FMC Tactics - How do you play it? What do you adjust? - Tactics Discussion for FMC

I have not really seen specific discussions regarding tactics and changes in this sub-forum. Many people go to the main tactics thread, which is of course great, but not specific to FMC. So I wanted to start a small thread and discussion about your general approach to FMC.

FMC does away with team talks, press conferences, and training. What remains are two basic concepts: 1) Tactics, and 2) Transfers. One influences the other but how do you deal with the tactics?

1. Tactics

In the full version we are limited to choosing three "tactics" and sticking to them through familiarity. In FMC you can play another tactic each game if you wish.

What approaches do you guys have?

Do you scout the opposition in detail and then adjust your tactics? The formation? The player and team instructions? The analysis is limited but you can see their attributes, their formations, and how they score. You can see who scores and what their form has been in the last couple of games.

Or do you create a tactic in the way and shape that you want to play and stick to it? No matter who the opposition is? Do you have an "away" and "home" tactic?

How do you watch the games? I know many will make use of the instant result button to quickly go through the seasons. Others will play in highlight mode, while others still will watch the entire game. I am somewhat in between. I usually watch the game on full and then when things go according to plan or when I made my changes from what I saw, I go to comprehensive and let it run. Friendlies I usually play in Key Highlight mode.

How do you manage morale? Do you add friendlies in between your fixtures to raise morale? Beat some no-name team 7-0? Do you fine players for bad form? (our only way to "talk" to them in FMC).

2. Transfers

How do you set up your scouting team? Do you send them to scout different regions or competitions? Youth or regular teams?

Do you let your DOF handle the transfers?

How do you chose the scout and DOF? Do you look at the star ratings (unique to FMC) or do you still check their attributes? What if your chief scout has a 4 star rating but his judging attributes are around 14/15? Do you replace him or do you stick with him?

I just want to start this to get some more discussion going specific to FMC and see how players approach FMC. This sub-forum is still quite empty with exception of a question here and there. Maybe this can raise activity a bit for a part of the game that I think is really great (I play both FMC and FM full and keep switching back and forth but I somehow keep coming back to FMC and before I know it I am already 20 games into my save, whereas in FM full I would be maybe 3 games in).

Before the 14.2 patch I had a fairly basic 4141 that I had first developed. I then looked at the scout reports to see what tactic the opponents was most vulnerable to facing and then shifted the 4141 to that particular formation. So I would have had about 10 tactics (from a 4141 to a 343) that I used all season depending on the scout report.

This worked wonders on earlier patches but the standard 4141 seems to have lost a wee bit on 14.2. But once i figure that out I will return to the above method again. Its a very enjoyable way to play the game as it feels like a battle of wits with the opposition manager as you try to out-tactic him.

The tactical flexibility is really one of the big strengths and enjoyments in FMC for me. Changing your formation or other tactical set up without penalty really gives you freedom to adjust and operate. In my current save, while I approach my games mostly with the same set up I change things in the game when i, hopefully, see problems. Was able to salvage a 2-1 win after going 1-0 down. Those type of games just give you so much enjoyment because you feel it was you who made it happen.

There is also a great post from Cleon in the tactics forum where he shows a 4-1-4-1 formation and how it is set up and why and how to spot issues with it. Of course, with FMC, we don't have all of the tools but if you watch a game (and sometimes choose a top 3D camera or 2D you can see the shapes of your team as well when you pause). I am trying to get used to pause the game here and again in an offensive and defensive phase to see how my players line up. Even playing in a highlight type of game you can still stop the game and review this, let's say every 20 minutes or so.

One thing I noticed in FMC, the AI tends to change formations on me quite a bit. When they go behind they suddenly line up differently. Sometimes you can be caught off-guard by that. Based on that, I am sure the AI also changes instructions and perhaps roles to beat you. I definitely saw players change around positions and the mentality change as well (in the commentary).

Changing tactics keeps the AI guessing, I believe. I am sure other teams take into account the statistics and your line up from the last game to line up against you. How often have I seen my scout report a certain formation they will play and have played, only for them to suddenly line up completely differently. The more you change, the less the AI knows about your chosen tactic. I also like to keep players roaming and if possible use the "allow wide players to switch sides." You can tell how much trouble the AI gets into when you become unpredictable.

I hope more people contribute here and can share their insights and methods because FMC is a great mode of play and the approach to tactics is a bit different from the full game and due to its focus almost - "pure" tactical tinkering.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some additional insight of how I played and did during my first full season on FMC 14.

I used a 4-2-3-1 (deep) throughout the season without alterations. The only things I changed were the roles. Once in the game, I changed some team instructions and gave some man marking instructions.

If a team was a danger from the wings, then I would ask my AML/R to man mark the opposition wingers to create 2 to 1 situations while defending. I usually stopped the attacking threads from the wings that way. Sometimes I asked my lone striker to mark one of the defenders (the better passer). This would lead to the opposition choosing the weaker passer and this would decrease their possession a bit and lead to mistakes. My striker or wingers often would intercept the ball with only one defender to beat.

You can easily switch mentality in FMC. Use it. I did. I played counter against tougher teams and attacking against weaker ones. It really depends on the situation though. Best is to view the game for a couple of minutes and see how things go.

I often changed one of my DMs to a half back if they had 2 strikers. This would lead to a 3 man defense and allowed my fullbacks to push forward automatically exploiting the flanks.

What things did you find worked for you?

I tend to play a 4-2-3-1, mostly due to AI teams playing a 3-man midfield all the time, which can cause issues for a 2-man midfield, especially when playing against strong sides. I will change the shouts within games if the team isn't going well, to try and initiate something. If I have Counter selected, and we're not getting any, I will switch to Standard or Control to see if that helps. Back when I didn't have, 'Retain Possession' clicked, if we were being out possessed quite badly, and my assistant was telling me that as well, and the opposition as a result was dominating the key moments, I would click, 'Retain Possession' as an attempt for my side to get the ball and settle the game down. Once we had, and turned the possession back, I would then un-click it and usually carry that newly-gained control and confidence back to more flowing style and we'd keep the possession and attacks going our way. Sometimes I will also click, 'Hassle Opponents' as a short term use, maybe just 15mins here, or 15mins there. I watch all my games in Extended Mode, which allows me to do such things. With Transfers, I have total control of that. I send scouts out to the main regions, searching for players no older than around 21 or 23. I place all highly rated players on my shortlist, usually 4.5 and 5 star PA due to being Man Utd manager.

Sometimes I will also click, 'Hassle Opponents' as a short term use, maybe just 15mins here, or 15mins there.

The mistake a lot of people, including myself, initially make is having that team instruction on for the full 90mins. If you're a top team with superfit, super technical players, you can get away with it. For everyone else, the above approach can be a game-saver. I find it works best in short bursts at the end of a half, or if you're chasing the game against a team equally matched to you. It's a powerful, but volatile instruction.

The mistake a lot of people, including myself, initially make is having that team instruction on for the full 90mins. If you're a top team with superfit, super technical players, you can get away with it. For everyone else, the above approach can be a game-saver. I find it works best in short bursts at the end of a half, or if you're chasing the game against a team equally matched to you. It's a powerful, but volatile instruction.

This setting is debated all over and I would like to add that in the tactic I use, I have hassle opponents on all the time.

I've been playing with Schalke and with hassle opponents on always except when I want to protect a lead. I suppose for lower league teams it might be better not to use it always but I haven't experimented with it. Might be something to keep an eye out for.

Are you managing at the top level?

I have used the same tactics from the start, I started with Accrington Stanley in League 2 with the same plan I am using now, I just started adding players with better discipline. It took me 3 seasons to get promoted from League 2, although that is because I build patiently and do not achieve promotion until I am confident my team is ready for it. My tactic has worked from league 2 all the way to the top... while I am certain a lot of people have way more success than I do, this is what my tactics have got me so far... All with hassle opponents from the start:

2rdg1lv.jpg

Everything is relative. Sure, lower league players may not have the fitness and skill to hassle opponents for long stretches. But they'll also be pressing against other lower league players with less composure/decisions/passing who are more likely to give the ball away under pressure.

Everything is relative. Sure, lower league players may not have the fitness and skill to hassle opponents for long stretches. But they'll also be pressing against other lower league players with less composure/decisions/passing who are more likely to give the ball away under pressure.

That's a pretty good way to look at it, actually.

There seems to be a bit of a surge of interest in FMC interest, and I think it is a great thing.

A couple of threads are doing the rounds in the Tactics & Training Forum, and I thought it made sense to link them here.

Firstly, Ackter is successfully disproving a myth that "it is impossible to get Messi and Ronaldo to score as many goals as they do in real life".

I think there are some problems with the image host at the moment, but missing images should appear in due course:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380873-Making-Messi-Messi(ish)

Secondly, just a general thread talking about FMC tactics:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380389-Tactically-is-FMC-the-answer

There seems to be a bit of a surge of interest in FMC interest, and I think it is a great thing.

Yeh, a nice surge of interest even, and I think I know one person who is to blame for at least 30 copies of this fricken' game being sold and more than half of them play classic. Thanks Tie.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

I've been playing the fmc for a while now and still have not found a tactic that works :/..I've played with one, but with that i can beat man.city 3-0 and lose the next game 3-0 to Cardiff(im Spurs)..

I've also tried to make one myself, but im not very good at that :/...

Does anyone have one that works??Atleast alittle...I always let in alooooooot of goals, last season i let in 60..Sucks..

• Administrators

One that works will be one that suits your players and the opposition you are facing. Without even knowing which team you are, what players you have or your season expectations it's impossible for anyone to say.

Im Spurs which i mentioned ;)..Starting all over again, so season expectations are top 4 finish..I suck at making tactics..Used to play the full game and just download a few tactics and had a go, cant do that in fmc :/..

Really do like fmc since it doesnt take to much time, but i wouldnt mind winning a game or two in a season :)

I'm enormously simplistic with my approach to tactics:

i) Get a concept in your head - how to attack, how to defend, how to create movement

ii) Set up Team Instructions to modify any fundamental playing style tweaks (higher, faster, wide, more passing etc.)

iii) Set up Player Instructions to enable the bits of your concepts that Team Instructions couldn't (get specific players to tackle harder, Close Down More, do more or less of x, y and z)

I just posted this in the Tactics Forum - a FMC created and honed tactic:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/383427-My-simplistic-approach-to-tactics-The-4-6-0

Like RTHerringbone said, there isn't really one tactic that works.

It depends on what players you have and what they can do. And on your entire concept. It has to make sense. Do you want to outscore the opponent? Play with wingers? Try to concede no goals? You have your idea and then your players. Can they execute your ideas? If not, can you bring in players who can?

And always, keeping things simple is always better. When I see tactics that have 15 team instructions I already start wondering if it would work.

Finally, it is important to watch your players. The statistics do not tell the whole story. And use the flexibility of FMC. You can change your tactic as you wish. Move players in different positions. Go attacking/defending, etc. as you like because there is no penalty.

In FM2014, I have used a 4-2-3-1 (deep), 4-2-3-1 (MCs), 4-5-1 (4-1-2-2-1), 5-3-2, 4-4-1-1, 3-1-4-2, and all can work and have worked. If your system makes sense and you have players for the formation and the style, you should be fine.

On another note, I am really happy more people are playing FMC. I really love the mode. While I keep going back to FM full, I end up with FMC all the time because it is just more fun for me. It flows much easier and the skin also makes a difference.

I see so many players who ask their assistant to do team talks, don't bother with training, or opposition instructions and always wonder why they don't play FMC?

I see so many players who ask their assistant to do team talks, don't bother with training, or opposition instructions and always wonder why they don't play FMC?

I can answer this: because they like to control their players PPM's and they like to be able to control position training more than just plugging a player into said position. I like being able to control my affiliated clubs, it is just painful to have 5 affiliates that I have first buy option on but they have no real players... Like wtf? Also, I cannot stand the lack of growth in your youth facilities, it works better in the full version for some reason?

I still love FMC but these are some reasons I have been told as to why they do what you are asking here.

I've found you have to be dynamic with your tactic, just like teams irl. Making slight changes to the formation here and there, changing the shouts from game to game, or the main team fluidity and/or mentality can help. I also think that once you've become successful, and especially when you become favourites for the title, No1 ranked in Europe etc, is when you have to become even more dynamic with the tactic, making changes on a game to game basis. I'm noticing all teams now adopting a narrow diamond formation against me, which is something I had to adapt to myself, and look at what shouts to use to try and counter that. I find that my starting team mentality needs constant changing, most times not knowing what's appropriate for the current game, until the game is well into the first half, usually having to change it to find the right one. I'm also noticing we have to start with Attack more often, and have Hassle Opponents selected for longer periods when at Home to get some action happening, when in the first 30mins nothing much was happening, with say, Control, selected. In other games, Balance works great, but I may not know until I switch to it after 25mins. It does get a bit irritating after awhile, as you feel a lack of control of how to play each game, seemingly having to constantly adapt to what the opposition is playing, when you're the much stronger team. But I guess even when you're the No1 ranked team, you can't just play your style every game and expect it to be great all the time. Dynamic is the name of the game when playing FM14.

I think you certainly have to be reactive, and reckon that this could be the source of many peoples' woes.

I'm on an easy save with Real Madrid, and had a three-in-a-row sequence of matches against Real Betis - a La Liga match sandwiched between two legs of a Spanish Cup Semi-Final.

Each match ended 3-0 in my favour, but I had to change things round in each game to get to those consistent sounding results as Betis' approach varied.

Away at Betis in the first leg of the semi, they came at us and fell straight into my default set up, so I didn't change a thing.

In the league game at Home, 3rd place Betis were very cautious and after 20 minutes it was very clear I was struggling to break them down.

I elected to play wider, drop tempo and removed my Push Higher Up instruction, and all of a sudden the spaces opened up, and we performed much as in the first match.

3-0 up in the cup when the second leg kicked off, and Betis were actually pretty anaemic. They were kind of a halfway house between the 1st leg and the league game, so I just used my default setup and when they adopted a more attacking approach at 1-0 down (4-0 on aggregate), I decided to exploit the gaps between their AML/R by Exploiting The Flanks, and two goals followed in close succession.

You don't always have to do anything, you don't ever (I think) have to do a great deal, but I do think you have to always be attentive.

Archived