo-Stik Dvision 1 South

Congleton (6th) 2-0 Kidsgrove Athletic (15th)

The game got off to a calamatous start for us in the first minute, a clearance inside our box, hit another of our defenders, allowing Bushell a simple header home from a couple of yards. This aside the first half was a tight affair. Gardner had a good chance midway through the half to equalise but screwed his effort wide. The second half saw Congleton take more control, although we rstricted them to mostly a succession of corners. I adjusted the tactics slightly as the half progressed, and this saw a chance for Byrnes squandered with only the keeper to beat. In stoppage time, with us throwing men forward, we got caught on the break, and Travis committed a dubious a foul to give away a penalty. O'Loughlin made no mistake from the spot to seal the points.

Ben Muirhead has a stubbbed toe and will be out for 9 to 12 days.

Tuesday, 24th February, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (16th) 1-0 Gresley (11th)

In this match it was us who got off to a dream start. Gardner was played through, only for Asare's challenge on him to slip past the keeper for an own goal in the first minute. We controlled the first half well but couldn't add to our tally. Gresley were more on top in the second half, with James guilty of missing a couple of great chances. But we held on, with Anderson going close to adding a second in stoppage time, as his shot flashed just wide from range.

Saturday, 28th February, 2015

Mickleover (19th) 0-1 Kidsgrove Athletic (13th)

The first half ebbed and flowed, although neither team created anything of real note. Mickleover probably shaded the chances in terms of quality, but couldn't hit the target with shots from inside the area. The second half saw Mickleover start the brighter, forcing a few corners, and forcing my goalkeeper into a couple of good saves. But it was us that finally broke the dealock on 66 minutes, when a ball from Godfrey on the left found Byrnes on the edge of the area. Byrnes proceeded to volley home from 20 yards right into the far corner. Mickleover were back on top after this, with a great double save from Read in stoppage time, the difference between 1 point and 3.

0bd57074-930d-4d22-a5b2-2e05c40f92fb.png

League Record

W4 L2 D0

Managers Thoughts

Pretty pleased with the results this month all in all. The 4 wins have pushed us into a comfortable mid-table position. With 10 games to go we now have a 15 point gap between ourselves and the bottom two, so it would take a disastrous run, not to mention 5+ wins from the bottom two, to see us relegated. Its looking increasingly like its going to be 2 from the bottom 3 clubs that go down, as they have been cast adrift from the rest over the past month. Newcastle down do have games in hand, but that means little when you're struggling. At the top, anyone from Chasetown, in 9th, upwards, could get a playoff place. In fact, Chasetown may even fancy that they could win the league if they put a great run together. It should go down to the wire.

March - 2015

Saturday, 7th March, 2015

Sutton Coldfield (7th) 1-0 Kidsgrove Athletic (13th)

The game started in open fashion with both teams having good chances to score. Doughty had a great chance for us from a corner but he hit the post. It was the home side who put one of their chances away on 17 minutes, when Bouable was played in behind the defence to slot home. The first half continued to be end to end but with no further goals. The second half saw us be more positive. Gardner missed our best chance after Byrnes put him clean through. Sutton Coldfield always looked dangerous on the counter, however, but woeful finishing saw them miss a few good chances. Gardner came closest to an equaliser with 20 minutes left when he struck the bar from range, but we couln't break through.

Monday, 9th March, 2015

With Jordan Byrnes loan deal ending soon I ask Halifax for a 3 month extension.

Wednesday, 11th March, 2015

Jordan Byrnes agrees to extend his loan deal by 3 months. We will make no wage contribution.

Saturday, 14th March, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (14th) 2-4 Newcastle Town (20th)

Newcastle Town came at us hard from the start and were it not for a couple of smart saves from Read we could have been a goal behind early. After weathering the storm, we took the lead after 33 minutes, with Byrnes finishing a nice move down the left involving Muirhead and Gardner. We got in at half time a goal to the good. Then at the start of the second half, Newcastle town took advantage of Gardner being down injured to breakaway and score through Brown. Gardner had to come off, and thanks to 3 other injuries already, we were down to 10 men. Newcastle took full advantage, as Andrew converted from a corner on 64 minutes to give them the lead. 3 minutes later, it was 3-1, Brown grabbing his second after Mahoney played a neat ball into the box. On 73 minutes we then had hope, as Fitton was fouled in the box, and Byrnes converted to make it 3-2. Then Newcastle went right up the other end, as Brown completed his hattrick to seal the points.

Dereece Gardner suffers a broken ankle and is out for 3 to 4 months.

James Vaughan suffers a dislocated jaw and is out for 5 to 6 weeks.

Ben Muirhead suffers bruised shin and is out for 9 to 12 days.

Tuesday, 17th March, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (16th) 1-3 Chasetown (6th)

We started poorly, so it was no surprise when Agbor gave Chasetown the lead after only 10 minutes, after running in behind our suddenly porous defence. We hung in there but just before the break, they got the crucial second goal. Morris slipping in Haines for a carbon copy of the first goal, only from the opposite flank. We got off to the perfect start to the second half as Doughty won a header from a Godfrey corner, and Anderson bundled the ball over the line. But on the hour Morris gave Chasetown back there 2 goal cushion when Jackson played him in. Anderson squandered a great chance one-on-one when Byrnes played him through, but that chance aside the game fizzled out.

Saturday, 21st March, 2015

Carlton (12th) 1-1 Kidsgrove Athletic (17th)

The first half was fairly uneventful, with a chance for Stringfellow probably the only good sight at goal that either side had in the first half. However, just before half-time, Anderson was sent off for a second bookable offence for diving and we were down to 10 men. We re-jigged the formation at half time and had no-one upfront, and this seemed to work as we had the best of the chances. Byrnes got away from the last defender on the hour mark but could only shoot wide. Then, completely against the run of play, Carlton broke down the left through Carter, and he burst through and chipped the goalkeeper with 6 minutes remaining. I quickly changed the formation again and put Muirhead in the inside forward position, and it immediately paid dividends when he burst through and smashed into the top corner from 25 yards. We kept pushing for a winner, but in the end it was the 11 men of Carlton who escaped with a point.

Bradley Anderson gets a 1 match ban for his red card.

Saturday, 28th March, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (17th) 0-0 Spalding (15th)

With only one available striker, I had to go with an unusual 451 formation. It seemed to work well in the first half as we worked a few openings for Muirhead, but he didn't have his shooting boots on. The second half was an even tighter affair with Byrnes having one effort on goal go harmlessly wide. Thulbourne had Spalding's only real chance in stoppage time, but he couldn't hit the target from an acute angle.

2c4dd148-0c72-4e0d-b4b8-05514fcccd49.png

League Record

W0 L3 D2

Manager Thoughts

After a poor month, we are back in the relegation fight that we had got ourselves out of in February. We were unfortunate against Newcastle town going down to 10 men, but we were poor in the other 2 defeats. We have battled hard to get those last 2 draws considering our problems with injuries this month. I also feel we have enough to stay up. I'm just not sure we'll finish high enough to keep my job! I'm not sure I want to keep it anyway, as once again I will have to completely reshape the whole squad next year. Thing are still tight at the top of the league, though it's looking like Bedworth and Loughborough will be battling for the title.

April - 2015

Wednesday, 1st April, 2015

Head Physio Guy Taylor signs a new contract on £50 p/w until June 2016

Thursday, 2nd April, 2015

Assistant Manager Ross James signs a new contract on £50 p/w until June 2016

Chief Scout Matthew Smith signs a new deal on £50 p/w until June 2016

Saturday, 4th April, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (18th) 1-0 Lincoln Utd (14th)

We started the match well, controlling possession without creating too many chances. Harrison did have a good chance, but the left back fired a limp shot with his weaker right foot straight at the keeper. Later in the half, Anderson also missed a good chance on his weaker side, missing the target completely. The second half saw Lincoln get back into the match and they had a great chance when Doughty gave the ball away at the back, allowing Clark to get in behind, but Read made a good stop. After 68 minutes, we got our noses in front. Muirhead put in a teasing cross from the left, and Anderson latched on to finish from 6 yards. Lincoln came again after that, and we almost gifted them an equaliser in the last minute, when Doughty headed the ball back into our own box, but Ferguson could only hit the side netting.

Monday, 6th April, 2015

Eastwood (19th) 0-0 Kidsgrove (16th)

The first half was cagey, with both sides needing the points for their relegation battles. We had the best chance of the first half when Anderson went through, but he allowed the defender to get back and make a block and the ball trickled just wide of the post. Our opponents contributed a little more after the break, without creating any great chances. With 2 minutes left Byrnes was in the clear, but again, he allowed the defender the chance to block his shot. From the resulting corner, Doughty had a decent headed chance, but it went over the bar. The point is more useful to us than Eastwood.

Saturday, 11th April, 2015

Bedworth (1st) 3-0 Kidsgrove Athletic (15th)

We got off to a bad start, as Albrighton rose highest from a corner, to head Bedworth into the lead after 5 minutes. The rest of the half remained tight, with us creating the best chance, when Anderson got free of the last defender, but he saw his effort saved. Within 10 minutes of the second half the leaders had stretched their lead, Voice heading home an Egan cross. We were creating little and with 20 minutes left, Kay smashed in after Browne didn't adequately clear a corner. However, with results elsewhere, we are ensured for survival for this season.

Bedworth guarantee at least a playoff place.

Saturday, 18th April, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (15th) 1-1 Retford (17th)

Retford knew that a win would guarantee them saftey for this season, and they came at us from minute 1. If not for our goalkeeper, and some poor finishing, we could easily have been 3 or 4 goals down by half-time. Amazingly, just 3 minutes into the second half, a deep freekick from Muirhead was converted by Anderson to give us the lead. The game was more even after this and we missed a few chances to double our lead. But eventually Retford got the goal their overall play deseved in the 71st minute. Lewis finishing a nice team move down the left from six yards. We had chances to win the match from there, with a Byrnes volley being well saved by their keeper. The resulting corner saw a Doughty shot blocked on the line, but a win for us would have been unfair on our opponents.

Bedworth win the Evo-Stik Division 1 South and gain automatic promotion.

Chasetown and Sheffield secure playoff places.

Stamford are relegated.

Saturday, 25th April, 2015

Kidsgrove Athletic (15th) 2-3 Stamford (22nd)

Yet another game where the team seems to already be on its holidays. Burnell put the away side a goal up after 16 minutes, heading home a cross from a yard. Osei-Sirbour made it 2 before the half hour, with Burnell turning provider this time as his cross was turned in by the unmarked forward. Moriarty sealed the points in the second half with a tap in from a freekick and at this point I thought it would be a case of how many. But we fought back. Byrnes signing off his loan spell with a fantastic long range strike on 73 minutes. Then with 2 minutes left, a Muirhead corner was turned into his own net by Burnell to set up a grandstand finish. However no more chances were forthcoming, finishing off a poor last few months of the season.

Belper and Leek secure plaoff places.

Newcastle Town are relegated.

e9b1bae5-7917-4780-bfec-b46e822f3e74.png

League Record

W1 L2 D1

Manager Thoughts

I was hoping the win over Lincoln Utd might kick us on for the run in, but that result all but secured safety and the players seemed to switch off from that point on wards. On the positive side, we have survived and comfortably in the end. We have also managed to nudge ourselves up a few places from when I took over. I still have no contract offer, but if I get one I think I'll take it. I can't see many other offers coming my way. Its going to be a busy summer!

Archived