Changing your formation...

How do you all approach a complete change in play?

I was playing one formation, and approach, but to cover a couple of games I swapped to a totally different formation, and so far, I've won every game with it, some with huge numbers. I can't keep it up though, as my midfield is getting exhausted, and I don't have the right squad to rotate, and tbh, the setup has no room for some of my important players, including the team captain.

I can't keep it up though, as my midfield is getting exhausted, and I don't have the right squad to rotate

This I see as a problem.

the setup has no room for some of my important players, including the team captain.

This is not a problem. This is an opportunity... Probabely your important players aren't that important? If they are valuable, sell them and buy the rotation options you're missing.

This I see as a problem.

This is not a problem. This is an opportunity... Probabely your important players aren't that important? If they are valuable, sell them and buy the rotation options you're missing.

Well, they were amongst the better performers in the old setup, with me for 3 years and fan favourites. I'm in the Skrill Prem though, where no one buys any players for any value. Could try and sell them for 0 and use the wages to bring in suitable free agents. One I'd be happy to train at CM, has decent playmaker stats, but at this level it'd probably take too long, as I'll want rid when up the leagues anyway.

I tend to have two or three shapes and I try to have enough players to cover all of them, usually means having several utility players who can fit into two or three positions.

Retraining is a fairly good option at any level IMO to give you more cover.

Any major change in shape I usually plan over an off-season and try to fit as many of my current players into as possible but there are times when some simply have to go.

That's the way I had setup, my standard formations were 4-2-2-2 for home games, and 4-4-2 counter, for away. I just set my third to 5-3-2 for desperate defensive games.

Went ahead and tried it in a few games without playing defensive, and it tore some teams apart, I'm really digging it. I do have a bit of wage to spare, and could bring in 2-3 CM's that'll cover me for it(some look quite better than my current ones), but I'd risk the squad being over bulky.

I have 3 formations, but all somewhat similar. (433, 4231 with 3 AMC and 4231 with wingers). I use to work with 3 very different formations, but decided to abort that decision after some indifferent results.

I have been thinking today about a 4-2-4 because I meant to be working, but would rather think about football manager strategies. I might give it a whirl when I get home.

Archived