[FM14] Tower - A different tactic

Updated for FM14.3

Updated to version 1.2 Feb. 28/14

First of all, I have no clue what the name of this formation would be, so I call it 4-2-1-2-1, this formation has won me multiple trophies across a few saves now. These are good results so I thought I would share the tactic. It is not so different than the usual Barca style formations, it just has 2 DM's instead of 2 CM's really, but it is something different to try for any who might be interested.

Standard

2m44spv.jpg

Attacking

2v7yo02.jpg

Defensive

2r2bvhe.jpg

DISCLAIMER: I love 1-0 results, it is what I try to play for, 2-0 is great too but you are NOT going to win many games by more than that and you will lose some too, and even draw some, usually 0-0 or 1-1. This tactic results in the style of game I enjoy, so if it does not work for you, please do not bother to come and rip me or the tactic, it is being shared just in case someone wishes to try something different.

So I will start by saying I LOVE THE HB. It is amazing the options in passing he creates when he slides back between the defenders, it is like a wheel turning, the wingbacks move forward, the center backs spread open a little and he slides right in (almost an innuendo there). Then when the play moves forward, there he is in the DM position like he should be, providing help the other direction. I just can't imagine a formation without the HB at this point in time. I have enjoyed using a HB in every formation with a DM I have tried, even the Fulcrum Silk & Steel (fantastic tactic, try it if you don't like this one, Mr U Rosler is a genius).

The HB is one half of the DM plan, this plan also utilizes the Regista, a more aggressive playmaker. Then I have a BBM in the middle, which is just that much more support coming back and that much more going forward, I tell him to get further forward because he is primarily a player I want to see getting involved in the offense since there are so few options up front, this player needs to be very fit and able to run a lot.

The back 4 are pretty standard, because the HB will cover the center and allow the cetral defenders to go wide a little, we can feel comfortable with Complete Wing Backs to provide more offense. The Regista and BBM get back to help in the middle too, so you can see, this system is sound back and front.

Which brings me to the front... one man up front with 2 inside forwards is all there is. The BBM will rush in and the CWB's will provide extra width when needed so this all comes down to patience in waiting for the goals to come. This will yield a LOT of 1-0 results, which is something I play for. I also have a more offensive setting for the same formation for when I simply must have a goal or for when I am a favorite and decide to start with something more attacking, but it still yields pretty good results for possession. I also have a more defensive setting, for protecting that late lead, though I only use it late in a game, like last 15 minutes or so to shut things down. All the player and team instructions are in the download.

Here is the link to download it: Zip format or 7zip format

I am sure someone might ask why it is called Tower, and well, that is because when I started down the path of creating a tactic that works well it looked more like a Tower and I simply never changed the name of it as it looked less and less like a tower. Now it is just because it helps my team stand tall! From late November until now this is the result of the labor and it has been used on many saves in its varying forms. This tactic as it is posted has been through one Liverpool save for 6 seasons and another Liverpool save for 5 seasons, results posted at the top of this page, one Accrington Stanley save for 3 season in FMC and it did very well, easily avoided relegation the first 2 seasons and challenged for League 2 in the 3rd (finished 2nd on the last game of the season). It was used in a Man U save, but I never consider this a good test because it is beyond painfully easy to win with that team using almost any formation and it was used in a Dortmund save for 3 seasons with all 3 seasons resulting in First Division wins and German Cup wins. I realize this is not a huge field of testing but I feel pretty confident someone else out there might enjoy it, so here it is. Was used in a Whitehawk save to get the English Hero achievement, worked like a charm all the way up.

Posting all of my results and pictures here has become a little pointless now, there would be too many to post since this has been used for a few saves now. It has been highly successful, it was effective bottom to top in a Whitehawk save to get the English hero achievement, it has won me multiple trophies in two separate Liverpool saves, I used it in two Accrington Stanley saves which both yielded many seasons of success. I am comfortable in saying this tactic wins games and the 14.3 update has not slowed it down, if anything, fewer corner goals means there are even more clean sheets!

anyone who has done well with liverpool has got a great tactic i go with the reds & there aint many that have done well. im going 2 give it a go. what about training oi etc. also could u

upload it on a other file as it wont download thanku

I let my ass.man do all of that honestly, and I know some people will think that is crazy but I like the game to actually move.

I'm not sure what you mean by other file? - In case it is because you couldn't open a normal zip file I added a 7zip file link too.

Also, with Liverpool, the first thing you will want to do is acquire another good DM to go with Lucas. It isn't hard to do since you don't need a lot of CM depth, I just rotated Gerrard and Henderson in the middle. My mate recommends Vidal, I like going retro and reacquiring Mascherano.

Exactly what I use(d) to great effect for AC Milan, actually, though my player roles are slightly different.

GK - Sweeper-keeper (S): Simply because I like the idea of one...

DR - Complete Wingback (A): Abate bombing down the flanks.

DCR - Ball Playing Defender (X)

DCL - Central Defender ©

DL - Fullback (S): Not as attack-minded as the RB, but with the option to go forward.

DMCR - Defensive Midfielder (S): Protects the defence on the side where the Wingback is often farther upfield, but not a strict Anchorman

DMCL - Regista (S): The playmaker that also offers a defensive screen, allowed to go forward as well (Montolivo does well here)

CM - Central Midfielder (A): Heavily tweaked, with a ton of personal instructions to turn him into a "False 8", mimicking the way the Diablo CM used to join the attack. A cross between B2B and AP.

AMR - Inside Forward (S)

AML - Winger (A)

ST - Advanced Forward (A)

Fluid, Attacking, Direct, Pass into space, High tempo, Hassle Opponents, Hard Tackling

Worked very, very well, though a lot depends on the quality of the CM. My Wingers didn't perform as great as the rest of the team, though, and I later changed the Defensive Midfielder to another Striker, setting him as DLP(s), turning the thing into a 442/4231 hybrid which worked even better.

Overall though I do love this shape, would like to read more!

Can you post your season results mate?

Will do. - Added to the 2nd post. :)

Exactly what I use(d) to great effect for AC Milan, actually, though my player roles are slightly different.

GK - Sweeper-keeper (S): Simply because I like the idea of one...

DR - Complete Wingback (A): Abate bombing down the flanks.

DCR - Ball Playing Defender (X)

DCL - Central Defender ©

DL - Fullback (S): Not as attack-minded as the RB, but with the option to go forward.

DMCR - Defensive Midfielder (S): Protects the defence on the side where the Wingback is often farther upfield, but not a strict Anchorman

DMCL - Regista (S): The playmaker that also offers a defensive screen, allowed to go forward as well (Montolivo does well here)

CM - Central Midfielder (A): Heavily tweaked, with a ton of personal instructions to turn him into a "False 8", mimicking the way the Diablo CM used to join the attack. A cross between B2B and AP.

AMR - Inside Forward (S)

AML - Winger (A)

ST - Advanced Forward (A)

Fluid, Attacking, Direct, Pass into space, High tempo, Hassle Opponents, Hard Tackling

Worked very, very well, though a lot depends on the quality of the CM. My Wingers didn't perform as great as the rest of the team, though, and I later changed the Defensive Midfielder to another Striker, setting him as DLP(s), turning the thing into a 442/4231 hybrid which worked even better.

Overall though I do love this shape, would like to read more!

I find it simply isn't as good defensively without the HB. This formation to me is all about that player and how he helps the defense open up and cover more area.

Who do you play every match as lone striker F9? Suarez? and whose on your left and right

Actually right now I am using Sinclair, but at the start it was a rotation of Sturridge, Aspas and whoever else I decided to give some games to, I have Suarez playing the left IF position and sometimes Sterling. Basically you have Sterling who can play either side in this formation, Moses for the right side, I like Suarez on the left, depth with Canos, Ibe, Couitino is trainable at these positions but best at left I find. I always look for someone to play the right IF position right away, if you are a legit player go after someone you like and if you don't care about playing legit then obviously someone like Messi is best there. I managed to land Arjen Robben in my 2nd season for this spot, I guess Thomas Müller made him expendable at his advancing age.

link does not work once dowloaded

I am not sure what you mean by this. I just tested it and it worked fine. I am unsure what else to do. They are in a zip file, not sure if you realize that, they need to be extracted to use them.

I play this tactic with Man City, it is a heart attack a minute! I win a lot of games but they are always so close and you just never know when the ME is going to score some lame goal on you. 1-0 and 2-0 a LOT and 1-1 or games like 2-1 a lot too.

Love it.

Actually right now I am using Sinclair, but at the start it was a rotation of Sturridge, Aspas and whoever else I decided to give some games to, I have Suarez playing the left IF position and sometimes Sterling. Basically you have Sterling who can play either side in this formation, Moses for the right side, I like Suarez on the left, depth with Canos, Ibe, Couitino is trainable at these positions but best at left I find. I always look for someone to play the right IF position right away, if you are a legit player go after someone you like and if you don't care about playing legit then obviously someone like Messi is best there. I managed to land Arjen Robben in my 2nd season for this spot, I guess Thomas Müller made him expendable at his advancing age.

I am not sure what you mean by this. I just tested it and it worked fine. I am unsure what else to do. They are in a zip file, not sure if you realize that, they need to be extracted to use them.

Hmm, Coutinho's a sub mostly since you had Suarez on Left IF? Or Coutinho also features on right IF since he is Competent on AMR.

You rotated Hendie and Stevie on BBM, hence Hendie didn't really get to play AMR despite being Competent there? How about Alberto.

Lucas fills one DMC, I assume you had Allen rotating there too or he features on BBM which he is suited for too?

Hmm, Coutinho's a sub mostly since you had Suarez on Left IF? Or Coutinho also features on right IF since he is Competent on AMR.

You rotated Hendie and Stevie on BBM, hence Hendie didn't really get to play AMR despite being Competent there? How about Alberto.

Lucas fills one DMC, I assume you had Allen rotating there too or he features on BBM which he is suited for too?

Actually, I stated before in my first post that I acquired Mascherano for the other DM spot, though I think I should have listened to my friend and got Vidal since he did even better with him, I guess I was just being nostalgic. You can use Coutinho anywhere you wish, he is perfect for rotating on the left side I found so I could also use Suarez up front, I honestly never used Coutinho on the right much if at all because an IF is best with an opposite foot to the side you are playing, Coutinho is right footed so he is best at left IF. I sold Alberto since this formation does not need a AMC. As for the DM rotation, in my current season Pedro Chirivella is playing alongside Lucas and Mascherano now but obviously in the first season I had to use Allen as the backup to Lucas and Mascherano because Chirivella wasn't ready yet. Allen also got some games in the BBM spot because Henderson was injured for a while. In all, with the addition of just one DM there was enough cover but I was also fortunate to not have an abundance of injuries in the middle.

I have a question:

Tower O The use of Home?

Tower D use Away?

Didn't you bother to read properly?

Please read his fourth paragraph, he explained it. Tower (standard) is what he use for both Home/away games i believe. Sometimes team is favourite and you decide to go for more offensive, then choose Tower O. Tower D he uses it and change to it to protect a lead mostly in the last 15mins.

Which brings me to the front... one man up front with 2 inside forwards is all there is. The BBM will rush in and the CWB's will provide extra width when needed so this all comes down to patience in waiting for the goals to come. This will yield a LOT of 1-0 results, which is something I play for. I also have a more offensive setting for the same formation for when I simply must have a goal or for when I am a favorite and decide to start with something more attacking, but it still yields pretty good results for possession. I also have a more defensive setting, for protecting that late lead, though I only use it late in a game, like last 15 minutes or so to shut things down. All the player and team instructions are in the download.

I have a question:

Tower O The use of Home?

Tower D use Away?

I almost always start with the standard Tower and I don't always even change it if things are going well but I do like to protect a lead with the D in the final 15 (around the 75 minute mark), and I use the O when I need a goal, tied late in a game or down by one... you know, simple stuff. If you are a big favorite I have enjoyed starting with the O tactic and yeah, I have started with the D tactic in times away at a tough team but not many times.

I've actually experimented a lot with a HB, Anchorman, and Regista; I find I can get away with using a Regista (with sometimes over 100 passes!) since I have instructed the CM to also close down and tackle, so it's still defensively sound. My LB doesn't bomb forward either, though the RB does, so sometimes a HB is overkill in my setup.

I've actually experimented a lot with a HB, Anchorman, and Regista; I find I can get away with using a Regista (with sometimes over 100 passes!) since I have instructed the CM to also close down and tackle, so it's still defensively sound. My LB doesn't bomb forward either, though the RB does, so sometimes a HB is overkill in my setup.

I can understand that for sure, I just love having my CWB's attacking a lot and feel like the HB allows for this really well, when he moves back the CD's can widen a little and cover for the CWB's being forward. This formation has never been beat over the top, in fact, if it weren't for the corner/set piece scramble craziness and my keeper gifting goals almost every game would be a clean sheet for me.

You make a good point though, it may be overkill to try and keep that 0 but it is working out pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated this tactic a bunch, mostly the defensive formation, I found ways to increase the chances of keeping that 0, DW's sure helps a lot in this. I also made the attacking part of the set a little more practical, it gets better results now also.

For those who are interested this tactic does indeed seem to be useful for lower division teams also, results of my Whitehawk game to be posted very soon :)

Archived