[FM14] Going Home (Local Hero)

Northernpilgrim

This is my latest, and hopefully last, attempt at building a career on FM14.

I am going to start with the team I support, Plymouth Argyle, and try and take them back to the Championship, before moving on to another challenge. I am not going to set any rules at all in this save, as I just want it to be as much fun as possible, so I will stay with Argyle either until the aim of Championship football has been achieved, or until I am sacked, or I feel that I have taken them as far as I can. You get the picture, I'm not constraining myself at all.

So, by way of explanation, the title comes from a Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) piece of music that was the theme to the film 'Local Hero'.

Here it is for anyone who wants to hear it:

[video=youtube_share;ow5IdjNItc0]

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the last 3 matches, as I wasn't happy with how we were playing, I decided to try something radically different, so went for a W-M formation, with basically no-one in the CM positions, and as you can see from the above results, it worked, but I'm not sure why?

WMFormation_zps2f44f6b9.png

WMShouts_zpsd299540e.png

The only change I make is switching between Control for home games and Counter away from home.

March results were decent enough

March2014_zps1f37ad34.png

Leaving us still in the promotion picture

March2014table_zps0a1d15ab.png

Although the zany formation has gone, as (confession time), Exeter ripped it apart, so I reloaded, and have gone to a downloaded 4-5-1 formation. At this stage of the season, I just need to get us over the line. I can't quite believe we're not even close to guaranteeing a play-off spot yet, despite having a points total that normally gets you there or thereabouts, with 6 games still to go.

I know some may view that as cheating, but for me this save is about getting to grips with easily the most challenging FM yet, and if I need to replay a game because my formation didn't work, I can live with that.

I know some may view that as cheating, but for me this save is about getting to grips with easily the most challenging FM yet, and if I need to replay a game because my formation didn't work, I can live with that.

Well, your game, your choice but perhaps it would be a little less controversial against another side (not just as your rivals but also from a personal perspective as Exeter was my old uni) and with the promotion race not so finely balanced, even it it looks like you'd probably have deserved it anyway.

Well, your game, your choice but perhaps it would be a little less controversial against another side (not just as your rivals but also from a personal perspective as Exeter was my old uni) and with the promotion race not so finely balanced, even it it looks like you'd probably have deserved it anyway.

If I'd posted the score we actually got that day, you'd understand!

I don't expect to do much business over the summer, but Max Blanchard has already decided to leave on a free after rejecting a new contract, and Jake Cole has requested a transfer, so they will both need replacing, and I'm hoping to secure Reuben Reid on a free transfer (I suspect this is on John Sheridan's agenda too, as his contract is up IRL and on FM14 in the summer. I only hope that the board will give me the room for manoeuvre to secure the players I need, but the finances are pretty awful.

But recent performances have improved, and I think we'll stay in touch with the rest, I don't see us getting cut adrift, unless things take a downturn again. In fact, we came very close to beating Bristol Rovers, conceding a late equaliser, which would have left our league position much healthier if we'd held out.

Although the board are disappointed with how things have gone, and recently called me for a meeting to discuss poor performances, they have offered me a new 3 year deal, which I have accepted. I'm hoping we can bounce straight back next season.

It's all too clear where our deficiencies have been, we've conceded far too many goals to have been competitive this season. Even in the Peterborough game, we led 4-2, but couldn't hold out. There have been far too many occasions like that this season.

Archived