[FM 14.2.2] Braumiller's 460 Counter-Cover

I had struggled to implement a strikerless formation in FM14, but after trying out many tactics from these forums and a couple of others to gather ideas and observe successful tactics I have finally come up with an enjoyable and successful tactic which I have played with for over a month, and 6 seasons in game.

There are pieces and parts of this 460 tactic that are imported from other tactics, which I found meshed nicely into the structure and style I was looking to build.

The back 4 is taken from a tactic from another forum which I currently cannot re-find to credit the creators name (once I find it, I will edit this with his user name, but I will not link due to external tactic links being frowned upon). The extra drop in mentality with the two cover DCs and the full backs tucking in play nicely into wanted to build a compact, deep unit to soak up pressure before countering.

The two central midfielders are taken from v2 of Uwe Rosler's initial Fulcrum tactic. I always enjoyed the performance of this role, and it fits perfectly with how I wanted my two MCs to behave once we have possession.

Bullet points on the tactic

* Mentality is counter. This is two fold. A) Against smaller teams, it teases them out of their defensive shell, opening them up. B) Against bigger teams we are less vulnerable and harder to beat

* The strikerless set-up causes their defenders to be free, and can often cause them to push further up to find someone to mark. Again, opening up gaps and lanes for us to exploit with runs off the ball and through balls.

* The outfield players will hunt in a pack trying to win back the ball once the opposition does come forward

* The 2 outside AMCs (Shadow Strikers) and the 2 MCs will bomb forward when we are attacking, giving the Enganche plenty of options for distribution (and the Shadow Strikers, with their instructions to try risky passes for the runners)

* The back four drop deeper, with the full backs tucking in when defending. When in possession a quality full back will offer possession options for others when needed. The central defenders do nothing but recycle possession to those better suited to deal with attacking.

uwnh.jpg

Below are screenshots of the league tables for the 6 seasons I have played with this tactic so far.

460 Year 1 table

460 Year 2 table

460 Year 3 table

460 Year 4 table

460 Year 5 table

460 Year 6 table

Each year we flirted with an 'invincibles' season domestically, but my need for constantly developing the clubs youth prospects has tripped me up occasionally, especially with bigger European games looming.

Overall league results for the past 6 seasons;

P180 W148 D22 L10 F550 A130 GD+420 Pts466 (Pts/game - 2.589)

Misc Notes

* I always play a lot of preseason friendlies against tiny teams, with max match prep on 'Tactics Only' until fully fluid.

* Once fluid, I exclusively use Def Set Pieces, on 10%. This has helped limit the conceding of set piece goals.

* Pitch size for me is not much of a choice. Between domestic and Champions League guidelines my pitch is a fixed 115 yard long and I get to choose between 71 and 74 yards wide. The default when the stadium was built was 71 yards, so I never changed it.

* I never use OI's, except the two that I built into the tactic. Both of the opposition fullbacks are forced back onto their (usually) weaker foot, in field. This funnels them into the strongest part of the field for us.

Player types.

GK, DCs. General, best you can get players.

Fullbacks. Solid defensive players, if pacey and can cross then bonus.

DM. Destroyer type. Nice passing is a bonus for recycling.

MCs. Think Frank Lampard. Solid, all round footballer, but they will be making a lot of runs past the Enganche and will get plenty of chances to score.

Enganche. Prime creator in the side, he needs to be a quality playmaker, with an eye for goal as a bonus. Here is my current player (and captain) - awesome, awesome season - slowly built up his PPMs to what I feel are now perfect for his role

Shadow Strikers. Main goal threats, pace, finishing and composure are musts. Playmaking qualities to pick out other runs are a bonus.

Tactic Download - Braumiller 460 Counter-Cover

NOTE: As with my tactic from last year, this is with a team from one of the 'youth only' challenges found in the Challenge forum. We were initially a non-league Swedish team, but over 26 seasons of nurturing our youth intakes (and zero transfers in) we have grown into a top team in Sweden (bookies favorites for the league each year), but we are still small fry in Europe (bookie odds of 66-1 for Champions League)

Also, strikerless formations obviously need a different squad make-up that most possess by default.

Absolutely loved your tactic last year, best one for me IMO.

Will definitely use this, doing well in it's first game, but I am Man City, will try a lesser team, think it's time for a home town Wolves save with this, especially if it's as good as last years! I'll post results/updates when I reach January and then again at the end of the season.

Fantastic OP too!

Filke, nope, I mentioned in the OP those I took ideas from, either by name (Uwe Rosler's, who I chatted with last week about posting this) or the piece (the back four).

Although I believe the back 4 came from a tactic from that forum. Mods do not appreciate external links such as those, so do not he surprised if your post gets edited.

Not sure of your intentions with your post.

This seems interesting, will give it a try.

Do you make any changes if you are chasing a lead or protecting narrow lead?

What about home/away and favorite/underdog?

I kept it the same the whole time. Subbing in a pacy Shadow Striker will often give you a boost, or fresh legs in defense or midfield to solidify.

Around 4 seasons ago I did experiment for half a season with an attack version which I played purely at home, until going 1-0 up and then switched to the Counter. It was effective, but I preferred the more solid Counter overall.

I would definitely be interested in hearing others findings if they tinker

do u do player training indviduals

I do, but I do this for any save with any tactic. My personal preference is to have team training on Balanced, Low. And then individual training on heavy, for whatever individual attribute or positional role you feel will best improve the player. If you have players moaning about high training workload, then I just drop the individual training to normal/medium (forget the terminology used there, and not home to check in-game)

could it work with smaller clubs ie league 2.?

I believe it would.

In my other youth save I have Weymouth in League 2, and I have only played about 15-20 games with them and although we are predicted to finish dead last (first season in the league) we are in the playoff places right now.

Not a huge sample size though.

trying it with liverpool once its fluid its very good. i was 1 game from the sack lying in 16th but now in a champions league place and enjoying the tactic as most tactics this yr needs time. very good tactic away from home

Glad to hear you are enjoying it! :thup:

Tested it in two FMC games, with both Ajax and Anderlecht. Struggled to made an impact, played fantastic football, made 25 shots a game, but couldn't score more than 1-2 goals per game. Tried lots of different players in the AM positions, but only Nouri performed.

Great wee tactic as used your 550 tactic to great success in 2013 - made a title challenge with LIV first season with no real squad changes but would say that you need two top top TOP Enganche as you have noted above he is the prime creator and if not then must have a back up on the bench. Coutinho is fantastic in this role and also Suarez & Aspas are excellent as Shadow Strikers. Ended up 3rd only 3 points behind City and 4 behind Chelsea who won the league

I've not downloaded this tactic and dont play the same shape but the defensive look of this has just about saved me a putting my fist through the monitor!!

The two CBs on Cover with supporting fullbacks has been a revelation. Not only has my defense improved but the overall performance.

I realise that you borrowed the defensive setup from someone else, so to you for bringing it to my attention and to the original defensive creator. Thanks!

Archived