Has Wayne Rooney crashed and burned on anyone else's save?

I manage in the lower leagues, but I always check the progress of the top clubs from time to time. Rooney's career is a bit of a trainwreck reminiscent of Gazza.

He suffered injuries in the 2013/14 season and only played 19 league games, averaging 6.90 and scoring two goals, but managed just over 30 games in all competitions.

The next season, Rooney said he wanted a new challenge, but I guess there wasn't really a market for him at the time. During that time, Moyes clearly decided not to play him due to his attitude and bought in other people who were good enough to play over him. He made 12 league appearances, only scoring 3 goals, and 17 appearances across all competitions.

He lost a lot of fitness and ability during this these two seasons, and his attitude was still bad. He was also dropped by England due to lack of game time. The next season he made 1 appearance despite being mostly injury free.

The 16/17 season after that saw him make 2 early league appearances and an England recall, but he was then dropped again and loaned to Celtic for a small fee of 800k. He did well, scoring 4 goals in his 6 league appearances. At the end of the season, his contract expired and he left on a free transfer to Celtic's arch rivals Rangers where he has also performed well so far, scoring 5 goals in 10 games.

A huge fall of grace for a world class in-game player. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Flogged him to Bayern at the beginning of the game (some 40m+, couldn't resist and Rooney was an ass), was decent but not spectacular in his first season. Then Bayern surprisingly bought Llorente from Juventus (primarily because I nicked Lewandowski before them), and that was the end for Rooney. The big Spaniard is just so solid he can't injured, Rooney has spent the next 3 seasons playing backup to Llorente. His attributes haven't declined much, but with the money he's on (250k p/w) I can't see him going anywhere unless he's prepared for a major pay cut. Doomed :D

I'm enjoying this, the little ****** threatened to leave the club and held me to ransom for a new contract then talked about being unhappy and wanting a new challenge all in my first 2 months in charge. When the bid came in from Bayern I bit their hand off, packed Wayne's suitcase for him and probably drove him to the airport myself in a truck. Reinvested that 40 odd millions and basically transformed the entire United squad while getting rid of the biggest whining git in the game :applause::brock:

He looks great on my game, 35 games, 24 goals, 13 assist

To get his game up, OFFER HIM A NEW CONTRACT at the start of your season and make him captain.

No surprise he's doing well for a human manager, this thread is mostly to see how he does under AI management.

Well as FM prides itself on realism & based on what many people & myself are seeing from AI clubs, Rooney, Van Persie, Ribery, Lampard, Robben & many more players will be little more than average IRL in 12-18 months.

I love FM but the way players progress & decline has to be looked at. AI clubs rarely give great youngsters a game, on mine Chamberlain, Barkley, Sterling & Berahino have five premier league starts between them after the first season in one of my careers, 9 between them in my other career. The real players that start the game as prsopects never really develop unless you buy them yourself which is a shame for national management.

The other issue is player decline, every year since FM09, Giggs has just collapsed and rotted away in first season, usually Lampard in the last few years as well. Players just sink at the general 33-35 age, with no consideration that there are exceptions in real life. This needs to be the case in FM too.

I think this issue alongside the huge under use of postponements due to poor re-scheduling in game are the 2 most unrealistic gripes I have with the game at present. Other than that this game is getting to a good stage after the last update.

Well as FM prides itself on realism...

Except it doesn't, and it can't. As soon as you start your game, realism generally goes out the window with this stuff. Thousands upon thousands of different games and outcomes being played out, so it's no wonder that in some of them things are a little different.

The other issue is player decline, every year since FM09, Giggs has just collapsed and rotted away in first season, usually Lampard in the last few years as well.

Lampard is still playing 20+ games a season to a high level (averaging about 4.20) on my game at 40 years old, and is retiring at the end of the 2019 season.

Ouch. What kind of injuries were they? I'm assuming bad enough to affect him long term?

Not particularly, a hamstring injury for 3 months, a hernia for a month and a few other niggling ones here and there in the first season IIRC.

It seems there is something in this then. I though it was pure luck that he was listed, and was going to buy him till Hernandez came on for 6mil so went for him. From what people say he runs out of contract, i shall keep an eye on that and pick him up for free, surly can't be a bad back up striker for a top flight French club. To go with Jovetic, Hernandez and Erick torres

On my save, with Manchester United, he got injured for 6 months with a broken leg (I think it was in in the 2016/17 season), and never returned to his top game. His value was about 12,5m pounds when he was back from injury, and I wanted to keep on in the hopes of him returning to his best, but his value just kept dropping. When I decided to sell him he was worth about 5m pounds and I had trouble offloading him, because of his wages. He wanted to leave, but the first clubs that came calling didn't offer enough, so he wanted me to pay from 78k - 105k for another 18 months, which I refused to do.

Internazionale Milano ended up buying him, a little over a season ago now, and I check his stats every now and then (i have the Italian league open), and he doesn't play any better for them.

Some players don't recover from big injuries though. Fernando Torres never got back to his best level, neither has Tom Cleverley etc.

In the first United save I started on the BETA I had a falling out with Mr Rooney. I had a bad start in my third season, something like 6 defeats out of my first 12 games. He came to me saying that the club was underachieving and I said that this was a time that we all needed to work harder and stick together to come through it, and he threw a wobbler and said that he needed to see some changes from me to get us out of it. I got quite mad lol as he was one of the main ones under performing, so I decided that he was to be banished to the reserves and never played him again. Sold him at the end of that season to Stuttgart for 6.5m. There he whiled away the rest of his career in semi-obscurity without another club ever getting interested in him, lol. We actually picked up after I dropped him anyway as I could get Kagawa in and we got back to finish 2nd in PL that season.

As it happened, I got the England job at the end of that season, I overlooked Rooney and never picked him again for England, leaving him something like 4 games short of the all time England caps record, pretty cruel and petty, but it was a matter of principle LOL and we had a new talisman by then anyway, the might Joe Cannon (Dubbed the new Geoff Hurst) I posted him in a thread somewhere.

He retired at Stuttgart (2020) and now fancies himself as a manager and is at Carlisle in League 1. I turn down any loan offers from him and I hope I get to face him someday :)

So yeah Rooney crashed and burned in my game, probably mostly due to me, but also I think because it was on the patch where AMC's were mostly ineffective (which is where I usually played him) I am sure he would do a lot better there on current game version. But hey ho, it was fun to continue the feud after what he did, and we did better without him! The moaner :lol:

Nope I think he suffered maybe one or two injuries for three seasons. I decided to play closer to reality on this playthrough and had him lead the line with Welbeck, he has been great, not world class or Ballon d'Or winning great, but just typical Rooney great.

So far the git refuses to mentor anyone. Anyone at all! He's been brilliant on the pitch though, but that's playing up front just off RvP in a 4-3-1-2, whereas I'd assume most play him at AMC behind RvP.

His technical development has been so-so. I agree with the guy above though about the need for the game to lessen player decline for dome. Couldn't there just be a hidden attribute where Giggs, Zanetti and so on get 20? As far as I can see professionalism matters but not that much.

Well as FM prides itself on realism & based on what many people & myself are seeing from AI clubs, Rooney, Van Persie, Ribery, Lampard, Robben & many more players will be little more than average IRL in 12-18 months.

I love FM but the way players progress & decline has to be looked at. AI clubs rarely give great youngsters a game, on mine Chamberlain, Barkley, Sterling & Berahino have five premier league starts between them after the first season in one of my careers, 9 between them in my other career. The real players that start the game as prsopects never really develop unless you buy them yourself which is a shame for national management.

The other issue is player decline, every year since FM09, Giggs has just collapsed and rotted away in first season, usually Lampard in the last few years as well. Players just sink at the general 33-35 age, with no consideration that there are exceptions in real life. This needs to be the case in FM too.

I think this issue alongside the huge under use of postponements due to poor re-scheduling in game are the 2 most unrealistic gripes I have with the game at present. Other than that this game is getting to a good stage after the last update.

I saw Drogba leading the score in serie A for 3 straight seasons until he retired at 39. He was such a beast I wish I could use him in my tactic.

Guest El Payaso
Couldn't there just be a hidden attribute where Giggs, Zanetti and so on get 20? As far as I can see professionalism matters but not that much.
Or maybe a motivation bar aside with form and morale? Many older players are motivated at the moment to play for the world cup. It is possible to be in good shape after 30 years of age, turning 30 IRL doesn't mean that you're going to decline. For example my older brother is playing in a same amateur team as I and he's almost 34 years old and getting in better shape every day and he really isn't a model professional... :D It would be so nice to see players like Ronaldinho really being motivated to get to the world cup squad; maybe come back to Europe and instead of declining, with good motivation get in better shape physically and after the world cup he would start to decline as he wouldn't be that motivated anymore.

I like that, in a very realistic way, some players lose all motivation and just go for the money, e.g. on my save Darren Bent has moved to that Chinese team Ganzghou or whatever they are called for an obscenely unjustified wage compared to his ability.

Guest El Payaso
I like that, in a very realistic way, some players lose all motivation and just go for the money, e.g. on my save Darren Bent has moved to that Chinese team Ganzghou or whatever they are called for an obscenely unjustified wage compared to his ability.
Yeah motivation and injuries are the biggest factors. Players like Zanetti really aren't super humans, they're just loving the sport instead of money. Maybe there could be a feature in the game that could see older players get their career back on track; for example Rooney. United see him useless at the age of 31, he realizes that something must change if he wants to continue plauying at the top level. Everton's manager talks to him and offers him number one striker's role in Everton if he gets himself back on track physically and so on...

• 9 months later...

In one of my earlier FM14 saves, he played a handful of games 1st season (think like 12) before making 1 league appearance for Man Utd over the next 3 seasons. I then brought him for Stuttgart (journeyman save) due to it being Rooney and he still looked decent bar terrible physicals. He made 9 appearances for me scoring 1 goal, before he left end of season on free to Hoffenheim. He then made something like 15 appearances there scoring 2 goals over 2 seasons before then moving to Torquay in league 2. Think he was there for 2 seasons and still was averaging way below 7, scoring something like 8 goals in 50 games over the 2 seasons before going to Chester in the conference were he was even worse. Stopped save during this time so god knows how much further he would have sunk. Just seemed to never want to retire and was happy to continue playing terribly picking up peanuts for wages (I did give him 100k a week stupidly at Stuttgart as it was only way to get him to come :o )

He finished his career at Man Utd in my game, having led them to 2 Champions Leagues, a Club World Championship, a Europa League, a Premier League title, an FA Cup, League Cup, and led England to 2 World Cups, becoming their all-time record goal scorer in the process (until he was overtaken by Danny Welbeck).

Just thought I'd try to balance out all the nosedives in one fell swoop.

On my save, with Manchester United, he got injured for 6 months with a broken leg (I think it was in in the 2016/17 season), and never returned to his top game. His value was about 12,5m pounds when he was back from injury, and I wanted to keep on in the hopes of him returning to his best, but his value just kept dropping. When I decided to sell him he was worth about 5m pounds and I had trouble offloading him, because of his wages. He wanted to leave, but the first clubs that came calling didn't offer enough, so he wanted me to pay from 78k - 105k for another 18 months, which I refused to do.

Internazionale Milano ended up buying him, a little over a season ago now, and I check his stats every now and then (i have the Italian league open), and he doesn't play any better for them.

Some players don't recover from big injuries though. Fernando Torres never got back to his best level, neither has Tom Cleverley etc.

As if you are comparing Tom Cleverley to Rooney and Torres! Cleverley has ALWAYS been gash. Never been anything approaching world class or even top class, unlike Rooney and Torres.

Funny on my save Rooney has detoriated but hasnt moved on from Man UTD (possibly because he knows no other club will touch him)

His Stats

m0PpwDj.png

His playing History

asUhCZz.png

As you can see from his playing history he plays 20-25 games a season and can barley break into double figures on goals. I dont think he has crashed yet or even burned but i would find it unlikely that he will continue to play for Man UTD into his late 30's

• 10 months later...

He's actually gone the opposite way in my save and got better. I did drop him to a rotational player in the first couple of seasons but after I sold RVP I started playing him again.

He managed to score 24 goals and also notched up 21 assists with 8 man of the matches with an average rating of 7.44. He was named as Players' Player of the Year and got in players team of the season.

file.php?id=22

Lack of Professionalism will do that.

I do think he was marked severely in that area by the United researcher. I think you can be unprofessional in your conduct but still look after yourself in a professional fashion to stay at the very top of your fitness and such.

It is a struggle to get him to not moan about something or other when I do manage him. No one ever buys him though.

Been other threads about this. Rooney does seem to be inexplicably poor in this years game for reasons which nobody from S.I have explained. I'm at Utd and sold him for 7m after one season. I'm in season 5 and he's currently enjoying his best season of my save with a mighty six goals.

Been other threads about this. Rooney does seem to be inexplicably poor in this years game for reasons which nobody from S.I have explained. I'm at Utd and sold him for 7m after one season. I'm in season 5 and he's currently enjoying his best season of my save with a mighty six goals.

because he doesn't excel at anything

not saying he's rated wrongly, but the attributes listed in #43 don't exactly scream out at me

in the case that you disagree, point out 1 elite attribute for a striker role - finishing 16, heading 14, pace 15, composure 13 - it's all a bit meh for me

which then means that he's not good enough to lead the line on his own and he's not better than the likes of Mata (his main rival for AMC)

so he's got the position of a glorified fill-in, and then gets fazed out when ManUtd invariably sign a top class striker (signing Higuain is popular on my saves)

and then like others have alluded to, he's quite the whingebag anyway (wants a new multi-million deal practically every season, plus regular CL football)

which rules out the possibility of joining another club [because he's not elite class as a striker, and the English players don't move overseas very often anyway] leading to a "we want you off the wage bill" transfer listing

Archived