Nearly every goal conceded is from the first or second shot on target fm 14

This has continued on from fm 13 where i first noticed the problem.

Myself and 2 friends started playing a network game on fm 13 with 3 championship teams blackburn leicester and hull.

I was constantly complaining that i was conceding nearly every game from the first or second shot on target, and i posted about this on an earlier forum just to be shot down that it was all to do with tactics, which i knew at the time was nonsense.

Continuing on to fm 14 with our new network game, i was angered that this issue was exactly the same.

So to prove my point over the past couple of weeks i have went 10 random teams from scotland england spain and italy.

I have played 15 league games with each team, 5 with defensive tactics, 5 with standard tactics and 5 with attacking tactics and took note of the number of first shots on target and second shots conceded.

Firstly i will list the teams Watford Newcastle ST Johnstone Man City Valencia Roma Palermo Real Betis Hibernian and QPR.

It was no surprise to me that using the defensive tactics non pressing with 2 holding midfielders and full backs defensive that 38 games out of 50 i conceded from the first shot on target and 10 from the second which is 48 out of 50 games.

Standard 4-4-2 35 goals conceded the first shot on target and 9 from the second on target is 44 out of 50 games

Attacking 4-2-3-1 had the exact same results as the standard tactics

So a staggering 136 games out of 150 with 10 different teams with 3 different sets of tactics i conceded from the first or second shot on target.

This is far too high and unrealistic and i hope this shows that it is not a tactical issue but a programming one.

This is my biggest gripe with the game, if you are winning week in week out its a slight annoyance but if you have a sticky patch with form it is infuriating because you know you are more or less going to concede every game you play from the first or second on target.

I hope this will be addressed and soon because it is stopping me enjoying the game, so much so that i am considering not playing again until it is sorted.

What highlights are you watching on?

If its key you only get to see goals/close misses so you would expect a high % of first highlights to be a goal.

If its comprehensive thats different and I certainly don't see anything like what you describe. Watching comprehensive and conceding early/first shot/first 15 mins is an indicator that your teamtalks are your problem.

So I guess with each of these teams and different tactics you used to ensured that the squad were familiar with the formation? You had the right players in the right positions playing the right roles?

I am amazed at the lengths some people will go to try and 'prove' there is a programming error or that the ME favours the AI etc etc etc.

Possibly if you had spent the same amount of time working on tactics, understanding your team and your players then you wouldn't find this is an issue. I dare bet you score with plenty of first or second shots on target but you ignore that fact, just concentrate on the perceived problem that isn't really there. Just like deep down I know saving my game and turning off during a good run of results will not affect a great unbeaten run but it doesn't stop me being paranoid that the next time I play I will go on a losing run!

p.s It's your tactics :p

to say its a tactical problem is nonsense. yes if your an attacking team you will gift more chances to the opposition, but does that mean nearly every time they hit the target its a goal???

to think that is stupidity

You still haven't answered if you are basing this off the highlights shown, or a genuine counting of the statistics page whilst watching in full detail.

It can be tactics if one includes familiarity and team-talks in that, you could be going into matches with your team totally complacent or completely unsettled

to say its a tactical problem is nonsense. yes if your an attacking team you will gift more chances to the opposition, but does that mean nearly every time they hit the target its a goal???

to think that is stupidity

Post up the tactics you use. You're the only one mentioning this on the forum, so it certainly doesn't happen to everyone. I've used a range of tactics so far, from defensive counter-attacking, to "standard", to dominating tactics. With none of those do I regularly concede with the first or second on target.

yes if your an attacking team you will gift more chances to the opposition, but does that mean nearly every time they hit the target its a goal???

You shouldn't give up more chances when you're the attacking team. You should give up less chances. If this is not what you're experiencing, you're doing something wrong.

Also, it's not about giving up more or less chances. If you're conceding from the first or second shot on target, you're giving up easy chances.

Wait, is this guy actually trying to insinuate that SI have hard-coded it into the game, that AI teams will always score with their first or second shots on target? :lol:

If nothing else, it certainly shows the FM user base isn't lacking in imagination...

I echo the hilarity in someone trying in vain - and great detail - to find a fault in the game, when spending half that time on a tactic that worked for his team would probably have made him happier, and been more productive.

Colin. When posters say "it's your tactics", (or something similar), what they actually mean is that it is something that you are doing that is within your control, (that might or might not be limited to tactics).

It could involve media interraction in the week leading up to the game.

It could involve your team-talks.

It could involve your team selections.

The question from Cougar2010 is a really good one. If you are watching on key highlights for example, then it would be quite reasonable for the first highlight to often result in a goal.

Without knowing more about how you play your game, it's pretty hard for any of us to tell you exactly what the problem is. The reality is that we don't know at this stage and are simply guessing.

If there was a problem/bug with the game in this area, then I would be encountering it too. So would Cougar2010, Kris0710.

I can honestly sympathise that this is frustrating you, but i am pretty confident that if you disect what you are doing, then we can easily find the root of the problem, (although I suspect that if you are watching on key highlights then that might be the issue itself. (There will have been other shots before the opening goal, they were just not deemed to be a key highlight).

1. Have a look at the stats and see how many shots have been made by the time the 1st goal us scored.

2. Maybe experiment with watching games on extended or even comprehensive. I promise that it will give you a better view/opinion on how the game is going.

I promise you the guys in this thread can help you.

I have to sympathise with the op

This is the 4th time THIS has happened to me this season :(

Certainly makes you wonder what you could be doing wrong TACTICALLY?

Are you happy tactically then? You were beaten on possession, the pass completion and tackles won % is average at best. The there is the issue with your frontline, one effort on target from six isn't great.

What was the full time score just out of interest?

To the people who think I'm going out of my way to find fault with the game I won't even waste my breath. I'm finding a problem with no solution. To the constructive people. I'm using only commentary with goal replays. I have the stats on screen that tell you shots on target off target possession etc.

I can dominate games be up 5-0 thet have 3 shots the full game but if the first shot on target from the opposition hits the target 9 times out of 10 it's a goal. The stats on screen tell me this it's not something I'm viewing

Colin. If you think it's a bug then you are in the wrong place.

If you just want to have a whinge and a moan, then I guess that's fine. We all need to let off a bit of steam. (That's what you are here for right?)

If you want ideas as to how to workaround the issues you are encountering, (I don't think you do), then you probably need to provide more evidence.

Good luck.

[Edit]

Just listening to the Bayern Utd game and each team has scored with their 1st shot on target. :p

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately they will just shoot you down for stating these things. I for one can't comprehend why ai teams score from their first or/and second shots on target; just because you have a certain tactic in use it should never prevent goalkeepers from making saves. I rarely see it happen in real life and considering my players are of better quality I can't understand how they usually end up with a greater shots to goal ratio then my teams at the end of the match.

Unfortunately they will just shoot you down for stating these things. I for one can't comprehend why ai teams score from their first or/and second shots on target; just because you have a certain tactic in use it should never prevent goalkeepers from making saves. I rarely see it happen in real life and considering my players are of better quality I can't understand how they usually end up with a greater shots to goal ratio then my teams at the end of the match.

It really is very simple, they have better tactics!

The ME is the same for everyone and doesn't know or care if a team is AI or human controlled. If the AI teams are getting a better goal to shot ratio than you are its down to tactics and they are simply better at them than you are.

They can also end up with a better shots to goals ratio because you're the dominant team vs a very defensive team. If you're too vulnerable on the counter, you're going to give them easy chances.

We had a thread on the "unfairness" of AI conversion rates a couple of years ago. After extensive discussions with the user complaining and a properly researched test, we found that the user in question was converting his chances at a far better rate than the AI and his complaint was completely unfounded.

I would imagine this will be exactly the same. 100% perception bias. 0% bug.

As such, and given the unneeded 2 month bump, closed.

Archived