My only tactic success this year

Well, it has been a rough "FM year" for me. I've tried an enormous amount of tactics, I've read an enormous amount of articles (which I've never done before but I really enjoy now), I've seen a lot of forums, I've created some threads myself, but things weren't going as I liked. I've struggled to finish my first season and at some point it was being hard to pick up the game and try again. But I did manage to go and try it again. I started a save with my favorite club, Benfica, and I decided to try a semi-real life inspired tactic of their own style of play 3 years ago. And I've come up with this:

vr7l.jpg

Players Instructions:

GK - Pass it shorter; Distribute to defenders

Both FB - Close Down More

Both CB - Ease off tackles; Pass it shorter

Defensive Midfielder (I've played him the 2nd half of the season as a DLP with the same instructions and it worked wonders too) - Pass it shorter; Tackle harder; Fewer risky passes

Advanced Playmaker (who went to support for almost all of the season) - Close down more

Right Midfielder - Shoot less often

Left Midfielder - Shoot less often; Sit narrower

Deep Lying Forward - Roam from position; Dribble more; Shoot less often

Target Man - none

The main objective of the team was to assist the Target Man. That's why I've set up 2 wide midfielders and even the left one (who I have to sit narrower) is a left foot player so he can go to the line and make a cross. The fullbacks and center backs have pretty standard roles, nothing much to add. And then there are the 3 most important roles:

The Defensive Midfielder/DLP: he's main role is to cut off the opposition attack, but, as can you see by his role on the 2nd half of the season, I also wanted him to be the first player to organize the game. The thing is, I don't him to be making long passes and through balls that often, I just want him to make a simple pass to the AP or the Wide Midfielders or to recycle possession with the center backs and full backs

The AP: very hard to getting him to play as I wanted. I wanted him to carry the ball and combine with the DLF often to try open spaces and score some goals. This didn't ended up being like that. And so, i switched him to support and decided to make a him more a player for the team. And this turned up to work very well. He still managed 7 goals and a very good season rating. (I've given my player some PPM (never done that!): plays one-twos and runs with the ball through the center. This helped achiving what I wanted from him)

The DLF: the "nomad". Why? Since my AP wasn't really creating the spaces I wanted, this guy had to be running up and down, left to right to try and compensate for that. And things turned to be very good for him: 15 goals and 15 assists. He did exactly what I wanted: created space, scored goals and assisted the big guy up front. At some harder games he was instructed to man mark one of the opposition midfielders and that turned to be vital, mainly on the Champions League.

This tactic worked well and it was the only one that I've made that created the movement I wanted upfront. However, it didn't create many chances, but to be honest, the chances it did create were very good. I'm now trying it with Everton and so far it has been good. Althought it worked I know it has flaws (mainly at the midfield) and I would really appreciate some tips and advices. If someone wants to try it, please go for it. It would be awesome to have some feedback

(and sorry for my bad english, it isn't my 1st language)

Archived