The 'Triple X' Set - Home, Away & Maverick - The Wingers are back!!

Greeting once more,

Once I'd put up the DOM set I thought that was me done with FM14, however although results have been consistently good the fact that the formations didn't seem very 'real world' started to bug me, as did the Wingbacks.

Additionally, as a lot of 'World Stars' operate in the AMR/AML slots I wasn't happy that people were having to retrain them so i wanted to bring back Wingers/Inside forwards.

Now I didn't actually expect to improve the performance over my previous 'sets' however my Tonbridge team have definitely kicked onto the next level as you'll see below.

As is now customary I recommend using a 3 tactic set as outlined below.

They all share the same defensive platform which i have long considered to be the best defensive set up in the game, however it requires committing 6 players to defence, the issue then is utilizing the attacking 4 in such a way that you carry enough of a goal threat to make the tactic effective.

Defensive set up.

8DSQMTy.png

The attacking players are then distributed as follows with each tactic.

AWAY TACTIC

U2GtmVy.png

On the away tactic we are naturally fairly cautious with only our Striker on attack duty, players on Support duty are excellent at supporting attacks when we are in possession so there is still plenty of goal threat, especially counter attacking whilst defensively being really solid.

HOME TACTIC

pKIxZVi.png

The central midfielder is now pushed upto the AMC slot utilizing the Enganche role. The mentality has moved from Control to Standard. DW are now Inside Forwards. We now carry a greater attacking threat without compromising our solid defence too much.

MAVERICK TACTIC

7jhgXJA.png

The most attacking set up. The mentality is now Attacking, retain possession is off which means the tempo is a bit higher and we play slightly more direct. the Inside forwards are now on attack duty. Even with this set up we are really solid at the back.

WHEN TO USE WHAT !!

HOME GAMES

Strong Favourite - Maverick Tactic

Favourite - Home Tactic

Evens - Home Tactic

Under dog - Away Tactic

AWAY GAMES

Strong Favourite - Home Tactic

Favourite - Home Tactic

Evens - Away Tactic

Under dog - Away Tactic

TO PULL BACK A GOAL/RECOVERY = MAVERICK TACTIC

THE TACTICS

AWAY

https://www.mediafire.com/?1x83ucokip0g5cj

HOME

https://www.mediafire.com/?4vvezgnqyqxgvny

MAVERICK

https://www.mediafire.com/?ousypl42wdohsvn

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Results are not massively relevant at this point as you wont be aware of how strong my Tonbridge team are and at this stage to me, its more about how the tactic plays out.

However last 2 season I've finished 7th & 6th with the DOM set, i've definitely kicked on using this set.

I would equate my current team as similar to Southampton in the EPL season one. Some excellent players but firmly below the top teams in the division.

OZ8DeGK.png

czu1Nue.png

PLAYER ROLES

Complete Forward/Attack

ACCELERATION

Finishing

Composure

Technique

There's no doubt acceleration is vital for the Complete Forward as well as the IF/DW. I've seen mine break from inside our own half and run half the length of the pitch before scoring on more than one occasion. A single advanced striker on attack duty works really well, you can expect a goal a game from yours, more if you are a top team.

Inside Forward/Defensive Winger

ACCELERATION

Finishing

Crossing

Passing

Don't worry about getting different players for the DW - IF roles, attributes geared towards the IF role will be fine for all. Again Acceleration is very helpful during counter attacks, getting to lose balls before defenders and getting back to help defensively. This guys provide a massive goal threat both creatively and as goals scorers in there own right.

Enganche

TECHNIQUE

Creativity

Flair

Finishing

Bit of a weird one this. Described as a static 'hook' for the team, these guys are actually very mobile and to my mind operate as a kind of 'super charged' Shadow Striker. Great creators and superb at timing late runs into the box. They will score and create plenty.

Central Midfield/Support

PASSING

Work Rate

Team Work

Determination

If/when you are a top team you'll only really need one of these as you wont be using the away tactic much. In fact, I try and make sure one of my Enganche's fits this role well as well so I can just use him if i need to use the Away tactic. For those of you with weaker teams or moving thru the divisions its worth investing in a couple of these as you will use the Away tactic a lot.

Defensive Midfield (Support & Defend)

TACKLING

Passing

Team Work

Jumping Reach/Acceleration

You will be using 2 of these at all times. I favour a Big Guy in the defensive role and a Quick Guy in the support role. Due to the way the 2 more attacking tactics are set up you need both to be good passers. The Short Passing players instruction is removed from both these players to enable them to bridge the gap between defence and attack with some pin point passing. You can consider them both 'lite' DLP's if you like. The DM on support duty will venture as far forward as the edge of the penalty area during sustained attacks.

Full Backs

TACKLING

Positioning

Team Work

Passing

Full backs on support duty offer an excellent balance of defence and attack. You have the luxury here of going with 2 dominant headers and concentrating on defensive/physical qualities here if you like. I personally still like 'footballers' in these roles but its tempting to have 4 physically dominant players across the back. A great option for those in the lower leagues.

Centre Backs

JUMPING REACH

Positioning

Tackling

Determination

Offensively these guys dont have to do much. They always have an easy pass on to one of the DM's. Make sure one of them is fairly quick and put him on the 'cover' role, (left CB). Simples.

Goal Keeper

AERIAL ABILITY

Reflexes

One on One's

Handling

You main threat to your goal is going to be from crosses and set pieces so someone dominant in this regard is key. The rest should be fairly obvious.

ATTRIBUTE LEVELS

English Premier League - minimum attribute levels - KEY 15 the rest 12. Elite/Champions League KEY 18 the rest 15.

Scale accordingly for your level/division.

Excellent work Mr R - Look forward to giving this a go. Have my long-term save on hold as I just couldn't get the DOM combination to work with Villa (although its doing just fine on another save I have with Shrewsbury in L1).

I think you made a lot of people happy managing Bayern (Robben, Ribery) and Real (Ronaldo, Bale) and/ore playing in the Dutch leagues.

Wingers rule! ;) I think I might use this for my new Chelsea save.

Really liking the look of this new set. Shame I am stuck at work :(

I am doing really well having switched to FOB/DOM for my second season but I think I will make the switch to these as I do want to use wingers and full backs. Even if there is a bit of short-term loss of form as the new set becomes fluid I think it will be worth it.

Thanks for your hard work on this Mr. R! :) As always it is really appreciated.

One question Mr. Rosler.

Having managed to acquire Sergio Aguero and Diego Costa this season to replace Torres, Ba and Eto'o, which would you think is best suited to the CFA role and which to the Enganche? I'm at work at the moment and can't take a look at them.

This is going to take an amazing amount of work on my part, my Bristol city side has gone from s&s sets to DOM sets so is overloaded with CM's and WB's reckon i will be pushing 15-20 squad changes through in 1 summer but willing to have a go as MR U Rosler has not let me down so far and after finishing 12th in first season in prem i can maybe afford to push the boat out and try something new

Mr Rosler - Once again many thanks for all your efforts to help numpties like me find a tactic that works. I note you do not use play narrow, would this make the system even harder to score against?

possibly, but it can negatively effect the attack at the same time.

This is going to take an amazing amount of work on my part, my Bristol city side has gone from s&s sets to DOM sets so is overloaded with CM's and WB's reckon i will be pushing 15-20 squad changes through in 1 summer but willing to have a go as MR U Rosler has not let me down so far and after finishing 12th in first season in prem i can maybe afford to push the boat out and try something new

I moved over pretty easily, my wingbacks were retrained wide midfielders and natural in the AMR/AML roles already which was fortunate. i had a mixture of CM'S who could also play DM or AMC so i only needed to sign couple of players.

I'd take a look at who can be retrained and used elsewhere before going mental!

I moved over pretty easily, my wingbacks were retrained wide midfielders and natural in the AMR/AML roles already which was fortunate. i had a mixture of CM'S who could also play DM or AMC so i only needed to sign couple of players.

I'd take a look at who can be retrained and used elsewhere before going mental!

ScreenShot2014-04-09at181023.png

already been pretty busy lmao

Now have to choose between Boucher (just signed) Feilding (now 3rd choice england keeper) or Pantillimon who just decided he wants to join

ScreenShot2014-04-09at181023.png

already been pretty busy lmao

Now have to choose between Boucher (just signed) Feilding (now 3rd choice england keeper) or Pantillimon who just decided he wants to join

You might want to leave training on team cohesion for a while :lol:

Mr Rosler - Once again many thanks for all your efforts to help numpties like me find a tactic that works. I note you do not use play narrow, would this make the system even harder to score against?

Play narrow only affects possesion. NOT defensive stance... so the play narrow instruction only really has effect on how your team plays when going forward. Defensively your team will adjust width according to opposition :)

Interesting formation there Mr Rosler. Im going to be sticking with the DOM set, mostly because Ive just finished pre season and training a new tactic could be a disaster! (Plus I have absolutely fell in love with the wing back!!!)

Do you find that you lose alot of second balls in the middle of the park with that home tactic? I was tinkering with a similar formation a few months back and found that teams were picking the ball up to easily in the center circle and then running at the defence. (Obviously your results dont lie though!)

Interesting formation there Mr Rosler. Im going to be sticking with the DOM set, mostly because Ive just finished pre season and training a new tactic could be a disaster! (Plus I have absolutely fell in love with the wing back!!!)

Do you find that you lose alot of second balls in the middle of the park with that home tactic? I was tinkering with a similar formation a few months back and found that teams were picking the ball up to easily in the center circle and then running at the defence. (Obviously your results dont lie though!)

not noticed that, but bear in mind we only use that when we are favourites (or chasing the game) so we shouldnt really be under a lot of pressure. The wingers and enganche do drop quite deep at times.

Play narrow only affects possesion. NOT defensive stance... so the play narrow instruction only really has effect on how your team plays when going forward. Defensively your team will adjust width according to opposition :)

Thank you for the reply, learn something new every day on these forums.

I've started a save with Spurs using this set. First game of the season (at WHL), using home tactic, and I won 6-0. Against who? Arsenal. They didn't really have a chance against our strength. Hope this set of tactics make the game more enjoyable.

I've taken a screen shot but I can't post it here. I was trying using the "post image" icon but somehow I can't.

Will try again later.

Cheers Mr.Rosler

Having very mixed results so far XXX-away being the most disastrous 4-0 in 30 mins admittedly to man utd and it was 1st game of season so far from fluid (as you would expect with my massive turn around of players) then xxx-home got 2 wins and a draw and then Burnley of all people beat me 0-1 at home still not fluid in all areas ( even after 15 games inc pre season) going to stick with it and see where it goes

Mr U Rosler, great work yet again. Just been promoted 1st with Boro in my first season using your DOM tactics and going to start prem season with new set. On the Dom setup I used my ass man for the general training, and 50% on the bar pre season with match tactics then start of season 40% attack move. Would similar set up work with the new set??

Thanks again matey....C

Mr U Rosler, great work yet again. Just been promoted 1st with Boro in my first season using your DOM tactics and going to start prem season with new set. On the Dom setup I used my ass man for the general training, and 50% on the bar pre season with match tactics then start of season 40% attack move. Would similar set up work with the new set??

Thanks again matey....C

Forgot to mention that only made 3 signings in my first season

Having very mixed results so far XXX-away being the most disastrous 4-0 in 30 mins admittedly to man utd and it was 1st game of season so far from fluid (as you would expect with my massive turn around of players) then xxx-home got 2 wins and a draw and then Burnley of all people beat me 0-1 at home still not fluid in all areas ( even after 15 games inc pre season) going to stick with it and see where it goes

You were always going to run into trouble erly doors with that many squad changes. stick with it. confident you will improve on last years 12th placed finish.

Thanks again matey....C

That sounds fine.

Not a bad set, which one do you like better? FOM/DOM vs Triple X set? I'm currently using FOM/DOM set and have signed a bunch of players this season for the set although my top CMs can fill the Enganche role very well and I can move one of my CM/S to DM to combine with my 2 DM rotation already. The only people I have trouble seeing a place in this formation are the Powerhouse DLFs I have, what should I do with these guys? If their acceleration wont go over 15 fully developed get rid of them?

Not a bad set, which one do you like better? FOM/DOM vs Triple X set? I'm currently using FOM/DOM set and have signed a bunch of players this season for the set although my top CMs can fill the Enganche role very well and I can move one of my CM/S to DM to combine with my 2 DM rotation already. The only people I have trouble seeing a place in this formation are the Powerhouse DLFs I have, what should I do with these guys? If their acceleration wont go over 15 fully developed get rid of them?

Currently using and prefer Triple X set. I've nearly finished first full season using this with Tonbridge and I will post results later. Can any of the DLF retrain as Enganche or are they not technical enough? My current squad is not perfect but i will slowly transition the whole team over to my preferred attributes.

You were always going to run into trouble erly doors with that many squad changes. stick with it. confident you will improve on last years 12th placed finish.

Yep I was always going to struggle early in the season, it's starting to come together now tho. Really training them hard, tactics 50% match training and very high team cohesion training. I reckon by November I should be fully fluid lol. I won't be buying and selling so many players anymore in one go tho as I got some real nice ones will just be youngsters to train into a full team lol

I've chosen Chelsea (as I mentioned earlier) and am wondering where to put Frank Lampard in the Triple X tactic.

I guess he is too old for training into another postion, but he is also too important to be left out, I think.

What would you do with him?

OK, finished 1st season with this set and Tonbridge.

Finished 3rd in the League which is fantastic, especially as only 3 Champions League places were up for grabs and i had a real job on holding off Arsenal.

Beat Inter in the quarters and Real Madrid in the Semi's of the Euro Cup only to lose 3-2 to Atletico in the final.

Got beat in 3rd round of FA cup by League 1 team :lol: but got to the semi's of the League Cup before losing narrowly to Man U so all in all well happy.

5cKnRxK.png

If Chelsea keep getting 98 points i'm never going to get near the title.

Complete Forward 34 goals - 12 assists. Happy with him, however doesn't meet my attributes for a Champions League level striker so I'm gonna have to sniff around.

Uq7DRBz.jpg

Should I use left footed players for the AML slot or right footed? (and vice versa for the AMR slot)

This is not something I think about anymore. Pro's and con's to both, it evens out in the end so I wouldn't worry.

I've chosen Chelsea (as I mentioned earlier) and am wondering where to put Frank Lampard in the Triple X tactic.

I guess he is too old for training into another postion, but he is also too important to be left out, I think.

What would you do with him?

Enganche all day long. His only draw back is he's not so quick anymore but thats not a massive deal for this role.

The other possibility is to use him in the DM support role, think he's competent at DM. Retrain him and he's likely to be accomplished in 10 to 15 games. He would be good there,

Also in regards to the DM, since in your role description it says short passing disabled and are key in connecting to the attacking players would the play short simple passes ppm be considered a negative on them?

Not ideal but again I wouldn't stress about it. He could lay off passes into the other DM, the Full Backs are normally close to the DM's and the Enganche often comes deep to pick up the ball.

Here is the striker I was talking about. His technique and Acc might be able to get up to 15 max. Doesnt have the creativity/flair for the Enganche role. I think he would still be able to play CF competently as he is super strong in the air and finishing and his speed and technique is decent enough What do you think?

Paul_Gerritsen_Overview_Profile.jpg

I started my 2nd season with Chelsea using FOB/DOM and doing very well, but I decided to make the switch to Triple X because I wanted to use wingers. Got a couple of games in last night after spending time making filters and going over my squad to decide who plays where. When I plugged the tactics in of course they were not fluid, to varying degrees. The away tactic was most fluid so I decided to use that in the first game even though I was favored to win. Scored quickly but then conceded a stupid goal, so I switched to Maverick at HT. Again I scored quickly so I left it on Maverick hoping to add a couple more. Instead I gave up another goal and it finished 2-2. Second game was a Capital One Cup game at home to a Championship team, so I went with the Home tactic. I gave Costa and Aguero a rest and started with Lukaku up front. He was a beast scoring 2 goals as we won 3-0. Very excited about the rest of the season using this set as they become fluid.

Great job Mr. R!! :)

Here is the striker I was talking about. His technique and Acc might be able to get up to 15 max. Doesnt have the creativity/flair for the Enganche role. I think he would still be able to play CF competently as he is super strong in the air and finishing and his speed and technique is decent enough What do you think?

Paul_Gerritsen_Overview_Profile.jpg

He's young, give him enough games and most of his stats will increase significantly.

I'd use him as Complete Forward. Any 18 year old striker I've had has been unable to handle being first choice. I'd break him in gently.

My attribute guidelines are just that, you can go your own way and build a team that suits you. 13 acceleration, for example, might be ok for your striker, instead of gunning straight for goal he might hold the ball up and link play,

The attributes I put up are for how I want my team to play.

Glad you brought a more 'realistic' tactic back to the forums :-)

Do you use O/I? can't find a mention of it in the post and it has such a big influence on how the players react.

cheers...

I never use OI's

Archived