show onto foot? newbie is curious

Can someone please explain what "show onto foot" means. I find this in the opponent instructions pre-match. I see what the choices are, but being new (and learning) to football I don't know what it means.

Also, does anyone know of a good source to explain how soccer contracts and transfer fees work. Maybe a website somewhere explains all this for someone like me to understand.

Also, does anyone know of a good source to explain all of the different leagues and championships and how they all inter-relate. I know there is FIFA, world cup, UEFA, Premier Division, Champions League, Futsal championship, UEFA European Championship,... This is all confusing for me, being new to football, and accustomed to a relatively simple baseball league and structure. Maybe there is a website somewhere that explains all this. I am particularly curious about how players from a club, say Manchester United, might play in world cup for England, and what the different rules about when they may/may not play for a given country, etc. are.

Show onto foot is an instruction given to your players to tell them when closing a particular player down to try to force them to use a particular foot. This is usually used when a player strongly favours their right foot or left foot. You show them on to their weaker foot. People say Wikipedia is not reliable but I find it is good for things like that. Also FIFA and UEFA have PDF files about regulations of their competitions and much more. Hopefully that is of some help to you.

Pretty much what Jod said. If a player has a weaker foot, it will encourage the defender to show him onto it. (For example, if a left footer is playing on the left wing, the defender will try and make the player run infield, forcing him to use his right foot).

thank-you much. That helps a great deal.

My internet searching is somewhat limited, because when I search for "football" from here in the U.S., I get american football. But when I search for soccer (the american name), I miss out on a bunch of good football sites, because they don't have the word soccer in them.

Nepenthez: Excellent suggestion, that will help me a lot!

Carl_272: I have been a baseball fan most of my life, but I now realize that is a relatively limited sport, compared to football. Football coverage is very limited here in the U.S. I only heard of Manchester United for the first time a month or so ago :)

Carl_272: I have been a baseball fan most of my life, but I now realize that is a relatively limited sport, compared to football. Football coverage is very limited here in the U.S. I only heard of Manchester United for the first time a month or so ago :)

As long as you don't now support them, that's alright!

Newcastle United on the other hand...

jmknpk, you're probably looking for such simple info that could be easily explained. And since everyone knows it, I doubt many soccer sites will have info about it. PM me for any questions, I'll help ya. And to answer your first question about transfers.

In MLB when you trade players, contracts are automatically carried over to the next club. In soccer if two clubs have agreed for the transfer of a player, the new team will offer the player a new contract (which the player can accept or reject). If a player accepts the contract, than the old contract between his old club is voided. The new club is now responsible for the contract and has to pay it till the contract expires, unless the player is sold to another club.

Again this is such common information that I don't even know if it answered part of your question?

When you show onto the opponents right foot, you force him to use his left IIRC?

other way around isnt it?? showing them onto their right foot, means trying to force them to use the right foot, which is their weaker one...

C'mon guys let the lad decide for himself, he may want to support Bognor Regis for all we know (hmmmmm...)

as for the opposition instructions, i use them but i'm not sure what effect they have on the outcome, is there anyway to find out the success of the instructions?

^^

Not really, I never use them and i've had plenty of success, whereas others would argue that they have only acheived success because they have used them. It all depends on how good your team/tactics are I suppose, but i've never noticed any benefit to using them.

Would that be Real Madrid (most successful team in Europe) or Liverpool (most successful English side ever and we all know England is the benchmark for football)?

Real Madrid? How far did they get in last season's Champions League?

Liverpool? How many points were they behind Arsenal last season, let alone the top 2?

Past achievements don't come into it when measuring how good a team currently is so whether we like admitting it or not (I do :D) Man United are currently the best team in Europe, albeit not much ahead of Chelsea.

Thank-you all for posting. I really sense the excitment about the various rivalries. One thing I can tell is that there is not one club that stands out alone. I picked Manchester United to start my Football Manager play because I heard they were the largest financially and had won last year. But they only edged out Chelsea, which beat me in the first real competition of my managing career.

I can't not like Ronaldo. Rooney, Ferdinand, Hargrove and others are a good bunch of players. I also like the fact that there are many UK nationality players on Manchester. One of my first thoughts was to go out and see if I could put together a winning team with only UK players, but getting player transfers was not as easy as I had hoped.

I plan to follow the real life action as I play out my football manager league in order to learn as much as I can about UEFA football. Right now I am pretty excited. It is especially exciting realizing that football is really a world-wide sport. Here in the U.S we have a "World" Series in baseball which is really just US and Canada.

I am far from picking a favorite team because there are so many good teams out there. Maybe I'll eventually settle in on a favorite as I learn more.

Thanks again for the lively interactions.

Archived