No regens wanna sign Aston Villa :(

Hey guys

So, I have picked up FM14 again after some time away and decided to focus on regen snatching but I have an annoying problem.

I'm playing Aston Villa - first season, really well situated in PrL (6th placed), everyone is happy. BUT, whenever I approach a freshly generated youth player, he just rejects me. Doesn't even get to the talking point with him. I've tried to sign 20+ regens now and everyone just rejects me, saying they're not interested in negotiating a contract just now. Some says it's because they're still new to their mother club (duh)...

Does anyone know anything about this? A game setting I have to change? I'm playing with the latest update, 14.3.0 (something).

Replies will be much appreciated.

Jake

Hey guys

So, I have picked up FM14 again after some time away and decided to focus on regen snatching but I have an annoying problem.

I'm playing Aston Villa - first season, really well situated in PrL (6th placed), everyone is happy. BUT, whenever I approach a freshly generated youth player, he just rejects me. Doesn't even get to the talking point with him. I've tried to sign 20+ regens now and everyone just rejects me, saying they're not interested in negotiating a contract just now. Some says it's because they're still new to their mother club (duh)...

Does anyone know anything about this? A game setting I have to change? I'm playing with the latest update, 14.3.0 (something).

Replies will be much appreciated.

Jake

Depends on a number of things really

Who you are trying to sign them off is one, if you are poaching Barca's youngsters they are hardly going to want to leave for Villa.

If they have only just signed a contract they usually won't want to leave either, no matter what club they are from

Thanks for your input, boro.

The thing is, as I said, I've approached 20+. Few from small Mexican clubs, few from Lille SOSC, PSG, Rennes, Sochaux, Girondins de Bordeaux, Dinamo. NONE of them was interested. And I've approached them in the little time window where you can still sign a contract with them behind the back of the mother club.

Had you been able to do it before on FM 14? or only on older ones?

I personally consider it positive that they have reduced the number of clubs that yougnsters are willing to leave home to.

Even if you are 16 and at a small mexican club, you wouldn't want to leave home and move to villa, when you could live safely at home for 2 years and then get a real move, rather than being 16 when any reasonable footballer who knows he is only pretty good will know the move could be a disaster for him.

As for people not leaving psg for you? Come on now, don't be silly.

Try signing one of Annan Athletic's 16 year olds, then compain. (P.s. I can imagine the game might even have them unwilling to move, but we can discuss the rights and wrongs of that bridge when we come to it)

I think the only thing you need to do differently is adjust your approach to a more realistic one (although I realise you say this wasn't how you initially played)

Your problem might be you are trying to approach them before they have signed with the club. Have you tried signing them after they have signed a youth contract with the club they were generated at?

I've never tried to sign youngsters for free before they sign at a club, but as Norwich I had no problem signing youngsters on youth contracts for a fee from anywhere. Well except Germany but that wasn't because they weren't interested it was because a German club would swoop in and sign them instead.

I may be wrong but I thought it was made harder to sign regen youngsters? You aren't able to offer the kids the chance of regular first team football so they decide to continue their development at the club they are generated at. In my mind if I am right it is fantastic as I have never been a fan of cherry picking starlets on regen day. I may be wrong though.

I get the same and I've just won the CL and the club World Cup. Don't know if it's FM ways of protecting clubs to make sure they meet homegrown requirements?

No, it's FM's way of being realistic.

Imagine this: You're a hot prospect at Barcelona, even being hailed the new Messi. Why would you want to leave one of the best teams in the world, and go to a team like Aston Villa?

Face it, the game's just being realistic.

No, it's FM's way of being realistic.

Imagine this: You're a hot prospect at Barcelona, even being hailed the new Messi. Why would you want to leave one of the best teams in the world, and go to a team like Aston Villa?

Face it, the game's just being realistic.

Not exactly the same thing.. what if you're a hot prospect at Alaves in the Liga Adelante, Aston Villa would be a step up reputation wise easily (provided they are in the premier league).

I do think it should be harder to sign some 16 year olds though, especially from reputable clubs. When they turn 18 its hunting season.

Yes it would be a step up in terms of reputation, but it would also mean moving away from home at a very young age, most likely without your family, to a country where you either don't speak the language at all or only know a little bit, to play with a group of youngsters who you don't know and have never played with before.

All things which would in real life be very daunting to a young player, and could very easily have a big impact on the players development if it takes them a year to settle in properly.

I don't even know that it would be a big step up, remember FM's reputation is really regionalized. Villa's national reputaiton will better than alaves, and whilst I appreciate they are in Liga Adelante, villas cross-border reputation would surely be low enough to make the difference in the perception of people in Spain negligble enough not to counter-act all the things you rightly point out.

I don't have any problem with how it is implemented in game

Archived