+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Future Stadium names = Districts

Sports Interactive Nick Habershon's Avatar

Has been added as a feature suggestion and will be considered in the grand scheme of things.

World Cup Winner

Thanks

Third Team
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.

There's also the namings for "stadium" that need to be used... Like Estadio for Spanish-speaking countries, Stadio for Italian-speaking countries, Stade [du/de la/d'] for French-speaking countries, Stadion for various countries (Holland, Poland, Romania...), the suffix -Arena (i.e. Veltins-Arena), Arena (i.e. BayArena), -Stadion (Millerntor-Stadion) and so on for German-speaking countries, and so on...

I'd also like to see the odd stadium named after non-footballing reasons - for example, Stade Louis II or Parc des Princes in France.

Amateur

Lol oh God what if Brighton moved to Queens Park Park?!

that'd be the last thing we need xD

but good idea overall

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by CooCooKaJoo View Post
    Lol oh God what if Brighton moved to Queens Park Park?!

that'd be the last thing we need xD

but good idea overall
    Or if Park Ji-Sung became a Manchester United legend... Or Bruce Arena became a legend...

Third Team

And one more - it would be nice if we could name new stadia. While some will start raging about how managers don't do that, it is purely a cosmetic thing but the manager may have other ideas. Alternatively, the fans could pick various names based on the legendary-ness of their legends or whatnot, and you could pick. Or something.

Part-Timer

I haven't seen too many people complaining about their managers being involved in the finances of transfer negotiations so I'm sure they won't start raging

Amateur

great one dude
    But don't make problems in transation because in Portugal we only use Arena (never used but still couting), Stadium, and Field

Amateur

What about like I know Arsenal have done a few times and Spurs were going to do, move area (as they were planning to move into East London for the Olympic Stadium), could that be implemented into the game somehow?

Southampton Researcher

I didn't expect to see this thread again. That is quite a bump!

Amateur

The only problem with that we now seeing staduims names being whoever sponsors name IE Arsenals and Man City's and we can see be more in future as clubs look for more money.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by sebbie View Post
    The only problem with that we now seeing staduims names being whoever sponsors name IE Arsenals and Man City's and we can see be more in future as clubs look for more money.
    Yes, but it is depth and variety that is the key. Most would accept that corporate sponsors' names could not be included, but to have locations rather than just player names would stop new stadium names becoming so tired so quickly.

Amateur

of course it could. As they have listed as Sponorship of Staduim in current one, would just mean i suppose could not use real life companies names then that would not be to much problem.

Part-Timer

But for example, there are some cases, when the stadium would probably be the same for all eternity.

Benfica. Estádio da Luz (Stadium of Light). It was built a new one in 2004... and the name remain the same. I think we should have a option, that, if we want, the stadium would remain with the same name.

And there are other examples. Nou Camp. these are mythical stadium that would probably be named the same even if they were demolish and built again.
    Last edited by Keyzer Soze; 19-08-2011 at 16:48.

Amateur

What i would like to see is when my team announces a new stadium, i would like a list of stadium names to choose from along with an option to type in a stadium name if i dont like the list available.

It would also be nice to have stadium sponsorships.

Amateur

There are many different naming conventions for stadia and venues so I don't think we could rule any out(not to mention moving into non-football stadiums like the Olympic one). Are they even allowed to use company names in game or are there licensing issues?
    Presuming no overlap will be allowed how will this affect teams that are extremely close together, will they just get far less options(making this pointless)? London could be very problematic with so many teams (league and non-league).
    I'd rather they focused on other parts of the game.

Part-Timer

keep it simple... just give the option for us to give the name we want.

First Team Regular

Hoping this is implemented in FM12

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Lem View Post
    I'd rather they focused on other parts of the game.
    Let SI worry about prioritising issues.

To me, the stadium name is really just a nickname - cosmetic, but can be as unrealistic as you want. Of course, there's the issue of AI-controlled teams and their naming schemes...

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by x42bn6 View Post
    Let SI worry about prioritising issues.

To me, the stadium name is really just a nickname - cosmetic, but can be as unrealistic as you want. Of course, there's the issue of AI-controlled teams and their naming schemes...
    Sure, they can waste time adding a pointless new feature, or spend that time wisely refining a current one. I know what I'd prefer.

Reserves

Not like they have one guy working there, mind.

Third Team

Sure, they can waste time adding a pointless new feature, or spend that time wisely refining a current one. I know what I'd prefer.
    Firstly, it's not pointless, as it adds to the level of realism and improves the user's experience as it is more immersive.

Secondly, no software company has everyone working on the same things. Some companies even have a "minor works" team specially-designed for these things - low-risk, low-effort tasks when other teams focus on the larger and more important tasks - since covering a lot of bugs is as important as covering important bugs.

Thirdly, the "impact" of a feature/defect/improvement is never the only factor in determining priority - effort, dependencies and difficulty, amongst others, are other factors used to judge the priority of a feature/defect/improvement. If it isn't a high-impact change but is quick, isn't dependent on anything (or much), and isn't difficult, then that is a good argument to promote it to the front of the queue.

Amateur

Firstly, it's not pointless, as it adds to the level of realism and improves the user's experience as it is more immersive.

Secondly, no software company has everyone working on the same things. Some companies even have a "minor works" team specially-designed for these things - low-risk, low-effort tasks when other teams focus on the larger and more important tasks - since covering a lot of bugs is as important as covering important bugs.

Thirdly, the "impact" of a feature/defect/improvement is never the only factor in determining priority - effort, dependencies and difficulty, amongst others, are other factors used to judge the priority of a feature/defect/improvement. If it isn't a high-impact change but is quick, isn't dependent on anything (or much), and isn't difficult, then that is a good argument to promote it to the front of the queue.
    It's a cosmetic feature that adds nothing to gameplay at all. Sure it's idealistically nice, as are many, many other ideas, but in real terms it would be hardly noticeable in a game. It's difficult to say how quick and easy something is to implement, or what issues it may have caused(depending on how detailed it is).
    We bemoan any new features that don't work correctly or any bugs that already exist, but then suggest these pointless things to bloat the game. The question to ask is if it is worth it or not, and if the game was in desperate need of new features and had people to spare then I'd agree they should do it - but currently the time and resources could (and really should) be better spent elsewhere.

Part-Timer

Both ?

Banned

Has this finally been implemented in FM2012?

Banned

djvandyke likes this

Banned

I wonder if we get to see this is FM2012

Third Team

It's a cosmetic feature that adds nothing to gameplay at all. Sure it's idealistically nice, as are many, many other ideas, but in real terms it would be hardly noticeable in a game.
    Hardly? The name of your stadium appears in all home matches, and many other emails. Being able to choose allows a user to "impose their personality" on the club - extremely important for some who enjoy long-term games, as it helps them become immersed with their club and the game. There's a reason why this feature is quite popular - look at this thread!

It's difficult to say how quick and easy something is to implement, or what issues it may have caused(depending on how detailed it is).
    As a customer, you have even less knowledge. This is something SI decide. All users need to do is fill up SI's TODO list with feature requests and bug fixes, from the important to the trivial. Then SI will prioritise accordingly. But you need to fill up that TODO list!

We bemoan any new features that don't work correctly or any bugs that already exist, but then suggest these pointless things to bloat the game.
    It's not pointless.

Why can we not demand a game that is largely bug-free and has lots of features that help immerse users into their game?

The question to ask is if it is worth it or not,
    Yes - but it's a question for SI, since we do not know the cost (financially and in terms of developer effort). It's nothing us customers need to worry about.

and if the game was in desperate need of new features
    Every iteration will have new features. A game is always in desperate need of new features, in some sense.

and had people to spare then I'd agree they should do it - but currently the time and resources could (and really should) be better spent elsewhere.
    Do you have intimate knowledge about how SI's developer teams are structured and work? Are you aware of the financial constraints placed on the team, the management's vision and the developers' capabilities?

Of course you don't. Therefore to claim that "time and resources could be better spent elsewhere" is ludicrous. You don't know what "time and resources" is in the first place!

Part-Timer

Well... to be fair, any amount of time and resources spent on a feature he doesn't care for is de facto a waste from his perspective, it's only a matter of how much it will interfere with other things he potentially cares more for. I think it's perfectly fine for everyone to have an opinion on the direction of the game, and that naturally includes criticism of efforts put towards things they do not like/want. I see nothing wrong with voicing concern with the introduction of features you do not like when there are still others that do not improve/are introduced at the rate you'd like. Presumably consumer opinion plays a role as well in how things are prioritized.

Personally, I want better stadium names ASAP.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Scab View Post
    Well... to be fair, any amount of time and resources spent on a feature he doesn't care for is de facto a waste from his perspective, it's only a matter of how much it will interfere with other things he potentially cares more for. I think it's perfectly fine for everyone to have an opinion on the direction of the game, and that naturally includes criticism of efforts put towards things they do not like/want. I see nothing wrong with voicing concern with the introduction of features you do not like when there are still others that do not improve/are introduced at the rate you'd like. Presumably consumer opinion plays a role as well in how things are prioritized.
    It's still a false dilemma, however, because the proper argument put forward to SI is "We want Lem's awesome feature and better stadium names." In other words, we should be asking for both - not one over the other or vice-versa.

Users should only judge feature requests on this forum on the merits of it alone, rather than against other features they are interested in. If a feature sounds good, we should ask it to be put in. If it sounds tedious to do but is good anyway, we should ask to put it in.

Who knows - maybe SI have done a lot of work in this area and this is just a trivial addon, so it is actually a really easy thing to do - a good argument for sticking it at the front of the queue.

Part-Timer

one question...
    what about football outside the great england ?

Amateur

Not sure if it's been said before but what would be good too, is if in the news item for the stadium being completed/named, it told you the names of some of the stands.

So for example Liverpool could move to a new stadium called 'Stanley Park' with 'The Bill Shankly Stand'. Then the further you get into the game, retired players could have stands named after them or possibly managers who've been very successful at that club.

What do we think?

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Not sure if it's been said before but what would be good too, is if in the news item for the stadium being completed/named, it told you the names of some of the stands.

So for example Liverpool could move to a new stadium called 'Stanley Park' with 'The Bill Shankly Stand'. Then the further you get into the game, retired players could have stands named after them or possibly managers who've been very successful at that club.

What do we think?
    Yes. I mentioned something similar in the requests thread - start off with the North, South, East, West stands to begin with, then rename them at certain points.

Amateur

Thankfully we've had our ground named after our district for years....

Hillsborough

And here's a random fact...

The first football ground in the world to have a cantilever stand running the full length of the pitch!!!

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hirsty1867 View Post
    The first football ground in the world to have a cantilever stand running the full length of the pitch!!!
    Ooh, Synthonia's cantilever stand (predating Sheff Wed's by two years) must surely push it close?

#ChampioningYourLocalSideLikeABoss

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by tom_numbers View Post
    Ooh, Synthonia's cantilever stand (predating Sheff Wed's by two years) must surely push it close?

#ChampioningYourLocalSideLikeABoss
    I said football ground, not a stadium with a running track.

Amateur

I think it should definitely happen, though I hope it doesn't. I do yearn for the day that Aldershot name the successor to the Rec after me, even if it is unrealistic!

With small sides it could be a bit complicated I guess, Whitley Bay accidentally playing at the Shields Arena would send some on the warpath...

I'm happy with chairman naming the stadiums after themselves though, their ego usually extends that far.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by evad3d View Post
    I think it should definitely happen, though I hope it doesn't. I do yearn for the day that Aldershot name the successor to the Rec after me, even if it is unrealistic!

With small sides it could be a bit complicated I guess, Whitley Bay accidentally playing at the Shields Arena would send some on the warpath...

I'm happy with chairman naming the stadiums after themselves though, their ego usually extends that far.
    the Madejski stadium anyone?

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Nik_Dut View Post
    one question...
    what about football outside the great england ?
    There's football outside of England , that cant be true . It would be like their was football before sky sports

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by SuperManager View Post
    the Madejski stadium anyone?
    Exactly. The Darlington Arena, formerly the Reynolds Arena too.

Amateur

This would be very nice really!! But I still eant to see my name in the stadium of Benfica 8)

Amateur

Why not, for every city, have a combination of districts, famous historical figures, landmarks and for realism a few fake company names as if the stadium has been sponsered by them?

Amateur

For me it would seem an easy addition. Board could give you suggestions (famous player etc) and then you could have the option if you're highly respected to name it yourself. It wouldn't come up that often and essentially some function to validate your chosen name of stadium wasn't already in the stadia list.

I'd be happy with that. Long-term gamers would be happy.

Amateur
    I will be the one that decides whether you stay or go.

I only skimmed quickly through the thread, but I saw someone mentioned football outside of Britain. I don't know is this has been discussed, but I really think stadium naming out to be more localised by country. At the very least English language within new stadium names (Stadium, Park etc.) should be translated into whatever the local tongue is.

Amateur
    2013 Confederations Cup Prediction League Champion \o/

I understand that the SI team are reviewing this suggestion to potentially add to future FMs, but I wanted to post here since this is an idea I fully support.

First of all, I agree with the idea that the names should be chosen from a list of local districts which are entered by the club's researcher. The club that I support, Adelaide United FC, currently plays at Hindmarsh Stadium in South Australia, named for the federal district in which the stadium is located. On my FM11 game with the same club, though, a new stadium proposed in 2020 was assigned the name "Adelaide United FC Stadium", which I find to be a highly unlikely name; even "Adelaide Stadium" would have been preferred, I know of very few clubs which keep the "FC" tag in the name of the stadium. A simple wikipedia search is all it takes to see other South Australian districts which produce much more aesthetically-pleasing names, e.g: Boothby Stadium, Sturt Park, Kingston Arena etc. Surely a new data field for researchers would take up precious little of their time and effort, to create the much-desired reward of realistic stadia. At present, the system of naming stadiums after either the club or a legend of the club and appending the suffix "Stadium", "Park" or "Arena" is wholly one-dimensional and can be unrealistic depending on the scenario. Of course, many stadia in Spain, Portugal, South America and the like are named after well-known figures at the clubs who own them, and so the realism provided by stadium names can be appropriate or inappropriate depending on the region. Thus, further regionalisation is required when creating stadium names.

The application of regionalisation can occur in two main ways; first, the application of the national language to the stadium name, and, second, the use of the appropriate local custom in naming stadia. On the first point; regardless of which country a manager is inhabiting, the stadium will invariably be named first with the prefix (club name/legend's name) and then with the anglicised suffix (Stadium/Park/Arena). However, this reduces realism in scenarios where the national language is not english. For example, a stadium in France would be named Stade Marseille rather than Marseille Stadium and a club in Spain would be named Camp Alcorcon or Estadio Alcorcon rather than Alcorcon Park/Stadium. On the second point; a system could be implemented whereby stadium names are generated with a fixed likelihood of being named after a person or a place. As aforementioned, South American and Iberian nations tend to name their stadiums more after people than Western nations, and so a manager in Spain who finds his board building a new stadium should see a higher likelihood that the stadium will be named after a legend/the manager, in, of course, the local language and naming custom.

For example; Joe Bloggs manages Torquay in England. His board builds a new stadium. There is a 75% chance of it being named after a district on the list (Shiphay Park, Plainmoor Stadium etc.). There is a 25% chance of it being named after a legend or the manager (Joe Bloggs Stadium etc.). The local language is English, and the naming convention applies such that the prefix is the given name whilst the suffix is the noun denoting the stadium. In a parallel universe, Joe Bloggs chose to manage Alcorcon in Spain. His board builds a new stadium. There is a 75% chance of it being named after a legend or the manager (Camp Joe Bloggs, Estadio Presidente Fulano etc.) and a 25% chance of it being named after a district on the list (Camp Alcorcon, Estadio Mostoles etc.). Of course, the 75%/25% split is just a random example from my head, but I'd imagine the percentages could be weighted depending on the conventions of the country.

The idea behind all of this is that we simply see more realistic variation in the names assigned to stadia in FM. Of course, the discretion of the researcher would enable any unrealistic district or person names to be removed from the list of potential names (for example, Chelsea wouldn't play at Fulham Park) and no-one would want to see the possibility of earning a stadium with your name vanish, but these occasions should be the exception rather than the rule, and, in keeping with the intended realism of FM, stadiums should be named in the language of their nation and in the spirit of their traditional custom.

Aside from the implementation of the above, an increasing trend in today's footballing world is to see stadiums assigned sponsorship deals which result in the renaming of the stadium. Thus, when a new stadium is announced, alongside the usual message that "a stadium sponsorship deal worth X has been secured", this could be expanded to "a stadium sponsorship deal worth X has been secured with <insert randomly-generated businessy-sounding name like JetFair Ltd. or DealByte Co.> and the stadium will be known as JetFair Park/DealByte Stadium until 2014", with the board-assigned name of the stadium in brackets on the facilities page next to the official sponsored name in the style of Facilities > Stadium: Emirates Stadium (Highbury), with a board-request option to end the sponsorship deal to retain the original name of the stadium (maybe this could have an impact on crowd numbers as fans appreciate the move to reconnect with the stadium's traditional name).

In the short- to mid-term, I would like to see the suggestions involving districts, local language and naming custom introduced to FM, with the sponsorship suggestion an optional implementation if it proves a popular idea. I would appreciate feedback from forum-goers and SI representatives on this suggestion, though I appreciate it is already being looked into.

Thanks!

Reserves

I think this is a great idea.

Amateur

Why not simply have the Board ask the manager to suggest a possible name for a new stadium during a meeting?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by shoome View Post
    Why not simply have the Board ask the manager to suggest a possible name for a new stadium during a meeting?
    I disagree with the notion of asking the manager to suggest the name for the stadium. I understand that some people would like that option, but it is too far removed from reality IMO and would detract from the realism of the game.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaidean View Post
    I disagree with the notion of asking the manager to suggest the name for the stadium. I understand that some people would like that option, but it is too far removed from reality IMO and would detract from the realism of the game.
    It is purely a cosmetic thing with a negligible impact on gameplay. It is almost like switching skins. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this idea.

Amateur

It is purely a cosmetic thing with a negligible impact on gameplay. It is almost like switching skins. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this idea.
    By that logic, the user should also have control over the name of the club. It may be cosmetic, but in a game of fine details which strives for realism there must be lines drawn between what is realistic and what isn't. For those who wish to have control over the stadium name, there are editing programs to change it. However, the game demands that its base programming adheres to realism as close as possible, and those who wish to change cosmetic issues such as this may do so on their own whim.

The point I'm trying to make is that people who wish to have control over their stadium name already do through editing programs, so the game should stick to providing realism in this case since the difference is, as you say, purely cosmetic.

EDIT: The other thing is that it may be all very well for the user to type their chosen stadium name in if we assume your model, but what about the names of stadia that are created under AI control? The point of the system I outline in my post further up the page is to create a universal yet region-specific way of naming stadia throughout the entire game world which provides realism as well as allowing the opportunity for the user to receive a stadium named after them; the whole point of this thread is to change the way stadia are named by default, the idea of having users naming their own stadia is another issue altogether, really. People wanting to name their own stadia is one thing, but the issue at hand in the thread is people wanting to see realistic stadium names for other clubs as well, rather than just seeing Chelsea move to Zola Park all the time.
    Last edited by Adelaidean; 11-11-2011 at 10:55.

Third Team

By that logic, the user should also have control over the name of the club. It may be cosmetic, but in a game of fine details which strives for realism there must be lines drawn between what is realistic and what isn't. For those who wish to have control over the stadium name, there are editing programs to change it. However, the game demands that its base programming adheres to realism as close as possible, and those who wish to change cosmetic issues such as this may do so on their own whim.
    Personally, I see it as very similar to nicknaming a player - the nickname you give might not be realistic, but since you see them quite often, it's out of convenience.

The point I'm trying to make is that people who wish to have control over their stadium name already do through editing programs, so the game should stick to providing realism in this case since the difference is, as you say, purely cosmetic.
    The game should aim for realism, but it doesn't mean that it can't aim for things outside of this.

Things like kit colour changes and stadium names are things that users may want to perform and therefore it would be nice if they did not have to rely on third-party editors that can ruin your game.

EDIT: The other thing is that it may be all very well for the user to type their chosen stadium name in if we assume your model, but what about the names of stadia that are created under AI control? The point of the system I outline in my post further up the page is to create a universal yet region-specific way of naming stadia throughout the entire game world which provides realism as well as allowing the opportunity for the user to receive a stadium named after them; the whole point of this thread is to change the way stadia are named by default, the idea of having users naming their own stadia is another issue altogether, really. People wanting to name their own stadia is one thing, but the issue at hand in the thread is people wanting to see realistic stadium names for other clubs as well, rather than just seeing Chelsea move to Zola Park all the time.
    Just like you can nickname other teams' players, you should be able to "nickname" other teams' stadia as well.

Amateur

Personally, I see it as very similar to nicknaming a player - the nickname you give might not be realistic, but since you see them quite often, it's out of convenience.

The game should aim for realism, but it doesn't mean that it can't aim for things outside of this.

Things like kit colour changes and stadium names are things that users may want to perform and therefore it would be nice if they did not have to rely on third-party editors that can ruin your game.

Just like you can nickname other teams' players, you should be able to "nickname" other teams' stadia as well.
    I have no problem with any of that; I think having the ability to nickname yours or other teams' stadia is perfectly alright in the same way that you nickname players. However, even players that you nickname have an original name, I only think that stadia should have realistic names defined by the board as we see in real life. I think that the systems and suggestions outlined in this thread would give the stadia realistic names, for example a French stadium might be Stade Marseille etc. in the same way that, for example, a French regen originally has a realistic French name and can be nicknamed afterwards.

Third Team

I have no problem with any of that; I think having the ability to nickname yours or other teams' stadia is perfectly alright in the same way that you nickname players. However, even players that you nickname have an original name, I only think that stadia should have realistic names defined by the board as we see in real life. I think that the systems and suggestions outlined in this thread would give the stadia realistic names, for example a French stadium might be Stade Marseille etc. in the same way that, for example, a French regen originally has a realistic French name and can be nicknamed afterwards.
    The original name of a player doesn't matter, though, if you nickname them.

To be pedantic, the game can generate a stadium name and the user gets the option to override it, at which point the generated name doesn't matter any more.

If users want to give stadia stupid names, then so be it. It doesn't harm anything. It is a message that appears once every time a new stadium is built (i.e. it is rare) and allows users to feel like the club is truly theirs.

Why should stadia need an original name if you are going to nickname them? For what purpose?

Amateur

The original name of a player doesn't matter, though, if you nickname them.

To be pedantic, the game can generate a stadium name and the user gets the option to override it, at which point the generated name doesn't matter any more.

If users want to give stadia stupid names, then so be it. It doesn't harm anything. It is a message that appears once every time a new stadium is built (i.e. it is rare) and allows users to feel like the club is truly theirs.

Why should stadia need an original name if you are going to nickname them? For what purpose?
    The purpose is, simply, realism. If you allow people to nickname their stadium anyway, then people who don't want to nickname their stadium will want it as realistic as possible. That way, people who like to play with maximum realism get their realistic stadium name, which is, by and large, the point of the thread, and people who want to name their own stadium can nickname it afterwards, so it's a win-win.

The game will always generate an original name for any new stadium, just as it does for a new player. Why, if that name can be nicknamed over afterwards, should the original name not strive for realism to satisfy the majority who would want to keep the name as it is given? You ask why stadia need an original name if you are going to nickname them; the point is, not everyone wants to nickname them, so they should have as original a name as possible to start with, it's just common sense.

I reiterate; this thread was created to try and get the default generic stadium names of Zola Park, Chelsea Stadium etc. changed to be less stale and more realistic to start with. People may nickname their stadia as they wish, but the majority of people will wish to keep their original stadium name (I'd assume, anyway, going by the reaction of people I've seen on the forums). I accept that the game may go beyond realism, but its default position will always be realism. Generated player names match the language and region of the player's origin, which is the base realism that the game strives for. That player may then be nicknamed, which goes beyond realism but which allows the user to make their cosmetic changes which, as you say, does not harm anything. All I suggest is that stadia be extended the same courtesy so that their default names are matched with their region and language of origin as realism dictates, and then the user may make their cosmetic changes by nicknaming the stadium afterwards. This way, the majority get realistic stadium names, and those who wish to change their stadium name may do so by nicknaming it afterwards.

Third Team

The purpose is, simply, realism. If you allow people to nickname their stadium anyway, then people who don't want to nickname their stadium will want it as realistic as possible.
    False dilemma. If someone doesn't want to rename their stadium, then they might just ignore the button that allows a user to name their own stadium.

It is not outlandish that perhaps a legendary manager would be given some input into the naming of the new stadium, too.

That way, people who like to play with maximum realism get their realistic stadium name, which is, by and large, the point of the thread, and people who want to name their own stadium can nickname it afterwards, so it's a win-win.
    The game will always generate an original name for any new stadium, just as it does for a new player. Why, if that name can be nicknamed over afterwards, should the original name not strive for realism to satisfy the majority who would want to keep the name as it is given? You ask why stadia need an original name if you are going to nickname them; the point is, not everyone wants to nickname them, so they should have as original a name as possible to start with, it's just common sense.
    The user will not be forced to name the stadium. The user will be given the option to name the stadium, or the board might name it anyway (whether this happens before the user gets the chance to name is largely immaterial). A stadium will either get a "proper" name or a user-defined name. A user-defined name overwrites the "proper" name so the "proper" name really is meaningless, since it won't be used.

The way I see this working is that the board will one day give you an email saying "We're building a new stadium - do you want to give this stadium a name?" Clicking "Yes" allows you to input a name, and clicking "No" means the board goes off and does its naming magic.

There is an open question whether the board should name the stadium first and the user gets the option (i.e. "We are going to name our stadium the Heskey Stadium. Would you like to change its name?" in that same email). It doesn't necessarily matter, of course, as if this text wasn't in the email, the user might nickname it anyway and the random name becomes meaningless.

Having the ability to name your stadium does not mean that proper stadium names will not be available. These random names will always be available. And there will be an option to rename it.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan,,, View Post
    Arena? Park, road, lane, Ground. Now thats what stadiums should end with.
    A 3 year old post, but I agree with this. Avenue too.

To the OP, yes, I like this idea. It would/could be a touch that those who like it can tinker with, and those that don't like it could ignore. Not too keen about sponsorship stadiums; York City's KitKat Cresent is far too haunting. I also don't like 'Team X/City Y Community Stadium'. I can't explain why, but I really hate the phrase 'community stadium'.

In general, I think street names make the best names for stadiums. Wrexham currently play at the Racecourse Ground, but if it was renamed after a road, then it would become Mold Road. (Amusing to some, but Mold is a genuine town in NE Wales. And in welsh, the name would be Stryd Yr Wyddgrug. Easily rolls off the tongue). Another possibility is that Wrexham could relocate to Coronation Street (!)
    Last edited by LiquidFury; 11-11-2011 at 13:29.

Amateur

False dilemma. If someone doesn't want to rename their stadium, then they might just ignore the button that allows a user to name their own stadium.

It is not outlandish that perhaps a legendary manager would be given some input into the naming of the new stadium, too.
    That's right - I think you and I are in agreement for the most part, we just have different ideas on how this occurs. I'll explain further down, but on this first point; I'm assuming that most people will ignore the "name stadium" button, choosing instead to let the default name go ahead. The way you explain its implementation looks to me like it would be catering for the minority who want it changed.

The user will not be forced to name the stadium. The user will be given the option to name the stadium, or the board might name it anyway (whether this happens before the user gets the chance to name is largely immaterial). A stadium will either get a "proper" name or a user-defined name. A user-defined name overwrites the "proper" name so the "proper" name really is meaningless, since it won't be used.
    The way I see this working is that the board will one day give you an email saying "We're building a new stadium - do you want to give this stadium a name?" Clicking "Yes" allows you to input a name, and clicking "No" means the board goes off and does its naming magic.

There is an open question whether the board should name the stadium first and the user gets the option (i.e. "We are going to name our stadium the Heskey Stadium. Would you like to change its name?" in that same email). It doesn't necessarily matter, of course, as if this text wasn't in the email, the user might nickname it anyway and the random name becomes meaningless.

Having the ability to name your stadium does not mean that proper stadium names will not be available. These random names will always be available. And there will be an option to rename it.
    The way I see it being implemented is just the same as nicknames are implemented for players. The stadium should be announced in the normal way: "Board announces plans for new stadium to be named Bloggs Park". This is then the established name of the stadium, its given name in the same way that players have their generated names. In the facilities section, there is then a button labelled "Nickname Stadium", which allows the user to rename the stadium so that in all news reports and detailed data, the stadium is labelled as its nickname, but the user can switch back to the original name at any time by deleting the nickname, just like with players. Now, I'm assuming that most people will not choose to rename their stadium in the same way that most people do not choose to nickname many of their players. This way, no-one is forced to rename their stadium unless they want to. Realism preserved? Check. Option available for users to rename stadium? Check.

The ways that you and I have suggested here are ultimately the same in their practicality: both ways mean that the stadium's name can be changed by the user at their whim, but they differ in that my suggestion allows people to have the stadium's name assigned in a realistic manner and may then nickname it afterwards, whereas yours makes them choose at first whether the name should be kept as the board's suggestion or whether they should name it themself. In every other aspect of FM where the user may alter things themselves, like nicknames, the option is there but not forced upon you. When you get a youth candidate, are you asked "Would you like to nickname this player?" No, you are not. FM gives you the option to, as my suggestion would and as you would like, but assumes that you would rather leave things as they are, which is the default position of FM, since the target market are looking for a realistic management simulation. Look at it from the perspective of the majority FM gamer; they get the news item saying that the board builds a new stadium - they can then move on with their game as normal, or if they want to change its name, they can go to the facilities screen and nickname it. Under your system, they get the news item saying that the board builds a new stadium and are then asked to keep its name or name it themselves; this is what I do not agree with, since it is actively unrealistic that a manager would be asked this, and my suggestion would maintain the realism but provide what is effectively the same option; we are arguing over semantics here.

Now, the key point that I wish to make is this: the ability of the manager to name or rename the stadium is not the point of the thread, and nor is it why I initially posted in here. If you read my first post in the thread, it is an explanation of a way the game could change the way it generates the default stadium name. We both agree that the game will generate a stadium name which can then be overridden by either of our proposed renaming systems; the point of the thread is to try and change the way FM generates these names to make them more realistic by naming them after places rather than legends, and in the language of the stadium's country etc. (read my first post in this thread fully to see what I'm getting at here) - the point is that this has nothing to do with the manager's ability to rename the stadium. This is about how all stadiums in the game are named. It's all very well for a manager to rename his own stadium, but, as I mentioned in an earlier post, what about every other stadium at AI clubs? You responded to this earlier by saying that the manager could nickname other stadiums too, but they aren't going to nickname every single stadium in the game world. Again, the point of this thread is to see that every stadium, by default, has a more realistic name like stadia in real life aside from the stale "Drogba Park" or "Torres Arena", which has nothing to do with the user nicknaming the stadium, yet we seem to have gone off on a tangent here.

Third Team

That's right - I think you and I are in agreement for the most part, we just have different ideas on how this occurs. I'll explain further down, but on this first point; I'm assuming that most people will ignore the "name stadium" button, choosing instead to let the default name go ahead. The way you explain its implementation looks to me like it would be catering for the minority who want it changed.
    I don't really see how it's a big deal to have an email that has the option for the user to rename the stadium, advertising the fact that the option to rename actually exists, on that very email.

Who knows, perhaps advertising that feature would make it a feature the majority use.

Amateur

Just thought I'd quote my post from earlier since the thread went off in a bit of a tangent and I would appreciate some feedback about it.

Thanks!

I understand that the SI team are reviewing this suggestion to potentially add to future FMs, but I wanted to post here since this is an idea I fully support.

First of all, I agree with the idea that the names should be chosen from a list of local districts which are entered by the club's researcher. The club that I support, Adelaide United FC, currently plays at Hindmarsh Stadium in South Australia, named for the federal district in which the stadium is located. On my FM11 game with the same club, though, a new stadium proposed in 2020 was assigned the name "Adelaide United FC Stadium", which I find to be a highly unlikely name; even "Adelaide Stadium" would have been preferred, I know of very few clubs which keep the "FC" tag in the name of the stadium. A simple wikipedia search is all it takes to see other South Australian districts which produce much more aesthetically-pleasing names, e.g: Boothby Stadium, Sturt Park, Kingston Arena etc. Surely a new data field for researchers would take up precious little of their time and effort, to create the much-desired reward of realistic stadia. At present, the system of naming stadiums after either the club or a legend of the club and appending the suffix "Stadium", "Park" or "Arena" is wholly one-dimensional and can be unrealistic depending on the scenario. Of course, many stadia in Spain, Portugal, South America and the like are named after well-known figures at the clubs who own them, and so the realism provided by stadium names can be appropriate or inappropriate depending on the region. Thus, further regionalisation is required when creating stadium names.

The application of regionalisation can occur in two main ways; first, the application of the national language to the stadium name, and, second, the use of the appropriate local custom in naming stadia. On the first point; regardless of which country a manager is inhabiting, the stadium will invariably be named first with the prefix (club name/legend's name) and then with the anglicised suffix (Stadium/Park/Arena). However, this reduces realism in scenarios where the national language is not english. For example, a stadium in France would be named Stade Marseille rather than Marseille Stadium and a club in Spain would be named Camp Alcorcon or Estadio Alcorcon rather than Alcorcon Park/Stadium. On the second point; a system could be implemented whereby stadium names are generated with a fixed likelihood of being named after a person or a place. As aforementioned, South American and Iberian nations tend to name their stadiums more after people than Western nations, and so a manager in Spain who finds his board building a new stadium should see a higher likelihood that the stadium will be named after a legend/the manager, in, of course, the local language and naming custom.

For example; Joe Bloggs manages Torquay in England. His board builds a new stadium. There is a 75% chance of it being named after a district on the list (Shiphay Park, Plainmoor Stadium etc.). There is a 25% chance of it being named after a legend or the manager (Joe Bloggs Stadium etc.). The local language is English, and the naming convention applies such that the prefix is the given name whilst the suffix is the noun denoting the stadium. In a parallel universe, Joe Bloggs chose to manage Alcorcon in Spain. His board builds a new stadium. There is a 75% chance of it being named after a legend or the manager (Camp Joe Bloggs, Estadio Presidente Fulano etc.) and a 25% chance of it being named after a district on the list (Camp Alcorcon, Estadio Mostoles etc.). Of course, the 75%/25% split is just a random example from my head, but I'd imagine the percentages could be weighted depending on the conventions of the country.

The idea behind all of this is that we simply see more realistic variation in the names assigned to stadia in FM. Of course, the discretion of the researcher would enable any unrealistic district or person names to be removed from the list of potential names (for example, Chelsea wouldn't play at Fulham Park) and no-one would want to see the possibility of earning a stadium with your name vanish, but these occasions should be the exception rather than the rule, and, in keeping with the intended realism of FM, stadiums should be named in the language of their nation and in the spirit of their traditional custom.

Aside from the implementation of the above, an increasing trend in today's footballing world is to see stadiums assigned sponsorship deals which result in the renaming of the stadium. Thus, when a new stadium is announced, alongside the usual message that "a stadium sponsorship deal worth X has been secured", this could be expanded to "a stadium sponsorship deal worth X has been secured with <insert randomly-generated businessy-sounding name like JetFair Ltd. or DealByte Co.> and the stadium will be known as JetFair Park/DealByte Stadium until 2014", with the board-assigned name of the stadium in brackets on the facilities page next to the official sponsored name in the style of Facilities > Stadium: Emirates Stadium (Highbury), with a board-request option to end the sponsorship deal to retain the original name of the stadium (maybe this could have an impact on crowd numbers as fans appreciate the move to reconnect with the stadium's traditional name).

In the short- to mid-term, I would like to see the suggestions involving districts, local language and naming custom introduced to FM, with the sponsorship suggestion an optional implementation if it proves a popular idea. I would appreciate feedback from forum-goers and SI representatives on this suggestion, though I appreciate it is already being looked into.

Thanks!

World Cup Winner

I'd love something to give a bit more variety in the names of new stadia, even if it is just the option to name it myself.

Anything to avoid something like this again:

Stadium 1
    Stadium 2
    Stadium 3
    Stadium 4

Amateur

The first and last of Dafuge's photos are embarrassingly laughable.

Amateur

I rejoiced at seeing this thread – then despaired as I saw the thread was three years old. I suppose it is the same in 2012 as in the previous titles? I found it fairly annoying to see new football grounds named after people listed as club legends. You know, those legends that won't have a stadium named after them, not in the foreseeable future and most probably not ever. Lineker Arena and the like.

I just had an idea - what happens if you nickname yourself and a new stadium (with your name obviously) gets built, then delete the nickname? Is it Nickname Stadium or Name Stadium?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post
    I'd love something to give a bit more variety in the names of new stadia, even if it is just the option to name it myself.

Stadium 1
    Stadium 2
    Stadium 3
    Stadium 4
    Having read dafuge's T&M story, it was partially seeing the names of his stadia then that led me to write my long post in this thread; if you read my post above you can see my perspective on this, but the stadium names is just for me the one big thing that stands out as lacking realism in a long term save. I too wouldn't mind the option to name my own stadium, provided it was done in a fashion similar to "nicknaming" a player; that is, the stadium is given a realistic name by the board in the manner of this thread and my post above (districts etc.) and you can then nickname it as you would a player.

The other thing about naming it yourself is that, while it is good for your own stadia, you still get Chelsea building Drogba Park and suchlike. I'd much rather it was just universally fixed as this thread suggests so that you don't have to name it yourself, it will have a realistic name already as will new stadia right through the game world.
    Last edited by Adelaidean; 14-11-2011 at 11:24.

Part-Timer

Stadium 1
    Stadium 2
    Stadium 3
    Stadium 4
    talking about the realistic idea out of above pics, dafuge has been in charge for 62 years (khadaffi long term govt is way overrated ) He must be starting his career in his early 20.

Banned

Stadiums AROUND THE WORLD almost always get named after former players, managers, owners/chairmen, national heros(or saints related to the region) or athletes(either former athletes of the club that operates in more than just football or great former athletes of the nation). In some countries, like England, they use the street name as well and in just some rare occassions they use the district name (which in most cases is named after a saint anyway so it's still under the same filter)

I think this is mostly an England thing and if implemented it should be treated as such. Don't drag 90% of the world just because the game is English based, make it more realistic and keep districts for Britain.

Part-Timer

yeah. agreed.

at least until they (can) win EURO 2012 ;p

Amateur

I agree, good idea if it can be implemented.

As a Gooner it would be funny going down the tube station route as the local tube station is called Arsenal

I'm not sure exactly how many already use it but could the local tube station provide a good name for new London stadia?

My knowledge of London isn't great but I had the Upton Park/Boleyn Ground in mind.

Amateur

this has been needing to be changed for too long

Si get your finger out and get this sorted in fm13 , the nickname idea is probably the best one as at least if someone doesnt want to do it they dont have to .

Amateur

Mind you this system is not used everywhere - in Eastern Europe for example the majority of the stadiums are named after real world figures (not necessarily footballers, in Bulgaria for example many of the stadiums are named after national heroes). So if this is to be done, then care should be taken in regards to which countries you apply it in because customs are not the same everywhere - obviously in the UK it is far more likely to be a district name. You were asking for real world examples at some point - Santiago Bernabeu anyone (mind you Spain is not much different from what I described above, many Stadiums are named after people). Same goes for Italy. In fact, I think UK is the only where you'd most definitely be more likely to name it after a district.

Part-Timer

Logically the team researchers would just provide 3-4 potential names for new stadia, that suit the individual club they research for. They should know information like the situation in Bulgaria and suggest appropriate names based on that.

It will probably never be possible for every club in the world because there are just so many on FM, but the vast majority of researched clubs could be improved with a very simple process.

Amateur

I agree with you.

New Arsenak stadium to be named Highbury?

Amateur

Great idea thumbs up from me.

Amateur

To reiterate the post I put earlier, I agree with having the option to rename a new stadium; the district method is very appealing.

Just thought I'd upload this screenshot of Vauxhall Motors' new stadium. By pure chance, this name works as a sponsorship stadium, even if it is just 'Team X Stadium'.

Amateur

nice idea.

Amateur

Moving into Aberdeen Stadium... Almost takes the fun out of a new pitch.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by alexyfoot View Post
    Mind you this system is not used everywhere - in Eastern Europe for example the majority of the stadiums are named after real world figures (not necessarily footballers, in Bulgaria for example many of the stadiums are named after national heroes). So if this is to be done, then care should be taken in regards to which countries you apply it in because customs are not the same everywhere - obviously in the UK it is far more likely to be a district name. You were asking for real world examples at some point - Santiago Bernabeu anyone (mind you Spain is not much different from what I described above, many Stadiums are named after people). Same goes for Italy. In fact, I think UK is the only where you'd most definitely be more likely to name it after a district.
    Santiago Bernabeu - Madrid
    Lluís Companys - (olympic stadium)
    Vicente Calderón - Atletico
    Benito Villamarín - Real Betis
    Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán - Sevilla
    Manuel Martínez Valero - Elche

5 out of the top 11 spanish teams are named after club legends/persons with affiliation to the club

--

Almost every Argentine club does the same. Few of the famous ones.

Estadio Monumental Antonio V. Liberti - River Plate
    Estadio Juan Domingo Perón - Racing Club
    Estadio Alberto J. Armando - Boca Juniors
    Estadio José Amalfitani - Velez

--

Belgium - the "famous" ones in Europe/Champions League this season;

Stade Maurice Dufrasne - Standard Liege
    Jan Breydelstadion - Club Brugge
    Constant Vanden Stock Stadium - Anderlecht

France has a few as well, so does Italy (altho they are somewhat hindered by the fact that Italian law dictates a person needs to be death for atleast 10years before you can name a building after him/her. Napoli wanted to name their stadium after Maradona but couldn't because of this). It's a common practice in Uruguay and to some extent Portugal.

Part-Timer

Don't forget Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium

Amateur

Stadium naming customs are not the same everywhere, that much is true, but surely it is a safer and perhaps the better – and definitely very easy, should this change be introduced – option to go with districts considering the problem people have with stadium names right now is the grounds getting named after team legends as represented ingame rather than real world, historical club legends. Long story short: Santiago Bernabeu is nice, but I would rather have Madrid Stadium than Neymar Arena.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by TOUGHGUY View Post
    Stadium naming customs are not the same everywhere, that much is true, but surely it is a safer and perhaps the better – and definitely very easy, should this change be introduced – option to go with districts considering the problem people have with stadium names right now is the grounds getting named after team legends as represented ingame rather than real world, historical club legends. Long story short: Santiago Bernabeu is nice, but I would rather have Madrid Stadium than Neymar Arena.

Rubbish, if Neymar has become a legend of Real I'd prefer Neymar Arena than Madrid Stadium...AND it will be against the country traditions to do the opposite. Don't change something in the WHOLE game just because it is the way in England (don't get me wrong, I live here, but traditions are different in different locations of the globe).

World Cup Winner

The Madrid situation is a bit more than that though. The stadium was named after him 20 years after he retired, and while he was the chairman of the club (and the project manager for the stadium). It wasn't just because he did well as a player (which is how it works in FM).

I'm sure there are other clubs who have named stadia after players who have had decent careers there, but for me the naming of a stadium should come from a bit more than that. Perhaps being a locally produced player at least?

Amateur

Rubbish, if Neymar has become a legend of Real I'd prefer Neymar Arena than Madrid Stadium...AND it will be against the country traditions to do the opposite. Don't change something in the WHOLE game just because it is the way in England (don't get me wrong, I live here, but traditions are different in different locations of the globe).
    Which is why naming a stadium should be an option and not an obligatory function.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by GerdMuller View Post
    Didi Hamann way- Arena ;-)
    Sokol Saratov Stadium)))

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFury View Post
    Which is why naming a stadium should be an option and not an obligatory function.
    Never argued against that. I argue against making all to be districts, which some people suggest.

Amateur

Never argued against that. I argue against making all to be districts, which some people suggest.
    Fair point. I must have misinterpreted your last post; I agree 'we' the British players mustn't be so culturalcentric and assume what is prelevant with 'our' football stadiums is the same across the world. Maybe when a new stadium is constructed, the generated name could be a 50/50 split between former star/district, with the additional option to rename it to whatever suits the player?

Or if SI had the time to do the legwork, research which countries really do have geographical names and which have names named after people. With the additional option to rename.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFury View Post
    Fair point. I must have misinterpreted your last post; I agree 'we' the British players mustn't be so culturalcentric and assume what is prelevant with 'our' football stadiums is the same across the world. Maybe when a new stadium is constructed, the generated name could be a 50/50 split between former star/district, with the additional option to rename it to whatever suits the player?

Or if SI had the time to do the legwork, research which countries really do have geographical names and which have names named after people. With the additional option to rename.
    As I said before, each major club has a researcher assigned to it, who works out the correct values for each player and so on. It would be very easy for them to make 3-4 suggestions of possible names for future stadia, which could then be selected at random.

There's no way they would be able to do it for really minuscule clubs imo, as the research would be near-impossible. Whether the names are districts or not is irrelevant in my eyes, it just adds unnecessary complexity.

Amateur

I wanna to be able to name my own stadium. Something like 'Britannia Fortress' or 'the New Castle'. hehe

Amateur

I like Adelaideans idea, but I'd also like some rogue sugar daddy or tycoon to have a 1% change of naming the stadium after himself as a vanity project, if only to have some variation on the player name/city mechanism.

Part-Timer

While stadium nicknaming doesn't hurt, I'm not keen on it because it's ultimately only a fix for us. The iffy naming convention will still apply across all other clubs. I'm not spending my time systematically renaming every single new stadium... I'd really prefer a system was implemented where realistic names, following local naming conventions, was put in place, to maintain realism for the whole gameworld. Anything else becomes an inadequate workaround in my eyes.

Amateur

i really like this idea

World Cup Winner

I know this is an old thread, but there's some great ideas in here that still don't seem to have found their way into the game.

Once again, I'm moaning about the names that appear for new stadia in long term games. These are the clubs in the PL and Championship who had new grounds built in my game:

Arsenal - Molina Arena
    Chelsea - Terry Park
    Man City - Man City Stadium
    Swansea - Nikolopoulos Arena
    Torquay - Torquay Stadium
    Tottenham - Hoddle Stadium
    Wingate & Finchley - Dafuge Arena

Altrincham - Altrincham Stadium
    Bath - Bath Stadium
    Burton - Burton Stadium
    Chelmsford - Chelmsford Stadium
    Cheltenham - Cheltenham Stadium
    Grimsby - Grimsby Stadium
    Hereford - Hereford Stadium
    Leamington - Leamington Stadium
    Lincoln - Lincoln Stadium

Are there any plans for FM14 to change this?

Third Team

The inclusion of a rule that restricts stadiums being named after people to those who achieved icon status at least 50 years before the new venue is built would be a good start, other than that I do not see what can be done for a more realistic feel as every new ground that is built (In the UK at anyway) now comes with a commercial name rather than any sort of name based on the local area.

Amateur

i get naming stadiums after humans for foreign teams but it very rarely happens in the uk (obvious egotistical chairmen spring to mind)

if fm was to keep with the times it will mostly be sponsorship names for new stadiums, i dont understand why they cant do it as there is already emirates, reebok etc.

one solution would be to use the games sponsors, id rather have the sega arena or war child park than the keegan stadium

Third Team

There's certainly scope for some real life commercial links to make it into this aspect of the game, not sure whether SI would go for that or indeed whether they could convince real world companies to pay for the right to possibly have their brand appear in the game at some point in the future.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    In my career game I have noticed that Tottenham are about to move into the originally named "Tottenham Stadium", Chelsea into "Zola Park". Both I think unlikely. Not many new stadiums are named after players or clubs.

Perhaps we could have a new field in the database of areas/districts in cities. Take the case of my team Southampton. We moved from The Dell back to our roots in the St Marys area of the city. So perhaps within the database each club could have districts/areas of the city they are in listed for potential stadium names.

For example

City = Southampton
    Districts = St Marys, Bitterne Park, Weston, Northam, Millbrook, Woolston, St Denys, Bevois Valley, Portswood, Shirley, Lordshill, Sholing, Harefield, Freemantle, Swaythling, Bassett, Coxford

Then for any new future stadium for Southampton you mights get a name using these sub areas. I'd be far happier with the game naming a new stadium with these district names than having a Le Tissier Park stadium. Obviously for towns/cities with more than one team you have to choose suitable district for each club, i.e. spilt Manchester/Liverpool/London/Birmingham into main areas for each club.

It would be like the club relocated to a different area of the city and would be a nice touch I think
    The problem you have with this, and being from Southampton myself, is that to have a stadium in most of the areas you mentioned is impossible

Hence they take a more football orientated approach. you would be complaining if they built it in harefield...

Amateur

In liverpool though, there isn't exactly certain districts that support a certain team. I live in Anfield yet there are plenty of Everton fans and in Everton, there are plenty of liverpool fans.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by toon_84 View Post
    i get naming stadiums after humans for foreign teams but it very rarely happens in the uk (obvious egotistical chairmen spring to mind)

if fm was to keep with the times it will mostly be sponsorship names for new stadiums, i dont understand why they cant do it as there is already emirates, reebok etc.

one solution would be to use the games sponsors, id rather have the sega arena or war child park than the keegan stadium
    The game does not have enough sponsors to deal with naming every stadium uniquely

Part-Timer

Agree with several suggestions here.

Don't let a stadium be named after a player until something like 30+ years after their time at the club ended.

Name them after districts. But ask researches to have a look at areas of their city that might be appropriate(they don't have to go into much detail in the search, just look at large green areas or derelict buildings, or buildings scheduled for destruction. Google Maps and a google search will make that easy.

For example, in Newcastle, there could be:

City Stadium - The area in Heaton by Warrick Street.
    The Moor Ground - Somewhere on the town Moor.
    The Exhibition Ground - Somewhere in Exhibition Park
    Leazes Park - Literally a hundred or so metres away from St James
    The Grandstand Arena - Anywhere in the area about a KM further up the road than St James
    Cochrane Park - Could buy that land from The University.

Granted, in reality I doubt they could build a stadium in any of those places. And if they were to build a new one I'd actually think they'd want to build it in the same place or would just improve it. But at least people would be able to think 'Hmm, I know where that is, it would be there'.

Part-Timer

But to do that for every playable team in the game, sibce any of them could conceivably get a new stadium? Seems a hell of an undertaking for ultimately little gain.

I agree the current system is not suitable, but I'd think a large, generic pool for each country may be a better bet- think how many in England are simply named after a random sponsor or the road the stadium is on. Take the top 100 most common road names, for example, and you've got variety with near-enough realism.

International Squad

Quote Originally Posted by toon_84 View Post

I get what you are saying here, but through the sponsorship deals, Reebok, Emirates (and others like them) and such like are the official names of the stadium, hence why their names are in the game. Older grounds since renamed through a sponsorship deal will have their old names.

Amateur
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

There must be a simple way of implementing this. Even if there can be a vast pool of words for a stadium name to develop from, for instance:

Parkland
    Mill
    Durdle
    Severn
    Abalone
    Cheeseburger
    Wright
    Norbert
    Sherbet
    Twiggle

Road
    Way
    Avenue
    Stadium
    Park
    Dome etc

And from this hypothetical categorised list a name could be formed which could have a touch more originality. It wouldn't bother me that it wasn't based on an actual district since doing that for all the teams in the game would be tricky. If Tottenham moved ground, instead of Hoddle Park or Perryman Arena or Tottenham Stadium you could end up with a variety of mixtures like,

(using the list above, even though it's crap)

Parkland Arena
    Twiggle Dome
    Sherbet Way

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast