[FM14] Oliver Jensen's Nomadic Career Thread

fmFutbolManager

Welcome, Welkom, Willkommen.

For a while now it has been on my mind to start my first journeyman save. This is also my first career thread. Typically I'll pick a team and stay there for as long as possible, building a new team from the ground up, to dominate for years. However, this time around I have not been able to get into a decent long-term save so I'm starting unemployed. I'll end up where I'm taken.

I'll also post updates to twitter, this is my Football Manager account: @FMFutbolManager

I don't really have many aims for my career, but I would like to one day win the Champions League when I've built up enough experience and warrant a position at a larger club.

I've loaded up a large database with the following nations:

Austria, Erste Liga

Belgium, Derde Klasse

England, League 2

France, Championnat National

Germany, 2. Bundesliga

Italy, Serie B

Netherlands, Jupiler League

Portugal, Liga2 Cabovisão

Spain, Segunda B

I'm starting unemployed so will begin the search for my first football club.

hR6uBKR.png

Thank you for following.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick review of the team, there are some good players to work with here, unfortunately they're all loan signings. Other than these the club is in a pretty poor state. No money for signings, no budget for wages. It looks like the first season is going to be a relegation battle. The defence is really poor, so this is something I will look to address.

Not the sort of start I would have hoped for. But we have to start somewhere.

bo5hy5D.png

July 2013 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Fixtures.

Not the best start to the friendlies, we were outplayed all over the park. I tried a 4-2-3-1 but it really wasn't happening. It exposed us defensively and we were overrun. From this I decided we'd be better with some support so swapped for a 4-3-3 with a DM, two CMs and two AMs. This bought us a couple of good results, albeit against smaller opposition. In the match against Arroyo we were 7-1 up by half time with Agon Mehmeti scoring six goals.

FD957ii.png

Transfers.

Due to the precarious finances I have only strengthened the defence with a free and a loan signing.

Youssef El-Akchaoui | Free transfer

Cléberson | Loan signing (£600p/m)

2QeO0La.png

Next up...

Really excited for the season. A few more good results in pre-season and hopefully we can hit the ground running. If we can further tighten up the defence and keep up the impressive scoring we'll be more than safe this coming season, maybe even get into mid-table territory.T

Thanks for reading.

August 2013 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Results: Friendlies

The rest of the pre-season didn't go as well as it could have done. We finished with a good result but in all honesty it was against some poor opposition. I thought we could have won all the games, and should have done really, but I did tinker with the tactic a lot to get to where I wanted to be.

pqtbQLu.png

Results: Liga ZON SAGRES

The start to the season has been a fantastic, unbelievable month. Not many would have predicted the start we had. Porto and Sporting CP in the first three fixtures could have dented our moral going into the season. The win against Porto was all the more impressive due to the fact their their goal was an own goal. It was a comfortable win against Belenenses and I would have taken the draw against Sporting before the game but a late goal in stoppage time in the first half was the final goal of the game in a 1-1 draw.

Gd6iC0L.png

The League Table: Liga ZON SAGRES

jXHOOJg.png

Transfers.

No incoming transfers, despite three key injuries this month.

Next up...

I can't get over the start we've had. Very excited for this season. I'm playing a very rigid, defensive formation with defensive wingers and supporting full backs and it seems to be working the trick. It's a busy month with our first cup game too.

No additional signings so we go into the season with what we have.

September 2013 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Shocked. After last month and the start we made we've completely let ourselves down. Injuries have played a part. I've been without my key defender, midfielders and striker. It hasn't been good. Hopefully we can snap out of this form next month.

6KRIcVf.png

Results: Taça de Liga

In a game we were expected to win it was a bit of a formality in the end. But the result did flatter us. I put out a weaker side to save my players legs. We only scored two late goals to win the game.

uGssuua.png

We are in a good position for now. But we will need to start picking up points again next month after none in September. Nice to see my two wingers featuring in top assists and goals.

xmdAlBf.png

oQY1BsQ.png

Next up...

Regretting not getting in some reinforcements now. We were thin with the injuries and it has cost us in the league. Bitterly disappointed on missing out on Manager of the month for last month on a technicality. Because the team below us only played 2 and won two, their 100% win record bettered by 66%, despite my results against the top teams.

Still, we move on. There's a lot more football to be played and if we play like I know we can then we will be safe come the end of the season.

Upcoming fixtures for October.

MAhaZTB.png

Thanks for reading.

October 2013 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

I had to call a team meeting as we've now lost five games in a row which is completely unacceptable. In the game against Braga we had twice the shots and three-times the clear cut chances but lost to a 94th minute goal. The moral is low. The fans are unhappy. The board are questioning their decision to appoint me. I need to turn this around fast or I'll be searching for a new job.

kihH9IP.png

Results: Taça de Liga

The second leg was a formality. I rested my entire first team with confidence that I wouldn't lose by a big enough margin to go out. Plus I was so angry at the Braga result I didn't want any of them taking part.

1xeljkY.png

We are only one loss away from being in the relegation zone now. We are in serious need of some points. I might have to rethink my tactics because they're failing me now after such a good start.

ZLUZwUb.png

PfHHB6u.png

Next up...

Dissapointing month. No win and by the looks of it no hope. Surprisingly my job is still stable, but I fear this is only because it would cost the board too much to get rid of me. The next couple of games are against teams below me. I want nothing by maximum points from these two games.

Upcoming fixtures for November.

BYiq3XH.png

Thanks for reading.

November 2013 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

Finally back to winning ways. We are creating a lot of clear cut chances, but my strikers are not finishing them off. It says a lot when my leading goal scorer is a defensive winger. Still, I'm happy we came through the month with a 100% record.

LOwqIFN.png

Results: Taça de Portugal

Disappointing to go out, but it wasn't a priority. I gave a few of the fringe players a go and they reminded me why they're fringe players.

71p0zBW.png

A bit of breathing space in the league now. It was all about survival this season. Hopefully we can push on and our league form will improve. We have more than enough to beat those around us.

FjGXPtD.png

J5KKBTV.png

Finances

Usually I will tend not to pay much attention here, as I will only spend the wages I'm given. However, I just noticed our bank balance is currently €1,239,937 which is dreadful. Additionally, we're predicted to end the season nearly €3.5m in the red. I don't think we can recoup this sort of money over the season with TV deals etc. so something will need to be done to reduce this deficit.

I don't think we can get European football this year, but I think with some key loan signings next season, we need to get higher up and reduce the wage bill. We don't have any players of value to sell so that's out of the question too.

Next up...

An excellent month, although we only had two games, we're improving. The players' moral is improving. So hopefully this is the start of our push to finish comfortably this season

Upcoming fixtures for December.

pPetOGf.png

Thanks for reading.

Keeping well clear of the predicted relegation battle.

It's quite tight still. I was never aware of how few teams there are in this league so I'm able to play with a relatively small squad and keep the players fresh. I think that's helping. Next month is a big one as we should be getting a result against all the teams here.

Two big wins there and you're safely in midtable right now. Got some very winnable games coming up in the next month. Things are certainly looking up after that bad run. :thup:

Thanks Tom. It's amazing how a couple of wins can turn things around. Big month up next for us.

Sat nicely at the moment.
So far so good :thup:

Thanks guys. It's picking up. Consolidation is key. I've just noticed that we have a player on €17,250-a-week. The average wage is €2,100 in the squad. I cannot seem to get rid of him which is a shame as I could really do with those wages to strengthen. Ivan Klasnic is available on a free, I'd love to bring him in.

December 2013 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

Results | Liga ZON SAGRES

What a painful month. A win to start off with was fantastic. We played really well, created a lot of chances and deserved to win. Against Acedémica we conceded on the 79th minute, despite creating several clear cut chances. And then against Guimarães we were 2-0 down at half time. Pulled it back to 2-2 and then in the 87th minute conceded a stupid goal to lose the game. For this I'd dropped my star striker and put in a kid, Gonçalves and he got a brace, so will be keeping his place for a while. Mehmeti is costing me €17,250-a-week, so will be getting rid as soon as possible as he is not returning on that value.

Mq6H6zE.png

The League Table | Liga ZON SAGRES

A bigger gap now from the bottom. Although there are still games to play, I am confident we will be safe. I've started scouting for the summer. We're going to lose 10 players when they return from their loans with us, so I've started preparing already.

BxigqtB.png

Ps4sQAa.png

Results | Taça da Liga

Not an easy group, but we should have done better in our opening game. Not too concerned with this competition. We're never going to win it, but it's the moral of the players going back into the league games I'm worried about.

N91AJmK.png

gFoMakW.png

Next up...

Before the month I'd have taken three wins. So I should be happy with this. Couple of hard games coming up in January. I'll have a point here, no matter how I get it.

Upcoming fixtures for January.

FGKu6Wc.png

Thanks for reading.

Can anyone tell me what the key attributes are for a striker to score goals, and in order of importance.

I'd guess composure and finishing are key, but is there anything else. I'm trying to scout for a loan signing, but at the moment I only have small scouting knowledge. Unless anyone can recommend a good player for loan to a relegation candidate in Portugal.

Not a bad draw for the Taça da Liga. Group D looks like the group of death. Would have preferred group A, but I don't think I'm going to take this competition too seriously. The board want a respectable showing, so I'll try not to get too battered.

fZFBT8c.png

I usually play a 442 with a poacher and a target man/complete forward. The poacher is my main goalscorer and for him I look for:

Finishing

Composure

Acceleration

Pace

Off the Ball

As it happens I've now had my wage budget reduced by €10k so cannot afford to get anyone in on loan now. So we have to get to the end of the season with what we have.

Doing fine in the league. Midtable would be excellent, and even now you look like you should easily survive relegation.

Yeah the aim was to avoid relegation. That's what the chairman asked of me. Anything above is a bonus now.

Okay I need some defending advice because I'm getting caught like this too much now.

My four defenders and defensive midfielders are circled here. They're all to the right of the penalty area. They're very narrow leaving their right winger in acres of space. In this scenario, he went on to have their first and only shot of the half, being clear cut and a goal.

I concede like this too much. Any ideas to help me shore up my defence because we're conceding too many which is costing us vital points.

Thanks.

2zwxUOj.jpg

This is how we setup. We're playing defensively or on the counter and very rigid. I'll try setting the DWs to man mark the opposition wingers, thanks to rtherringbone.

3Ihzdk3.png

I would be interested as well in what you find out in the above scenario. I conceded like mad that way no matter what I do, or what teams I use. I even went as far to set my FB to D with specific man mark/tight and made my winger a DW D with man marking the SAME player (double marking) and sure enough ...same thing happened still .... I cannot figure that one out ...driving me mad.

January 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

A difficult month but fantastic to get a point away at Porto. That's four points we've taken off them this year. It's a shame we cannot play like we did in other games. We were also 2-0 up, so disappointed not to have held out. The loss to Estoril was disappointing, but I've made some tactical changes so will see how they work next month.

27otwWD.png

Mid-table seems to be the position we're expecting to finish in now. Nine points above relegation, so bar a catastrophic run we should be safe and guarantee top tier football next season.

A237nTo.png

Results | Taça da Liga

Disappointing in the end, but it wasn't a trophy we were going for. Mainly played a reserve side and it showed in the results.

gkVmXQP.png

tWtiUa1.png

Transfers

None. Having €10,000 slashed from our budget meant I had to get rid of a couple of players so I've managed to take €5,000 off the wage bill, but we need to cut more. We're dropping deeper and deeper into the red. We need some serious investment.

Next up...

It's going to be a nightmare month. Anything more than three points next month will be a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Upcoming fixtures for February.

35HSjFL.png

Thanks for reading.

I would be interested as well in what you find out in the above scenario. I conceded like mad that way no matter what I do, or what teams I use. I even went as far to set my FB to D with specific man mark/tight and made my winger a DW D with man marking the SAME player (double marking) and sure enough ...same thing happened still .... I cannot figure that one out ...driving me mad.

I was using hassle opponents. Was pulling me all over the place. I've removed this and my shape is retained a lot better.

Tough fixtures coming up for you. Hopefully you can pick up points against Sporting CP and Benfica.

Sporting CP and Benfica will likely beat me. But we shall see.

February 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

A difficult month again. A good win but we've been battered in the other games, but these were against top teams so it was expected. Home stretch of the season now.

PBAnlus.png

Ten games to go. We have to be safe.

O4pW7nB.png

Next up...

It should be an easier month coming up with some games against teams we really should be beating.

Upcoming fixtures for March.

xodnI1M.png

Thanks for reading.

This is much needed.

livyQmq.png

Still nine clear of the relegation zone. :thup:

Two tough games next month, but also two winnable ones - be positive!

I think we're safe now. Marítimo are having an outstanding season, and proving really hard to beat. They've battered me twice now.

March 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

A dreadful month. Absolutely disgusted by the way we've thrown away points, game after game after game. A good 4-2 win over Paços, but again a lack of a clean sheet was worrying. We've conceded in 14 straight games this season. Keeping just 2 clean sheets in all competitions. Against Rio Ave we conceded from a corner, and an own goal on 84 minutes to throw away 2 points. Braga was a spectacular performance, of which I wonder why we cannot play like that ever week. 2-0 up but in typical Olhanense fashion, we conceded. Against Arouca we were shocking. Threw away chance after chance. Their goal quick comical, they're bottom of the league, my defender threw the ball across the face of my goal to their striker to tap in. Crazy scenes. I've never even seen a defender try to throw a ball to a keeper before. But this was ridiculous. Thanks chaps. Then again, 2-0 up against Nacional and cruising with 10 shots to their 0. We draw 2-2 by yet more late goals, 2 more coming in the last 10 minutes which is a theme for us. We're always conceding in the last moments of games.

Disapointed as we really should have come away with at least 12 points, rather than 8.

hteOx37.png

We should be sitting in 6th, but instead down in 11th. We could have had a dream start to obtain European football at our first chance, but that's not going to happen now. We're not going to make up the 8 points. I shouldn't be disappointed because we've avoided relegation. But we could have done so much more. I've scouted for the majority of my summer acquisitions. I just hope I can get in the players that will take us forward. We're finally breaking forward and creating the chances with Gonçalves growing in confidence. He's only 19. If we can get in some decent defenders and a strong DM we're going to be around the top end of the table.

8CP50e9.png

Next up...

I'm setting myself a target of 7 points in April. Perhaps expectations are too high, but I know these players can perform better than they are. I just need to work on defending set pieces more.

Upcoming fixtures for April.

2KFUlsd.png

Thanks for reading.

April 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

A much, much better showing and we reached our target of 7 points. Although we're still conceding goals—more than likely my fault tactically than the players'—we're scoring for fun at the moment. We're putting away all our clear cut chances which wasn't happening before. Gonçalves is turning into an excellent prospect. It's just a shame he's decided he doesn't want a new contract with me, so next season will likely be his last.

Here are the results from the month.

VRoOIIW.png

I'm very happy with the position we're in. Last month I was perhaps overly critical, but I keep forgetting the ability of the players. I expect more than I should perhaps. We're very fortunate to be where we are — I'm just awaiting my new contract as we speak. It's also nice to have a positive goal difference.

lSbiKgq.png

Next up...

I'm setting myself a target of 4 points in May. There's no reason why we can't achieve that.

Upcoming fixtures for May.

VX1fBLf.png

Thanks for reading.

Thanks Tom. Really pleased with the way we've been playing. Two more games to play and then the real challenge comes trying to move away from the need for loan signings and making this club sustainable. The youth products were disappointing, nothing more than 2 stars in there. I have a €55,000 budget for next season. There are going to be tough times ahead, but really enjoying this league. Never played in Portugal before.

May 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

I'm shocked. I thought my mini-meltdown earlier in the season was a little over the top, but it was justified. These players were capable of so much more and they've proved it again today. A magnificent effort this month, albeit against opposition we should be beating.

The final months results.

fMsjTDF.png

I couldn't have asked for any better. To finish 6th was beyond anyones expectations. We were lucky that the teams around us all dropped points at the end of the season when we had our wobble. The only worry is how to top this next season. Unfortunately for us, rather unexpectedly Guimarães made the Taça de Portugal final, so regardless of the result, they made the Europa League. Absolutely gutted to have done so well and miss out.

Sporting CP going on to be eventual champions after a very close title race. Our victory against Gil Vicente was inconsequential as it happens as they'd still have been relegated.

K4FhpRl.png

Next up...

An end of season review. Coming soon.

Thanks for reading.

End of Season Review 2013/14 | S.C. Olhanense Annual review

Ih97O7y.png

Review | Liga ZON SAGRES

I'm still in shock. We were outstanding towards the end of the season. The last 10 games read: W6 D3 L1 F23 A10 P21 which lead us up to our highest ever league position. Extreamely unlucky that Guimarães reached the Taça de Portugal final as it meant they were guaranteed the final Europa League post by virtue that Porto finished high enough in the league to qualify for the Champions League.

Still, we have a base to build on, and if we can get in enough quality over the summer to replace those loan signings that will be departing then we have a good shot at it again.

Review | Taça de Portugal

A comfortable 6-1 win in the 3rd round against Famalicão perhaps flattered us, although they play in the Campeonato Nacional Série B. The 4th round came up against Setúbal where we lost 2-0 away from home. It was disappointing but we rested players for the game due to a small squad and our league commitments. I will be hoping to do better next season.

Review | Taça de Liga

A very disappointing show, but again we didn't take it too seriously. We comfortably qualified for the group, but were disappointing and achieved a solitary point. If we can build up a big enough squad we will look to do better next year. Although it isn't a board priority at the moment.

Awards, Records and Achievements

It was quite an amazing season and various awards were issued to our players and staff. I have tried to say what the awards are, but I don't know all of them unfortunately. Here is a review.

Player records and achievements:

João Ribero placed first in the Melhor Jogador Português do Ano em Portugal

João Ribero won the Jogador do Ano da Liga ZON SAGRES

João Ribero placed third in the Melhor Marcador da Liga ZON SAGRES (top league scorer)

Diego Gonçalves placed first in the Mais Prémios de Melhor em Campo da Liga ZON SAGRES (most MOM awards)

Femi Balogun placed third for the Mais Assistências no Ano da Liga ZON SAGRES (most assists in the league)

Balagun, Jander, Ribeiro and Gonçalves named in the Equipa do Ano da Liga ZON SAGRES

Ricardo, Jander and Bigazzi named in the Equipa da Semana da Liga ZON SAGRES

Oliver Jensen placed third in the Treinador do Ano da Lifa ZON SAGRES (manager of the year)

Club Records and achievements:

Most games unbeaten (six)

Record high league position (6th)

Olhanense placed second in the Equipa Portuguesa com Evolução do Ano (most improved club)

What's Next...

Well, we're about to lose 8 loan players and 5 senior players whose contracts are about to expire. I think I need about 11 players to come into the squad. Fortunately I have my key front three with me for another season.

My transfer budget is €0 and my wage budget is €56k. Whether or not this changes during the new season only time will tell. All I know is that it's going to be a tough task to assemble a team capable of finishing 6th in the league on an average wage for my ideal 20 man squad on €2,800-a-week.

I'd like to recruit some better scouts and back room staff to help me with the running of the club. Additionally I'd like to focus more on youth as this will be key for us with being so financially poor. We have a financial deficit we need to try and close.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks Delta. I've had a fairly productive pre-season, but I think my team is only as strong as last season. I've not managed to build on it because of our reliance on loan players last year. I've managed to make a few free transfers and a few loans so hopefully we can be around the same position as last year. Getting into the Europa League is my objective this season. We were so unlucky last year.

Season Review 2014/15 | S.C. Olhanense Season review

Ih97O7y.png

Board Expectations | My Expectations

Liga ZON SAGRES: Respectable league position | Top six place (Europa League place)

Taça de Portugal: Reach the sixth round | Reach the sixth round

Taça de Liga: To be competitive | To be competitive

My board don't seem to be too worried about the cup competitions. I'll be using them to give squad players games again. I have a 30 man squad, so I'll be looking to give people games in those competitions and allow them a chance to impress. The squad and board think a respectable or mid-table position is fine. I think we can do better. European football is key if we're to grow as a club.

Transfers

It has been a very busy transfer window. 17 players left, so I replaced them with 17 others. A mixture of youth and experience, with some loan players when I ran out of loan budget. We linked up with Lyon (thanks Tom), so took a couple of their players in for the season.

2dDtiGg.png

Cannot wait for pre-season to finish and the season to begin.

Thanks for reading.

August 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

Results | Friendlies

They don't really mean much, but some good results. Albeit against lower opposition.

6IBOQbT.png

Not the best of starts. We were battered by Sporting CP, they could have had a lot more, but eventually broke the deadlock with 65 minutes gone through Cédric Soares. Should have beaten Setúbal, we dominated but just couldn't get the goal to take all three points. It was a different story against newly promoted Portimonense, a big win for us and new boy Diego Testa bagging four goals.

3pICGKk.png

Doesn't mean much at the moment, but after three games we're in a good position to maintain upper league table position.

OWQAiAw.png

Next up...

A good month. Considering 17 new players came in, they're going to need time to gel.

Upcoming fixtures for September.

WoeWHSq.png

Thanks for reading.

September 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

It was a better month than perhaps the results might show. Very disappointed to draw against Belenenses considering they were bottom of the league and we were 2-0 up. However, Gonçalves got injured and it seemed that putting a midfielder as a striker upset the balance and we completely lost the second half. A good win followed at home to Rio Ave, who I'd consider contenders to that elusive sixth spot. Then the Benfica game... We should have won, but we gave away so many stupid goals. We lead three times but could never hold on. A draw would have been a fairer result, but these things happen in football.

uOF5OtK.png

I would like to have had a couple more points on the board considering the opposition we've faced so far but we're trying to blend in 17 new players so can forgive the team for the results so far. We're in a good position now to start picking up some points.

aW7ufAv.png

Next up...

Should be an easy couple of games before we face Porto. A team that are yet to take all three points from me.

Upcoming fixtures for October.

0OsSkDZ.png

Thanks for reading.

Archived