[FM 13] From the Bottom - Unemployed [Vids]

Cardinal Smith

Cardinal Smith's Unemployed FM13 Career

YtvTvqg.jpg

Welcome to the beggining of my first Football Manager career to be captured on video!

Throughout the coming weeks I'll post updated videos, but for now, I'm unemployed with an Automatic reputation and the following leagues loaded:

• Northern Ireland (To Championship 2)
  • England (To Conference North/South)
  • Italy (To Serie C1/2)

The only aim of the career is to be a success, no editing allowed. I may move clubs in a Journeyman style, or I may become engrossed in one project :D

Either way, I'll be using Classic Mode for speed, each video will feature a 'latest News' update, before playing a match for some drama!

All feedback is welcome and I'll be posting updates on Twitter as well @Cardinal_Smith_

sSFVTcq.jpg

So the Mighty Banbridge Town FC must go marching on - joining halfway through the season isn't ideal but I can still bring players in on free as long as they'll come, and as long as they don't want any wages :rolleyes:

On top of that, the board wants top spot, which I really hope I'm going to be judged on come the end of the season as from this position, it's going to be TOUGH.

The one saving grace, although I enjoy them, is that we are out of every cup thanks to the previous management...

Updates on Twitter as well @Cardinal_Smith_

sSFVTcq.jpg

It's not quite the steamroller across the league that I may have expected given that this team was only relegated to this division last season, but working on the morale and finding a tactical and team balance seem to be the must win battles.

I've been switching between 4-4-2 with Attacking midfielders, to 3-1-2-3, which have both been inconsistent.

For this video I'm hoping we can start to pull together a run of good form and close the gap on the top.

sSFVTcq.jpg

Well the board are LESS than impressed with not winning the league, not that I ever had a chance but i'll not make excuses as we could have been more consistent.

I've kept one eye on any other jobs going or insecure positions, but I'd really like to stay at Banbridge Town for next season. The chance to build and sign my own team will give us the opportunity to genuinely push for the title, but we'll have to see what the board say.

I also seem to be getting a reputation for tinkering those tactics, using my 3rd in this short time - Season 1 comes to a close!

sSFVTcq.jpg

Season 1:

Team: Banbridge Town

League: N.Ireland Championship 2

Board Expectation: 1st

Final Position: 7th

Record: 13W, 6D, 11L - 37F, 34A, +3 - 45pts

Finances: -£9,000

Transfer Budget: £0

Wage Budget: £70pw

Wages Used: £90pw

This episode I review the summer dealings, the in's and the out's. I've tried to cut the wage budget as the lack of money at this level means I can't afford to be spending anything.

The transfer targets needs to be a new winger, striker and most of all a left back who can tackle :lol:

sSFVTcq.jpg

Start of Season 2

League: N.Ireland Championship 2

Board Expectation: 1st

Media Expectation: 2nd

Estimated Value: £67.24

Finances: -£6,000

Wage Budget: £21pw

Wages Used: £21pw

The building has continued, the pre-season friendlies have gone well and I've been focusing training on fitness until the first competitive game.

The board has set their expectations to the highest they can go, only becoming champions will do. I've tried to add extra pace upfront, pace on the right wing and a decent left back who can at least tackle.

I've also settled on a flat 4-4-2 with a Deep lying playmaker and a supporting central midfielder in the middle of the park, an advanced forward and poacher up front.

sSFVTcq.jpg

Start of Season 2

With a strong start the season and morale high amongst the players it's straight in to the cups, of which there are 4 to compete in :eek:

Intermediate Cup

League Cup

Mid Ulster Cup

Irish Cup

In this episode Banbridge play higher level Championship 1 leaders Tobermore Utd, in the League Cup. We're definitely the underdogs in this one!

sSFVTcq.jpg

We're on an unbeaten run in the league so far as I try to meet the boards demands, and this video I play the media's title favourites Ballyclare. They're a bigger club that's for sure and we lost 3-0 to them last season.

Whatever the result it's still early days but every game counts, only 30 league games in a season here!

sSFVTcq.jpg

We carry the early season good form in to cup season, looking for a win against PSNI in the Intermediate Cup 2nd round.

Recent results include:

2-2 Draw with Portstewart (Championship 2)

4-2 Win at Dergview (Championship 2)

3-2 Win against Dundela (League Cup 3rd Round)

4-1 Win against non-league Rosario (Intermediate Cup 1st Round)

1-1 Draw with Brantwood (Championship 2)

2-0 Win against Queens University (Championship 2)

Despite this great run, we're still being run close in the league, perhaps not helped by the draws but also the fixtures becoming congested with cups. One bad result in these cups could send morale and form diving however so I'm trying to play as strong a team as possible in each game.

I am also encouraged to do this as I have very few players in the reserves/youth squad good enough even for this low level.

sSFVTcq.jpg

In this two-game video the team take on Premier Division Coleraine in the League Cup Qtr Final, followed quickly by a league game against Lurgan Celtic.

While I like the cups, the sheer number of them in N.Ireland really blocks out the calendar, and some only let me use 3 subs :eek:

We're still, importantly, in the run for the league though which is the boards focus. We were however knocked out the Irish Cup in the 2nd round by non-league Comber rec. I played a few reserves who complained about a lack of game time and guess what, they'll be seeing the exit door in January before they see another first team game at Banbridge.

sSFVTcq.jpg

Well the form didn't keep up! We're 2nd in the league but given how far we were pulling ahead it says a lot. Two defeats in our last 3 games is a bad sign especially as we're in the middle of the transfer window and clubs are offering contracts to Banbridge players, i'm constantly re-offering new contracts just to keep the team intact.

4-3 Win against Fivemiletown (Intermediate Cup 3rd Rnd)

1-3 defeat to Armagh (Championship 2)

2-3 defeat to Lower Maze (Championship 2) <-- We were 2-0 up in the 89th minute!!

3-1 Win against Wakehurst (Championship 2)

This video includes a league game at home to Sport & Leisure Swifts, a game we really should be winning if I'm to take home the title - Queens University are looking like they will run us very close.

sSFVTcq.jpg

Things are starting to pick up, or at least it feels that way. We've played 7 games since the last episode and won 4, drawn 3 and not lost!

The eagle eyed board member however would point out that 3 of those 4 wins were in cup games, and all 3 draws were in the league, meaning we've dropped 6 points. Here's a breakdown of the games:

1-1 Draw with Annagh Utd (Championship 2)

2-1 Win against Annagh Utd (Mid Ulster Cup Qtr Final)

2-1 Win against Crewe Utd (Intermediate Cup 4th Rnd)

2-2 Draw against Dundela (Championship 2)

3-2 Win against Ballymoney Utd (Championship 2)

3-3 Draw against Ballyclare (Championship 2)

3-1 Win against Lower Maze (Intermediate Cup Qtr Final)

While i've pleased to be in two semi-finals, we're totaly incapable of keeping a clean sheet and it's costing us in the league and as a result we're 2nd with Queens Uni taking the lead at this stage, about 2 thirds of the way through.

sSFVTcq.jpg

Vs

3XT8r5D.jpg

RNoL5WG.jpg

We've made it through to our 2nd cup final of the season in the Intermediate Cup. This cup doesn't include Premier Division teams so it's realistically our best chance of silverware outside of the league. The opponents are fellow Championship 2 side Lurgan Celtic, who are 6th in the league, so we're the favourites however you all know this doesn't mean they're going to be a walk over!

We recently made it to the Final of the Mid Ulster Cup final as well but played Premier Division (and 2nd place there) Portadown, who were an organised, fit, team who disapointingly dominated the game and strolled to an easy 3-0 victory. This was disappointing but to be expected, the worst part of this was the knock to morale which has stunted our attempts to get consistency and form back in to our league run!

Here's the latest few games before the Int. Cup Final:

2-1 Win against Killymoon (Championship 2)

4-1 Win against Lower Maze (Mid Ulster Cup Semi-Final)

1-2 Defeat to Portstewart (Championship 2)

1-0 Win against Dergview (Championship 2)

4-3 (extra time) Win against Bangor (Intermediate Cup Semi-Final)

3-1 Win against Brantwood (Championship 2)

3-2 Win against Queens University (Championship 2)

0-3 Defeat to Portadown (Mid Ulster Cup Final)

3-2 Win against Lurgan Celtic (Championship 2)

1-2 Defeat against Glebe (Championship 2)

6-3 Win against Lower Maze (Championship 2)

sSFVTcq.jpg

It's time for the last few league games and the race for the title!

Morale amongst the squad is as much an issue as fitness and my team need a full week to recover from each game.

There's 3 league games left and we're 5 points clear but:

0-1 Defeat to Armagh (Championship2)

Ok so there's 2 league games left and we're 2 points clear :D

The next game is at home to Wakehurst who are 3rd, 4 points behind and need to win to have a chance of promotion (Queens are 2nd).

The last game is an away trip to lowly Sport & Leisure Swifts, So the team have it all to do if we're to Win the title, or even promotion (2 spots).

sSFVTcq.jpg

Season 3 time and it's in the higher level (Spoiler :p )

The summer has been really quiet, I didn't want to lose any momentum in the team by raining the changes so I've only made two signings:

In:

Ryan Newberry - MC with decent passing, tackling & workrate stats

Lee Rushe - DC, walks straight in to the first team. This guy (Stats in the video) doesn't have great technical stats but he's pacey for the league, with good mental stats to, should make a big difference in our leaky defence!

Out:

Darren Andrews

Ryan O'Hare

Both youngsters (newgens) who had promising futures, but they wanted part time contracts and despite being a semi-professional club we still can't offer paid contracts. It's limiting the teams progress, I have to offer new non-contracts to my key players all the time just to keep them! I heard SI does this with some clubs to replicate real life actions of the clubs but we've made progress and the grown in stature, with a strong, young squad but no idea or transparency on if i'll ever get to hold a player to a contract!

(rant over)

League: N.Ireland Championship 1 (C2 Last year)

Board Expectation: Stay clear of relegation

Media Expectation: 12th (of 14 - 2 relegation spots)

Estimated Value: £67.24

Finances: -£4,000

Wage Budget: £1,621pw (what??)

Wages Used: £6pw

Huge wage budget, but I can't use any of it, still 25 season ticket holders, but importantly I have a personal aim of mid-table this year to upset the league!

After a topsy turvey preseason (2 Wins, 3 Defeats) I start Banbridge's return to C1 in the video below against Limavady Utd - hope you enjoy and like if you like it :)

sSFVTcq.jpg

Our return to Championship 1 is going fairly well! We're not challenging the top but we're looking too strong to be relegation candidates which is pleasing the board for now!

In transfer news, we've lost our main man, Striker Mark Kelly has accepted a contract of £0pw at Premier Division Crusaders.

I immediately went to my scout for a striker and he recommended 23 year old Aaron McKinney, a fairly pacey, tall, finishing, heading striker :)

However he came with a £24,000 compensation charge - Luckily I had been given a ridiculously high wage budget and adjusted that to cover the cost (I can't offer paid contracts!)

2-3 Defeat against Tobermore Utd (Championship 1)

3-2 Win against PSNI (Championship 1)

5-4 Win against Bangor :eek: (Championship 1)

1-0e Win against Coleraine (League Cup 2nd Round)

3-1 Win against Newry (Championship 1)

So a good run of form leaves us 3rd in the league and 5 points off the lead, it's worth noting that this division only has 26 league games, 1 automatic promotion spot, but 2nd place goes in to a playoff against a premier division team! Not an easy league to get out of by no means, and the players will need to be consistent to have a chance. What I would say is that this form is encouraging for a Banbridge Town side that's aim is to avoid relegation!

In this video I run through the updates and goal scorers, and play an away league game against Coagh Utd.

sSFVTcq.jpg

A 3rd of the way through the season sees Banbridge Town surprisingly in 3rd position! It's not the same feeling of faltering, inconsistent but dominant football we enjoyed in the lower division last season, but there's quality in the side and we're upsetting a few teams along the way.

Our recent few results were:

4-1 Win against Knockbreda (Championship 1)

4-2e Win against Dungannon Swifts (League Cup 3rd Round)

A good win in the league was followed by a surprise win against leading Championship 1 side Dungannon, hard fought albeit though. In the next league game we meet the very same team, but at home in crystal park, sunny Banbridge :) It's a big game if we're to catch them but the squad gave it all in the league cup and have earned themselves a huge Quarter final against dominant Linfield (on their ground too, perhaps some money coming our way?).

I'm trying background music out with the videos but i'll definitely be taking it off!

sSFVTcq.jpg

This crazy situation of being a Semi-Professional club, but not being able to offer a Part Time contract is causing my team to bleed players, luckily I can still offer Non-contracts with appearance fee bonuses to attract some players.

Our form has definitely picked up however and we're 3rd in the league, but league games are few and far between now as the several cups start up.

2-1 Win against Lurgan Celtic (Intermediate Cup 1st Rnd)

3-0 Win against Ballinamallard Utd (Championship 1)

3-1 Win against Queens University (Championship 1)

2-1 Win against Donegal Reserves (Intermediate Cup 2nd Rnd)

4-3 Win against Lurgan Celtic (Mid Ulster Cup 1st Rnd)

3-3 Draw against H & W Welders (Championship 1)

1-2 Defeat against Linfield (League Cup Qtr Final)

This is my 3rd season at Banbridge Town and I would consider a move if a great opportunity popped up, but my reputation is incredibly low. Winning the Championship 2 has not done a lot, but has helped the club of course, but I've got to go after some of these cups!

sSFVTcq.jpg

2nd in the league after 21 games (out of 26) isn't too shabby, although we're 6 points behind the league leaders Dungannon. They're huge favourites to win and are used to Premier League competition! But we'll keep marching forward as best we can :)

2-0 Win against Shorts (Irish Cup 3rd Rnd)

3-3 Draw against Loughgall (Championship 1)

4-2 Win against Limavady Utd (Championship 1)

We're still in contention in the cups too, still in the Irish Cup (No chance), the Mid Ulster Cup (hmm, outside chance) and the Intermdiate Cup (Our best chance for a trophy!) too!

• 2 weeks later...

sSFVTcq.jpg

Well it looks like the highest we can hope for this season is 2nd place, but it's going to be tight! Dungannon lead with 41 points, we're on 33, with Queens (32), Institue (31) and Knockbreda (30) all right behind.

The Cups are congesting the current fixture list, but i'm prioritising the league for now, it would be a shame to slip up and finish mid table!

0-2 Loss against Tobermore Utd (Championship 1)

1-0 Win against PSNI (Championship 1)

3-2 Win against U.U.J (Irish Cup 4th Rnd)

2-2 Draw with Newry (Championship 1)

3-1 Win against Annagh Utd (Mid Ulster Cup Qtr Final)

4-0 Win against Bangor (Championship 1)

3-2 Win against Intermediate Cup 4th Rnd)

A mixed bag of results, 4 league games, 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss. Reaching the 5th round of the Irish cup is pretty big for this club, it's the only competition that gives out some real prize money, and draws in crowds! I'm hoping to draw one of the Premier Division teams next round to share the gate reciepts.

sSFVTcq.jpg

So with our new youth intake giving us Stevie Healy, who overs great pace and cover for the right wing, along with Ben Arlow will be a back up Centre Defender for now - we're gaining some good squad depth!

That depth is helping our league campaign as we're now just 5 points off the top in 2nd, with Queens 2 points back in 3rd. But it's the cups that have given the fans some great entertainment this month, with a great run in 3 different cups. Reaching the Irish Cup 5th round against Linfield was a highlight as we took them to a replay. That was huge for our finances and gave us around £16,000, lowering our debt to around (£10,000).

2-2 Draw with Linfield (Irish Cup 5th Rnd)

3-4 Loss to Linfield (Irish Cup 5th Rnd Replay)

2-1 Win against Wellington Rec (Intermediate Cup Qtr Final)

2-1 Win Against Knockbreda (Championship 1)

3-0 Win against Loughgall (Mid Ulster Cup Semi Final)

2-4 Loss to Ballinamallard Utd (Championship 1)

1-0 Win against Dungannon (Championship 1)

1-1 Draw with Queens Uni (Championship 1)

0-2 Loss against Loughgall (Intermediate Cup Semi Final)

Some key wins against league leaders Dungannon and Knockbreda, but easy poinst dropped against Ballinamallard.

In this video we play H & W Welders in the first of the last 3 league games!

So a win here could see us close to 2 points off the top, with 2 games remaining, come on!!

Archived