[FM14] “In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team”

Cougar2010

Its been a while since I ran a big gameworld but one of the SI staff recently said he ran one with no issues so here we go and we'll see how long it lasts. Hopefully a bit longer than the couple of attempts I made last version.

Game: FM14

Leagues Loaded: All leagues (playable)

Database Size: Small

Start Date: February 2014 (Latest Possible)

Starting Team: Unemployed

Aim: No fixed plan but I will try to manage in countries I haven't in previous versions.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Career Summary

2013/14 (Started March 2014)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong) - Hong Kong First Division (10th), FA Cup (Quarter Finals)

2014/15

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong) - Hong Kong First Division (5th), Senior Challenge Shield (Quarter Finals), League Cup (Main Stage Semi Finals), FA Cup (Semi Finals)

2015/16

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong) - Hong Kong First Division (Champions), Senior Challenge Shield (Winners), League Cup (Runners-up), FA Cup (Winners)

2016/17

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong) - Hong Kong First Division (5th), Senior Challenge Shield (Runners-up), League Cup (Main Stage 1st Round), FA Cup (Winners)

2017/18

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong) - Asian Confederation Cup (Runners-up), Senior Challenge Shield (1st Round) ***Left Dec 2017 to join Cliftonville*** (Yokohama FC (HK) were 2nd in the league and in the semi finals of the League Cup)

Cliftonville (Northern Ireland) - Danske Bank Premiership (4th), All-Ireland Cup (Runners-up), Northern Irish Cup (Quarter Finals)

2018/19

Cliftonville (Northern Ireland) - Danske Bank Premiership (Champions), All-Ireland Cup (Semi Finals), Northern Irish Cup (Winners), Northern Irish League Cup (Winners), Northern Irish County Antrim Shield (Semi Finals)

2019/20

Cliftonville (Northern Ireland) - Northern Irish County Antrim Shield (Runners-up) ***Left December 2019 to join East Fife*** (Cliftonville were 3rd in the league)

East Fife (Scotland) - Scottish Championship (5th)

2020/21

East Fife (Scotland) - Scottish Championship (8th), Scottish Cup (3rd Round), Scottish League Cup (Winners), Scottish League Challenge Cup (Quarter Finals)

2021/22

Stevenage (England) -

Applications sent, many interviews attended and eventually after a couple of months two offers arrive on the table:

1KitcheeOffer.png

2YokohamaOffer.png

Both teams are from Hong Kong and both compete in the top league in the country but there are significant differences between the clubs. Kitchee Sports Club are one of the most successful teams in Hong Kong with a string of trophies to their name including the league title in 2011 & 2012. On the flipside Yokohama FC (HK) are a relatively new club who were taken over by Japanese team Yokohama FC two years ago and act as their feeder club in Hong Kong.

Its a choice between an under-performing team (7th in league) who expect national success and a continental adventure with ok finances or a relegation battle with a club who have lower expectations and secure finances.

It seems appropriate to start a new career with a new club.

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

(Started 18.03.14, contract £1,900 a month until June 2015)

3YokoBadge.png

Background

The team started as Fourway Athletics in 2008 before merging with Hong Kong Rangers in 2009. Japanese team Yokohama FC took over their league membership in 2012 splitting them from Rangers and setting them up as their feeder club in Hong Kong rebranded as Yokohama FC (HK).

35YokoBackground.png

Stadium

Tseung Kwan O Sports Ground 3,500 capacity all-seater (Rented)

4YokoStadium.png

Affiliated Clubs

Parent Club – Yokohama FC (Japan), First Option.

Finances

With around £700k in the bank and no loans the club seems to be in a healthy position at this stage. The wage budget of £38k a month only just covers the current wage bill while the board will allow me a transfer budget of £21k.

Staff

The club have a head of youth, a coach, a physio & a scout whilst former Hong Kong international Law Chun Bong combines assistant manager duties with his squad role on the left wing.

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Competitions

Last season Yokohama finished 9th in the First Division (12 teams) and this season the media expected them to do slightly better (7th) but they are once again embroiled in a relegation battle currently sitting 11th with five matches to go.

In the Senior Challenge Shield they were knocked out in the first round whilst in the FA Cup they've received a bye through to the quarter finals.

The board have decided not to judge me on any results from this season but as ever relegation is not an option.

5LeagueTable.png

The Squad

There are 51 players contracted to the club spread between the first team, reserves & U18s but the size of the task ahead is clear with many lacking the skill to play at this level.

Most of the squad are from Hong Kong but the club is allowed five foreign players and its no surprise to find these are the better players or that several are Japanese given our links. 33yo DM Shintaro Harada, 32yo AMRC Tsuyoshi Yoshitake & 36yo ST Kenji Fukuda are joined by 22yo Korean DC Park Tae-Hong.

Hong Kong international Au Yeung Yiu Chung (24yo AMCR) is the pick of the home players while Liang Zicheng (32yo Chinese/HK ST) & Lau Cheuk Hin (21yo AMC) also play an important role in the team.

With the squad reviewed its obvious the squad lacks depth but I feel we can put out a decent central core. The main concerns are at fullback & in goal where we are severely lacking in quality of any sort.

With this in mind three at the back seems the natural option but with some of the DCs able to play DL or DR I could still field my preferred back four.

6Harada.png

8Fukuda.png

7Yoshitake.png

9Park.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

March/April/May 2014

My first match in charge is a huge six pointer at home to the team below us in the league. My only injury problem is Korean DC, Park Tae-Hong who hasn't quite recovered from a groin strain.

Sunday 30th March 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (18/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (11th) 2-1 Sun Hei (12th)

Goals: Fukuda (10), Au Yeung Yiu Chung (90) ; Yrel (59)

MOTM: Au Yeung Yiu Chung (7.6)

Attendance: 383

Formations are being trained but as this is a massive game for the club I stick with the 442 that they are more familiar with. 17yo youth player Law Ka Long starts in goal after a solid performance midweek for the U18s while two DCs are at fullback. Fukuda shows his experience turning & calmly slotting in to settle any early nerves while Yoshitake runs the game from midfield as we dominate possession. Sun Hei are poor but with a Brazilian & an Ivorian up front they always have a chance and its the big African who heads them level from a corner. With both sides seemingly settling for a point Au Yeung finds himself free at the near post to head in a corner of our own with virtually the last touch of the match to secure a huge win.

Match Injury: Leung Nok Hang (DC) – Out for two weeks with a bruised rib.

Staff News: Two decent scouts join the club (Yau Kam Chuen & Lau Chun Yin, both from Hong Kong) while the rubbish one that was here agrees to a mutual termination.

Player News: Tsoyoshi Yoshitake (AMCR) – Our star midfielder is named in the “Team of the Month”

Training Injury: Law Ka Long (GK) – Out for two weeks with concussion.

Saturday 5th April 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (19/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (10th) 1-2 South China (3rd)

Goals: Fukuda (12) ; Naves (59), Murai (og 78)

MOTM: Ko Kyung-Joon (8.0) (South China)

Milestone: Li Hang Wui - 150th Career League Appearance

Attendance: 537

I stick with the 442 that worked well last week but we have two changes. In defence Park is back to replace the injured Leung Nok Hang while our fifth foreigner returns between the sticks, 21yo Taiki Murai aka “Butter fingers”. I'm expecting a much tougher game than last week and thats what we get with the match turning into a midfield battle. Fukuda breaks the deadlock early with a rocket from outside the box and we hold on until the second half when a corner is headed back across goal for Naves to nod in. South China push for the winner and it comes when a long shot rebounds off the bar, hitting Murai.

Training Injury: Kenji Fukuda (ST) – Out for three weeks with a virus.

Player News: Tsotoshi Yoshitake (AMCR) – Named in the five man shortlist for the “Hong Kong Footballer of the Year”

Staff News: Wong Chun Fai (41yo Hong Kong) joins us as a coach.

Sunday 13th April 2014 – Hong Kong FA Cup (Quarter-Final)

Yokohama FC (HK) (First Division) 2-3 Sun Pegasus (First Division) (Neutral ground)

Goals: Wong Wai (20 & 71) ; Mbome (16), Rascic (50), Park (og 56)

MOTM: Wong Wei (8.8)

Attendance: 1,399

A FA Cup quarter-final tie against the runaway league leaders gives me a chance to rotate the squad to look at other options. The fringe players give a good account of themselves as they push Sun Pegasus all the way but in the end they have a bit too much quality for us. 21yo ST, Wong Wei stands out as he stakes a claim for a starting place calmly bagging a brace.

Saturday 19th April 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (20/22)

Yuen Long (11th) 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (10th)

Goals: Sandro (9) ; Wong Wei (25)

MOTM: Wong Wei (8.3)

Attendance: 950

With our last two matches at home to teams towards the top this is another massive six pointer with losing not an option if we want to survive. Wong Wei's good performance in the cup means he keeps his place up front with Fukuda out while 17yo Law Ka Long returns in goal. An early goal from the edge of the box gives Yuen Long the lead before Wong Wei fires us level from distance. We edge the rest of the match but with neither side able to carve out good chances both teams have to settle for a point.

Tuesday 22nd April 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (21/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (10th) 2-1 Sun Pegasus (1st)

Goals: Yoshitake (43), Fong Pak Lun (85) ; Ju Yingzhi (44)

MOTM: Fong Pak Lun (8.3)

Attendance: 388

Two matches to go and with Sun Hei picking up a win at the weekend it means we are three points ahead of Yuen Long & a point ahead of Sun Hei. An even first half swings our way when Yoshitake heads in a corner at the near post but Sun Pegasus are soon level when Law Ka Long can't get enough distance on his punch. We ride our luck in the second half as we look to secure a point but Fong Pak Lun has other ideas dancing past two defenders and blasting in late on to claim the points.

Training Injury: Au Yeung Yiu Chung (AMCR) – Out for 10 days with flu.

Player News: Tsoyoshi Yoshitake (AMCR) – For the second month in a row he is named in the “Team of the Month”

Player News: I'd already cleared out a couple of reserve players through mutual termination when our parent club come knocking:

Kenji Fukuda (36yo Japanese ST) – Sold to Yokohama FC for £0.

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 2 seasons, Appearances: 26, Goals: 9

I'm never happy to sell my better players, especially for nothing, but Kenji is 36yo, on a high wage and keen to return to Japan so with safety secured I decide its a good time to start rebuilding the team.

Saturday 10th May 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (22/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (10th) 0-2 Kitchee Sports Club (4th)

Goals: Rehman (2), Huang Yang (pen 28)

MOTM: Zesh Rehman (8.2) (Kitchee)

Attendance: 475

With nothing to play for I decide its a good time to look at another formation and some of the fringe players. An early goal sees Kitchee in control and they are happy to sit back, playing on the break. A controversial penalty doubles their lead and despite our possession Kitchee are well in control calmly seeing out the match.

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

2013/14 Season Review

Hong Kong First Division

Sun Pegasus wrapped up the title for the first time but after having a runaway lead South China & Citizen pushed them all the way. Down at the bottom Yuen Long were expected to struggle and that proved to be the case as Sun Hei survived by the skin of their teeth.

Although the board weren't judging me this season they are happy we didn't get relegated but our 10th place finish was lower than last season's 9th and the media prediction of 7th.

10League2014.png

Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield

Sun Hei had a good run to the semi finals & Southern District to the final but it was Citizen who lifted the trophy for the second time. Yokohama went out to the eventual champions in the first round before I took over.

11Shield2014.png

Hong Kong FA Cup

Three of the four Shield semi finalists (South China, Citizen & Southern District) again made the semis but it was Sun Pegasus who went all the way to lift the FA Cup for the second time.

We got a bye through the first round before again being knocked out by the eventual champions. The board weren't too bothered though as they don't regard the FA Cup as important.

12FACup2014.png

Awards

Hong Kong Footballer of the Year: Stefan (25yo Brazilian ST) (Citizen)

Hong Kong Fans Player of the Year: Jordi Tarres (33yo Spanish AMR) (Kitchee)

Hong Kong First Division Top Goalscorer:

1st Admir Rascic (32yo Bosnian ST) (Sun Pegasus) – 17 goals in 22 apps

2nd Stefan (25yo Brazilian ST) (Citizen) – 13 goals in 22 apps

3rd Detinho (40yo Brazilian ST) (Citizen) – 10 goals in 16 apps

Hong Kong Young Player of the Year:

1st Lam Hok Hei (23yo Hong Kong AMR) (Rangers HKG)

2nd Che Runqiu (23yo Hong Kong DL) (Southern District)

Hong Kong Manager of the Year: Chan Chi Hong (Sun Pegasus)

Hong Kong First Division Fair Play Award: Tuen Mun

Hong Kong First Division Team of the Year

Our Japanese AMRC, Tsuyoshi Yoshitake was named amongst the substitutes.

Yokohama FC (HK) Fans' Player of the Year: Tsoyoshi Yoshitake

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Off-Season Report

INTERNATIONAL NEWS

Five of our team got called up to the Hong Kong U22 squad for the 2015 Asian U22 Nations Cup Qualifying.

Law Ka Long (18yo GK) – 1 app

Leung Nok Hang (19yo DC) – 1 (2) apps

Chan Chun Lok (18yo MC) – 3 apps

Lee Ka Ho (21yo AMR) – 2 (1) apps

Wong Wei (21yo ST) – 2 (1) apps, 1 assist

and when injuries strike part way through two more of our team get the call:

Leung Kwun Chung (22yo DC) – 1 app

Lau Cheuk Hin (22yo AMC) – 2 apps

A solid campaign saw the Hong Kong U22 team qualify for the 2015 Asian U22 Nations Cup next summer in India.

14U22AsianNationsCupQual2015.png

FINANCES

Last seasons financial statements don't make good reading as the club lost £103k but as I wasn't here its difficult to tell if I need to be concerned. As the season starts there is just under £600k in the bank so at least we shouldn't have any major issues this season.

With no plans to spend the transfer budget I moved it all into the wage budget which gave me £41.5k a month to work with. With the season getting underway I'm slightly over that at £43k a month.

Looking at the rest of the league we seem to be one of the most secure clubs along with Happy Valley although none seem to have any major financial issues. We were 11th last season in terms of turnover and we sit 6th in terms of value so we should have the financial ability to compete in this league.

PLAYER NEWS – OUTGOING

Eight reserve/youth players were released at the end of their contracts as I looked to thin the squad.

There was a bit of interest from a few Chinese clubs in Liang Zicheng (32yo Chinese/Hong Kong ST) but as he was happy to stay in Hong Kong so I had no trouble rejecting the bids.

Sacrifices had to be made though to keep the wage bill down as new signings arrived and we had an abundance of DCs:

Li Hang Wui (29yo Hong Kong DC/DR) – Sold to Eastern for £0

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 1 season, Appearances: 21 (1), Goals: 1, Assists: 3

Although Li made a decent stopper we have too many DCs so it made sense to let him move on when the offer came in.

PLAYER NEWS – INCOMING

Despite my scouts working hard there wasn't a huge amount of choice especially amongst those with a Hong Kong nationality. My first signing was a player that the previous manager had released in January:

Lam Ngai Tong (24yo Hong Kong DM/DR) - Unattached

Started his career at Hong Kong amateur side, Fu Moon before moving to Sham Shui Po (Hong Kong) where he rose through the divisions. Yokohama FC (HK) signed him for free at the beginning of the 2012/13 season before the previous manager released him. Should be a good squad player playing second fiddle to Harada at DM while also providing cover at DR where we are short of options.

15LamNgaiTong.png

Next I moved fast to fill another weak spot in the team (using up a foreign place) when South China release a left winger:

Paris Nakajima-Farran (24yo Canadian ML/DL) – Unattached

Despite being Canadian Paris was born in Tokyo and is another with Yokohama links having started his career with Yokohama F-Marinos (Japan). He has also spent time in Denmark with Naestved Boldklub & AC Horsens before South China (Hong Kong) picked him up last season. He is a little more defensive than I wanted from a winger but he should play a big role on the left as well as providing cover at left back.

16ParisNakajimaFarran.png

By the time the transfer window opened I had also managed to prise two players away from the League champions. One a former international while the other a current one:

Lee Wai Lun (33yo Hong Kong DR/MRC) – Signed from Sun Pegasus for £0

After starting his career at Kitchee (Hong Kong) he moved on to Po Chai (Hong Kong) & then Sun Hei (Hong Kong) where he spent eight seasons. Two at South China (Hong Kong) & four at Sun Pegasus (Hong Kong) followed along with 24 caps for his country. Despite playing a lot last season he was mainly a squad player and given his age I wasn't surprised Sun Pegasus were prepared to let him go. I'll be looking for him to start in his natural DR role but he will also provide cover in midfield.

17LeeWaiLun.png

Deng Jinghuang (29yo Hong Kong DL) – Signed from Sun Pegasus for £0

He was born & spent his early footballing career in China before arriving in Hong Kong on loan to South China (Hong Kong). After a few seasons he moved onto Sun Pegasus (Hong Kong) where he spent the last six years also gaining 9 international caps. I was a little surprised Sun Pegasus let him go but he was more of a rotation option for them whilst he'll be a starter for us.

18DengJinghuang.png

The last two signings put me over the wage budget and with no interest being shown in the twelve players in the reserves I've reached my limit for this season.

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Pre-Season Friendlies August 2014

HKDC Squadron (Hong Kong Non-League) 1-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Shek Tak Chun (47) ; Lee Ka Yiu (53), Fong Pak Lun (77)

MOTM: Chan Chun Lok (8.3)

I'm not a huge fan of the 442 formation so I push on with trying to get the team used to the 41221 I used in the last game of the season. We dominate much of the game but our failure to take our chances costs us when Shek Tak Chun loops a header over the keeper. Finally Lee Ka Yiu gets on the scoresheet with his third clear chance of the match before Fong Pak Lun spares our blushes with a smart turn and shot. Fong Pak Lun impressed as a F9 up front as did Chan Chun Lok in midfield but its clear Nakajima-Farran doesn't suit the more advanced left wing role and I'll need to adapt the formation to get the best out of the squad.

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 2-2 Lucky Mile (Hong Kong Non-League)

Goals: Wong Wai (53, 90) ; Tam Kwong Wah (22), Law Ka Long (og 62)

MOTM: Wong Wai (8.7)

Formation adapted as the MCs are pushed forward to AMC and the AML/R dropped back to ML/R. After a positive start we again fail to take our chances while at the back we seem to have no clue how to defend against set pieces which allows Lucky Mile to take the lead from a corner. Wong Wai comes off the bench at halftime to show the rest of the team how to finish but a mix up at the back over a long diagonal ball sees us chasing again. With time running out another good passing move sees Wong Wei slot in an equaliser but we have much work to do in defence, especially at set pieces.

U.S.R.C. (Hong Kong Non-League) 1-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Ting Ka Hei (57) ; Nakajima-Farran (20), Yoshitake (41)

MOTM: Paris Nakajima-Farran (7.5)

The team seem to be settling in to the formation with a solid professional performance. Several chances created and two taken in the first half while U.S.R.C. scored their only chance of the game in the second half.

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 3-0 Macau U23s

Goals: Lee Ka Ho (15), Wong Wei (34), Hui Ka Lok (60)

MOTM: Lee Ka Ho (8.7)

I'm expecting a tougher test from this opposition but the team cope well looking solid in defence & creative in attack. Unlike our previous friendlies we looked a lot more clinical taking our chances when they came our way.

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 2-2 Kuan Tai (Macau)

Goals: Hui Ka Lok (2), Leung Kwun Chung (49) ; Tou Weng Keong (78), Lok Kin Kwok (85)

MOTM: Tou Weng Keong (7.3) (Kuan Tai)

Early goals in each half put us in control despite not creating much but then complacency rears its head as we allow Kuan Tai back into the match.

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Preview 2014/15 Season

SUMMARY OF MAIN SQUAD

Without being able to clear out the reserve squad as much as I would have liked the amount of incoming players has been limited. I'm happy though that I've managed to strengthen four of the five areas that I felt were lacking, GK being the one I haven't managed to improve. With the players looking comfortable playing four at the back the two main formations I'll be looking to use are a standard 442 along with a 41221 I trialled in the last game of last season.

With our captain leaving Lee Ka Yiu is promoted from vice captain while key midfielder, Yoshitake takes over as vice captain.

Goalkeepers

As I was unable to sign a No 1 keeper the two youngsters from last season will again get a chance to continue their development.

Taiki Murai (22yo Japanese GK)

Law Ka Long (18yo Hong Kong GK)

Fullbacks

Our two new signings will start at fullback with cover being provided from other areas.

Deng Jinghuang (29yo Hong Kong DL)

Lee Wai Lun (33yo Hong Kong DR/MRC)

Central Defence

Park should play a big role at the back while the rest compete for the other starting place (including the two Leung brothers).

Park Tae-Hong (23yo South Korean DC)

Leung Nok Hang (19yo Hong Kong DC)

Leung Kwun Chung (22yo Hong Kong DC/DL)

Li Shu Yeung (23yo Hong Kong DC/DR, DM, MC)

Lau Hok Ming (18yo Hong Kong DC)

Central Midfield

There is more depth and a better balance to our midfield this season. Harada & Yoshitake will again be the key players whilst the rest should all get a chance to show what they can do.

Tsuyoshi Yoshitake (32yo Japanese AMRC/ST) – Vice Captain

Shintaro Harada (33yo Japanese DM/MC)

Lau Cheuk Hin (22yo Hong Kong AMC)

Lam Ngai Tong (24yo Hong Kong DM/DR)

Chan Chun Lok (18yo Hong Kong MC/AMC)

Wingers

Our new signing will take over on the left as my assistant manager drops to the bench while on the right Au Yeung will again look to start ahead of the two Lee's.

Paris Nakajima-Farran (24yo Canadian ML/DL)

Law Chun Bong (33yo Hong Kong AML/AMR) – Assistant Manager

Au Yeung Yiu Chang (25yo Hong Kong AMC/AMR, ST)

Lee Ka Yiu (22yo Hong Kong MR) - Captain

Lee Ka Ho (21yo Hong Kong AMR)

Forwards

Zicheng is the pick of the strikers although he may be employed as a wide player if I choose to go with one up front. Behind him there is a real opportunity for any of the three to stake a claim for a starting place.

Liang Zicheng (32yo Chinese ST/AMRL)

Wong Wai (21yo Hong Kong ST)

Fong Pak Lun (21yo Hong Kong ST/AML)

Hui Ka Lok (20yo Hong Kong ST)

BOARD EXPECTATIONS

The board announced their expectations for the season and I feel they are reachable with a bit of luck.

Hong Kong First Division: Mid-Table Finish

Hong Kong Challenge Shield: Quarter Final

Hong Kong FA Cup: Quarter Final

Hong Kong League Cup: Not Important

HONG KONG FIRST DIVISION PREVIEW

South China & Kitchee are the big hitters in the league while Citizen and current champions, Sun Pegasus will be looking to give them a run for their money. Down at the bottom promoted Tai Po are expected to struggle along with Eastern & Happy Valley although Happy Valley do seem to have the financial backing to do better. The media feel we are a solid mid-table team which matches the ambition of the board.

Media Prediction

1st  South China
--------------------------------------------------
2nd  Kitchee Sports Club
3rd  Sun Pegasus FC   ***Current Champions***
4th  Citizen
5th  Sun Hei Sports Club
6th  Rangers (HKG)
7th  Southern District
8th  [color="#FF0000"]Yokohama FC (HK)[/color]
9th  Tuen Mun Sports Association
10th Eastern Athletic Association
11th Happy Valley
-----------------------------------------------------
12th Tai Po FC   ***Promoted***  

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

August/September 2014

With the season getting underway we just have a couple of injuries, both on the right wing:

Lee Ka Yiu (MR) – Recovering from a damaged elbow, about a week left

Lee Ka Ho (MR) – Out for 3/4 months with a torn hamstring

Friday 29th August 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (1/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) 3-2 Citizen

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (51, 89), Yoshitake (68) ; Leco (28), Sham Kwok Keung (31)

MOTM: Nakajima-Farran (8.8)

Milestone: Lee Wai Lun – Debut for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Deng Jinghuang – Debut for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Paris Nakajima-Farran – Debut & 1st goal for Yokohama FC (HK)

Attendance: 297

Its a tough start to the season but I'm hoping to catch Citizen napping with the new formation. We start well but two early chances go begging before Citizen settle down and take control. When we fail to clear a corner Leco gives Citizen the lead and Sham Kwok Keung doubles it heading in a right wing cross. I demand more at halftime and the team deliver with Nakajima-Farran on hand to tap in when Wong Wei's effort is saved. More misses follow before Yoshitake sees a headed effort scrape past the keeper and with time running out Nakajima-Farran is played in, slotting into the far corner to seal the win.

Match Injury: Wong Wei (ST) – Out for two weeks with Concussion.

Player News – International

Two of the team get called up to the Hong Kong squad for friendlies with Kuwait & Brunei:

Deng Jinghuang (DL) & Leung Kwun Chung (DC/DL)

While another six are in the U21 squad for friendlies with India U21s & Turkmenistan U21s

Law Ka Long (GK), Lau Hok Ming (DC), Leung Nok Hang (DC), Chan Chun Lok (MC), Fong Pak Lun (ST/ML) & Hui Ka Lok (ST)

International Match Injury: Leung Nok Hang (DC) – Out for 3/4 months with a torn hamstring.

Player News: I rejected bids for Liang Zicheng at the start of the off-season but after more poor performances in the friendlies and the emergence of our other strikers I decide he is surplus to requirements as I look to get the wage bill under control:

Liang Zicheng (32yo Chinese/Hong Kong ST/AMRL) – Sold to Qinghai Senke (China) for £2.5k (Transfer completes 01.01.15)

Sunday 14th September 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (2/22)

Tuen Mun (12th) 4-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (4th)

Goals: Ling Cong (2, 15), Madjo (42, 46) ; Lee Ka Yiu (13), Yan Minghao (og 44)

MOTM: Ling Cong (8.8) (Tuen Mun)

This is the sort of match we should be looking to get points from if we want to finish higher up the table but we always seem to be chasing the game. We have more possession, more chances but our failure to defend crosses costs us as three find their way into the net with a rocket free-kick being the odd one out. A disappointing defeat as the defence struggle to deal with two quality foreign strikers.

Saturday 20th September 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (3/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (6th) 2-0 Rangers (HKG) (11th)

Goals: Chan Chun Lok (32), Yoshitake (89)

MOTM: Yoshitake (7.9)

Attendance: 327

Milestone: Park Tae-Hong - 50th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Chan Chun Lok – First Career Goal

Back at home I'm looking for the team to bounce back from last weeks defeat. We look much more solid defensively and this time take our chance, Nakajima-Farran cutting the ball back for Chan Chun Lok to slot in. This time we switch to a more counter attacking style and it pays off with Youshitake sealing the win on the break as Rangers push forward.

Saturday 27th September 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (4/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd) 1-1 Happy Valley (11th)

Goals: Chan Chun Lok (28) ; Akosah (87)

MOTM: Chan Chun Lok (7.3)

Attendance: 249

Another match I feel we can win at home but its clear from the start its going to be a midfield battle with both sides struggling to get meaningful possession in the final third. We finally break the deadlock when Hui Ka Lok muscles one defender off a deep right wing cross and holds another off before squaring the ball for Chan Chun Lok to find the net. The pattern repeats in the second half but our failure to kill the match off comes back to bite us as Akosah squeezes a late shot past Murai.

Player News: Paris Nakajima-Farran is named in the “Hong Kong First Division Team of the Month”

19LeagueTableSep2014.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

October 2014

Saturday 4th October 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (5/22)

Kitchee (7th) 5-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (4th)

Goals: Akande (1, 62), Leung Ka Hai (29), Wan Chi Yung (71), Deng Jinghuang (og 88) ; Au Yeung Yiu Chung (82)

MOTM: Gao Wen (9.3) (Kitchee)

Milestone: Leung Kwun Chung - 100th Career League Appearance

I've had real trouble motivating the side and this game was no different. From the whistle Kitchee were the better team but a terrible defensive performance was to blame as we gifted them chance after chance. On the positive note if we are going to make mistakes its best to have them all in the same match. With fines handed out I can only hope they improve next game.

International Player News

Three of the team get called up to the Hong Kong squad for friendlies with Bangladesh & Syria:

Deng Jinghuang (DL), Leung Kwun Chung (DC/DL) & Li Shu Yeung (DC/DR, DM, MC)

While five more are in the U21 squad for friendlies with India U21s & Andorra U21s:

Law Ka Long (GK), Lau Hok Ming (DC), Chan Chun Lok (MC), Hui Ka Lok (ST) & Fong Pak Lun (ST/ML)

Reserve Match Injury: Lam Ngai Tong (DM/DR) – Out for 4/5 weeks with a groin strain

International Match Injury: Hui Ka Lok (ST) – Out for 3/4 weeks with a groin strain

International Match Injury: Chan Chun Lok (MC) – Out for 4/5 weeks with a pulled hamstring

Saturday 18th October 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (6/22)

Sun Hei (12th) 3-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (5th)

Goals: Ye Jia (48), Chan Siu Ki (68), Teodorovic (90) ; Yoshitake (27), Lau Hok Ming (73)

MOTM: Chan Siu Ki (8.3) (Sun Hei)

Milestone: Lau Hok Ming – First Career Goal

I'm hoping for a better performance after the international break and team seem more positive on the pitch. All seems to be going to plan when Yoshitake is played through but a corner sees Sun Hei back in the match. With both defences looking stretched Sun Hei take the lead but a corner of our own sees us back level. With chances missed at both ends it looks like ending in a draw but Teodorovic pops up in injury time to smash in a loose ball as we slip to another defeat.

Sunday 26th October 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (7/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (10th) 0-1 Southern District (6th)

Goals: Yago (pen 11)

MOTM: Ruben Lopez (8.0) (Southern District)

Attendance: 241

Morale isn't great and when a deep freekick producing a scramble in the box the referee gives a penalty. We struggle for much of the match to create anything of note but we stay in the game and chances eventually come late on. One missed, one saved and a clear penalty not given means the defeats are starting to rack up as are the injuries.

Match Injury: Tsuyoshi Yoshitake (AMRC) – Out for 5/6 months with a torn calf muscle

Training Injury: Au Yeung Yiu Chung (AMRC) – Out for 4/5 weeks with a groin strain

20LeagueTableOct2014.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

November 2014

Tuesday 4th November 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (8/22)

Sun Pegasus (2nd) 2-3 Yokohama FC (HK) (10th)

Goals: McKee (53), Mbome (77) ; Lau Cheuk Hin (25, pen 34, 72)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (9.5)

Away to the current champions after losing three on the trot and an injury list as long as your arm. Perfect time for a change of formation back to my other 41221 lineup, especially as its a better fit for those available to play. It seems to do the trick as we have the better of possession and when Lau Cheuk Hin plays a one-two with Wong Wei before firing in we have the lead. He doubles the lead from the penalty spot when Wong Wei is brought down turning in the box. Sun Pegasus respond after the break but we manage to stay ahead to claim a vital win.

Saturday 8th November 2014 – Hong Kong Challenge Shield (First Round) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 3-2 Happy Valley (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Lau Cheuk Hin (pen 66), Deng Jinghuang (83), Park Tae-Hong (86) ; Abah (5, 69)

MOTM: Abah (8.8) (Happy Valley)

An early long ball over the top sees Abah give Happy Valley the lead but after that the game settles down. With neither side able to create anything it looks like we are drifting out of the Shield until Wong Wei wins a soft penalty and the match explodes into life. Abah nods in a left wing cross to put Happy Valley back in control but we look much more determined. In the end two set pieces send us into the next round – Deng heads in a corner before a deep freekick creates havoc with Park putting his foot through the loose ball.

International Player News

Another international break and we have three players called up for Hong Kong's friendly with New Zealand:

Deng Jinghuang (DL), Leung Kwun Chung (DC/DL) & Wong Wei (ST)

Reserve Match Injury: Paris Nakajima-Farran (ML/DL) – Out for two weeks with a sprained wrist

21LeagueTableNov2014.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

December 2014

Tuesday 2nd December 2014 – Hong Kong League Cup (Main Stage 2nd Round) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 2-1 Sun Pegasus (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Chan Chun Lok (79), Lee Ka Yiu (83) ; Mbome (69)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (8.0)

We make the better start but with neither team able to create much its no surprise that goals are hard to come by. Sun Pegasus improve the longer the match goes and it looks over when Mbome slots in the first real chance of the match. Chan Chun Lok had made a difference since coming on though he proves to be the catalyst for a response, first arriving late to finish a right wing cross before being involved in the move which saw Lee Ka Yiu fire in the winner.

Sunday 7th December 2014 – Hong Kong Challenge Shield (Quarter Final) (Neutral Ground)

South China (Hong Kong First Division) 3-2aet Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Filipe (31, 36), Joel (pen 112) ; Park Tae-Hong (21, 28)

MOTM: Park Tae-Hong (9.2)

My scout informed me South China were weak at set pieces and that proved to be the case as Park twice took advantage of their failure to clear corners. We also struggle though to contain Filipe and he soon levels the match. With both teams tightening up at the back the match goes all the way to extra time and it takes a penalty to settle it when Fong Pak Lun gives away a foul during a deep free kick.

Match Injury: Fong Pak Lun (ST) – Out for two weeks with a bruised rib

Tuesday 23rd December 2014 – Hong Kong First Division (9/22)

South China (2nd) 3-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (9th)

Goals: Filipe (1, 55), Luk Chi Ho (9) ; Au Yeung Yiu Chung (52)

MOTM: Filipe (8.8) (South China)

Milestone: Lam Ngai Tong - 100th Career League Appearance

It seems like ages since we had a league match and after a good showing in the Shield I'm hoping we can get something from this game. Motivating this squad is massively frustrating though and today is no different as we find ourselves two goals down early on. Finally the team shows signs of life and a red card for South China followed by Au Yeung Yiu Chung slotting in a square pass gives us hope. Filipe once again proves to be the thorn in our side though as 10 man South China cruise to a win.

22LeagueTableDec2014.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

January 2015

Sunday 4th January 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (10/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (10th) 2-1 Eastern (11th)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (46), Lau Cheuk Hin (pen 90) ; Leung Tsz Chun (34)

MOTM: Deng Jinghuang (7.3)

Attendance: 300

New year, new approach as I attempt to motivate the team. It seems to work as they take control of the match but it takes 25 minutes for either team to get a shot on goal. We don't score but Eastern do when a nothing shot from the right creeps in. I again push for more at halftime and it comes when Fong Pak Lun flicks on a left wing cross for Lee Ka Yiu to finish. Both sides look for a winner in the final stages but it doesn't look like coming until Nakajima-Farran is pulled back in the box, Lau Cheuk Hin sending the keeper the wrong way to seal a vital win.

Transfer News

With the transfer window open our Chairman has been working hard and managed to offload three more reserves/youth players who weren't in my plans while Liang Zicheng completed his transfer to Senke. I've also noticed I'm actually allowed seven foreign players of which one must be Asian and only five are allowed in the match day squad. With Yoshitake out injured for a while yet it made sense to add another and there was plenty of choice with the league season just ending in several Asian countries:

Park Joo-Woon (24yo South Korean GK) – Unattached

Started his career with Hongik University (South Korea) before moving to Daejeon Citizen (South Korea) last year. He failed to impress though and was released in December but should prove to be a class above our current options.

23ParkJoo-Woon.png

Saturday 17th January 2015 – Hong Kong League Cup (Main Stage Quarter Final) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 1-2 Tai Po (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Park Tae-Hong (9) ; Aghadinuno (83), Ekwenugo (pen 90)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (7.4)

With the board not bothered about the League Cup its a good chance for our new signing to make his debut in goal but its Deng at DL who makes the headlines being sent off less than two minutes into the match. Nakajima-Farran drops back to WBL as cover buts its vital we score first and we do when Park Tae-Hong volleys in at the back post from a corner. With possession even both teams create a few half chances to score but our strikers again waste them while Park Joo-Woon looks solid between the sticks. With time running out Tai Po push forward and are rewarded when Aghadinuno heads in a left wing cross. Its looking like going into extra time but Au Yeung Yiu Chung is penalised challenging for a long throw and this time its us that give up a late penalty to lose.

24LeagueTableJan2015.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

February 2015

Thursday 5th February 2015 – Hong Kong League Cup (Loser Stage Third Round) (Neutral Ground)

Tuen Mun (Hong Kong First Division) 4-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Divison)

Goals: Yip Tsz Chun (2), Cheung Chi Fung (62), Yan Minghao (64), Ling Cong (88) ; Wong Wei (32), Chan Chun Lok (36)

MOTM: Yip Tsz Chun (9.1) (Tuen Mun)

We once again find ourselves a goal down early, this time we are unlucky though as a mishit cross flies into the far corner. We play the better football though and are in front by halftime as Wong Wei drills in a low cross before Chan Chun Lok turns in the box finding the net. From a position of control we somehow collapse in the second half as Tuen Mun cruise to the win. Worthy of mention is that Wong Wei's goal is the first time this season one of our three strikers has actually scored.

Match Injury: Chan Chun Lok (MC) – Out for 5/6 weeks with a pulled hamstring

Match Injury: Lee Ka Yiu (MR) – Out for two weeks with a bruised rib

Sunday 8th February 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (11/22)

Tai Po (10th) 2-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (7th)

Goals: Ekwenugo (30), Aghadinuno (57) ; Lee Ka Ho (32), Wong Wei (42)

MOTM: Ekwenugo (7.7) (Tai Po)

Back to league action and every point is important given how close the table is. We manage not to concede early for once but when we have to rearrange the defence due to injury Ekwenugo takes advantage smashing in a loose ball. The team respond though with Lee Ka Ho heading in left wing cross before a right wing cross isn't cleared leaving Wong Wei a free header inside the six yard box. Despite playing reasonably well our defence constantly struggle to contain the Tai Po strikers and eventually Aghadinuno finds the top corner to level the match. Both sides have chances to win the game but both have to settle for a point which isn't a disaster from our point of view.

Match Injury: Wong Wei (ST) – Out for 4/5 weeks with a thigh strain.

Sunday 15th February 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (12/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (7th) 5-1 Tuen Mun (5th)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (23, 33), Lau Cheuk Hin (39, 90), Hui Ka Lok (68) ; Li Chi Shing (58)

Attendance: 328

Milestone: Hui Ka Lok - 1st goal for Yokohama FC (HK)

Halfway in the league and I've finally worked out how to motivate this team. They make a positive start and we have the lead when Nakajima-Farran fires in at the second attempt, although he should have buried the first. He doubles the lead when Hui Ka Lok cuts a ball back and its three when Tuen Mun fail to clear a corner. Tuen Mun pull one back with their only dangerous passing move of the match but the team keep their heads with Hui Ka Lok volleying in a pass from the left before Lau Cheuk Hin is released on the break. Easily our best performance of the season as we look dangerous in attack and solid in defence.

Saturday 21st February 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (13/22)

Citizen (9th) 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (4th)

Goals: Malock (81) ; Lee Ka Yiu (60)

MOTM: Malock (7.2) (Citizen)

Looking to build on last weeks performance we keep it tight at the back and there are few shots from either team. We open up more in the second half and our captain returns from injury to fire us into the lead. Citizen push forward late on though with Malock heading in a corner as an even game ends in a draw.

Reserve Match Injury: Fong Pak Lun (ST/ML) – Out for 9/12 days with a bruised shin.

Player News: Lau Cheuk Hin (MC) is named in the “Team of the Month”

25LeagueTableFeb2015.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

March 2015

Sunday 1st March 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (14/22)

Rangers (HKG) (9th) 2-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (6th)

Goals: Chan Ming Kong (62), Saric (64) ; Hui Ka Lok (48), Au Yeung Yiu Chung (90)

MOTM: Au Yeung Yiu Chung (7.5)

Yoshitake is back from his long injury layoff but he'll have to settle for a place on the bench after the recent good performances. Its an even start but as the match settles down we are in control. We take the lead after the break when Hui Ka Lok muscles a defender off a through ball to drill in. Rangers are always in the game though and one good through ball sees them level. It gets worse when both DCs are caught ball watching which allows Saric to climb high heading in a left wing cross. The team don't fold though and respond well earning a well deserved point when Yoshitake breaks down the left squaring for Au Yeung Yiu Chung to fire in.

Manager News: Rangers (HKG) sack their manager and I'm listed as the favourite to take over but I play it down in the media.

Sunday 8th March 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (15/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (6th) 1-1 Kitchee (2nd)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (27) ; Karalic (22)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (7.4)

Attendance: 333

It seems like if I'm not demanding the team can't be bothered and this match is no different. We keep it reasonably tight at the back but Kitchee are well in control with Karalic giving them the lead from a right wing cross. I growl at them from the sidelines and they respond with the captain again on hand to finish a left wing cross. Another kick up the arse at halftime and we match Kitchee in the second even coming the closest to a winner when Fong Pak Lun sees a shot tipped over the bar. I can't complain about a point at home to Kitchee but it would be nice if we could turn some of these draws into wins.

Sunday 15th March 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (16/22)

Happy Valley (4th) 1-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (6th)

Goals: Jing Teng (40) ; Lau Cheuk Hin (50), Deng Jinghuang (65)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (8.3)

I demand a win and it seems to work but both teams look positive on the pitch. After decent chances are missed by both sides its Happy Valley that find the net when a deep cross sees Jing Teng unmarked at the far post. Its looking like it might be one of those days until an underperforming Lau Cheuk Hin calmly loops an angled shot into the far corner which fires the team up. Deng gives us the lead heading in a corner and that proves to be the winner as we finally chalk up a win.

Reserve Match Injury: Lam Ngai Tong (DM/DR) – Out for two weeks with a bruised rib.

Friday 20th March 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (17/22)

Southern District (8th) 2-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (5th)

Goals: Yago (58), Dieguito (80) ; Lee Ka Yiu (42), Wong Wai (90)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (7.9)

Milestone: Wong Wei (ST) - 100th Career League Appearance

A four point gap has opened in the middle of the table and I'm keen to keep it as I look to extend our six match unbeaten run in the league. Revenge seems to motivate this team and while Southern District are happy to play the ball around we are more direct testing their keeper. Lee Ka Yiu once again is the man opening the scoring bursting into the box from the right to give us the lead at halftime. Yago pulls Southern District level heading in a corner and a change of shape then benefits them as we look stretched on the break. Dieguito looks to have won the match when we get caught out at the back but the team once again dig deep with Wong Wei bringing down an angled ball, turning and finding the net to rescue a point in injury time.

Match Injury: Shintaro Harada (DM/MC) – Out for 6/7 weeks with a twisted ankle.

International News

The Hong Kong U21s have a friendly against Singapore U21s and we have four in the squad:

Law Ka Long (GK), Leung Nok Hang (DC), Lau Hok Ming (DC) & Chan Chun Lok (MC)

Player News: Lau Cheuk Hin (MC) is once again named in the “Team of the Month”

26LeagueTableMarch2015.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

April 2015

Manager News

Despite being over the wage budget the board are happy with my performance and offer me a new one year contract. They offer me a large pay rise of approx 30% but as I've been over the wage budget I feel obliged to settle for a smaller one.

New Contract: £2,200 a month until June 2016.

Saturday 4th April 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (18/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (6th) 4-2 Sun Hei (12th)

Goals: Park Tae-Hong (52), Hui Ka Lok (63), Siu Leong (og 73), Lee Ka Yiu (85) ; Chan Siu Ki (19, 76)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (8.8)

Attendance: 297

Milestone: Leung Kwun Chung (DC) - 50th League Appearance for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Tsuyoshi Yoshitake (AMRC) - 50th League Appearance for Yokohama FC (HK)

Sun Hei really shouldn't be anywhere near relegation given the quality in their squad so I'm under no illusion that this will be easy. Their habit of packing the midfield leads to a frustrating first half made worse when Chan Siu Ki is first to react when his header is tipped onto the bar. Increased tempo & closing down in the second half again reaps rewards but it takes a corner to bring us level when Park Tae-Hong beats his marker at the near post. Hui Ka Lok comes on to provide more of an aerial threat up front and this changes the game as he brings down a left wing cross to give us the lead before his shot from the edge of the box rattles the crossbar, hitting the keeper on the way in. A mistake from Deng Jianhuang sees Chan Siu Ki give Sun Hei hope from a corner but the captain seals the win drifting inside before beating his man on the outside and drilling a shot past the keeper. This win makes it nine games unbeaten in the league and we are now solidly in midtable more or less safe from relegation.

Saturday 11th April 2015 – Hong Kong FA Cup (Quarter Final) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 2-1 Southern District (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (41), Nakajima-Farran (86) ; Dieguito (10)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (8.0)

Its a tight game with few shots but both teams take their only real chance of the first half. Dieguito's run off his marker is found with an angled ball to give Southern District the early lead while Lee Ka Yiu finds the net after being given time to turn and shoot in the box just before the break. The second half continues in the same vein with Lee Ka Yiu leading from the front picking out the run of Nakajima-Farran who smashes in late on to send us into the semi-finals.

Player News

The five man shortlists are announced for the “Hong Kong Player of the Year” & “Hong Kong Young Player of the Year” and I'm surprised to see four of the five names on the young player shortlist are from Yokohama FC (HK):

Lau Cheuk Hin (AMC), Lee Ka Yiu (AMR), Hui Ka Lok (ST) & Wong Wei (ST)

Tuesday 14th April 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (19/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (4th) 2-2 Sun Pegasus (2nd)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (15), Yoshitake (pen 66) ; Randjelovic (27), Rascic (42)

MOTM: Randjelovic (7.9) (Sun Pegasus)

Attendance: 336

Milestone: Fong Pak Lun (ST) - 100th Career League Appearance

We are in good form but home to the current champions will be a big test. Nakajima-Farran gives us the early lead when a right wing cross causes panic in the box leaving him to nod in the loose ball and we continue to create several half chances. Sun Pegasus look more composed going forward though and create the better chances with both Randjelovic and star striker Rascic finding the net before the break. We ride our luck in the second half and when Yoshitake goes down in the box the referee gives a controversial penalty which extends our unbeaten streak.

Saturday 18th April 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (20/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (4th) 3-3 South China (1st)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (9), Hui Ka Lok (31), Yoshitake (90) ; Yau Chun Him (32), Luk Chi Ho (69), Filipe (71)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (7.8)

Attendance: 449

South China are the newly crowned Champions with three games to go so I'm hoping they'll rest a few players. We start well with Lee Ka Yiu scoring what is turning into a typical goal for us, bursting into the space created by Hui Ka Lok before calmly lifting the ball over the onrushing keeper. He returns the favour midway through the half picking out Hui Ka Lok with a short pass which is sidefooted past the keeper but South China respond with a controversial offside goal. South China up their game after the break and turn it round through a wide freekick before Filipe finds the net to give them the lead. Its looking like our unbeaten run is coming to an end but deep into injury time Yoshitake's run from the left is picked out and his shot finds the inside of the far post to chalk up another draw.

Youth Intake

16 players join the youth team on trial contracts and given how short of players it is they'll all get signed despite only a few showing potential. My assistant manager feels Lau Chun Wai (15yo DC) & Cheung Ka Wing (15yo DM) have an outside chance of being first team material in the future but his pick of the crop is Yip Hon Fai (14yo AMC). That said my AM isn't the best judge and I'll be consulting the other coaches as we go along.

27YouthIntake2015.png

28YipHonFai.png

Sunday 26th April 2015 – Hong Kong FA Cup (Semi Final) (Neutral Ground)

South China (Hong Kong First Division) 4-3aet Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Filipe (67), Luk Chi Ho (87, 113, 119) ; Liu (og 23), Lee Ka Yiu (90), Hui Ka Lok (108)

MOTM: Luk Chi Ho (9.6) (South China)

We make a good start controlling possession but struggle to create chances whilst South China are no better off shooting from distance. We open the scoring when Liu fails to clear a deep cross off the line and things look rosy until Filipe comes off the bench in the second half to pull South China level. When Luk Chi Ho fires in after we fail to clear a deep freekick I think its over but Lee Ka Yiu turns and fires in to send the match to extra time. Hui Ka Lok heads in a right wing cross and I think thats enough to send us to the final but Luk Chi Ho has other ideas firing in twice to breaks the fans hearts.

Player News

I've been trying to decide if I should offer my assistant manager & reserve left wing another contract but he takes the decision out of my hands when he announces he wants to retire at the end of the season.

Player News: Lau Cheuk Hin is again named in the “Team of the Month”

29LeagueTableApril2015.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

May 2015

Tuesday 5th May 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (21/22)

Eastern (9th) 2-0 Yokohama FC (HK) (6th)

Goals: Leung Tsz Chun (30), Gerard (45)

MOTM: Gerard (7.5)

Two games to go as the season winds down and we can still technically finish anywhere from 2nd to 9th although realistically its going to be somewhere between 4th & 8th. We make a confident start as we knock the ball around but its Eastern that look the more dangerous playing more directly to their three forwards. With our two DCs struggling to cope its Leung Tsz Chun that gets free to open the scoring and when Gerard fires in from a poor corner clearance it goes from bad to worse. Yoshitake comes on for Lee Ka Yiu who picked up a knock just before the break and we press in the second half but its the same old story that when chances come our way we waste them. A really frustrating result given how well the team played but I guess the positive is that it makes little difference overall in the league.

Match Injury: Lam Ngai Tong (DM/DR) – Out for 6/9 days with a gashed arm.

Monday 11th May 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (22/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (7th) 2-1 Tai Po (11th)

Goals: Wong Wai (34), Lee Ka Yiu (49) ; Harada (og 71)

MOTM: Wong Wai (8.0)

Attendance: 353

I'm looking to finish the season on a high and the team soon settle into their passing game. With Tai Po coming to defend our play is all in front of them and we struggle to create a decent chance until Wong Wei's run into the channel is picked out. We are cruising just after the break when Lee Ka Yiu scores a typical goal breaking into the box from the right and the pattern continues until Harada deflects a cross past the keeper which was about the only way Tai Po were going to score. They push for an equaliser coming closest in injury time when a shot rattles the bar with a last ditch tackle blocking the rebound but we hold on for a relatively comfortable win.

Match Injury: Wong Wei (ST) – Out for two weeks with a bruised rib

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

2014/15 Season Review

Hong Kong First Division

Citizen had a disappointing season but the other three that were expected to fight it out for the title filled the top three spots. However both the defending champions, Sun Pegasus & Kitchee were left trailing as South China re-asserted their dominance by convincingly lifting their 41st title. The media thought Happy Valley would be the ones in the relegation battle with promoted Tai Po but I was correct in my thinking that their finances eased them up into mid-table. This left Sun Hei to underperform for the second season in a row and this time there was no escape as they slipped out of the top league.

After a mixed start we seemed to get better as the season went on with good form in the second half seeing us ease up the league into mid-table which delighted the board. Our 5th place finish was a massive improvement on last season's 10th and higher than the media prediction of 8th although aside from the top three & bottom two there was little between those clubs finishing 4th-10th.

30LeagueTable2015.png

The Shield went to form this season with Citizen & Sun Pegasus going out in the semis while the two biggest clubs made the final although Kitchee caused a small upset by beating South China 1-0 to lift the trophy for the 6th time.

We pushed South China all the way taking them to extra time in the quarter finals which matched the board's expectations.

31Shield2015.png

Hong Kong League Cup

The last time the League Cup was held was in 2012 but its back this season in a new format. The main stage is like a normal knockout cup competition but when you lose you enter the loser stage which is a bit like a repechage or plate competition with the winner of each competing in the final.

Tuen Mun & Tai Po made a name for themselves losing to Kitchee in the semis & final of the main stage respectively and then eventually competing against each other in the loser stage final for the right to face off against Kitchee in the League Cup Final. Tai Po won and fought out a 2-2 draw with Kitchee in the League Cup Final but Kitchee lifted the trophy for the 4th time by virtue of being main stage winners.

We had a good competition losing to Tai Po in the semi-finals of the main stage before losing to Tuen Mun in the loser stage but the board didn't care as they don't class the competition as important.

Hong Kong FA Cup

Tai Po built on their League Cup form with a run to another final beating Kitchee enroute in the semis. South China proved too strong for them in the final though winning their 11th FA Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win.

We also had a good run to the semis where we again took South China to extra time which pleased the board as it exceeded their expectations.

32FACup2015.png

Awards

Hong Kong Footballer of the Year: Admir Rascic (33yo Bosnian ST) (Sun Pegasus)

Hong Kong Fans Player of the Year: Admir Rascic (33yo Bosnian ST) (Sun Pegasus)

1st Admir Rascic (33yo Bosnian ST) (Sun Pegasus) – 17 goals in 22 apps

2nd Julius Akosah (32yo Hong Kong/Cameroonian ST) (Happy Valley) – 14 goals in 22 apps

3rd Filipe (19yo Hong Kong/Brazilian ST) (Citizen) – 12 goals in 11 apps

1st Lee Ka Yiu (23yo Hong Kong AMR) (Yokohama FC (HK))

2nd Lau Cheuk Hin (22yo Hong Kong AMC) (Yokohama FC (HK))

Hong Kong Manager of the Year: Cheung Po Chun (South China)

Hong Kong First Division Fair Play Award: Kitchee

Our captain and AMR, Lee Ka Yiu was named amongst the substitutes.

Yokohama FC (HK) Fans' Player of the Year: Lee Ka Yiu

Squad Review

Goalkeepers

Home grown Law Ka Long started the season challenging talented foreigner Murai for the starting role and for the most part winning the battle. New signing Park Joo-Woon took over in January and it may or may not be a coincidence that our form took a turn for the better.

Park Joo-Woon (24yo Korean GK) – 16 apps, 31 conceded, 0 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.89

Law Ka Long (18yo Hong Kong GK) – 8 apps, 18 conceded, 0 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.89

Taiki Murai (22yo Japanese GK) – 5 apps, 10 conceded, 1 clean sheet, Ave Rating: 6.68

Fullbacks

Deng Jinghuang was our only main option on the left but he didn't exactly impress, especially given the large wage he is on. On the right Lee Wai Lun proved to be the better signing but with age catching up with him utility player Li Shu Yeung got some gametime.

Deng Jianhuang (30yo Hong Kong DL/DR) – 25 apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.69

Lee Wai Lun (34yo Hong Kong DR/MRC) – 22 (3) apps, 0 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.79

Li Shu Yeung (24yo Hong Kong DC/DR, DM, MC) – 10 (2) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.51

Central Defenders

Park Tae-Hong was supposed to be the star in the defence but his performances were somewhat mixed while the two Leung brothers competed for the starting place alongside him leaving Lau Hok Ming as the odd man out.

Park Tae-Hong (24yo Korean DC) – 28 apps, 5 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.82

Leung Kwun Chung (23yo Hong Kong DC/DL) – 20 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.55

Leung Nok Hang (20yo Hong Kong DC) – 12 apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.60

Lau Hok Ming (19yo Hong Kong DC) – 2 (1) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.63

Central Midfielders

In the holding role Harada was supposed to be a star player but in practice his performances weren't any better than Lam Ngai Tong. Another of our foreign stars, Yoshitake started well enough in the more creative roles but when injury struck it was Lau Cheuk Hin & Au Yeung Yiu Chung who built a key partnership in the middle of the field. Home grown youngster Chan Chun Lok showed promise when he got a chance and he could prove to be a good player if he gets regular gametime.

Shintaro Harada (34yo Japanese DM/MC) – 23 apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.67

Lam Ngai Tong (25yo Hong Kong DM/DR) – 5 (11) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.67

Tsuyoshi Yoshitake (33yo Japanese AMRC) – 10 (8) apps, 5 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.89

Au Yeung Yiu Chung (25yo Hong Kong AMC/AMR, ST) – 21 (4) apps, 3 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.90

Lau Cheuk Hin (23yo Hong Kong AMC) – 20 (7) apps, 8 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.95

Chan Chun Lok (19yo Hong Kong MC) – 7 (8) apps, 4 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.88

Wingers

Nakajima-Farran did a solid job on the left in a role that wasn't ideal for him while with Au Yeung Yiu Chung moving infield the captain, Lee Ka Yiu showed what he can do on the right. My assistant manager provided decent cover on the left while Lee Ka Ho did the same on the right but their chances were somewhat limited.

Paris Nakajima-Farran (25yo Canadian ML/DL) – 25 apps, 6 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.86

Law Chun Bong (34yo Hong Kong AML/AMR) – 4 (10) apps, 0 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.69

Lee Ka Yiu (23yo Hong Kong MR) – 26 apps, 11 goals, 9 assists, Ave Rating: 7.15

Lee Ka Ho (22yo Hong Kong AMR) – 2 (2) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.75

Strikers

All three strikers got a chance to prove themselves but all of them struggled to find the net. Wong Wei is the most creative and gives good movement off the ball while Hui Ka Lok offers more of an aerial threat which led to decent performances aside from goals. That left Fong Pak Lun as the odd man out particularly due his tendency to shoot from distance.

Wong Wei (22yo Hong Kong ST) – 13 (5) apps, 4 goals, 6 assists, Ave Rating: 6.94

Hui Ka Lok (21yo Hong Kong ST) – 10 (6) apps, 5 goals, 6 assists, Ave Rating: 6.86

Fong Pak Lun (22yo Hong Kong ST/ML) – 5 (10) apps, 0 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.56

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Off-Season Report

INTERNATIONAL NEWS

All the Hong Kong squads have games and we have several call ups:

U19s

Mok Chun To (17yo GK) & Choi Sai Yan (17yo AML) are called up for friendlies against Gibraltar U19s & Jordan U19s.

U21s

Hui Ka Lok (21yo ST) is called up for friendlies against Qatar U21s & Malaysia U21s

U22s

The U22s are competing in the 2015 Asian U22 Nations Cup in India and we have four in the squad: Law Ka Long (18yo GK), Leung Nok Hang (20yo DC), Chan Chun Lok (19yo MC) & Wong Wei (22yo ST).

After a credible 0-0 opening draw against Australia U22s the Hong Kong team registered two disappointing 1-0 defeats to Qatar U22s & Lebanon U22s to finish bottom of their group.

China U22s lifted the trophy beating Australia U22s 2-1 in the final.

Senior Squad

Deng Jinghuang (30yo DL/DR), Leung Kwun Chung (23yo DC/DL) & Au Yeung Yiu Chung (25yo AMC/AMR, ST) are called up for friendlies against Bahrain & The Philippines while Leung Kwun Chung lost his place for the two legged 1st Round of Asian World Cup qualifying against East Timor. Hong Kong won both legs (3-2 at home & 2-1 away) to qualify for the 2nd round.

The second round saw Hong Kong drawn against Turkmenistan with the winners qualifying for the group stage. Leung Kwun Chung, Au Yeung Yiu Chung and new signing, Matthew Pike are left out but new signings Garlock Liu (23yo DL) & Jack Sealy (28yo DR/MRC) are joined by Deng Jinghuang (30yo DL/DR), Leung Nok Hang (20yo DC) & Wong Wei (22yo ST)

Unfortunately Hong Kong couldn't make the group stage losing 2-0 away and then 3-2 at home as Turkmenistan progressed.

FINANCES

The finances make very similar reading to last season as we again made a loss - £99k compared to the £103k last season.

Nearly half of our income comes from our parent club in Japan which we are heavily reliant on but with scope to improve attendances over time we should be able to slowly increase our ticket sales. On the expenses side wages are the biggest cost accounting for 85% of our expenses and the area I need to keep tight control over. Even small savings in this area could go a long way to helping the club break even especially if I reduce the £35k I spent on scouting last season.

With just over £500k in the bank account the board set the initial budgets – Transfer budget: £77k, Wage budget: £44.5k a month. I'm not looking to use any of the transfer budget if I can help it while I would like to keep the wage cost under £40k a month as I look for the club to break even next season. We are currently spending £36k a month on wages after the initial wave of players leaving & joining and I'm looking to add another four squad players before the season gets underway.

Looking at the rest of the league we are once again one of the most secure clubs along with Happy Valley although again none of the clubs seem to have any pressing financial issues. We were 11th last season in terms of turnover and we sit 5th in terms of value which suggests we should be looking to improve our attendances and popularity. Our average attendance disappointingly took a dive last season from 424 the season before to 319 last season.

PLAYER NEWS – OUTGOING

I finally get a chance to clear out the reserve team with eleven players released at the end of their contracts to ease the wage problem.

Eight more were moved on from the first team:

Law Chun Bong (34yo Hong Kong AML/AMR) – Retired

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 3 seasons, Appearances: 33 (14), Goals: 1, Assists: 4

My assistant manager decided to hang up his boots and as he isn't that great at coaching he was also released at the end of the season.

Lee Wai Lun (34yo Hong Kong DR/MRC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 1 season, Appearances: 22 (3), Goals: 0, Assists: 4

He proved to be a good signing last season but time had caught up with him and he had declined rapidly as the season progressed.

Shintaro Harada (34yo Japanese DM/MC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 2 seasons, Appearances: 47, Goals: 0, Assists: 3

The coaches thought he should be a star player for us but he never impressed me with a series of average performances. He had declined a little and was on a large wage so I thought we could do better.

Li Shu Yeung (24yo Hong Kong DC/DR, DM, MC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 2 seasons, Appearances: 30 (3), Goals: 0, Assists: 0

Jack of all trades, master of none would be a good description. Provided cover in a number of areas but played relatively poorly in all of them.

Taiki Murai (22yo Japanese GK) – Released at end of contract

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 3 seasons, Appearances: 28, Clean Sheets: 4

Everybody thought Taiki could be a future star but we can't afford to wait especially as he has weaknesses in key areas.

Lau Hok Ming (19yo Hong Kong DC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 3 seasons, Appearances: 2 (2), Goals: 1, Assists: 0

Came through the youth team but failed to break into the first team.

Lee Ka Ho (22yo Hong Kong AMR) – Released at end of contract

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 3 seasons, Appearances: 13 (2), Goals: 1, Assists: 0

Didn't really improve in the three years he was at the club and struggles now to break into the first team.

Fong Pak Lun (22yo Hong Kong ST/ML) – Released at end of contract

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 3 seasons, Appearances: 21 (18), Goals: 2, Assists: 5

Seemed to have the skills but failed to produce on the pitch falling behind the other strikers in the pecking order.

With friendlies well underway Kitchee make an offer for one of our star midfielders, Lau Cheuk Hin. Its a good offer of over twice his value at £14k but you don't build a title challenge by selling your best players so its quickly rejected.

Kitchee persist though switching their attention to our young MC, Chan Chung Lok but again I have no intention of selling unless forced to.

Finally with the season about to kickoff Japanese side Albirex make a move for Yoshitake. £0 + 25% sell on fee is no where near enough for me even to consider selling so they are sent packing.

PLAYER NEWS – INCOMING

With Harada leaving its important to find a starter for the anchor man role and with no real options with Hong Kong nationality its a case of replacing one foreigner with another:

Wang Shixin (22yo Chinese DM/DC, MC) – Unattached

Came through the youth team and spent all of his career at Dalian A'erbin (Chinese Super League) except for a loan spell at Shenyang Shenbei (Chinese First Division) last season. He failed to break into the first team though and was released. My scouts thought I could do better but he has good base skills for the role I want him to play and they think he'll improve in the future

33WangShixin.png

I'm also looking for a starter to replace Lee Wai Lun at DR and when South China let his contract run down I move quickly to get a deal done:

Jack Sealy (28yo Hong Kong DR/MRC) – Signed on a bosman from South China

Spent a lot of his early career at amateur team Hong Kong Football Club where his father was involved in the coaching, managing and at board level before being picked up by Sun Hei in 2011. South China signed him a year later and over the last three years he has been a regular member of their first team as well as gaining a Hong Kong passport and representing the national team (9 caps). He is a well rounded player who doesn't stand out in training but as I know from last season he often produces on the pitch.

34JackSealy.png

With contracts ending lots of players have left their clubs and I'm looking for four to fill out my squad – A DL to challenge Deng Jianhuang, a DR to backup/challenge new signing Sealy, a MR to backup/challenge Lee Ka Yiu and another striker to compete with Wong Wei & Hui Ka Lok for the starting place.

Although there is a lot of choice most are foreign players and we already have five which is the max allowed in the match day squad. There are around ten standout home based players unattached who have a number of clubs chasing their signatures. Some play in midfield where we are already quite strong but I throw my hat in the ring for some of the others and am pleased to secure two signatures:

Garlock Liu (23yo Hong Kong DL) – Unattached

Started his career at amateur side Hong Kong Football Club before Yokohama actually signed him in 2012. He didn't make an appearance though and moved on to South China. After a disappointing first season he stepped up last year with some impressive performances which earned him a recent callup to the national squad and I'm a little surprised South China let him go. There are some question marks over his decision making and positional sense but he is a hard working defensive player who should challenge Deng Jianhuang for the DL position.

35GarlockLiu.png

Matthew Pike (25yo Hong Kong DC) – Unattached

Born in Hong Kong but learned his football in England with West Brom. He never made it though turning into something of a journeyman. Two years ago he had an impressive season with Australian amateur side, Mudgeeraba SC which persuaded Chinese first divison Hebei Zhongji to pay £1.9k for him. Another good season saw him make his national debut picking up four caps but he couldn't agree a new contract choosing to be a free agent. I was really after a DR but when an international home player becomes available you have to adjust your plan and I'll now be looking for the two Leung brothers to retrain to provide cover across the defence.

36MatthewPike.png

I'm really struggling to find players that would improve the squad so decide against signing another AMR preferring to rely on cover from the central midfielders but I do find a ST to add depth up front:

Yu Ho Pong (25yo Hong Kong ST) – Unattached

Another journeyman who after starting in amateur football lists Eastern, Happy Valley, Sun Hei, Yuen Long and most recently Tai Chung amongst his former clubs. Although there were arguably better strikers to sign Yu Ho Pong is a well rounded player who should fit well into the F9 role we play up front.

37YuHoPong.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Pre-Season Friendlies

Tour of Macau

Lam Pak (Macau) 2-6 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Kuok lat Kit (12, 88) ; Wong Wei (28), Pike (37), Lee Ka Yiu (48, 65), Lau Cheuk Hin (63), Chan Chun Lok (74)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (9.6)

First friendly of the season and the team already look like they are just going through the motions. A goal down I scream at them from the sidelines which wakes them up and a kick up the arse at haltime sees a frustrating start turn into a dominating performance. Complacency rears its head towards the end with Lam Pak grabbing a second but its a comfortable win as I make a mental note to shout at them before the kickoff next time.

Hong Nam (Macau) 0-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Yu Ho Pong (69, 80)

MOTM: Yu Ho Pong (8.5)

A rotated squad and they start well enough but struggle to create chances. Hong Nam don't do much better which leads to a dull match until changes in the second half. New striker Yu Ho Pong stamps his authority on the game with a well taken brace which is bad news for the other forwards if he can deliver on a regular basis.

Kuan Tai (Macau) 2-0 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Chong Chi Chio (25), Aureo (31)

MOTM: Chong Chi Chio (8.0)

After a dull start we gift the early lead to Kuan Tai when we don't mark at a corner before Park Joo-Woon dropped a weak free kick at Auero's feet. We improve in the second half creating several half chances but the tour ends on a disappointing note.

Colloids (Hong Kong Non-League) 2-7 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Tsui Chun Kit (13), Lok Yiu Cheong (77) ; Lau Cheuk Hin (4, pen 65, 67), Wong Wei (45), Lee Ka Yiu (45), Nakajima-Farran (75), Au Yeung Yiu Chung (82)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (9.7)

The team look much for up for it from the whistle and an early goal sets us on our way. Colloids respond from a corner but we have far too much for them creating lots of chances and taking several for a morale boosting win.

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 2-1 Fukien Athletic Club (Hong Kong Non-League)

Goals: Yu Ho Pong (42, 45) ; Keung Chung Wai (52)

MOTM: Yu Ho Pong (8.8)

A solid first half finishes with a brace from Yu Ho Pong who again delivers when given the chance. Fukien respond after the break scoring from a corner but we control much of the game easing to a win.

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 3-0 Bogang (Chinese Non-League)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (14), Yoshitake (55), Wong Wei (81)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (8.2)

Despite our two big wins in pre-season I think we saved the best overall performance for last. We looked solid at the back despite Bogang testing us and creative going forward taking enough of our chances.

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Preview 2015/16 Season

SUMMARY OF MAIN SQUAD

The squad is much more streamlined as we start the season, the reserves have been cleared out and the youth team will provide cover if we have an injury crisis. I feel we are possibly one player short of an ideal squad but as we only play 22 league games we should have enough. The defence has been strengthened but I'm little concerned we lack quality up front which just wasn't available in home grown players.

Lee Ka Yiu continues as captain with Yoshitake in the vice-captain role.

Goalkeepers

No change from the end of last season with Park Joo-Woon my number 1 with 19yo Law Ka Long the alternative option.

Park Joo-Woon (24yo South Korean GK)

Law Ka Long (19yo Hong Kong GK)

Fullbacks

Deng will face a challenge for the starting role on the left from new signing, Liu while another new signing, Sealy will start on the right with cover provided from DC & DM.

Deng Jinghuang (30yo Hong Kong DL) – 17 caps, 0 goals

Garlock Liu (23yo Hong Kong DL)

Jack Sealy (28yo Hong Kong DR/MRC) – 12 caps, 1 goal

Central Defence

Our third new signing at the back, Matthew Pike should start alongside Park while the two Leung brothers provide cover across the backline.

Park Tae-Hong (24yo South Korean DC)

Matthew Pike (25yo Hong Kong DC) – 4 caps, 0 goals

Leung Nok Hang (20yo Hong Kong DC)

Leung Kwun Chung (23yo Hong Kong DC/DL) – 10 caps, 0 goals

Central Midfield

Just the one change in midfield as new signing Wang Shixin replaces the departed Harada as the starting DM. Yoshitake faces a fight to regain his starting place from Lau Cheuk Hin & Au Yeung Yiu Chung who built such a good partnership last season while Chan Chun Lok will be looking for as much match experience as possible

Tsuyoshi Yoshitake (33yo Japanese AMRC) – Vice Captain

Lau Cheuk Hin (23yo Hong Kong AMC) – 1 cap, 0 goals

Au Yeung Yiu Chung (26yo Hong Kong AMC/AMR, ST) – 19 caps, 4 goals

Wang Shixin (22yo Chinese DM/DC)

Lam Ngai Tong (25yo Hong Kong DM/DR)

Chan Chun Lok (19yo Hong Kong MC)

Wingers

No change in the starting lineup from last season with Lee Ka Yiu on the right and Nakajima-Farran on the left. Youth player Choi Sai Yan is promoted to provide cover on the left while cover on the right comes from central midfield in the shape of Yoshitake or Au Yeung Yiu Chung.

Paris Nakajima-Farran (25yo Canadian ML/DL)

Lee Ka Yiu (23yo Hong Kong MR) - Captain

Choi Sai Yan (17yo Hong Kong AML)

Forwards

Wong Wei & Hui Ka Lok will continue their battle for the starting place while new signing, Yu Ho Pong provides cover.

Wong Wai (22yo Hong Kong ST)

Hui Ka Lok (21yo Hong Kong ST)

Yu Ho Pong (25yo Hong Kong ST)

The board announced their expectations for the season and they are challenging.

Hong Kong First Division: Title Challenge

Hong Kong Challenge Shield: Semi Finals

Hong Kong FA Cup: Semi Finals

Hong Kong First Division Preview

Kitchee are seen as the main threat to South China while the media feel our signings have made us the best of the rest although they also feel that Rangers (HKG) have made a significant improvement. Down at the bottom it should be fairly straight forward with amateur side, Hong Kong FC winning promotion. They should seriously struggle at this level and are odds on to be relegated.

Media Prediction

1st  South China   ***Champions***
2nd  Kitchee Sports Club
3rd  [color="#FF0000"]Yokohama FC (HK)[/color]
4th  Rangers (HKG)
5th  Sun Pegasus FC
6th  Citizen
7th  Eastern Athletic Association
8th  Tai Po FC
9th  Tuen Mun Sports Association
10th Happy Valley
11th Southern District
12th Hong Kong FC   ***Promoted***  

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

August/September 2015

Surprisingly we've had no injuries in pre-season but new left back Garlock Liu missed all of it with a sports hernia so starts the season a long way off being match fit. Then on the eve of our opening match:

Training Injury: Law Ka Long (GK) – Out for two months with a hernia.

Sunday 30th August 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (1/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) 4-1 Southern District

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (38), Yu Ho Pong (76), Yoshitake (82, 90) ; Chan Yiu Lun (67)

MOTM: Yoshitake (9.3)

Milestone: Jack Sealy – Debut for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Matthew Pike – Debut for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Wang Shixin – Debut for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Yu Ho Pong – Debut & 1st goal for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Tsuyoshi Yoshitake - 300th Career League Appearance + 50th Career League Goal

Attendance: 268

After the complancy that appeared from time to time in pre-season I'm surprised to see the team make a confident, professional start. Despite a couple of missed chances they keep up the pressure and are rewarded when Lee Ka Yiu overlaps at the far post to volley in. It takes Southern District 67mins to manage a shot on goal and when they do its from a controversial penalty as Park Tae-Hong sees red. Park Joo-Woon makes the save but Chan Yiu Lun makes up for the miss by tapping in the rebound. I make changes and despite being down to ten men the team continue to control the match with new striker, Yu Ho Pong coming off the bench to fire us back in the lead. Yoshitake completes the rout slotting in a cut back before lifting a free kick over the wall in injury time. A top notch performance and if we keep it up all year we might well be in the title hunt.

International News

The main squad have a friendly against Singapore and the progress we have made is reflected as seven Yokohama FC (HK) players are called up:

Garlock Liu (DL), Deng Jianhuang (DRL), Jack Sealy (DR, MRC), Matthew Pike (DC), Au Yeung Yiu Chung (AMCR), Lee Ka Yiu (AMR) & Wong Wei (ST)

We also have three representatives in the U21s who have friendlies against Oman U21s & Maldives U21s:

Leung Nok Hang (DC), Chan Chun Lok (MC) & Hui Ka Lok (ST)

Sunday 20th September 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (2/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (7th) 2-2 Happy Valley (4th)

Goals: Deng Jinghuang (20), Lau Cheuk Hin (90) ; Fabio (33), Chow Cheuk Fung (56)

MOTM: Chow Cheuk Fung (8.1) (Happy Valley)

Attendance: 325

While the other teams have been playing games we've nearly had three weeks off for some reason which does nothing for the squads match fitness. We again start well but Happy Valley provide a sterner test, especially with their no nonsense tackling which breaks up play but gives away several set pieces. Deng heads us into the lead from a corner but Happy Valley are level with their first shot of the match when Fabio heads in a right wing cross. We fall apart in the second half when Chow Cheuk Fung is left unmarked to volley in at the far post but substitutions get us back in the match and just when I think we've lost Lau Cheuk Hin breaks the offside trap, firing in to earn us a deserved point.

Friday 25th September 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (3/22)

South China (2nd) 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (6th)

Goals: Nconco (71) ; Deng Jinghuang (52)

MOTM: Deng Jinghuang (7.4)

A quick look at the South China teamsheet and its clear we aren't the only team that strengthened over the off-season. Both teams start well but despite South China controlling possession they fail to register a shot. We don't fair much better although Lee Ka Yiu finds the wrong side of the post from the best chance of the first half. For the second match running Deng breaks the deadlock heading in a corner at the near post but this just fires South China up. We are under pressure for the rest of the match and a scramble from a corner sees them equalise as an even game ends in a draw.

Tuesday 29th September 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (4/22)

Sun Pegasus (11th) 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (8th)

Goals: Randjelovic (6) ; Nakajima-Farran (37)

MOTM: Nakajima-Farran (7.2)

Milestone: Lau Cheuk Hin - 100th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Garlock Liu – Debut for Yokohama FC (HK)

Sun Pegasus force me to tinker with the formation as they play with three strikers. Wang gets a key role as I switch him to halfback and give him a man marking role on last season's top scorer, Rascic. We have a mountain to climb when Randjelovic heads in a corner but the team respond well taking control of the match. We equalise when a long shot is palmed away, Lee Ka Yiu squaring for Nakajima-Farran to tap in but despite several chances in the second half to put the game to bed we have to again settle for a draw. A good performance non the less and the fans might not recognise it but Wang Shixin did a great job keeping Rascic quiet.

Player News: Deng Jinghuang & Tsuyoshi Yoshitake are both named in the “Hong Kong First Division Team of the Month”

38LeagueTableSeptember2015.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

October 2015

International News

Senior Squad

We have six in the main squad for friendlies against Cambodia & Qatar:

Deng Jinghuang (DRL), Garlock Liu (DL), Jack Sealy (DR/MRC), Matthew Pike (DC), Lee Ka Yiu (MR) & Wong Wei (ST)

U21s

Three make the squad for friendlies against Palestine U21s & Jordan U21s:

Law Ka Long (GK), Leung Nok Hang (DC) & Chan Chun Lok (MC)

U19s

Just the one call up for home & away friendlies against Yemen U19s:

Choi Sai Yan (ML)

Sunday 4th October 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (5/22)

Hong Kong FC (2nd) 1-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (7th)

Goals: Hampshire (40) ; Lee Ka Yiu (48), Lau Cheuk Hin (72)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (7.6)

Milestone: Lee Ka Yiu - 50th League Appearance for Yokohama FC (HK)

Far from being the leagues whipping boys HKFC have already won three this season and I'm taking them seriously. They pack the midfield and control possession as we are on the back foot from the start. Hampshire gives them the lead just before the break but we are still in the game and I get a chance to switch things round. We take a more aggressive, get in their face, direct approach in the second half and it pays off with Lee Ka Yiu soon levelling the score. We also turn possession around and start creating chances as HKFC become more concerned with defending than atatcking. A deep cross from Sealy finds the run of Lau Cheuk Hin who sidefoots us into the lead and we see out the match for a solid win.

Reserve Match Injury: Hui Ka Lok (ST) – Out for 4/5 weeks with a groin strain

Saturday 17th October 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (6/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd) 1-2 Tuen Mun (1st)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (78) ; Chao Pengfei (2), Park Joo-Woon (og 79)

MOTM: Lai Yiu Cheong (7.7) (Tuen Mun)

Attendance: 266

An early long ball sees Tuen Mun take the lead as Pike misses the header but we settle down and take control of the match. Tuen Mun always offer a threat but we have more than enough chances to get back in the game. We finally do when Lee Ka Yiu finds the far corner before we shoot ourselves in the foot when a cross causes confusion at the back. A really disappointing defeat given how much many chances we created and wasted.

Match Injury: Yu Ho Pong – Out for 9/12 days with a stubbed toe

Friday 23rd October 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (7/22)

Rangers (HGK) (11th) 2-4 Yokohama FC (HK) (4th)

Goals: Daniel (34), Wellingsson (41) ; Lee Ka Yiu (22), Park Tae-Hong (61), Nakajima-Farran (77), Lau Cheuk Hin (90)

MOTM: Nakajima-Farran (8.1)

Milestone: Garlock Liu - 50th Career League Appearance

Rangers are struggling this season but they are a team that pack the midfield and make it difficult. Patience pays off for us though as Sealy eventually finds space on the right, crossing for Lee Ka Yiu to finish at the near post. Rangers respond though with Wellingsson proving to be a thorn in our side first crossing for Daniel before volleying in a right wing cross himself. A more direct approach in the second half sees us in control of the match but it takes Park sliding in at the far post when a corner isn't cleared to level it up. As Rangers tire we start to pick them apart with Nakajima-Farran & Lau Cheuk Hin both finding the net when played through.

Saturday 31st October 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (8/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (4th) 2-0 Kitchee (5th)

Goals: Yoshitake (20, pen 57)

MOTM: Yoshitake (8.8)

Milestone: Lee Ka Yiu - 100th Career League Appearance

Attendance: 352

I'm expecting a tough game and Kitchee bring a narrow formation to test us but that only serves to give us space out wide. We only manage three shots in the first half which is three more than Kitchee but one is a direct freekick which Yoshitake curls into the top corner. Kitchee offer a bit more threat in the second half in the shape of a couple of half chances but when a scramble after corner results in a controversial penalty the match is all but over. A good solid win with the team never really getting out of third gear.

Player News: Deng Jinghuang & Tsuyoshi Yoshitake are both named in the “Hong Kong First Division Team of the Month” for the second month in a row.

39LeagueTableOctober2015.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

November 2015

Thursday 5th November 2015 – Hong Kong First Division (9/22)

Tai Po (4th) 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd)

Goals: Fong Pak Lun (64) ; Nakajima-Farran (65)

The first half follows a pattern as we have possession while Tai Po manage a few shots but its no surprise to see it level at the break. As complacency rears its head in the second half Tai Po start to take control and Fong Pak Lun comes back to haunt us getting on the end of a cross. Nakajima-Farran responds immediately at the second attempt and suddenly both defences start to fall apart. Wong Wei wastes several chances for us while Tai Po fair no better as both teams are forced to settle for a draw.

International News

Senior Team

Friendlies against Gibraltar & San Marino are planned and we dominate the squad with eight call-ups:

Deng Jinghuang (DRL), Jack Sealy (DR/MRC), Leung Kwun Chung (DLC), Leung Nok Hang (DC), Matthew Pike (DC), Lau Cheuk Hin (MC), Lee Ka Yiu (MR) & Wong Wei (ST)

U21s

We have two call-ups for friendlies against San Marino U21s & Northern Mariana U21s:

Law Ka Long (GK) & Chan Chun Lok (MC)

U19s

While the other teams have friendlies the U19s will be attempting to qualify for the 2016 Asian U19 Championship finals in Qatar. They have been drawn in Group E along with Brunei, China, Chinese Taipei, Japan & The Philippines. With the top two going through China & Japan are odds on favourites although Brunei & The Philippines also made the finals last time round. We have two in the squad:

Mok Chin To (GK) & Choi Sai Yan (ML)

The team gave a good account of themselves but as expected China & Japan cruised into the finals.

40AsianU19Qualifying.png

Sunday 8th November 2015 – Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield (First Round) (Neutral Ground)

Hong Kong FC (Hong Kong First Division) 0-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Wong Wei (4)

MOTM: Pike (7.3)

Both teams rotate their squads to give some of the fringe players a chance which sees Choi Sai Yan start on the left for us while I decide to see how the DR re-training is going for the younger Yeung brother. Its Wong Wei though who finally finds his shooting boots turning his marker and firing in from the edge of the box. We continue to control the rest of the match creating several half chances while HKFC's only real chance comes late in the game, Pike on hand to get a last ditch block on the line as we cruise into the quarter finals.

Training Injury: Law Ka Long – Out for 6/8 days with a dead leg

International News

Senior Squad

Its the Qualifying stage for the 2016 East Asian Cup and Hong Kong are in a group of five with Mongolia, North Korea, Guam & Chinese Taipei. Only the group winner goes to the finals joining China, Japan & South Korea. We have six in the squad:

Deng Jinghuang (DRL), Jack Sealy (DR/MRC), Matthew Pike (DC), Leung Kwun Chung (DC/DL), Lee Ka Yiu (MR) & Wong Wei (ST)

They have a decent campaign but North Korea comfortably qualify as expected.

432016EastAsianCupQual.png

41LeagueTableNovember2015.png

Well, some of these ex-pat Brits can be pretty good :D An old school friend of mine played for Aston Villa in a sevens tournament early last summer. I think it was an academy team that had no fit keepers available, so they asked a local side (I think it was HKFC) who they had links with if they could spare anyone so my friend played in goal for them in the tournament, and as I understand it he did a very good job and they ended up winning the thing against a bunch of local sides as well as youth teams from a few other British and European clubs. Who says Joe Hart hasn't got any competition? :D

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

December 2015

Tuesday 1st December 2015 – Hong Kong League Cup (Main Stage Second Round) (Neutral Ground)

Sun Pegasus (Hong Kong First Division) 0-6 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Chan Chun Lok (3, 73), Choi Sai Yan (52), Yoshitake (78, 80, 83)

MOTM: Yoshitake (9.7)

Milestone: Lam Chi Ho - Career Debut

Milestone: Lau Chun Wai – Career Debut

Its a good job the board aren't bothered about the League Cup given we have several players away with the Hong Kong squad for the East Asian Cup qualifiers. We manage to scrape together a team with several youth players on the bench. Shixin is back on man marking duty controlling Rascic as Sun Pegasus bring their 343 formation. We make a good start when Chan Chun Lok confidently slots in when played through which sets the tone for the match. We control possession and double the lead after the break when Choi Sai Yan arrives late at the far post to guide in. With Sun Pegasus pushing forward we pick them apart on the break with Chan Chun Lok getting a second before Yoshitake completes a five minute hattrick to send us into the next round.

Sunday 6th December 2015 – Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield (Quarter Final) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 1-0aet Kitchee (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Choi Sai Yan (102)

MOTM: Ko Kyung-Joon (8.3) (Kitchee)

When we played Kitchee last month they were solid defensively but lacked a cutting edge going forward and this match is no different. We control possession but struggle to create chances in the final third while Kitchee offer very little in attack. It takes us 65 minutes to create a half chance so its no surprise when the match to extra time. There is just the one real chance in the game and our young left winger smashes it in for a good win.

Match Injury: Hui Ka Lok – Out for 6/9 days with a gashed arm.

Injury: Matthew Pike – Sent home with a cold.

Player News: Tsuyoshi Yoshitake informs me he intends to retire at the end of the season.

Saturday 26th December 2015 – Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield (Semi Final) (Neutral Ground)

Eastern (Hong Kong First Division) 1-2aet Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Wong Chun Hin (74) ; Yu Ho Pong (14), Wong Wei (104)

MOTM: Wong Chun Hin (7.3) (Eastern)

Our players are back from international duty but after the recent good performances the fringe players also deserve to keep their places which leaves me a headache. A mixed team heads out on the pitch and although we don't do a great job of possession we create chances with Yu Ho Pong heading in a left wing cross to give us the lead. Eastern offer little coming forward but our failure to put the game out of sight gives them hope. When their chance arrives in the second half Park is on hand to push wide and I think we are safe but a shot from the edge of the box sends us into extra time. I change things round as we look for a goal but it comes back to bite us as first Pike & then Garlock Liu are carried off in extra time reducing us to nine men. Before Eastern can take advantage Wong Wei finds the corner from distance and a backs against the wall performance sees us scrape into our first final.

Match Injury: Garlock Liu – Out for 6/8 days with a dead leg.

44LeagueTableDecember2015.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

January 2016

Manager News: The month starts with a phone call out of the blue and a trip back home to attend an interview.

45BerwickInterviewoffer.png

Before anything goes further Yokohama FC (HK) propose talks and I agree to stay in Hong Kong withdrawing any interest in the Berwick job.

Player News: Three South Korean clubs make offers for Park Joo-Woon (GK) but I have no intention of selling, especially for nothing.

Manager News: Sun Pegasus sack their manager and I'm installed as 2nd favourite by the media

Sunday 3rd January 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (10/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (4th) 1-1 Citizen (6th)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (13) ; Risser (55)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (8.3)

Attendance: 295

Back to league action and Citizen bring an aggressive game which sees several fouls early on. One of them is costly though as Lee Ka Yiu curls a freekick past the keeper. Risser levels the match with a rocket from the edge of the box after a corner is cleared which sees an even match end in a draw. The hard tackles did take their toll though with several players carrying knocks at the end of the match.

Match Injury: Au Yeung Yiu Chung – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted knee

Match Injury: Jack Sealy – Out for 2 weeks with a bruised thigh

Sunday 10th January 2016 – Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield (FINAL) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 3-0 Southern District (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Wong Wei (20), Lee Ka Yiu (51, 63)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (9.1)

A first final for myself & the club while for Southern District a second after finishing runners up to Citizen two years ago in this competition. We have two missing through injury but Southern District have more so its no surprise that we take control of the match. There are fireworks from the start when the referee gives a harsh penalty for a challenge on the edge of the box but Yoshitake sees his shot pushed onto the post. Its the sort of chance that makes you think the game isn't going to go your way but Wong Wei settles the nerves when Nakajima-Farran picks out his run. Any chance Southern District thought they had during the break disappeared when their goalkeeper sliced a clearance to Lee Ka Yiu to double the lead. Whilst that one was a gift his second was exceptional breaking down the left from a corner, outpacing one man, cutting inside a second before drilling a shot into the far corner to complete the rout and lift our first trophy.

Saturday 16th January 2016 – Hong Kong League Cup (Main Stage, Quarter Final) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 1-2 Southern District (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Chan Chun Lok (54) ; Chow Ka Wa (31, 52)

MOTM: Chow Ka Wa (8.8) (Southern District)

For the second match in a row we face Southern District in a cup match at a neutral ground but this time a trophy isn't on the line so its a chance for some of the fringe players to get some gametime. The game follows the same pattern as last week, we dominate possession creating several half chances but this time we get kicked in the teeth when a long clearance bounces all the way through to Chow Ka Wa who slots under the keeper. The second half continues in the same manner with Chow Ka Wa arriving at the far post to again score against the run of play. Chan Chun Lok gets us back in the match with a shot from distance but Wong Wei sees our best chance saved late on as we slip to defeat. Not sure whether to be happy or disappointed about this match, 20+ shots, 11 half chances, one clear chance while Southern District had three shots & two clear chances but at least we get a second chance at the trophy.

Injury: Garlock Liu – Out for 6/8 days with food poisoning.

Sunday 24th January 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (11/22)

Eastern (12th) 0-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (6th)

Goals: Wong Wei (32)

MOTM: Chan Chun Lok (7.2)

Milestone: Park Tae-Hong - 50th League Appearance for Yokohama FC (HK)

We've had a few too many draws in the league for my liking so I'm keen to get back to winning ways against struggling Eastern. Its a rough game and after Eastern set the standard my lads don't hold back either giving as good as they get. The only bright spot for much of the game is Wong Wei's looping header over the keeper as both teams struggle to even get shots away. Hard tackles & yellow cards eventually take their toll with both teams picking up knocks but its Eastern that see red, twice. With them down to nine men we take control and start creating some late chances, no second goal but one proves enough to seal the win.

Match Injury: Wong Wei – Out for 3/4 weeks with a gashed leg.

Match Injury: Lee Ka Yiu – Out for 4/5 weeks with a thigh strain.

Saturday 30th January 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (12/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (2nd) 6-0 Sun Pegasus (10th)

Goals: Yoshitake (5, 19), Jinghuang (20, 37), Chan Chun Lok (51), Lau Cheuk Hin (85)

MOTM: Yoshitake (9.5)

Milestone: Lau Cheuk Hin - 50th League Appearance for Yokohama FC (HK)

Attendance: 349

Sun Pegasus seem to be learning 343 doesn't work as they switch to a more standard 442 but it doesn't help them. Two clinical finishes from Yoshitake followed by Jinghuang heading in a corner puts the match out of reach in the first twenty minutes. We control the rest of the game, creating several chances and equal the 6-0 scoreline we got in the League Cup last time we played them.

Player News: Park Joo-Woon, Deng Jinghuang & Tsuyoshi Yoshitake all make the “Hong Kong First Division Team of the Month”

46LeagueTableJanuary2016.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

February 2016

Thursday 4th February 2016 – Hong Kong League Cup (Loser Stage Third Round) (Neutral Ground)

Tuen Mun (Hong Kong First Division) 1-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Chao Pengfei (13) ; Choi Sai Yan (36), Hui Ka Lok (47)

MOTM: Choi Sai Yan (7.9)

As Kitchee & Southern District compete in the main semi final we drop into the loser stage and once again find ourselves three matches from the final. I rotate the squad, perhaps a bit too much as Tuen Mun make the better start and soon have the lead. The fringe players blow out the cobwebs though and soon get the passes flowing. Our U19 star leads the charge heading in a deep cross before the break before squaring for Hui Ka Lok to tap in afterwards. This proves to be the key moment as Tuen Mun rarely threaten while we look the more likely to add to our lead.

Sunday 7th February 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (13/22)

Southern District (4th) 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (2nd)

Goals: Wong Yim Kwan (29) ; Sealy (86)

MOTM: Sealy (7.4)

Milestone: Jack Sealy – First Goal for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Paris Nakajima-Farran - 50th Career League Appearance

Southern are having a good season and confidently take control of possession but we threaten the goal more early on. Wong Yim Kwan breaks the deadlock when a right wing cross picks him out in a crowded penalty area and that seems to be the key moment of the match as we continue to shoot blanks. We press them more in the second half but its just one of those days when we can't hit the target. With time running out its going to take a slice of luck for us to score today and we get it when a mishit cross from Sealy flies past the keeper to earn us a point.

Thursday 11th February 2016 – Hong Kong League Cup (Loser Stage, Fourth Round) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 3-1 Rangers (HKG) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Yu Ho Pong (45), Yoshitake (pen 67), Hui Ka Lok (88) ; Wellingsson (76)

MOTM: Hui Ka Lok (8.0)

Four teams left in the League Cup but we are still two games away from the final. A mixed team takes the field as Rangers pack the midfield keeping it tight. With few chances being created the first goal is key and it goes our way when Yu Ho Pong climbs the highest to force a cross in just before the break. The game opens up in the second half, especially after Garlock Liu picks up a second yellow to reduce us to 10 men. A scramble in the box gives us breathing space as Yoshitake slots in a controversial penalty and its needed when Wellingsson pulls one back. With Rangers pushing forwards looking for an equaliser we catch them on the break with Hui Ka Lok calmly placing the ball wide of the keeper to kill the match off.

Sunday 14th February 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (14/22)

Happy Valley (10th) 2-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd)

Goals: Akosah (3, 22) ; Lau Cheuk Hin (6)

MOTM: Akosah (8.8) (Happy Valley)

We are doing well in the league but South China are starting to pull away and we need a win to keep in touch. Happy Valley catch us cold at the start though with Fabio cutting the ball back for Akosah to slot in. We quickly settle with Lau Cheuk Hin pulling us level but an exquisite curled shot from Akosah puts them back in the lead as we fall apart. Despite an earful at halftime and several half chances created we never look like getting back in the match slipping to a frustrating defeat.

Thursday 18th February 2016 – Hong Kong League Cup (Loser Stage, Fifth Round) (Neutral Ground)

Kitchee (Hong Kong First Division) 0-3 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Lau Cheuk Hin (28, 30), Chan Chun Lok (90)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (8.8)

Southern District have made their second cup final of the season and with our league hopes more or less gone we are looking to join them. We seem to have Kitchee's number this season and cope well with their narrow formation. After a nervous start Lau Cheuk Hin sets us on our way first blasting in when a corner is pulled back to him on the edge of the box before scoring a complete fluke, playing a pass in to Hui Ka Lok at the near post who completely misses the ball which confuses the Kitchee keeper. We look much more settled in the second half and back to our passing game which sees Chan Chun Lok add a third in injury time to set up a repeat of the Challenge Shield final.

Saturday 27th February 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (15/22)

Tuen Mun (6th) 0-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (4th)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (69, 87)

Milestone: Au Yeung Yiu Chung - 50th League Appearance for Yokohama FC (HK)

Lee Ka Yiu & Wong Wei are both back from injury and boy do we need our captain as we've looked out of sorts without him. We start well and win an early penalty when Lee Ka Yiu drives into the box. Lee Cheuk Hin sees it saved though and confidence seems to drain from the team withdrawing back into the can't be arsed attitude they had in pre-season. The defence do well though keeping it tight and Nakajima-Farran fires us into the lead when played through. Suddenly they are once again a different team controlling possession and making Tuen Mun chase the game. Nakajima-Farran completes a brace on the break as we ease to victory.

Player News: As the month comes to an end we get a transfer offer out of the blue for Hui Ka Lok - £6.5k (+£1k for 10 goals) from Qingdao Hainiu (China). Its a tough choice, on one hand we don't need the money and would be leaving ourselves a little short up front during the run-in but on the other its a good offer for a third choice striker who doesn't really have a future at the club.

I attempt to negotiate it up to £12k and Qingdao Hainiu choose to withdraw which is probably for the best.

Player News: Deng Jinghuang, Jack Sealy & Tsuyoshi Yoshitake all make the “Hong Kong First Division Team of the Month”

47LeagueTableFebruary2016.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

March 2016

Saturday 5th March 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (16/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd) 1-0 Hong Kong FC (8th)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (55)

Attendance: 279

South China might be just about out of sight but there is still an Asian Confederation Cup place to fight for and we need a win to keep pace with Citizen. With HKFC packing the midfield its a tough match and we struggle to create chances while HKFC are limited to a few shots from distance. We get the breakthrough early in the second half when a cross come shot from Nakajima-Farran flies in off the keeper and we grind out the rest of the match to pick up the points.

Tuesday 8th March 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (17/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd) 6-1 South China (1st)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (3), Jinghuang (37), Sealy (45), Yu Ho Pong (58), Lee Ka Yiu (65), Au Yeung Yiu Chung (71) ; Park Tae-Hong (og 54)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (9.4)

Attendance: 468

Citizen drew with South China in their last match and if we can get a win here we'll be back in touching distance making it a three way fight for the title. We get off to the perfect start when Nakajima-Farran finds the net with a hopeful shot and settle quickly into a passing game. Jinghuang heads in a corner to make it two before a deep cross from Sealy flies over the keeper just before the break. South China respond in the second half and Park Joo-Woon makes a couple of good saves before a corner is forced in off Park Tae-Hong. Yu Ho Pong quickly replies and South China collapse as we cruise to an impressive win.

Sunday 13th March 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (18/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd) 5-2 Rangers (HKG) (12th)

Goals: Wong Wei (25, 26, pen 81), Chan Chun Lok (31), Lee Ka Yiu (72) ; Daniel (77, 90)

MOTM: Wong Wei (9.5)

Attendance: 363

Five games to go and three points cover the top four with Kitchee just about in touch as well. Home to the team at the bottom is a must win match if we want to lift the title but Rangers make it difficult keeping men behind the ball. Wong Wei breaks the deadlock finishing off a good passing move with a shot from the edge of the box and its two when he again finds the net from distance soon after. Chan Chun Lok slots in a third to kill the match off and settle any doubts I have over Yoshitake retiring at the end of the season. We add two late goals while complacency rears its head allowing Daniel to grab a couple of consolations but its a comfortable win to keep the pressure on the rest.

International News

U21s

Just the one friendly against Oman U21s and two make the squad:

Law Ka Long (GK) & Chan Chun Lok (MC)

U19s

One friendly against Northern Mariana U19s and two get called up:

Mok Chin To (GK) & Choi Sai Yan (ML)

Manager News: I'm seemingly getting noticed in Hong Kong as another invite to a job interview arrives in my inbox. Sutton Utd are a semi-pro club sitting 6th in the Skrill South with ok finances. Its always good to get offers but Yokohama FC (HK) are a pro club with good finances and a good chance of lifting trophies which means the offer is rejected.

48SuttonJobInterview.png

Sunday 27th March 2016 – Hong Kong League Cup (FINAL) (Neutral Ground)

Southern District (Hong Kong First Division) 1-3 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Yu Kwok Ho (30) ; Yoshitake (49), Yu Ho Pong (55), Lau Cheuk Hin (78)

MOTM: Yu Ho Pong (8.5)

The second Cup final of the season and its a repeat of the Shield final as we again face Southern District. The rules are a bit different though with it being a two chance competition, Southern came through the main stage and if they win or draw they lift the trophy. We can't claim the prize today though, if we win we come back next week and do it all again in a winner takes all Grand Final. Several of the fringe players got us here so its only fair that some of them get a chance. We start well controlling possession but Southern District make it hard for us and when a half chance falls their way its taken. I demand more at halftime with Yu Ho Pong replacing the injured Wong Wei and he proves to be the catalyst in the second half as we create better chances. Yoshitake places wide of the keeper from distance to get us back in the match before Yu Ho Pong loses his marker to slot us into the lead. With Southern District forced to come out and play the normally reliable Lee Ka Yiu should have have killed it off but Lau Cheuk Hin comes off the bench and does running beyond the defence to take us to a Grand Final next week.

Match Injury: Wong Wei – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted knee.

Player News: The squad are all over the awards this month.

Lee Ka Yiu is named “Hong Kong First Division Player of the Month” while Wong Wei claimed the “Hong Kong First Division Goal of the Month”

Five also make the “Hong Kong First Division Team of the Month” (Jack Sealy, Deng Jinghuang, Park Tae-Hong, Lee Ka Yiu & Tsuyoshi Yoshitake)

49LeagueTableMarch2016.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

April 2016

Saturday 2nd April 2016 – Hong Kong League Cup (GRAND FINAL) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 2-2aet Pens 10-11 Southern District (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Hui Ka Lok (20), Yoshitake (110) ; Yu Kwok Ho (65), Park Tae-Hong (og 114)

MOTM: Lopez (7.3) (Southern District)

No more second chances this week its winner takes all even if it goes to penalties. We dominate the match from the whistle but after a couple of missed chances I'm thinking it may not be our day. Hui Ka Lok settles the nerves turning and shooting from the edge of the box while it takes Southern District 65 minutes to even fashion a shot, when they do Yo Kwok Ho steps past the keeper and taps in. Both teams tire in extra time and I think its over when a Choi Sai Yan shots rattles the bar with Yoshitake on hand to nod in but a drilled cross somehow finds its way in off Park Tae-Hong to send us to penalties. Leung Nok Hang sees his saved as we somehow snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Match Injury: Hui Ka Lok – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted knee

Match Injury: Lee Ka Yiu – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted knee

Manager News: The board open negotiations on a new one year contract which sees a 20% pay rise for me. New contract: £2,700 a month until June 2017.

Injury: Paris Nakajima-Farran – Out for 6/8 days with food poisoning

Training Injury: Leung Nok Hang – Out for 4/5 weeks with a chest injury

Player News: The five man shortlist is announced for the “Hong Kong Footballer of the Year” and Tsuyoshi Yoshitake is on it.

and we also have one player on the shortlist for the “Hong Kong Young Player of the Year” - Lee Ka Yiu.

Sunday 10th April 2016 – Hong Kong FA Cup (Quarter Final) (Neutral Ground)

Eastern (Hong Kong First Division) 1-3 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Xu Deshuai (53) ; Yoshitake (13), Au Yeung Yiu Chung (39), Yu Ho Pong (90)

MOTM: Au Yeung Yiu Chung (8.3)

The cup games keep coming but injuries have reduced down to the bare minimum with a couple of youth players on the bench. We dominate the first with goals from Yoshitake & Au Yeung Yiu Chung giving us a comfortable lead. Eastern respond in the second half and pull a goal back as we look a little shaky at the back. Park Joo-Woon keeps us ahead making a couple of good saves before Yu Ho Pong ends Eastern's hopes in injury time on the break.

Saturday 16th April 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (19/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (2nd) 4-1 Tai Po (7th)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (12), Lau Cheuk Hin (51), Yu Ho Pong (81), Yoshitake (83) ; Lui Chi Hing (88)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (8.9)

Attendance: 332

We are looking for a win to put the pressure on the rest at the top of the league and we make a good start when Nakajima-Farran finds half a yard in the box to fire past the keeper. As the half goes on Tai Po come more into the game and we are under pressure before the break. Lau Cheuk Hin gives us breathing space when he drills in a cut back and the match settles down with the defences looking comfortable. When Tai Po look to push forward in the final stages we punish them with two more goals before Lui Chi Hing gets a consolation with a direct freekick.

Match Injury: Tsuyoshi Yoshitake – Out for 3/4 weeks with a gashed leg.

Youth Intake

16 players join the youth team including 14yo Shun'ya Hayashi from Japan. Two of the group standout and will hope to make the first team in the future. First is 15yo AMC Siu Yat Ming who needs to work hard on his technical skills while my AM feels 15yo GK Ng Yiu Fai is the pick of the group.

50YouthIntake2016.png

51SiuYatMing.png

52NgYiuFai.png

Saturday 23rd April 2016 – Hong Kong FA Cup (Semi-Final) (Neutral Ground)

Citizen (Hong Kong First Division) 0-1aet Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (98)

MOTM: Law Ka Long (7.5)

Injuries and suspensions means we are down to the bare bones with several youth players on the bench. Both sides find it hard going as they are reduced to long shots for much of the match. A second yellow in the second half for Garlock Liu reduces us to 10 men giving Citizen the impetus but when their chance arrives via a poor backpass Law Ka Long pushes wide. With both teams tiring extra time is a dull affair with the occasional set piece offering any sort of goal threat. Luck seems to be shining on us though as a deep freekick creates a little bit of pinball in the box and Nakajima-Farran nods in as we make our third cup final of the season.

Saturday 30th April 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (20/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (2nd) 3-0 Eastern (12th)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (8, 51), Yu Ho Pong (83)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (8.7)

Attendance: 324

The cup runs have given us games in hand and four points from our last three matches should be enough to see us lift the title. With injuries starting to clear up this is the game I want three points from and we have the lead early when Wong Wei's shot is palmed away with Lee Ka Yiu first to react slotting in. Nerves & complacency rear their head and we aren't at our best but Eastern offer little coming forward. A direct freekick from Lee Ka Yiu just after the break gives us a cushion before Yu Ho Pong heads in a right wing cross late on to wrap up a solid win.

Match Injury: Lee Ka Yiu – Out for 6/7 weeks with a groin strain.

Player News: Lau Cheuk Hin wins the “Hong Kong First Division Player of the Month” award.

While six are named in the “Hong Kong First Division Team of the Month” (Park Joo-Woon, Jack Sealy, Deng Jinghuang, Park Tae-Hong, Paris Nakajima-Farran & Lau Cheuk Hin).

53LeagueTableApril2016.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

May 2016

Tuesday 3rd May 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (21/22)

Kitchee (4th) 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (1st)

Goals: Kaya (57) ; Yu Ho Pong (43)

MOTM: Park Tae-Hong (7.4)

We've hit the top of the league at the ideal time and with other teams only having one match left one point is enough to seal the title. With games coming thick and fast injuries are still causing us a problem as I'm forced to shuffle the team with a couple of players in unfamiliar roles. Kitchee have given up on their narrow formation but that doesn't stop us controlling the early stages of the match. A fast break sees Park Joo-Woon pulls off a good save as nerves start to appear in the team. There are few chances in the match and I'm pleased that the first goal goes our way when Yu Ho Pong breaks the offside trap firing past the keeper into the far corner. Kitchee respond after the break through a direct freekick and we shut up shop keeping it tight at the back and playing on the break. With neither side really threatening its no surprise that the game ends in a draw which sees us lift the title as our head to head record against South China is better.

Saturday 7th May 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (22/22)

Citizen (3rd) 1-3 Yokohama FC (HK) (1st)

Goals: Yu Wing Yin (24) ; Lau Cheuk Hin (3, 44), Choi Sai Yan (33)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (8.8)

Not much rest for the squad but with the title wrapped up I can afford to rotate. Lau Cheuk Hin was rested for the Kitchee match and its done him good as he runs the midfield showing a clinical edge scoring twice and being involved in the buildup to the Choi Sai Yan goal. With a comfortable lead we shut the match down in the second half and we seem to be getting used to doing it as we cruise to victory.

Training Injury: Hui Ka Lok – Out for 5/6 weeks with a back strain

Training Injury: Chan Chun Lok – Out for 5/6 months with a torn calf muscle

Sunday 15th May 2016 – Hong Kong FA Cup (FINAL)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 4-0 Sun Pegasus (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (54, 57), Yu Ho Pong (72), Leung Kwun Chung (89)

MOTM: Nakajima-Farran (9.2)

The last match of a fantastic season and our third cup final sees us field a strong team. Sun Pegasus don't manage a shot in the first half while for all our possession we also struggle to create chances. A second yellow for Garlock Liu at the beginning of the second half opens the game up and its Nakajima-Farran who takes the game by the scruff of the neck driving at the Sun Pegasus defence. Two good runs, two clinical finishes and Sun Pegasus's heads drop as we control possession. Yu Ho Pong turns and fires in a third before Leung Kwun Chung caps off the season with a near post header as complete a treble.

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

2015/16 Season Review

Hong Kong First Division

At one stage South China looked to be well on their way to a 42nd title but winning just two of their last seven games saw them bottle it as we recovered from an average start to finish strongly and lift a first title. Kitchee, as the media expected, also finished towards the top but were just off the pace throughout the season while Citizen impressed before losing third place on the final day. At the bottom amateur side Hong Kong FC surprised everyone by making a strong start before eventually fading away into midtable leaving two underperforming teams to battle out the relegation place. Rangers (HKG) claimed a win on the final day to overhaul Eastern and send them into the second division.

The media saw us as title contenders at the start of the season but I wasn't as convinced. We dropped several points early on but after Xmas we hit a good run of form and looked unbeatable at stages during the run in. We finished higher than the media prediction of 3rd and the board were understandably delighted that we won the title.

54LeagueTableEnd201516.png

Southern District & ourselves dominated the cups this season but no-one could have guessed that when we lined up against each other in the first final of the year. Both teams had close games in the rounds leading to the final but we had too much for Southern District as we lifted the trophy for the first time which delighted the board.

55Shield2016.png

Hong Kong League Cup

Southern District beat us in the semi finals of the main stage before going on to beat Kitchee in the final of the main stage to reach the final. We beat Rangers (HKG) & Kitchee in the loser stage to once again set up a cup final against Southern District but this time it was Southern District who lifted the trophy for the first time.

Hong Kong FA Cup

It was really close to being a Southern District/Yokohama FC (HK) final once again but Sun Pegasus had other ideas beating Southern District in the semi finals. We had too much for them in the final though as we lifted the trophy for the first time.

56FACup2016.png

Awards

Hong Kong Footballer of the Year: Nconco (25yo Guinea-Bissau ST) (South China)

Hong Kong Fans Player of the Year: Lee Ka Yiu (24yo Hong Kong AMR) (Yokohama FC (HK))

1st Nconco (25yo Guinea-Bissau ST) (South China) – 15 goals in 16 apps

2nd Caleb Ekwenugo (27yo Nigerian ST) (Kitchee) – 13 goals in 18 apps

3rd Chao Pengfei (28yo Hong Kong ST) (Tuen Mun) – 13 goals in 22 apps

1st Lee Ka Yiu (24yo Hong Kong AMR) (Yokohama FC (HK))

2nd Wong Chi Kit (16yo Hong Kong MR) (Hong Kong FC)

Hong Kong Manager of the Year: Carl Cougar (Yokohama FC (HK))

Hong Kong First Division Fair Play Award: Hong Kong FC

Five of the squad are named in the “Team of the Year” - Deng Jinghuang, Park Tae-Hong, Lee Ka Yiu, Paris Nakajima-Farran & Tsuyoshi Yoshitake.

Yokohama FC (HK) Fans' Player of the Year: Lee Ka Yiu

Squad Review

Goalkeepers

Park Joo-Woon built on last seasons performances and settled into the number one jersey with ease looking solid and reliable. This left Law Ka Long becoming something of a cup specialist in the less important competitions but he still impressed.

Park Joo-Woon (25yo South Korean GK) – 27 apps, 22 conceded, 10 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 7.03

Law Ka Long (19yo Hong Kong GK) – 9 apps, 8 conceded, 3 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 7.08

Fullbacks

A bad injury to Garlock Liu at the start of the season saw Deng Jinghuang given the chance to solidify his role as a starter and he stepped up looking much more impressive than last season. This left Garlock Liu in the backup role picking up much of his gametime in the cups. On the right new signing, Jack Sealy showed his class but declined as the season progressed which could be the reason South China were happy to let him go.

Deng Jianhuang (31yo Hong Kong DL/DR) – 20 (4) apps, 5 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 7.27

Garlock Liu (24yo Hong Kong DL) – 17 (4) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.89

Jack Sealy (29yo Hong Kong DR/DL, MRC) – 25 apps, 2 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 7.19

Central Defenders

Park Tae-Hong looked much more like the star he should be as he started alongside new signing Matthew Pike. With a settled lineup the Leung brothers were reduced to providing cover across the backline.

Park Tae-Hong (25yo South Korean DC/DR) – 30 (1) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 7.11

Matthew Pike (26yo Hong Kong DC) – 29 (1) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.96

Leung Kwun Chung (24yo Hong Kong DC/DL) – 11 (4) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.72

Leung Nok Hang (21yo Hong Kong DC) – 10 (2) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.92

Central Midfielders

New signing Wang Shixin settled well into the holding role and despite not gaining the plaudits he was a big part of our performances while Lam Ngai Tong improved a little in the backup role. In the more advanced positions Yoshitake recovered from his bad injury last season to role back the years finishing with the most goals & assists on the team. We'll miss him when he retires but home grown star Chan Chun Lok looks ready to step up as he pushed for a starting place. Lau Cheuk Hin & Au Yeung Yiu Chung also had solid seasons as there was a lot of rotation in midfield.

Wang Shixin (23yo Chinese DM/DC, MC) – 29 (4) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.83

Lam Ngai Tong (26yo Hong Kong DM/MC) – 10 (16) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.77

Tsuyoshi Yoshitake (34yo Japanese AMRC) – 24 (8) apps, 14 goals, 13 assists, Ave Rating: 7.34

Au Yeung Yiu Chung (26yo Hong Kong AMC/AMR, ST) – 22 (6) apps, 2 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 7.12

Lau Cheuk Hin (24yo Hong Kong AMC) – 23 (7) apps, 11 goals, 9 assists, Ave Rating: 7.29

Chan Chun Lok (20yo Hong Kong MC) – 17 (6) apps, 6 goals, 8 assists, Ave Rating: 7.25

Wingers

After looking a little uncomfortable last season Nakajima-Farran settled much better into his role this year looking like a threat down the left while Choi Sai Yan stepped up from the youth team to provide dependable cover. On the right Lee Ka Yiu proved last season was no fluke despite being hampered by a couple of spells out through injury.

Paris Nakajima-Farran (26yo Canadian ML) – 23 (5) apps, 11 goals, 8 assists, Ave Rating: 7.21

Choi Sai Yan (18yo Hong Kong AML) – 13 (4) apps, 4 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 7.17

Lee Ka Yiu (24yo Hong Kong MR) – 22 apps, 11 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 7.35

Strikers

I expected Wong Wei to build on last seasons performances and make the starting role his but it didn't happen with perhaps injuries playing a role. In his absence new signing Yu Ho Pong proved to be a good team player linking well with the midfield which left Hui Ka Lok as the odd man out.

Wong Wei (23yo Hong Kong ST) – 14 (8) apps, 7 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.84

Hui Ka Lok (22yo Hong Kong ST) – 4 (6) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.89

Yu Ho Pong (26yo Hong Kong ST) – 17 (14) apps, 10 goals, 10 assists, Ave Rating: 7.15

Great success across the board.

Indeed, not sure how I feel about it tbh.

Its probably my best ever season on any version of FM in the last 20 years so I should be delighted but it just felt a little too easy at times.

I guess it was a little harsh to say South China bottled it as they started dropping points when the continental competitions got underway which gave us and probably Citizen a bit of an advantage, maybe something we'll suffer from next season.

I also don't feel as if I've changed the squad massively, I think I probably got really lucky in having a solid base to build on with several good younger players (20yo-25yo) who were just breaking through and then just filled in a few weaker areas.

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Off-Season Report

INTERNATIONAL NEWS

A quiet off-season for the International teams as only the U22 squad had matches. They were attempting to qualify for the 2018 U22 Asian Cup and were drawn in a group along with Brunei U22s, Guam U22s, Singapore U22s, Thailand U22s & Vietnam U22s. We have four in the squad:

Law Ka Long (GK), Leung Nok Hang (DC), Lau Cheuk Hin (MC) & Hui Ka Lok (ST)

The U22s made the last U22 Asian Cup finals and had a good start beating Guam U22s. A draw against Singapore U22s & a defeat to Vietnam U22s followed but it was draws against Thailand U22s & Brunei U22s that cost them as they finished 3rd in the group and failed to qualify.

572018U22AsianCupQual.png

FINANCES

My effort to keep the wages down had some effect but what I saved we paid out in bonuses. On the flip side that success brought us an increase in prize money, TV money and ticket income which saw us make a profit for the first time under my management - £14k. Its only a small profit but an improvement on the losses we made over the last two seasons.

As well as the increased income last season our success also had a knock-on effect into this season. Qualification for the Asian Confederation Cup should bring additional income while we have two new sponsorship deals which more than doubles it to £150k.

The board set the initial budgets: Transfer budget £60k & Wage budget £55k a month. Our transfer budget is slightly down on last season but still more than enough while the wage budget has seen a large increase and while I'll release the shackles a little to attract good players it still needs to be kept under control.

Our trophy haul from last season has seen our reputation rise and we are now viewed as one of the top clubs in Hong Kong along with South China & Kitchee but our finances aren't considered as secure as Happy Valley anymore. Both our turnover and estimated value increased last season but we still sit a disappointing 8th in turnover but we are now 3rd in the league on value. Our average attendance grew a little from 319 to 329 last season but hopefully our success will see us attract more fans this season.

PLAYER NEWS – OUTGOING

Two youth players are released at the end of their contracts including our Hong Kong U19 keeper Mok Chin To. Despite being an U19 International the staff think he has made limited progress and with a potential star in our last youth intake his gametime would have been much reduced.

Just the one player left the first team though as our vice captain retired:

Tsuyoshi Yoshitake (34yo Japanese AMRC) – Retired

Time at Yokohama FC (HK): 4 seasons, Appearances: 73 (16), Goals: 34, Assists: 21

Tsuyoshi certainly had the quality to continue for another couple of seasons but he had made up his mind. From our point of view Chan Chun Lok seems ready to step up (Aside from the fact he is injured) and it will free up a foreign spot that I can maybe use to sign a quality striker. He will also be staying with the club though in a staff role as he is our new “Head of Youth Development”.

PLAYER NEWS – INCOMING

At the start of the season I really wasn't sure why the board & media thought we were title contenders but eventually it dawned on me. Every club is built in the same way – Five foreign players who are significantly better than the rest of the squad so the key to success is to have the best domestic players and last season all but two of our squad were Hong Kong Internationals at one level or another. How do you improve on that? you sign more domestic internationals:

Xu Deshuai (28yo Hong Kong AML/AMR) (18 caps, 2 goals) – Signed from Eastern for £7k

Born in China he started his career with Dalian but moved to Citizen on loan before joining them permanently. Five seasons there were followed by two at South China before he became a bit of a journeyman with a season each at Sun Pegasus, Kitchee, Sun Hei and last season at relegated Eastern. Although he has been on the fringe of the International team recently he is still a tricky two footed player who will provide good cover on both wings and I'll be looking for him to challenge Lee Ka Yiu for the starting role on the right.

58XuDeshuai.png

With the first team the same as last season and Xu Deshuai replacing Yoshitake there isn't a huge amount of change needed but I have identified a few weaknesses in the squad. A better DM to challenge Wang Shixin, another MC to add depth to the midfield, a right back to challenge the declining Jack Sealy and a quality striker which would probably have to be a foreign signing.

Initially frustration is the word as I find I've been too slow in joining the race to sign not one but two International DMs – One is on his way to Citizen & the other to Rangers (HKG). I have more luck when an experienced International midfielder chooses to leave South China on a free though:

Lam Ka Wai (31yo Hong Kong MC/ML) (37 caps, 5 goals) – Unattached

Came through the youth system at amateur side Yee Hope before quickly being picked up by Rangers (HKG) where he spent seven years (Inc a couple of loan spells). A move to Kitchee followed for another seven seasons before he spent last year at South China. An experienced and regular international his physical attributes are perhaps in decline but he still has the creative talent to supply our younger players. I'm looking for him to compete for the starting playmaker role as well as adding depth & experience to our midfield.

59LamKaWai.png

With no good targets available for DM or DR I decide to splash out on a quality striker. I identify two South Koreans who are unattached but neither really fit the deep lying role I have been using up front. Maybe its time for a change though to give us something different and I gamble on one of them:

Kwak Jeong-Sool (26yo South Korean ST) – Unattached

Spent his whole career so far at Goyang Hi FC (South Korea K League) before being released at the end of the season. Despite his age he doesn't have a lot of match experience and he is a big risk who will either be a flop or be a star depending on if he can put his skills to good use in matches.

60KwakJeong-Sool.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Pre-Season Friendlies August 2016

Club Albion (Hong Kong Non-League) 0-4 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Kwak Jeong-Sool (26, 45), Xu Deshuai (71), Lau Cheuk Hin (84)

First friendly of the season and its no surprise the team look a little rusty to begin with. When we do create chances our new striker looks the part calmly slotting in two goals. We improve in the second half with Xu Deshuai popping up at the right time to drill in a third while Lau Cheuk Hin gets a reward for running the match when he scores the fourth from the edge of the box.

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division 2-1 Wing Yee (Hong Kong Non-League)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (46), Yu Ho Pong (56) ; Yip Wai Chun (76)

MOTM: Nakajima-Farran (8.3)

For all our possession and half chances in the first half Wing Yee frustrate us by packing the box. Deadlock is broken early in the second half when Lee Ka Yiu arrives late at the far post to volley in. When a good passing move sees Yu Ho Pong calmly slot in I'm expecting the floodgates to open but injuries & substitutes break up our rhythm allowing Wing Yee to claim a consolidation.

Home Utd (Singapore S-League) 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Guo Chao (pen 55) ; Kwak Jeong-Sool (16)

MOTM: Guo Chao (7.2)

Home Utd make it tough but we create a few half chances and Kwak Jeong-Sool finds the net with one of them. We look fairly comfortable at the back but when Wang Shixin mistimes a tackle they are level through a penalty. There are few chances in the closing stages but Lau Cheuk Hin wins a late penalty which he then sees saved as both sides settle for a draw.

Siglap CSC (Singapore Non-League) 0-0 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals:

MOTM: Law Ka Long (7.3)

Complacency rears its head as we are far from our best. Siglap have the better of possession while we create the better chances, neither team really look like scoring and the fans go home bored.

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 6-0 Sha Tin (Hong Kong Non-League)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (1), Nakajima-Farran (6), Kwak Jeong-Sool (11, 27, 62, 75)

MOTM: Kwak Jeong-Sool (9.9)

The captain sets an example within the first minute drifting inside, taking the pass and finding the inside of the post. Within ten minutes the match is over as Nakajima-Farran & Kwak Jeong-Sool both show their clinical side. Sha Tin offer a little resistance but we are too strong and the win is never in doubt as I hope our new striker can keep this form up when the season starts.

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 6-2 Golden Sea (Hong Kong Non-League)

Goals: Lee Ka Yiu (8, 52, 58), Lam Ngai Tong (19), Wong Wei (37), Kwak Jeong-Sool (83) ; Shek Ming Fai (38), Yick Chun Nam (55)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (9.7)

A confident finish to the pre-season with Lee Ka Yiu at the centre of much of our good play. Golden Sea did threaten in spells scoring twice which hopefully will help guard against complacency although with several fringe players on the pitch I'm not too concerned.

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

Preview 2016/17 Season

SUMMARY OF MAIN SQUAD

One out, three in and a youth player promoted means the squad is much the same as last season albeit with a little more depth to cover injuries and the additional games we'll play in the Asian Confederation Cup. Aside from missing out on a DM I feel the squad is a strong one and should be in a good position to challenge for honours again this year.

Lee Ka Yiu has been promoted to “Icon” status by the fans and continues as captain while with Yoshitake retiring we have a new vice-captain in the shape of Park Tae-Hong.

Goalkeepers

No change from last season with Park Joo-Woon the starter with Law Ka Long providing backup.

Park Joo-Woon (25yo South Korean GK)

Law Ka Long (20yo Hong Kong GK)

Fullbacks

Exactly the same as last season with Deng Jinghuang, Jack Sealy & Garlock Liu all competing for the starting roles with cover provided from the centre of defence.

Deng Jinghuang (31yo Hong Kong DL/DR) – 25 caps, 0 goals

Garlock Liu (24yo Hong Kong DL) – 1 cap, 0 goals

Jack Sealy (29yo Hong Kong DR/DL, MRC) – 19 caps, 1 goal

Central Defence

Park Tae-Hong & Matthew Pike continue their partnership while the Leung brothers will provide cover across the backline.

Park Tae-Hong (25yo South Korean DC/DR) (Vice-Captain)

Matthew Pike (26yo Hong Kong DC) – 10 caps, 0 goals

Leung Nok Hang (21yo Hong Kong DC)

Leung Kwun Chung (24yo Hong Kong DC/DL) – 14 caps, 0 goals

Central Midfield

Wang Shixin continues as starter at DM with Lam Ngai Tong and promoted youth player, Ching Kwong Wah providing cover. In the more advanced positions we have a lot of competition with new signing, Lam Ka Wai replacing the retired Yoshitake to compete alongside Lau Cheuk Hin, Chan Chun Lok & Au Yeung Yiu Chung.

Lam Ka Wai (31yo Hong Kong MC/ML) – 37 caps, 5 goals

Lau Cheuk Hin (24yo Hong Kong AMC) – 3 caps, 0 goals

Au Yeung Yiu Chung (27yo Hong Kong AMC/AMR, ST) – 20 caps, 4 goals

Wang Shixin (23yo Chinese DM/DC)

Lam Ngai Tong (26yo Hong Kong DM)

Chan Chun Lok (20yo Hong Kong MC)

Ching Kwong Wah (17yo Hong Kong DM)

Wingers

Just one additional to last season as new signing, Xu Deshuai adds more depth out wide

Paris Nakajima-Farran (26yo Canadian ML)

Lee Ka Yiu (24yo Hong Kong MR) - 6 caps, 1 goal (Captain)

Xu Deshuai (29yo Hong Kong AML/AMR) – 18 caps, 2 goals

Choi Sai Yan (18yo Hong Kong AML)

Forwards

I'm hoping new signing Kwak Jeong-Sool will make the starting role his own while last season's trio compete to provide cover.

Kwak Jeong-Sool (26yo South Korean ST)

Wong Wai (23yo Hong Kong ST) – 7 caps, 1 goal

Hui Ka Lok (22yo Hong Kong ST)

Yu Ho Pong (26yo Hong Kong ST)

The board announced their expectations for the season and they are what I would have expected.

Asian Confederation Cup: Be Competitive

Hong Kong First Division: Title Challenge

Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield: Final

Hong Kong FA Cup: Not Important

Hong Kong First Division Preview

South China's reputation took a bit of a hit last year but along with Kitchee they are seen as our main threat for the title and the media would be shocked to see the trophy lifted by anyone outside of the three. Down at the bottom amateur side Hong Kong FC are expected to struggle now other teams have got used to them along with promoted side, Tai Chung FC.

Media Prediction

1st  [color="#FF0000"]Yokohama FC (HK) [/color]  ***Champions***
2nd  Kitchee Sports Club
3rd  South China
4th  Citizen
5th  Rangers (HKG)
6th  Sun Pegasus
7th  Tuen Mun Sports Association
8th  Southern District
9th  Tai Po FC
10th Happy Valley
11th Tai Chung FC   ***Promoted***
12th Hong Kong FC   

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

August/September 2016

Player News

We start the season with several injury & fitness concerns:

Park Tae-Hong – Missed all the friendlies with a back strain, just about recovered.

Chan Chun Lok – Missed all the friendlies with a torn calf muscle, fit in the next couple of weeks.

Choi Sai Yan – Missed all the friendlies with a torn groin muscle, out for another 5/7 weeks.

Yu Ho Pong – Injured during the friendlies, twisted knee fit in the next 10 days.

Sunday 28th August 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (1/22)

Tai Po 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK)

Goals: Fong Pak Lun (13) ; Pike (68)

MOTM: Pike (7.2)

Milestone: Kwak Jeong-Sool – Debut for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Lam Ka Wai – Debut for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Xu Deshuai – Debut for Yokohama FC (HK)

Milestone: Matthew Pike – First Goal for Yokohama FC (HK)

We make a decent start but Tai Po catch us cold with a break which sees them take the lead through their only real chance of the match. Our pre-season form seems to have deserted us as we struggle to create chances and hit the woodwork a massive five times. Subs in the second half make a difference though and when a wide freekick is headed back into the box Pike gets free to smash in. Its not a good performance but at least we salvaged a draw.

International News

U21s

The squad have friendlies against Macau U21s & Yemen U21s and we have two callups

Law Ka Long (GK) & Ng Yiu Fai (GK)

Senior Squad

My efforts to bring in the best domestic players is evident as ten are called up for friendlies against Nepal & Malaysia:

Deng Jinghuang (DRL), Jack Sealy (DR/DL, MRC), Garlock Liu (DL), Matthew Pike (DC), Leung Kwun Chung (DC/DL), Leung Nok Hang (DC), Xu Deshuai (AML/AMR), Lee Ka Yiu (AMR), Lau Cheuk Hin (AMC) & Wong Wai (ST)

Injuries in the first friendly sees Lam Ka Wai (MC) also get called up

International Injury: Wong Wai – Out for 2/3 weeks with a damaged elbow

International Injury: Matthew Pike – Out for 8/11 days with a bruised rib

Saturday 10th September 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (2/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (8th) 1-1 Kitchee (5th)

Goals: Xu Deshuai (81) ; Luk Chi Ho (pen 89)

MOTM: Paulo Cesar (7.6) (Kitchee)

Attendance: 350

Milestone: Xu Deshuai – 1st Goal for Yokohama FC (HK)

Although possession is even its only us that create chances but Paulo Cesar proves to be a brick wall in the Kitchee goal keeping out Lee Ka Yiu and new striker Kwak Jeong-Sool on more than one occasion. Kitchee respond in the second half and this time its the turn of Park Joo-Woon to keep us in the game. Subs swing the game back in our favour and two of them combine as Chan Chun Lok picks out the run of Xu Deshuai who slips the ball past the keeper. Just as it looks like we are going to pick up the points a deep freekick sees Leung Kwun Chung give up a soft penalty as we are forced to settle for a draw.

Training Injury: Yu Ho Pong – Out for 5/6 weeks with a pulled hamstring

Saturday 17th September 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (3/22)

Sun Pegasus (2nd) 0-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (8th)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (30), Kwak Jeong-Sool (60)

MOTM: Kwak Jeong-Sool (8.3)

Milestone: Kwak Jeong-Sool – 1st Goal for Yokohama FC (HK)

Sun Pegasus pack the midfield while we take a more cautious approach which leads to Sun Pegasus controlling possession as we frustrate them. A mishit cross gives us the lead and we settle into the possession game that we were used to last season. After seeing another two chances go begging its looking like Kwak Jeong-Sool is going to struggle up front but a quick one-two with Nakajima-Farran sees him with another chance and this time there is no stopping the rocket shot that flies in to get him off the mark.

Sunday 25th September 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (4/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (6th) 3-1 Citizen (1st)

Goals: Kwak Jeong-Sool (43), Nakajima-Farran (45), Lau Cheuk Hin (51) ; Bouet Yrel (61)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (7.9)

Attendance: 316

Citizen bring a new wide diamond which has seen them win three from three this season but with Wang Shixin marking their playmaker out of the game we get plenty of possession in midfield. They manage to keep it tight but Kwak Jeong-Sool eventually breaks the offside trap and chips the ball over the onrushing keeper to give us the lead. He then turns supplier holding the ball up before laying off for Nakajima-Farran to drive in and Lau Cheuk Hin fires into the far corner after the break to kill the game off. Bouet Yrel heads in a left wing cross to give Citizen hope but its their only real chance of the match as we cruise to a comfortable win.

Match Injury: Lee Ka Yiu – Out for 6/7 weeks with a twisted ankle

Match Injury: Jack Sealy – Out for two weeks with a bruised rib

61LeagueSeptember2016.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

October 2016

Sunday 2nd October 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (5/22)

Tai Chung (10th) 0-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (4th)

Goals: Nakajima-Farran (6), Park Tae-Hong (9)

MOTM: Park Tae-Hong (8.2)

When I brought Kwak Jeong-Sool to the club I thought I might be trading goal threat for creativity & team work but that doesn't seem to be the case as he once again sets up Nakajima-Farran to smash in an early goal. When Park Tae-Hong heads in a corner the match is already over and we ease to the win.

Match Injury: Wong Wei – Out for 9/12 days with a stubbed toe.

International News

U19s

We have just one call-up for a friendly against Northern Mariana U19s – Wong Wai Hung (ST)

U21s

We have two call-ups for home & away friendlies against Oman U21s – Ng Yiu Fai (GK) & Chan Chun Lok (MC)

Senior Squad

We once again dominate the squad for friendlies against Laos & Indonesia:

Deng Jinghuang (DRL), Jack Sealy (DR/DL, MRC), Garlock Liu (DL), Leung Nok Hang (DC), Leung Kwun Chung (DC/DL), Matthew Pike (DC), Lau Cheuk Hin (AMC), Au Yeung Yiu Chung (AMC/AMR, ST) & Wong Wei (ST)

Training Injury: Park Tae-Hong – Out for 6/8 days with a dead leg.

Reserve Match Injury: Hui Ka Lok – Out for 6/9 days with whiplash

Sunday 16th October 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (6/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd) 2-0 Southern District (8th)

Goals: Leung Kwun Chung (8), Au Yeung Yiu Chung (pen 31)

MOTM: Leung Kwun Chung (7.7)

Attendance: 312

Milestone: Lam Ka Wai - 250th Career League Appearance

Southern District are a shadow of the team that made two cup finals last year partly due to dropping to “Semi-Pro” status. Once Leung Kwun Chung flew high to bury an early corner the trend was set. Another corner saw a penalty awarded after a melee in the box and the match was all but over. We never got out of third gear as the best Southern District could muster was a couple of shots from distance.

Saturday 22nd October 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (7/22)

Tuen Mun (7th) 1-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (2nd)

Goals: Yip Tsz Chun (51) ; Kwak Jeong-Sool (20)

MOTM: Yip Tsz Chun (7.3) (Tuen Mun)

Milestone: Paris Nakajima-Farran - 50th League Appearance for Yokohama FC (HK)

I get the feeling that its going to be one of those days when Kwak Jeong-Sool wins a soft penalty in the first couple of mins and then see Au Yeong Yiu Chung's effort pushed wide by the keeper. All seems to be well though as our new star up front directs a left wing cross wide of the keeper into the far corner. Tuen Mun improve as the match goes on though and its no surprise when they equalise after the break. By the end we are lucky to have claimed a point from a poor performance.

Tuesday 25th October 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (8/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (2nd) 1-2 Rangers (HKG) (6th)

Goals: Kwak Jeong-Sool (9) ; Au Yeung Yiu Chung (og 27), Wellingsson (59)

MOTM: Wellingsson (7.5) (Rangers (HKG))

Attendance: 337

We make a good start pressing Rangers back into their half and have the lead when Kwak Jeong-Sool slots in. It all starts to unravel though when a deep freekick sees the ball fly in off Au Yeung Yiu Chung and we start to fall apart. We have possession but fail to do anything with it and we are punished when Wellingsson heads in a right wing cross as our fifteen match unbeaten streak in the lead comes to an end.

Player News: Xu Deshuai makes the “Hong Kong First Division Team of the Month”

62LeagueOctober2016.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

November 2016

Training Injury: Choi Sai Yan – Out for two months with a sports hernia.

Reserve Match Injury: Wong Wei – Out for 2/3 months with strained knee ligaments.

Saturday 5th November 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (9/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (4th) 3-0 South China (5th)

Goals: Lau Cheuk Hin (pen 29), Kwak Jeong-Sool (55, 73)

MOTM: Kwak Jeong-Sool (8.8)

Just what you need when your form takes a turn for the worse, a match against South China but on a positive note the captain, Lee Ka Yiu is back from injury. We seem to be a different team when he plays and after a tight start he again makes the difference winning a penalty when he is pulled back on the edge of the box. Its a tight game of few chances and Kwak Jeong-Sool proves his wages are money well spent when he clinically finishes both of his. The first a turn and shot from the edge of the box which goes in off the underside of the bar and the second a diagonal ball which he pulls down past the keeper, tapping into the empty net.

Match Injury: Matthew Pike – Out for 6/9 days with a gashed arm.

Training Injury: Chan Chun Lok – Out for 2 weeks with a bruised rib.

Training Injury: Yu Ho Pong – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted knee.

International News

Senior Squad

We have seven call-ups for a friendly against Oman.

Deng Jinghuang (DRL), Jack Sealy (DR/DL, MRC), Garlock Liu (DL), Leung Kwun Chung (DC/DL), Matthew Pike (DC), Lau Cheuk Hin (AMC) & Lee Ka Yiu (MR)

International Match Injury: Lee Ka Yiu – Out for 2 months with strained knee ligaments.

Injury: Xu Deshuai – Sent home with a cold.

Training Injury: Paris Nakajima-Farran – Out for 4/5 weeks with a groin strain

Tuesday 29th November 2016 – Hong Kong League Cup (Main Stage, Quarter Final) (Neutral Ground)

Sun Pegasus (Hong Kong First Division) 2-1 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Lung Ka Tsun (50), Lo Hong (89) ; Au Yeung Yiu Chung (19)

MOTM: Pak Wing Chak (7.8) (Sun Pegasus)

Injuries are building up but at least its at a time when we don't have that many matches. We scrape a team together and aim to keep it tight as Sun Pegasus pack the midfield which results in both sides struggling to even have shots. Au Yeung Yiu Chung gives us the lead when he manages to squeeze a half chance past the keeper at the near post but Sun Pegasus respond after the break with Lung Ka Tsun finding a little space in the box to smash in. Extra time looks a certainty until a long goal kick clears everyone leaving Lo Hong with the only real chance of the match and he takes it dumping us into the loser bracket.

63LeagueNovember2016.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

December 2016

Saturday 3rd December 2016 – Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield (Quarter Final) (Neutral Ground)

Happy Valley (Hong Kong First Division) 1-4 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Chan Yuk Chi (78) ; Kwak Jeong-Sool (8), Xu Deshuai (47), Au Yeung Yiu Chung (52), Chan Chun Lok (65)

MOTM: Kwak Jeong-Sool (9.1)

The shield is the most important of the cups so despite our injury problems I put out the strongest team I can. It pays off as Kwak Jeong-Sool slots in an early goal to send us on our way. We look a little nervous & complacent before the break but confidence flows when Xu Deshuai finds the net from outside the box. Two more goals follow as we threaten to run riot before Happy Valley grab a consolation from a corner.

Tuesday 6th December 2016 – Hong Kong League Cup (Loser Stage, 1st Round) (Neutral Ground)

Southern District (Hong Kong First Division) 0-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Xu Deshuai (10), Kwak Jeong-Sool (39)

MOTM: Kwak Jeong-Sool (8.3)

What a difference a season makes, last year we met Southern District in the final and this year its the first round of the loser bracket. The media thinks we are clear favourites but injuries mean I've had to prioritise the cups and several fringe players take to the field. That said Southern District also have issues and field several youngsters as we take control early. Kwak Jeong-Sool again looks a different class up front first providing for Xu Deshuai to place wide of the keeper before running onto a long diagonal ball and drilling past the keeper as we take a comfortable lead. A debatable red card in the second half when Kwak Jeong-Sool gets brought down driving past the defence ends any hope Southern District had of getting back into the match as we ease into the next round.

Friday 9th December 2016 – Hong Kong League Cup (Loser Stage, 2nd Round) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 1-0aet Rangers (HKG) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Xu Deshuai (107)

MOTM: Xu Deshuai (8.3)

The cup games keep coming thick & fast as its a case of the eleven fittest players taking to the field. Yu Ho Pong makes his first start of the season up front as Kwak Jeong-Sool drops to the bench for a rest but we miss his sharpness and quality up front as we struggle to create chances. Rangers pack the midfield frustrating us but chances eventually arrive in the second half with several scrambles in the box but we fail to find the net. Both teams seem to be running on empty in extra time but the introduction of Kwak Jeong-Sool gives us a boost and he again makes the difference holding up the ball and laying off for Xu Deshuai to drill in.

Match Injury: Leung Kwun Chung – Out for 9/12 days with a bruised shin.

Training Injury: Au Yeung Yiu Chung – Out for 4/5 weeks with a thigh strain.

Training Injury: Kwak Jeong-Sool – Out for 4/5 weeks with a groin strain.

Tuesday 20th December 2016 – Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield (Semi Final) (Neutral Ground)

Tuen Mun (Hong Kong First Division) 1-3 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Cheung Kin Leung (45) ; Chan Chun Lok (1), Nakajima-Farran (37, 88)

The injury we didn't want arrives when our star striker pulls up in training but we were successful last season without him. My choice to prefer Chan Chun Lok over the out of form Lau Cheuk Hin pays off immediately as his run beyond the front line is picked out by Yo Ho Pong playing in the deeper role. We look comfortable when a poor long shot from Lam Ka Wai looks to be drifting wide and Nakajima-Farran arrives late to nod it in but the defence fall asleep in injury time leaving Cheung Kin Leung free to head in a right wing cross. This gives Tuen Mun hope and they start the second half in positive fashion but bit by bit it swings back our way as we control possession. Nakajima-Farran drills in a second to kill the match off and send us into the final for the second season in a row.

Injury: Leung Nok Hang – Sent home with a cold.

Training Injury: Lau Cheuk Hin – Out for 9/12 days with a bruised shin.

Friday 30th December 2016 – Hong Kong First Division (10/22)

Hong Kong FC (12th) 2-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (2nd)

Goals: To Hon To (38), Law Chun Kit (67) ; Yo Ho Pong (18), Nakajima-Farran (22)

MOTM: Xu Deshuai (7.8)

The only amateur side in the top division are struggling badly this season and when Yo Ho Pong & Nakajima-Farran give us a comfortable 2-0 lead this match seems to be over. HKFC are playing good football though and pull a goal back before halftime through a good passing move before drawing level with another good move in the second half. We push on and finish the match stronger but fluff two good chances in the last ten minutes and have a penalty shout turned down as we are forced to settle for a draw.

64LeagueDecember2016.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

January 2017

Sunday 8th January 2017 – Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield (FINAL) (Neutral Ground)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 1-2 South China (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Chan Chun Lok (39) ; Chan Yiu Chung (65), Sandro (67)

MOTM: Wong Chi Kit (8.6) (South China)

Morale seems to have taken a hit going into the match and both teams look nervous in the early stages. The defences are solid though as both sides struggle to create chances until Chan Chun Lok's run is picked out and the keeper can't keep his shot out. I would have expected the team to settle down but they don't and South China look stronger the longer the match goes. A quickfire double sees us fall behind and South China shut the match down making us chase the ball as they ease to the trophy.

Training Injury: Paris Nakajima-Farran – Out for 6/7 weeks with a twisted ankle.

Sunday 22nd January 2017 – Hong Kong First Division (11/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (4th) 2-1 Happy Valley (10th)

Goals: Xu Deshuai (6), Kwak Jeong-Sool (20) ; Li Hang Wui (81)

MOTM: Lau Cheuk Hin (8.9)

Attendance: 354

After a shaky few games injuries have cleared up and I'm looking for a morale boosting win at home. We look sharp and play well creating plenty of chances easing into a 2-0 lead. We should have been out of sight though and it comes back to bite us later in the match when Li Hang Wui gets free at the far post to head in a corner. This leads to a panicky finish but we hold on to pick up the points.

Saturday 28th January 2017 – Hong Kong First Division (12/22)

Kitchee (4th) 0-0 Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd)

Goals:

MOTM: Luk Chi Ho (7.1)

Milestone: Jack Sealy - 200th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Deng Jinghuang - 200th Career League Apperance & 50th for Yokohama FC (HK)

Even at this stage of the season every match is important but especially those against the other teams challenging for the title. There is just the one change from the Happy Valley match as Lam Ngai Tong replaces the suspended Wang Shixin but we start in the same way with sharp passing. Kitchee are a much better team though which leads to a more aggressive game which sees knocks & cards on both sides. The key moment comes just before halftime when Kwak Jeong-Sool picks up his second yellow leaving us with ten men. The second half is a backs against the wall performance and while we never look like scoring neither do Kitchee until the last five minutes when they hit the post and see a header cleared off the line. We hold on for what is a good point given the circumstances.

Match Injury: Lam Ngai Tong – Out for 3 months with a hip injury.

65LeagueJanuary2017.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

February 2017

Thursday 2nd February 2017 – Hong Kong League Cup (Loser Stage, 3rd Round) (Neutral Ground)

Kitchee (Hong Kong First Division) 1-1aet Pens 5-3 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Wong Yin Ming (45) ; Choi Sai Yan (86)

MOTM: Wong Chi Kit (8.6) (South China)

The league cup continues but a mix of injuries, suspensions & the group stages of the Asian Confederation Cup around the corner means a lot of rotation. Kitchee have done the same though and their fringe players aren't quite as good as we have the better of possession and shots without really creating a chance. We get caught out by a long ball just before the break, Garlock Yiu getting back to challenge but the ball runs through for Wong Yin Ming to drill in. The second half follows the same pattern but this time the chance finally falls our way when Choi Sai Yan finds spac ein the box and smashes into the far corner. With both teams out on their feet extra time produces nothing of note and we lose out in the lottery of pens. No final for us this season but its maybe for the best given games are starting to build up.

Match Injury: Leung Nok Hang – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted knee.

Club News – Asian Confederation Cup

Kitchee & ourselves find out our fate as the group stage is drawn. We are in Group H along with Arema Indonesia (Indonesia), Bengaluru FC (India) & Kanbawza FC (Myanmar).

The Indonesian champions are slight favourites to top the group while we are expected to join them in the knockout stages. Bengaluru FC & Kanbawza FC both failed to make an impression in the group stage last season, Bengaluru FC in particular were well beaten by Sun Pegasus which bodes well for our chances.

There is a little pressure on us though as both Hong Kong teams have made the quarter finals for the last two seasons and I'm keen to keep up that trend. Squad registration provides an issue though as I'm only allowed three foreign players rather than the five I'm used to. Nakajima-Farran is the first sacrifice but the second is much more difficult, first choice keeper & star striker can't be dropped and with Park Tae-Hong a big part of the defence that only leaves Wang Shixin at DM. With Lam Ngai Tong out injured it leaves inexperienced young players or defenders playing out of position filling the gap.

Sunday 5th February 2017 – Hong Kong First Division (13/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd) 4-0 Tai Po (10th)

Goals: Pike (6), Lau Cheuk Hin (47), Lee Ka Yiu (62, 66)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (9.4)

Attendance: 360

With matches coming thick & fast its a case of the eleven fittest taking to the field. Even so this should be a game we win comfortably and we look to be on our way when Pike is first to the ball when the keeper can't hold a freekick. Tai Po don't fold though keeping us under pressure both in attack & defence. After the break Lau Cheuk Hin finds the net from the edge of the box and the floodgates open as Lee Ka Yiu claims a brace on the break to seal the win.

Friday 10th February 2017 – Hong Kong First Division (14/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd) 0-1 Sun Pegasus (7th)

Goals: Lo Hang (48)

MOTM: Lo Hang (7.2) (Sun Pegasus)

Attendance: 414

Milestone: Park Tae-Hong - 100th Career League Appearance

Sun Pegasus come to defend and they do it successfully as the match turns into a midfield battle. Its no surprise that the first goal will be vital and it goes to Sun Pegasus when Lo Hang heads in a cross. What was a tough match just got worse especially with the referee handing out cards left, right & centre. Garlock Liu is the unfortunate to get the second yellow and thats our chance of taking anything from the match gone as we slip to a disappointing defeat.

Tuesday 14th February 2017 – Asian Confederation Cup (Group H, 1/6)

Arema Indonesia (Indonesian Super League) 3-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Munawar (7, 71), Alam (10) ; Lau Cheuk Hin (35), Lee Ka Yiu (60)

MOTM: Munawar (8.8) (Arema Indonesia)

Our first continental appearance couldn't be tougher, away to the team thats expected to top the group and they state their intent early twice outpacing our defence before clinically finishing. With the match settling down and Arema content to play on the break we start to dominate possession and Lau Cheuk Hin pulls a goal back when he loses his marker at a corner. We have several chances to get on level terms before Lee Ka Yiu finally drifts along the 18 yard box to pick up a pass and smash in but that only fires Arema up as they up their game. With us under pressure and defending a point a freekick on the edge of the box finds the top corner as we lose two on the trot.

Match Injury: Au Yeung Yiu Chung – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted knee.

Friday 17th February 2017 – Hong Kong First Division (15/22)

Citizen (1st) 2-0 Yokohama FC (HK) (3rd)

Goals: Yu Wing Yin (32), Li Haiqiang (pen 56)

MOTM: Li Haiqiang (8.0) (Citizen)

This is a key clash and one we can't afford to lose if we want to defend the title. Citizen are happy for us to have the ball in midfield but close us down rapidly in the final third before breaking quickly when they win possession. Yu Wing Yin had already sent a warning shot across the bows when he had a goal ruled out for offside but second time he made no mistake running onto a long diagonal ball before drilling into the far corner. When Pike gifts Citizen a penalty in the second half the match is over and and our form is officially poor.

Tuesday 21st February 2017 – Asian Confederation Cup (Group H, 2/6)

Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division) 4-1 Bengaluru FC (Indian National Football League)

Goals: Mani (og 41), Kwak Jeong-Sool (45, 59), Park Tae-Hong (50) ; Jeje (38)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (9.1)

Attendance: 942

Any thoughts I had of this being an easy match are extinguished when I look at their team. They are certainly a match for us and this is reflected when the game kicks off as it turns into a midfield battle. A scrappy half finally sees a moment of quality when Bengaluru overlap down the left and the cross picks out Jeje who calmly finishes. With our current form its looking bad for us and we need some luck which arrives in the shape of two corners. First Lau Cheuk Hin forces a header towards goal which goes in off Mani before Pike heads another back across goal for Kwak Jeong-Sool to bundle in, although I'm not sure how much he knew about it. When Park Tae-Hong smashes in a deep freekick confidence starts to flow again and Kwak Jeong-Sool puts his recent poor form behind him to flick a left wing cross wide of the keeper to seal a morale boosting win.

Saturday 25th February 2017 – Hong Kong First Division (16/22)

Southern District (8th) 0-2 Yokohama FC (HK) (5th)

Goals: Kwak Jeong-Sool (63), Xu Deshuai (86)

MOTM: Jack Sealy (7.5)

Despite the midweek win I feel our poor form is down to leaving a bit too much space at the back while also trying to exploit space that is no longer there going forward so I tweak the formation. The wide players now sit deeper giving the defence more protection and we are going to be a little more patient going forwards. Its a shaky start but once the team settles the defence seems to have more structure about it as Southern District struggle to create good chances. The longer the match goes the more we take control of possession pinning Southern District back and we eventually break the deadlock when Lau Cheuk Hin is found in the channel squaring for Kwak Jeong-Sool to nod in. We look good for the win and Xu Deshuai makes a cameo appearance to seal it with a drilled shot into the far corner.

Tuesday 28th February 2017 – Asian Confederation Cup (Group H, 3/6)

Kanbawza (Myanmar) 2-0 Yokohama FC (HK) (Hong Kong First Division)

Goals: Pyae Htay (45), Tin Win Htike (pen 63)

MOTM: Tun Oo (7.6) (Kanbawza)

Kanbawza are seen as the whipping boys of the group but after losing their first match they drew at home to Arema last time out. A tight first half sees Kanbawza score the only chance of the half just before the break when Pyae Htay loses his marker and when Jack Sealy gives up a controversial penalty on the edge of the box the match is all but over as we slip to the bottom of the group.

Player News: Lee Ka Yiu won the “Goal of the Month” award for one of his efforts against Tai Po early in the month.

Player News: Park Joo-Woon & Xu Deshuai are names in the “Hong Kong First Division Team of the Month”

66LeagueFebruary2017.png

Hong Kong

Yokohama FC (HK)

March 2017

Saturday 4th March 2017 – Hong Kong First Division (17/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (4th) 0-0 Tai Chung (10th)

Goals:

MOTM: Wu Kin Keung (7.2) (Tai Chung)

Attendance: 331

Milestone: Park Joo-Woon - 50th Career League Appearance (All for Yokohama FC (HK))

We dominate possession, create a handful of chances and look the most likely to score but just can't get the ball in the net. On the plus side the defence looked solid, on the negative two more injuries just as they were clearing up.

Match Injury: Garlock Liu – Out for 4/5 weeks with a thigh strain.

Match Injury: Paris Nakajima-Farran – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted knee.

Sunday 12th March 2017 – Hong Kong First Division (18/22)

Yokohama FC (HK) (5th) 2-2 Tuen Mun (3rd)

Goals: Chan Chun Lok (25), Lee Ka Yiu (30) ; Lai Yiu Cheong (66), Tam Lok Hin (85)

MOTM: Lee Ka Yiu (8.3)

Attendance: 386

Not much separate the top six but we all chasing Citizen and a win could get us back in the title race. A confident first half performance belongs to Lee Ka Yiu who picks out the run of Chan Chun Lok with a deep freekick before dragging a pass inside his marker and slotting into the far corner. The second half belongs to Lai Yiu Cheong though as he runs riot down the right. After a couple of close shaves he finally breaks free to drill in one before crossing for Tam Lok Hin to claim a share of the points.

International News

U19s

Two call-ups for a friendly against India U19s – Lau Chun Wai (DC) & Cheuk Chun Chiu (DC)

U21s

Three call-ups for a friendly against Macau U21s – Ng Yiu Fai (GK), Chan Chun Lok (MC) & Siu Yat Ming (AMC)

Senior Squad

Qualification for the 2018 Asian Challenge Cup arrives and Hong Kong are in Group B along with Cambodia, Macau & Malaysia.

We have six in the squad: Deng Jinghuang (DR/DL), Jack Sealy (DR/MRC), Matthew Pike (DC), Lau Cheuk Hin (AMC), Lee Ka Yiu (MR) & Wong Wei (ST)

Only the winners are guaranteed a spot in the main tournament but the two best runners-up from the five groups will also qualify. Hong Kong make a good start beating Macau 3-1 before drawing 0-0 with Malaysia. A good 2-0 over Cambodia in the last match saw them level with Malaysia on seven points with both teams qualifying for the finals.

67LeagueMarch2017.png

Archived