Future Stadium names = Districts

In my career game I have noticed that Tottenham are about to move into the originally named "Tottenham Stadium", Chelsea into "Zola Park". Both I think unlikely. Not many new stadiums are named after players or clubs.

Perhaps we could have a new field in the database of areas/districts in cities. Take the case of my team Southampton. We moved from The Dell back to our roots in the St Marys area of the city. So perhaps within the database each club could have districts/areas of the city they are in listed for potential stadium names.

For example

City = Southampton

Districts = St Marys, Bitterne Park, Weston, Northam, Millbrook, Woolston, St Denys, Bevois Valley, Portswood, Shirley, Lordshill, Sholing, Harefield, Freemantle, Swaythling, Bassett, Coxford

Then for any new future stadium for Southampton you mights get a name using these sub areas. I'd be far happier with the game naming a new stadium with these district names than having a Le Tissier Park stadium. Obviously for towns/cities with more than one team you have to choose suitable district for each club, i.e. spilt Manchester/Liverpool/London/Birmingham into main areas for each club.

It would be like the club relocated to a different area of the city and would be a nice touch I think :)

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my career game I have noticed that Tottenham are about to move into the originally named "Tottenham Stadium", Chelsea into "Zola Park". Both I think unlikely. Not many new stadiums are named after players of clubs.

Perhaps we could have a new field in the database of areas/districts in cities. Take the case of my team Southampton. We moved from The Dell back to our roots in the St Marys area of the city. So perhaps within the database each club could have districts/areas of the city they are in listed for potential stadium names.

For example

City = Southampton

Districts = St Marys, Bitterne Park, Weston, Northam, Millbrook, Woolston, St Denys, Bevois Valley, Sholing, Portswood, Shirley, Lordshill, Sholing, Harefield, Freemantle, Swaythling, Bassett, Coxford

Then for any new future stadium for Southampton you mights get a name using these sub areas. I'd be far happier with the game naming a new stadium with these district names than having a Le Tissier Park stadium. Obviously for towns/cities with more than one team you have to choose suitable district for each club, i.e. spilt Manchester/Liverpool/London/Birmingham into main areas for each club.

It would be like the club relocated to a different area of the city and would be a nice touch I think :)

very good idea, but would it be hard to implement into the database?

very good idea, but would it be hard to implement into the database?

I don't think it would. Just add a new field for districts associated with club. Then each researcher fills in the districts for their club. Then make the game use this for stadium names instead of or aswell as favourite personnal. Of course Im not a programmer and it may be very complicated. Though imo it should be relatively easy to do compared to some of the other things the game does.

I think this is a great idea and without going down the sponsorship route would give new stadia much more realistic names than they have currently.

Do the researchers submit potential new stadium names? Could they do this?

We don't at present submit them. This system allows us too. :)

Matt I like the idea, but won't there be a problem for London clubs?

For towns/cities with more than one team you have to choose suitable district for each club, i.e. spilt Manchester/Liverpool/London/Birmingham into main areas for each club. Researchers would only input districts that they would be happy the club using for names and leave out the ones you wouldn't be. For example Chelsea wouldn't have Fulham as a district.

I like this idea too - would add to the accuracy and realism of the game. I was wondering how this could work for clubs from small towns that aren't maybe big enough to contain different districts. But if that was the case, then the new stadium could just use the current system as a back up.

Matt I like the idea, but won't there be a problem for London clubs?

I'm not sure exactly how many already use it but could the local tube station provide a good name for new London stadia?

My knowledge of London isn't great but I had the Upton Park/Boleyn Ground in mind.

I like this idea too - would add to the accuracy and realism of the game. I was wondering how this could work for clubs from small towns that aren't maybe big enough to contain different districts. But if that was the case, then the new stadium could just use the current system as a back up.

Maybe the name of the road the old stadium was on could be used?

I like this idea and when I heard that the ability to move stadiums was going to be implemented, this was how I was hoping it would be done. As long as the current naming method remains in some form, as the odd club does have a ground named after it's chairman, then it would be much improved.

I don't think it would. Just add a new field for districts associated with club. Then each researcher fills in the districts for their club. Then make the game use this for stadium names instead of or aswell as favourite personnal. Of course Im not a programmer and it may be very complicated. Though imo it should be relatively easy to do compared to some of the other things the game does.

Or, in the database where they have the cities, they could have a "Districts", bit, where you type in the districts.

I like this idea but I wouldn't want them to completely remove the facility for having the stadium named after a player, or god forbid me as the manager. This is mainly because I'm still determined to have a stadium named after me at some point.

But yeah, it would be nice to see more new stadiums named after areas of a city.

I like this idea but I wouldn't want them to completely remove the facility for having the stadium named after a player, or god forbid me as the manager. This is mainly because I'm still determined to have a stadium named after me at some point.

But yeah, it would be nice to see more new stadiums named after areas of a city.

not sure if i'll ever get far enough to get a stadium named after me.. but, can you imagine if i did??? "the rinso arena" ??? sounds like a washing additive...

not sure if i'll ever get far enough to get a stadium named after me.. but, can you imagine if i did??? "the rinso arena" ??? sounds like a washing additive...

It's better than 'Chopper park'. Sounds like the kind of place you'd avoid at night....

I actually disagree cause they can also name a stadium after you which is a great achievement and I love to see that once. And I wouldnt like it if the stadium would be named Bijlmer Stadium :D (district in Amsterdam)

The researchers could submit suitable names, so inappropriate ones would not happen.

I'm expecting to be bombarded with examples now, but how many stadia are named after managers or players in real life? I can think of the Guiseppe Meazza (and that is still known as the San Siro) but no others off the top of my head.

It's better than 'Chopper park'. Sounds like the kind of place you'd avoid at night....

yeah thats a fair point actually...

and none named after managers spring to mind atm...

This is a good idea, but Milton Keynes will be screwed lol

* Bletchley and Fenny Stratford: Central Bletchley, Denbigh, Eaton Manor, Fenny Stratford, Water Eaton

* Bradwell: Bradwell, Bradwell Common, Bradwell village, Heelands, Rooksley

* Bradwell Abbey: Bradwell Abbey, Kiln Farm, Stacey Bushes, Two Mile Ash, Wymbush

* Broughton and Milton Keynes combined parishes: Atterbury, Brook Furlong, Broughton, Fox Milne, Middleton (Milton Keynes Village), Milton Keynes village, Northfield, Oakgrove, Pineham

* Campbell Park: Campbell Park, Elfield Park, Fishermead, Newlands, Oldbrook, Springfield, Willen and Willen Lake, Winterhill

* Central Milton Keynes

* Great Linford: Great Linford, Neath Hill, Pennyland, Tongwell, Willen Park

* Kents Hill, Monkston and Brinklow: Brinklow, Kents Hill, Kingston, Monkston

* Loughton: Loughton, Loughton Lodge, Great Holm, the Bowl

* New Bradwell

* Shenley Brook End: Emerson Valley, Furzton, Kingsmead, Shenley Brook End, Snelshall, Tattenhoe, Tattenhoe Park, Westcroft

* Shenley Church End: Crownhill, Grange Farm, Hazeley, Medbourne, Oakhill, Oxley, Shenley Church End, Woodhill

* Simpson: Ashland, Simpson, West Ashland

* Stantonbury: Bancroft/Bancroft Park, Blue Bridge, Bradville, Linford Wood, Stantonbury, Stantonbury Fields

* Stony Stratford: Fullers Slade, Galley Hill, Stony Stratford

* Walton: Caldecotte, Old Farm Park, Tilbrook, Tower Gate, Walnut Tree, Walton, Walton Hall, Walton Park, Wavendon Gate

* West Bletchley: Bletchley Park, Church Green, Far Bletchley, Old Bletchley, West Bletchley, Whaddon (ward)

* Wolverton and Greenleys: Greenleys, Stonebridge, Wolverton, Old Wolverton

* Woughton: Beanhill, Bleak Hall, Coffee Hall, Eaglestone, Leadenhall, Netherfield, Peartree Bridge, Redmoor, Tinkers Bridge, Woughton on the Green, Woughton Park, Woughton village.

I agree that this could be a solution, but instead of attaching districts to a city they, should be attached to a club, with other names that may be suitable. There should also be the possibility for names to be used as is presently the case because that does happen sometimes, certainly in Italy where there are a number of grounds named after people.

I agree that this could be a solution, but instead of attaching districts to a city they, should be attached to a club, with other names that may be suitable. There should also be the possibility for names to be used as is presently the case because that does happen sometimes, certainly in Italy where there are a number of grounds named after people.

The club I'm managing at the minute, Diagoras, in Greece, their stadium, and club, is named after an Ancient Olympian boxer from Rhodes. Most are "The Municipal Stadium of X", though.

With the talk of sponsorship actually creeping into FM09... what about the posibility of selling the clubs soul and having your club named after a product in exchange for some serious cash?

Then those who are striving for their name/ fav player having the stadium named after them can, while opening up a realistic revenue stream for people who like to go out and buy... buy... buy!

Or, why cant we name the stadiums whatever we want, or have a list like when we choose which feeder club we want?

Yeah would be harder but i can imagine some place having an area like Crapely Vale and getting a name of Crapley Stadium, i dont know, maybe something more comical :D

I've never had a new stadium (except the pre-implemented Liverpool stadium) in the game, and when i would do i would like to be able to name it

yeah thats a fair point actually...

and none named after managers spring to mind atm...

No, but Darlington's former owner George Reynolds modestly named their new stadium "the Reynolds Arena". It's now called something marginally more ludicrous iirc.

This is a good idea, but Milton Keynes will be screwed lol

* Bletchley and Fenny Stratford: Central Bletchley, Denbigh, Eaton Manor, Fenny Stratford, Water Eaton

* Bradwell: Bradwell, Bradwell Common, Bradwell village, Heelands, Rooksley

* Bradwell Abbey: Bradwell Abbey, Kiln Farm, Stacey Bushes, Two Mile Ash, Wymbush

* Broughton and Milton Keynes combined parishes: Atterbury, Brook Furlong, Broughton, Fox Milne, Middleton (Milton Keynes Village), Milton Keynes village, Northfield, Oakgrove, Pineham

* Campbell Park: Campbell Park, Elfield Park, Fishermead, Newlands, Oldbrook, Springfield, Willen and Willen Lake, Winterhill

* Central Milton Keynes

* Great Linford: Great Linford, Neath Hill, Pennyland, Tongwell, Willen Park

* Kents Hill, Monkston and Brinklow: Brinklow, Kents Hill, Kingston, Monkston

* Loughton: Loughton, Loughton Lodge, Great Holm, the Bowl

* New Bradwell

* Shenley Brook End: Emerson Valley, Furzton, Kingsmead, Shenley Brook End, Snelshall, Tattenhoe, Tattenhoe Park, Westcroft

* Shenley Church End: Crownhill, Grange Farm, Hazeley, Medbourne, Oakhill, Oxley, Shenley Church End, Woodhill

* Simpson: Ashland, Simpson, West Ashland

* Stantonbury: Bancroft/Bancroft Park, Blue Bridge, Bradville, Linford Wood, Stantonbury, Stantonbury Fields

* Stony Stratford: Fullers Slade, Galley Hill, Stony Stratford

* Walton: Caldecotte, Old Farm Park, Tilbrook, Tower Gate, Walnut Tree, Walton, Walton Hall, Walton Park, Wavendon Gate

* West Bletchley: Bletchley Park, Church Green, Far Bletchley, Old Bletchley, West Bletchley, Whaddon (ward)

* Wolverton and Greenleys: Greenleys, Stonebridge, Wolverton, Old Wolverton

* Woughton: Beanhill, Bleak Hall, Coffee Hall, Eaglestone, Leadenhall, Netherfield, Peartree Bridge, Redmoor, Tinkers Bridge, Woughton on the Green, Woughton Park, Woughton village.

I like the idea of playing away at the Coffee Hall personally.

The researchers could submit suitable names, so inappropriate ones would not happen.

I'm expecting to be bombarded with examples now, but how many stadia are named after managers or players in real life? I can think of the Guiseppe Meazza (and that is still known as the San Siro) but no others off the top of my head.

I can't think of any others either. I think in game this happens far to frequently.

Both Athletico and Real Madrid's stadiums are named after former presidents, not quite naming after a player or manager but still named after a person though.

EDIT:

Should point out my support for this idea. But it needn't be just districts, surely it would possible to just add a field for potential stadium names.

For example Everton used to be called St.Domingos after a local church, would brilliant to play in St.Domingos Park. Or Tranmere Rovers who were previously Belmont FC could play in The Belmont Stadium.

Can't think of a single one, what is far more common is for an individual stand to be named after a player or manager. And that in itelf usually (well, that I can think of) only happens after they die. So, if the practice is to be retained, perhaps there should be stipulations attached, like, it can only happen after the person has been on the fav personnel list for at least 25-30 years.

Surely the best thing though is simply to have researchers submit potential names for stadiums, which would then remove the risk of wholly inappropriate ones.

As for avoiding the use of advertising, surely that is the single most common method of naming brand new stadiums in football nowadays, so I don't really see why it should be avoided...

As for avoiding the use of advertising, surely that is the single most common method of naming brand new stadiums in football nowadays, so I don't really see why it should be avoided...

If SI were to go down the sponsorship route and were able to use appropriate companies for all the possible clubs it would be great, but I can't see that happening.

We can attach nicknames to all players. Can't see why, in similar vein, the game can't offer us a 'fill-it-in' box where we can type in the stadium name we want. I get the realism angle, but frankly, it's my bloody game and if I get a new stadium named after some otherwise mediocre striker who had a couple prolific seasons, I'd be thoroughly displeased.

Wasn't Stadium: MK(which is a bloody stupid name for a stadium) going to be called "Cranleigh Park", or something like that?

Nah the planning permission was passed for a stadium on that site about 30 years ago I think. They just waited untill they could steal a team to play there.

It was always going to be called something along the lines of Stadium MK, but the irony is, its not actually in Milton Keynes.

But those franchise dicks just thought it was going to be named by nike, or redbull were going to invest millions into their club and name the stadium etc.

Archived