Guilherme Or Kolarov?

Smartie

Currently begining 3rd season with Villa and in UEFA cup. In desperate need for a left back and just need to confirm which of the two, Kolarov or Guilherme I want. Kolarov will cost me 15m and Guilherme 8.5m. Does Guilherme improve a lot as he is only 21 or should i buy Kolarov due to his great technical stats?

Knew would come in and say Clichy.

I admit, I forgot Chiellini. Maxwell is on the same level as Kolarov imo. But Kolarov is a much better defender then Clichy. He is better in marking, heading, jumping, anticipation and decisions. Not too mention he is better going foward.

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08172008210100lu7.png

Kolarov compared with Cole. He is about equal in terms of defending, but cacks all other him going foward.

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08172008210625tw7.png

Ok, I know everybody has their own opinion and you're more than entitled to yours. But I would still like to point out a few things:

1. Just to correct you - he's hardly better at anticipation and is equal at decisions in that screenshot.

2. If you develop Clichy on your own, he becomes wayyy better than what he is in that screenie. Unfortunately I'm not playing an Arsenal save atm so cant show you. Its well known that if the AI trains a player, he doesnt become as good. That being said, Kolarov has got the same handicap in that picture I guess. But I know how good Clichy gets because of the number of times I've used him at Arsenal. Cant say the same for Kolarov as I've only had him a few times. My point is - screenshots are not a fair comparison unless you train both players yourself.

3. You forget the hidden stats the players have as well. They contribute a lot to how a player plays. Two important ones are "consistency" and "important matches". Clichy goes to high levels in both. Kolarov "important match" stat is very poor (consistency is about the same at the start). Combine that with another important hidden stat "pressure", Kolarov is poor there too. Combine all of that with his low determination, and Kolarov is prone to buckling under pressure.

4. Kolarov is better at crossing and long shots than Clichy. And Clichy doesnt reach that level in both departments (although crossing goes to 16 quite easily). Combine that with Kolarov having slightly better passing and creativity as well, you can be forgiven for saying Kolarov is better going forward (but read below).

As far as defending goes, yes, he's better in the air than Clichy again. However, Clichy's marking easily goes to 17 and tackling to 18 by the time he hits full potential. But the most important stats that make Clichy a better defender he has better "off the ball" movement than Kolarov which btw, is extremely important for a full back. Add that to Clichy's much higher teamwork, work rate, positioning, pace and acceleration, Clichy is quite easily the better defender. Not to mention, that he can run all day without getting tired.

And coming back to the point about getting forward, Kolarov is better at the technical side of it mostly. But Clichy's "off the ball" movement gives him quite an advantage over Kolarov because he's more likely to be in the right place at the right time than Kolarov is. Whats the point of having good technical stats if you're easy to mark? So as far as I'm concerned, Clichy is just as good going forward just because of that.

I'm not trying to convince you about how good Clichy is. And I'm not being biased either even though I'm an Arsenal fan. But to say that Kolarov is better because he is better in the air than Clichy is not really a fair assessment.

Anyway, to each his own.

Good post and good points. Let's just say Clichy = Kolarov. :)

EDIT - Also , Kolarov's CA is 158 (175PA) in that screenshot, whereas Clichy's(178PA) is 171. So on second view, Kolarov could easily improve and get the upperhand on Clichy.

Well I went with Kolarov and he's been doing well. I would of went for Bale but for some reason he left spurs for 16th placed Bolton!

Thanks all for the help :D

One thing Hulk, does Armand Traore become better than Clichy? He's one of those players I want but I can never get lol

Yeah, thats the best I've ever got him though. Never reached those heights again even though he still becomes awesome. He looks like a left sided version of Daniel Alves on that screenie. I remember on that save I had Marvin Angulo and he too became VERY good. All of his stats were immense. I saved a screenie of his but cant find it. Will put it up if I do. But with him and Traore bombing down my flanks, I never really needed wingers. It was sheer joy seeing the two play.

I've had the undistinguished honor of having both, but at different teams.

Guilherme came to me at Tottenham as an unproven left back at Vasco(i was at 8.01 then, and as far as i know, he hasn't changed). He slowly developed and was challenging Marcell Jansen for the left back spot soon. He was given a first-team place and flourished.

I then moved to Barcelona, and in my 3rd season there, signed Kolarov as a 2nd choice left back. He was good, not excellent, but his free kick skills were uncanny, same as Guilherme. Guilherme's penalty taking and free kicks are excellent too.

IMO, for an overall defensive left back, go for Kolarov. For a bit of brazillian flair, go Guilherme.

Btw, Guilherme went on to earn many Brazil caps, but when he earned his first, he attributed it to me. The proudest moment of my life. :)

I'm playing as Benfica and have signed both, Kolarov being the more expensive. Like he did for Goofus, Guilherme also attributed his Brazilian cap to me. Guilherme has me on favoured personel and I will let you know who performs better for me.

Sorry guys. Cant find the screenie of Marvin Angulo.

Marvin Angulo's only problem is the extremely variable physical stats. When I get home I'll post one of the best I've ever had him. I know he has around 17 in all the right places. However, I'm playing him as an AMR in that game, because I have too many good RB's

Archived