How to score goals in this game?

It is unbelievable how hard it is for my strikers to score especialy against weak teams that park the bus...they miss one on one and half chances with incredible precision...my last game i played against Crotone the last team in serie A with only 15 pts(14 before our game) in 28 games(68 goals allowed!!!) and only did a 1-1 after missing goals from every position with players such as Jovetic, Zaha, Benzia, Tadic every one of them miss easy chances. My problem is not that the oppossition scored(from 2 occassion they scored 1 with a player much worse then my offensive players), as a played very open attacking football, but the scoring problem(for my team). It is not a problem(this game if it is one in let't say 7-8 game) this happens IRL as well, but class strikers to miss from every angle game after game is not right. They need to do something with finishing, strikers right now are worthless! I will put the stats for this game but this is only stats, if someone would see the replay they will understand my complain. My players missing one on one with the keeper is ok, i got used to this, but even with empty net...cross bar after cross bar and the usual stuff. And to not be open again after i scored the equaliser i tried counter attack, if a continued with attacking they would win with 2-1 and i will have even more shoot maybe 50 :) So after 60 min i didn't press anymore and nothing happened from 60 min to end of game...so the stats are basically from 0-60 min.

Sorry my bad english, not my first language.

http://i43.tinypic.com/zsqxoj.jpg[/img]"]zsqxoj.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post up a pic of your tactics to give us an idea of how your team plays and you'll get some advice.

A general observation though is that you had 31 shots and only 3 clear chances therefore the ME doesn't feel you are creating lots of easy chances despite what you view with the 3d.

More quality and less quantity is the answer.

First of all the ME commentary at the end of the game said something "Udinese should have one the game easily" sadistic i would say...i play every game with "work ball into box" so not many shot way of target. Also play very good as i'm first in the league and i had won the year before serie A, so tactic is not an issue, the players are very good so not a problem with tactic, the only problem is with missing easy shot because of ME.

"More quality and less quantity is the answer." - when i have 6-7 CCC i score 1 max 2 so don't get the discussion there... is not about CCC, or tactic, i seen the game(crotone-udinese), played for 5 season and i know what i see, it is all about strikers can't score one on one, simple as that.

I don't care about winning, is about scoring goals, i also lost against Juve stabia at home, was first victory for them in Serie A after 20 games i think, and i wouldn't complain, i was playing bad football so the result is not an issue, is the scoring goals, when you have easy chances(not CCC, some half chances are definitely CCC but the game say half chance) a big problem, when your players have 15-17 finishing and 15 composure.

What use is 15-17 finishing when the team you're playing against is playing so massively defensively that your players don't get the chance to really play to their best?

The longer your team go playing like that, the more frustrated your players (especially your strikers) will become and the less effective they'll be.

To beat a team like that you need to draw them out of their defensive posture and attack the space that is then created. There's no point continually throwing rocks at a barn door - sure you might get lucky and one will break through, but it's so much easier to open the door first and then​ throw.

I said in the first post that stats aren't everything you must see the game sometime to understand, my players had many chances to "really play to their best" - the only 3 CCC are misleading. Don't know if it is exactly your advice but in the last 20 -30 min i had play counter especialy for wining space but no major thing happend for my or for opposition...

ps: I had an half chance(as the game said) Benzia from angle with empty net

Why is the opposition taking their chances, they use the same ME as you?

They were lucky, don't know...(see the picture)

http://i39.tinypic.com/30lf4gy.jpg[/img]"]30lf4gy.jpghttp://i41.tinypic.com/33l06ip.jpg[/img]"]33l06ip.jpg

ps: I never play with shoot on sight(this is another problem with ME) - don't know way they shot sometime long shot, but still, i had many easy chances...

How did that shot go out for a throw in? :D

Nearly all of those shots have come in from angles, and I imagine there were always defenders near or in front of them.

Also that is far, far too many shots from distance - and it'll be because of the defensive nature of your oppositions. It's because the opposition are just happy to sit there and soak up your attacks, making very little attacking movement of their own. The way to win these matches is to encourage them to attack more often - it's the only way you'll make enough space to fashion good chances.

Out of interest do you use either of the higher tempo or the much higher tempo shouts? I had this problem with a couple of my teams, loads of shots and clear cut chances but a lack of goals, I removed the higher tempo shout and although we got less shots we scored more and created chances that were easier for the strikers to score from. It might not be this though as I'm no tactics expert :)

Throwing attack after attack just isn't going to work.

Why it shouldn't? It happens in real life of course, but how many times? 3-4 all over a season? In my opinion, defensive/counter play rewards way too much. I won a World Cup with Italy with ridicolous shots on target stats, playing defensive and sitting comfortably inside my area for 5 matches on 7 played.

Cosmo, does this happen often to you or is just the first match you play where your team hammers the opponents unsuccessfully?

In this game a had used both of them, especialy in the second half, after seeing slow tempo doesn't worked. It is a mistery how hard are the games with Crotone, Juve stabia and all those parked bus teams, harder then Milan, Juve or Inter :)

"defensive/counter play rewards way too much" - 100% on the same opinion, that's way i struggle with Crotone(attacking football) and win easily with Milan(counter). This has to be wrong...

"Cosmo, does this happen often to you or is just the first match you play where your team hammers the opponents unsuccessfully?" - 1 in 2 games when i play against a weak team.(5-0 with Genoa, then lose 2-0 with Livorno, win 4-0 Brescia, 1-1 Crotone, etc)

Why it shouldn't? It happens in real life of course, but how many times? 3-4 all over a season? In my opinion, defensive/counter play rewards way too much. I won a World Cup with Italy with ridicolous shots on target stats, playing defensive and sitting comfortably inside my area for 5 matches on 7 played.

Cosmo, does this happen often to you or is just the first match you play where your team hammers the opponents unsuccessfully?

If you're playing against a team parking the bus, patience is key.

Well in Italy especially playing against smaller teams is very hard, nothing new with this. As said above it happens you can draw or even lose against these teams. The problem is whether you see this on almost every match you play.

Yeah but... 3 CCCs and 10 (ten) HCs.

Unluck, that's all.

I had every patience in the world in this game, the key is to score first, even from a corner, then the game is very easy...but if they score then is a nightmare. And to score first strikers need to convert easy chances but the ME don't allow that, the pass to GK at least 4 in 5 time...

And to score first strikers need to convert easy chances but the ME don't allow that

Of course it does. Otherwise every single player would be in the same boat, and there's been plenty examples showing that's not the case.

You need to stop immediately blaming the ME whenever things don't go your way.

I had every patience in the world in this game, the key is to score first, even from a corner, then the game is very easy...but if they score then is a nightmare. And to score first strikers need to convert easy chances but the ME don't allow that, the pass to GK at least 4 in 5 time...

No you didn't you had 31 friggin shots thats not patience!

But I do agree first goal is vital just like IRL and for the favourite/dominating side in a match if it doesn't go their way it makes it that much harder.

EDIT

I am also confident that I've never had 31 shots in a 90 minute match in any version of FM over the last 20 years, thats well over 400 seasons & 20,000 matches.

But I do agree first goal is vital just like IRL and for the favourite/dominating side in a match if it doesn't go their way it makes it that much harder.

I agree. I wonder where one could find stats for how often the team scoring first wins?

No you didn't you had 31 friggin shots thats not patience!

EDIT

I am also confident that I've never had 31 shots in a 90 minute match in any version of FM over the last 20 years, thats well over 400 seasons & 20,000 matches.

And as i said, after 60 min(when i scored)i stopped the cavalry, if i was playing the same i would have lost 2-1 with maybe 50 shots :)

But what is the tactical solution, everybody saying patience, space, not ME, etc...but what is the tactical solution for not missing one on one so often(i do agree that is normal to miss, but at leat 1 in 3 needs to be a goal with class strikers)? Other then a patch?!?

Seen something like that, can't remember where and when... :p

Well... surely not in 1982. In 2006 we won 1-0 playing 10 men on first elimination round. 3-0 quarter-finals, 2-0 semifinal and won the Cup on PKs when France scored form an invented penalty and Italy hit the bar once and had 1 regualar goal disallowed. Anyway.. let's stop this small OT and maybe let's stop silly clichès as well :)

Fact is teams playing defensive or counter are too much rewarded in this patch, in my opinion. PaulC said IA counter would have been improved with 14.2.0. Well done then, I'd say.

Well... surely not in 1982. In 2006 we won 1-0 playing 10 men on first elimination round. 3-0 quarter-finals, 2-0 semifinal and won the Cup on PKs when France scored form an invented penalty and Italy hit the bar once and had 1 regualar goal disallowed. Anyway.. let's stop this small OT and maybe let's stop silly clichès as well :)

Fact is teams playing defensive or counter are too much rewarded in this patch, in my opinion. PaulC said IA counter would have been improved with 14.2.0. Well done then, I'd say.

Fact ist, that's not a fact, that's merely an opinion. :)

And Italy 2006 wasn't that far off to your statement, compared to the other "dominant" teams, their shot count was rather lowish. Chelsea's CL tite 2012 would be a far more appropriate example though, in FM we'd have filled the forums with pages full of rageposts...

Fact ist, that's not a fact, that's merely an opinion. :)

Mm... good point :)

But what I meant is that to me defensive play is too well rewarded. And to me that is a fact. I doubt the use of that word might be slightly different for you english people. Anyway, my bad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5137670.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5122644.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5148796.stm

Last match apart, it seems Italy played decent enough to get the right to play the final.

Hehe yeah sorry Ackter :)

Anyway I'm curious to know what of a tactic could be tweaked in order to make a striker able to score on 1-to-1. Open field, no pressure.

A tactic with good play and not too many low-percentage finishing tries. Everything that causes a better mental state to be clinical in eventual 1on1s, regardless of the 1on1 conversion rate being too high or low, which I can't argue on w/o facts.

Hehe yeah sorry Ackter :)

Anyway I'm curious to know what of a tactic could be tweaked in order to make a striker able to score on 1-to-1. Open field, no pressure.

In terms of tactics its a case of not trying to rush players, try to give them time on the ball so they don't rush the shots and try to create the 1v1s in the right area.

Just like IRL a player running directly at the GK is a much easier save and a harder shot as the keeper only has one angle to worry about. Its much more difficult to save angled balls delivered into the channels as there are two angles for the keeper to estimate.

I know the answer for 1 v 1, i don't say it because Dagenham_Dave would say to stop blame the .... :) Other way for my striker to score are cross(as 1v1 is impossible) but don't know what is the best aim for one pacey striker aim center, near or far post? If someone can help me i would appreciate as for now my poacher/adv strikers are useless...i use drill crosses(don't have tall strikers), but i can't decide which "aim" is better for a poacher/adv forwrd. Thanks!

In terms of tactics its a case of not trying to rush players, try to give them time on the ball so they don't rush the shots and try to create the 1v1s in the right area.

Just like IRL a player running directly at the GK is a much easier save and a harder shot as the keeper only has one angle to worry about. Its much more difficult to save angled balls delivered into the channels as there are two angles for the keeper to estimate.

It's also going to create a snowball effect. If you're playing at 100mph and rushing shots, they'll most likely be weak or miss. That starts to weigh on the players mentally. Pretty soon they're "nervous" and from there it goes downhill, fast.

I'm sorry but I find this pretty confusing. I mean... the purpose of a tactic is to create chances for scoring goals, right? ok... my midfielder delivers a fantastic ball for my central forward who must rush toward the goal for not being tackled by opponents. Now the situations is: Tevez, in my case, or Doumbia, or Jovetic or Eto'o runs from 35 mt. toward the goal, alone, unmarked, free.. the goalie walks a bit out. The striker could: 1) lob 2) shot down right 3) shot down left 4) dribble the goalie right 5) dribble to goalie left, and score. But the most of times he shots a coconut straight to goalie's face.

What of an individual setting should be tweaked for make him score this easy chance?

I have seen enough matches along my life to reckon not every 1v1 lead to a sure goal... actually I've seen even worse instances of stupid miss on empty net. But when this occurr multiple times on every match I suspect there is something mathematical not allowing to score these CCCs my team create.

Should I create less?

It's also going to create a snowball effect. If you're playing at 100mph and rushing shots, they'll most likely be weak or miss. That starts to weigh on the players mentally. Pretty soon they're "nervous" and from there it goes downhill, fast.

Mm. This could be a good point.

But I noticed these miss even when comfortably winning (too complacent?), or at the start of the match or playing slow tempo and cautious. Basically always and whatever the situation.

I know the answer for 1 v 1, i don't say it because Dagenham_Dave would say to stop blame the .... :)!

You're once again implying that the match engine being at fault is stopping you scoring 1v1s, so I'll ask you for a 2nd time - If that was the case, how can it be that both the computer controlled teams and many human users who post on here manage it fine? Think about it.

You're once again implying that the match engine being at fault is stopping you scoring 1v1s, so I'll ask you for a 2nd time - If that was the case, how can it be that both the computer controlled teams and many human users who post on here manage it fine? Think about it.

The AI is struggling also to score against me from 1v1, they score alot from corners, own goals, and strange goals(they in my opinion have a better ratio 1v1 then me but also very low). About the other human ... if you read the feedback thread you will see most of the users complaining about this, but this is not my problem what others do, i base my opinion on WHAT I SEE! ME prevent those scoring chances, this is my opinion, maybe SI does this to maintain results low, to not see 8-2 or same other crazy results...don't know way. Is very hard for me to explain and to make conversation as my english is very limitated and i can't explain myself very good :)

About crosses, please an answer, i'm feed up to play with one men less, as my striker(everyone of them) doing NOTHING! Need to find a way for them to score.

About crosses, please an answer, i'm feed up to play with one men less, as my striker(everyone of them) doing NOTHING! Need to find a way for them to score.

Well, you don't really 'need' them to score if your team is doing as well as you said earlier in the thread, but that's by the by.

I'll give you the same advice I offered someone else. Let your Assistant Manager control your next five games (ie holiday through them), then go back and watch the highlights of them. You say you're top of the league, so I assume you have good players and a decent basic tactic. I'm almost 100% certain you'll see a big difference in those games to the ones you control yourself. If you can, make sure at least one of them is against one of the lesser sides you usually struggle against. Use the highlights and the match stats to try and work out where the differences in approach are.

Well, you don't really 'need' them to score if your team is doing as well as you said earlier in the thread, but that's by the by.

I'll give you the same advice I offered someone else. Let your Assistant Manager control your next five games (ie holiday through them), then go back and watch the highlights of them. You say you're top of the league, so I assume you have good players and a decent basic tactic. I'm almost 100% certain you'll see a big difference in those games to the ones you control yourself. If you can, make sure at least one of them is against one of the lesser sides you usually struggle against. Use the highlights and the match stats to try and work out where the differences in approach are.

I'm second now after some poor games, one of them is the one with Crotone, win away with Napoli then lose home with Atalanta and now i'm second after Atalanta(!?!) probably i will lose the title to them, they winning everything and i win only with medium and hard team, strange ...maybe next season i will do what you said but with only 6 games to go i want to lose/win on my hand :) About crosses, can you say from your experience what "aim" is better for 1 striker(pacey striker)?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean with that.

I wrote some post above, for a pacey striker what aim is better on crosses, aim center, far or near post? I use the shout drill cross(i don't have tall strikers).

I wrote some post above, for a pacey striker what aim is better on crosses, aim center, far or near post? I use the shout drill cross(i don't have tall strikers).

I assume your striker's heading attribute is good though?

I assume your striker's heading attribute is good though?

I thought that drill is for small strikers and float for tall, so i'm assuming is not that important for Benzia(small)...the heading attribute is decent 12. I want to instruct my wingers were to aim maybe the strikers can score better from crosses then 1v1, that's all...

I thought that drill is for small strikers and float for tall, so i'm assuming is not that important for Benzia(small)...the heading attribute is decent 12. I want to instruct my wingers were to aim maybe the strikers can score better from crosses then 1v1, that's all...

Float is for tall strikers, you're right. Drill can be for anyone, but it helps if they have good heading since that means they'll at least be accurate with their headers.

There is not a right answer for your question cosmo.. there is not a good setting for crosses that always work. You have to play according to your team abilities. If you have a pacey striker maybe I'd prefer to play on through balls rather then crosses.

I'm sure drill crosses on near post sometimes deliver some good low ball, but this is not certain at 100%.

Archived