Pellegrini 4-2-2-2

After getting a bit bored with Barca style, tiki taka football I've decided to embrace the gung ho, free scoring system now being used by City.

On the face of it, the system looks like a 4-4-2, but with the inverted, playmaking wingers, it morphs into more of a box midfield.

Width is provided by the marauding full backs, who overlap the 'interiores', as well as my two strikers, who are set to run wide with the ball, stretching the play and creating space for the wingers to cut into.

So far I have been quite successful using Man Utd. IRL I think this is a system which would actually work very well at the club, as it would allow Kagawa and Mata to play to their strengths, roaming around the pitch whilst also simultaneously fielding both Rooney and RVP.

Whilst the system works well, I'm certainly averaging at least 4 goals a game, it can spectacularly fail, a 5-0 loss to Arsenal being one of the lowest points of the season.

The midfield duo does not imitate what is seen at city, but more so Pellegrini's Villareal team. Due to the lack of quality all action midfielders at Man U I have lined up with a DLPs and a CMd. This is quite a static duo, and ideally i'd like to inject a bit more movement, without sacrificing defensive stability.

I'd be really interested to here your suggestions as to how I can improve it.

Formation

SByzcRB.jpg

Team Instructions

IGncOwu.jpg

Results

sD5NEQr.jpg

Enjoy

Tactic: http://speedyshare.com/ZSpXc/Pellegrini-4-2-2-2-v.3.tac

Imho any lousy tactic works with Man U.

You need to do better with a mediocre or weak relagation team before you try such a post

I'd welcome your input, if you'd like to try it out for yourself and see how it fares with such a side, but fundamentally I think you've missed the point of the tactic. The point is to accurately portray Pellegrini's ideology, not churn out results, as you say anyone can do that with Man U, although based on their IRL form thats debatable right now.

I wrote this up in a rush, and admittedly should have probably posted it in the discussion section but any way I'l break the tactic down for you. The wingers cut in, the strikers go wide, the fullbacks bomb forward and the midfielders hold and pivot. That's pretty much it. I have used it with smaller teams such as Crystal Palace, and it's done fairly well achieving 11th, which for a team of their quality in the league isn't too bad. But like I said before this tactic isn't for results

Archived