How come the players I assign opposition tactics to always the ones that score?

I am playing my second season as manager of York City in Sky Bet 2 League. I am new to the game and wanted to start with a small club and work myself up.

I am wondering why the opposing key players that I mark for tight marking, Closing Down, Tackling, and opposite footing are the one who ALWAYS score? and my defenders never seem to know where they are except when their celebrating goals.

Actually my team isn't that bad. Mid table finish for a looking forward to relegation club, Now trying to make playoffs this season even though I cut salary using younger players.

Is it just that my defenders are worthless? Eventhough I supposedly have the best tackling team in the league. I play with 4-4-2 and 4-4-3 with Fullbacks on the wings of defense.

just wondering? otherwise this is a great game.......wish I knew more about soccer.

The correlation here should be pretty clear.

The players that you deliberately choose for special treatment are the best players, and by extension, the greatest goal scoring threat.

The players who score are also the best players and, by extension, the greatest goalscoring threat.

Just because you 'specifically marked' them does not make them any less talented.

For example, you could set instructions to always tightly mark Messi, but he would probably still score.

Also not all instructions are useful for all players. 'Always' closing down an agile player with good dribbling will probably lead to your defenders being shown up by a good touch.

Archived