Temporary Move from Anfield to City of Manchester Stadium?!?!

Hi all,

In 5th season pre-season and Anfield is due to get a 14k expansion.

Takes 12 months to complete and in the meantime I am playing at City of Manchester Stadium!! Anyone find this strange - couldn't see a team moving cities like this IRL - especially from Liverpool to Manchester.

Also slightly annoying is all my players histories now state they joined the city of manchester stadium in 2013 etc. - maybe a bug or something to look at.

Anyone else had any strange occurences like this?

Hi all,

Takes 12 months to complete and in the meantime I am playing at City of Manchester Stadium!! Anyone find this strange - couldn't see a team moving cities like this IRL - especially from Liverpool to Manchester.

Also slightly annoying is all my players histories now state they joined the city of manchester stadium in 2013 etc. - maybe a bug or something to look at.

Had the same in FM13 when managing Norwich, we moved to Portman Rd for a season, the police would never ever allow this, also my players histories where messed up like that too

don't see why not, i only incresed Goodison by 6k and i lost a stand, so you'd expect 14k to take up 2 stands

May well take up 2 stands but they wouldn't improve both at the same time. In the last 20 years or so, chelsea, newcastle, man utd and wolves have all had major stadium expansions without moving grounds.

Under no circumstance would Liverpool be temporarily relocating to Man City Stadium - unless for something extreme e.g. earthquake or nuclear strike!

The game needs to be hard-coded so big clubs simply don't do this.

In reality, as has been said, a chunk of ground would be closed or it would just simply be a case of a move to a bigger stadium next season.

Under no circumstance would Liverpool be temporarily relocating to Man City Stadium - unless for something extreme e.g. earthquake or nuclear strike!

In reality, as has been said, a chunk of ground would be closed or it would just simply be a case of a move to a bigger stadium next season.

Why wouldn't they?

I cannot recall a single big club moving while redeveloping their stadium,even small clubs will stay when stands are deemed unsafe and condemned they just use the rest of the ground.I think this game is far to willing to allow clubs too move to another stadium while upgrading there own.Liverpool will do what United have done and stay while each stand is redeveloped just as they did when they seated the Kop and rebuilt Anfield Road.And if this is not possible they would more likely share with Everton or Wigan than go too City.

United only moved too Maine Road when Old Trafford was bomb damaged.

Who remembers Arsenals board of cartoon/painted fans.They sang more than the Arsenal fans do now.

http://barrettsonthisday.anorak.co.uk/uncategorized/2111/highbury-mural-unveiled.html

My board announced that Ibrox Stadium was to be expanded by 13k seats to 64k seater. We played at Hampden Park for 15 months, which makes more sense. Co-shared with Queens Park. With the cups and UCL our fixture congestion wasn't bad at all.

A 50k stadium with such a large increase would mean a whole section could have been closed, meaning less gate receipts and season tickets. Made more money at Hampden anyway.

So it can work out well, I thought it was a cool feature. At least the game didn't get us co-owning with Celtic.

Hi all,

During FM 13, I was on a 11 year career game and got a stadium expansion to 60K (about 5 seasons in) and I was also relocated to the City of Manchester Stadium for a year whilst this was built. I think tat my attendance was also limited to around the Anfield capacity mark for that year although I can't remember for sure - it just seems to ring a bell. After that year, I moved back into the redeveloped Anfield with my new 60K capacity without any further problems.

Now, bearing in mind I was fortunate enough to have phenomenal success as Liverpool manager in those 11 years - 10 league titles (only year I didn't was 4th year when I sneaked 4th and Arsenal won it), won Champions League 6 times, World Club Championship 5 times, Super Cup about 3 times and a few FA and league cups and Charity Shields. Anyway, the relevance of this is that about 7/8 seasons in I decided to chance my luck and ask for a new stadium to be built telling the board I wanted to capitalise on my existing success and take the club to the next level and to my surprise they said yes. It took just over 18 months to build the 80k Stadium (if only the same had been true of Liverpool's stadium build/upgrade in real life!) and I was amazed when the board decided to call the stadium after me! That was bizarre but it was nice after playing a game for so many years to have been surprised by it which was cool and made up for bizarrely playing for a year in City of Manchester Stadium.

This has happened to me before on two occasions.. I changed The Emirates on the editor so it can be expanded - had it increased to 78,000 and moved to Wembley for a season which at the time was odd but filled the 90,000 capacity whenever playing any London club or the other big teams.

Also, on my current Forest save - I had The City Ground increased to 46,000 and moved to Notts County's stadium Meadow Lane for a season which would obviously make sense as they are so close. Annoying thing about it was it's only about 20,000 which was rubbish as it was my first season in the Prem.

I do find it strange that this happens as others have mentioned - Man Utd stayed at Old Trafford, Arsenal stayed at Highbury and the most memorable for me is Newcastle at St James' Park which seemed like it was being renovated for years!

Do you have any examples from real life where premiership teams have moved to another premiership ground whilst having a stadium expansion?

Perhaps not strictly Premiership, but Wimbledon played at Crystal Palace's Selhurst Park for a long time.

Also, Fulham moved into Loftus Road for a couple of seasons while Craven Cottage was being redeveloped.

Perhaps not strictly Premiership, but Wimbledon played at Crystal Palace's Selhurst Park for a long time.

Also, Fulham moved into Loftus Road for a couple of seasons while Craven Cottage was being redeveloped.

You're right with Fulham but they were forced to groundshare as their stadium had to be made all seater for the premiership. Also the ground they moved to was in the same city.

How often are stadiums expanded to the point where they need to leave their current stadium while it is renovated? It does happen when they are overhauled. If a new stadium is being built they can continue play in their current stadium obviously. But complete renovation requires a movement. It happens all around the world, sorry it didn't happen to a club/team you're familiar with.

How often are stadiums expanded to the point where they need to leave their current stadium while it is renovated? It does happen when they are overhauled. If a new stadium is being built they can continue play in their current stadium obviously. But complete renovation requires a movement. It happens all around the world, sorry it didn't happen to a club/team you're familiar with.

It may well happen all over the world but the OP is talking about the chances of a major premiership club moving grounds, not a club in another part of the world.

how can it be hard coded? what is a big club in FM, the games already shown that in some saves 20 years down the line Man United could be in league 2 and Cambridge could win the league, if it was hard coded there would be nothing to protect Cambridge and United would be stuck.

It may well happen all over the world but the OP is talking about the chances of a major premiership club moving grounds, not a club in another part of the world.

And my question is; what are they supposed to do if the stadium is being expanded/renovated and they need to move? There are safety guidelines that need to be followed.

And my question is; what are they supposed to do if the stadium is being expanded/renovated and they need to move? There are safety guidelines that need to be followed.

They can do what man utd, newcastle and chelsea did and make the improvements section by section and remain in their stadium. I imagine safety guidelines were all met in those cases.

They can do what man utd, newcastle and chelsea did and make the improvements section by section and remain in their stadium. I imagine safety guidelines were all met in those cases.

So instead of one massive overhaul to improve the stadium massively and quickly, take an extended period of time and do not get the massive improvements?

Anfield would be getting huge improvements, that is why they are buying the area all around the ground. So buy up all the area, then piddle paddle around for decades? Or just get it done?

Sorry if that sounded weird, I haven't slept in like 20 hours and I'm not quite used to being awake this long...

So instead of one massive overhaul to improve the stadium massively and quickly, take an extended period of time and do not get the massive improvements?

Anfield would be getting huge improvements, that is why they are buying the area all around the ground. So buy up all the area, then piddle paddle around for decades? Or just get it done?

The other teams that i mentioned stayed at their stadiums and completed their upgrades in a few years, Man utd improved 2 stands and chelsea and newcastle an entire stand. I don't know where you get 'decades' from.

In my Sheffield Wednesday save, we spent a season at the City of Manchester Stadium while Hillsborough was getting a 15k seating upgrade.

The only reason I can think of is seating requirements for European football as to why a club may have to be moving cities, but the minimum is only 8k seats so I'm left scratching my head.

Set gate receipt records for the club 3 times over that season, but I'm not sure if the owning club receives a slice of it or if there is some type of rent.

It appears that the game is hardwired too not share if a Club is listed as fierce rivals and on no circumstances they will share even if it means travelling out of the area.But why they don't stay when most Clubs IRL do while developing is a mystery.

Sheff Wednesday would use Elland Road,Bramall Lane,Valley Parade or any nearby Rugby ground before Old Trafford or Man City.Everton and Liverpool would do likewise

You quoted the wrong person.

Anfields a really old ground perhaps it's deemed unsafe whilst it has redevelopments also access and stuff to the ground may be hindered so health and safety have said you've got to move, you know what they're like these days.

I think health and safety may be an issue if liverpool played in manchester. I'm pretty sure man utd and man city have to play home games on alternate weekends due to policing, It would be difficult to alternate if you add a third team into that situation too.

Archived