The Wales road to Euro 2016 thread - featuring the best British midfielder (and Gareth Bale)

chopra_hill

There's only one Aaron Ramsey.

Wales will start their Euro 2016 campaign in the tiny Pyrenees principality of Andorra.

The first-ever fixture between the two nations will take place on September 9, 2014, with Andorra playing their home matches at the 1,800-capacity Comunal d’Andorra la Vella in Aixovall.

However, Andorra – sandwiched between France and Spain – have occasionally played “home” matches outside their borders in nearby Barcelona.

Wales will then host top seeds Bosnia-Herzegovina and Cyprus in October before visiting Brussels, familiar foes from the recent World Cup qualifying campaign, in November.

The resumption of fixtures in 2015 sees Wales head to Israel in March before the visit of Belgium to Cardiff in June.

Two double-headers – Cyprus away and Israel at home in September and Bosnia away and Andorra in October – complete the group.

“I'm happy, positive. They’re all tough teams obviously, but it’s a positive draw for us,” said Wales manager Chris Coleman after the draw was made at Nice in the south of France.

“We’re looking at it and we’re certainly confident.

“We got the point against Belgium in the World Cup qualifiers with a depleted squad, and we were unlucky at home having a man sent off in the first 15 minutes, ultimately beaten but with a good performance.

“But this is about us, and how many times we can field our strongest team, that’s what will dictate how we do in this group.”

The eight group winners, eight runners-up, and the best third-placed team will qualify directly for the Euro 2016 finals and join hosts France.

The eight remaining third-placed teams contest two-legged play-offs to determine the last four qualifiers for the finals.

Full details on the draw

Full Wales fixtures

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 - Andorra (away, 7.45pm)

Friday, October 10, 2014 - Bosnia-Herzegovina (home, 7.45pm)

Monday, October 13, 2014 - Cyprus (home, 7.45pm)

Sunday, November 16, 2014 - Belgium (away, 5pm)

Saturday, March 28, 2015 - Israel (away, 7.45pm)

Friday, June 12, 2015 - Belgium (home, 7.45pm)

Thursday, September 3, 2015 – Cyprus (away, 7.45pm)

Sunday, September 6, 2015 – Israel (home, 5pm)

Saturday, October 10, 2015 – Bosnia-Herzegovina (away, 7.45pm)

Tuesday, October 13 – Andorra (home, 7.45pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please let now be the time

If Bale and Ramsey can stay fit we have a great chance.

Play bale through the middle with Jonny Williams and HRK either side imo.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also ridiculously optimistic, but this time I feel we have a right to be. Although we still lack a few areas we have much more solid players in other areas. Ledley, Bale, Ramsey, Allen, Collison, Joniesta and others like Harry Wilson(probably too soon but could feature) and Emyr Huws(who is unreal according to Lee Clarke) at Birmingham. Sam Vokes has really hit form and will be a Premier League striker soon hopefully. Having Swansea and Cardiff in the prem means we have Ash Williams, Ben Davies, Neil Taylor, Declan John and Jazz Richards all regularly playing at a high standard facilities and amongst class players to add to the competitive spots at full-back. Matthews, Gunter and of course the developing Paul Dummett not to be forgotten!

Will be down to having big players available but also Coleman can't screw this one up. I might be wrong but I really see us as a much better side than Israel.

I love Gareth Bale more than is probably healthy for a man of my vintage. Emyr Huws had an excellent debut I thought, and hrk had maybe his best game for us. Still think there is a case for starting Bale up top given the amount of midfield options we have when everyone is fit.

More than happy with our options at full back and gk, need williams and collins to have good campaigns as cb seems to be our weakest position by a distance

If Palace stay up and they stick with Gabbidon it'll be good

Was a joy to watch tonight and that's missing Ramsey. Huws did well. I am still an advocate and always will be ofBale central and Joniesta out wide. But I'm so confident!

Going Amsterdam in June, can't wait!

Finding it an absolute joy going to Wales games atm.

who is your starting GK atm? the rate Karl Darlow is developing, i think he could be a GK to watch for you lot, hes not likely to be good enough for england, but could be for Wales

Our midfield has the potential to be top quality.

Huws looked composed on Tuesday against a half-decent Iceland side, Joey Allen is starting to show some of the class that made Rodgers take him to Liverpool, and Aaron Ramsey has shown to be almost unstoppable when he's been fit this season.

In my opinion, the midfield of our future has to be: Huws (DM), Allen and Ramsey (CM), Bale and Joniesta (AML/R)

With an in-form striker (most likely Sam Vokes at the moment), I think we stand half a chance. A central defender to play alongside Ash seems to be the only real issue that I can see. These Euro Quals. are the best chance we've had in a while of a major tournament. I for one believe we can do it!

Weird that Paul Dummett wasn't in the squad, can only assume he doesn't want to play for us. Shame as he's getting consistent game time at Newcastle and he has been playing centre back a few times.

Emyr Huws getting ridiculous reviews by BCFC fans and Lee Clark raving about him "unreal" etc!

We actually need two Centre Backs because Ashley Williams isn't good enough either.

He's passable, but he's too prone to mistakes & we need somebody reliable.

Somebody to play alongside him would be fine, but ideally, we get two players there.

As much as I think he's a knob, he's still the best we have and no ones gunna come through to change that any time soon tbh.

Shouldn't be captain though, he's not even welsh. Should be Ramsey.

Weird that Paul Dummett wasn't in the squad, can only assume he doesn't want to play for us. Shame as he's getting consistent game time at Newcastle and he has been playing centre back a few times.

Emyr Huws getting ridiculous reviews by BCFC fans and Lee Clark raving about him "unreal" etc!

Turned it down apparently to keep his options open

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not too happy with Coleman "resting" the likes of Ramsey, Williams and Davies.

Even if he's just gunna play them for 30 mins it is important to have them turning up and being a part of the squad.

A week's training and the game isn't exactly hard either compared to what a load of players will be doing this summer. It's annoying. Good to see James Chester in though and Emyr Huws involved again.

I'm going to Amsterdam for it, can't wait :thup:

The cynic and Welshman who is used to crap Wales teams would also note that being Welsh means the players get summers off as well, leaving them fresh for pre-season training which is always an advantage.

Seriously though, there's a lot of positivity around Welsh football at the moment, and it's bloody great. The expanded Euro 2016 is coming just at the right time, and I think that makes chopra right: we've got to make use of these friendlies. Even if they're not going to play, getting the guys together for the week is vital. We very rarely get a fully fit Welsh squad, and this is one of the few occasions where the majority of the top guys are fit.

• 2 months later...

Still no decision what country the game will be in, with 6 days until it's played. Absolutely pathetic.

I'm feeling confident though, Andorra, Bosnia, Cyprus up first in September/October.

7 points minimum please! (9 if possible ... :D )

I'm going 2-0 on Tuesday. Think it'll be tough to break them down initially but Bale/Ramsey class will shine through.

Archived