Goalkicks resulting in goals conceded

Despite my goalkeeper having the instruction to pass short, he's frequently taking goalkicks "long", which only reach the half-way line, and result in an opposing player heading it through to a teammate, often ending in goalscoring chances. It's at the point where a goalkick's as bad as conceding a corner. Anyone else noticed this, or know how to guard against it?

• 1 month later...

Yes its a bloody joke what is the bloody point in having them anytime I see a highlight which begins with a "long" hoal kick the opposition headers it and there the striker goes by himself onside easy one on one it happens so dam often I usually tell keeper pass short but you still het yhe punt to halfway line sometimes

• Administrators

The problem is, the keeper will only play it short if the defence is in a position to collect it - he's not going to hit it short if the defender has pressure on him. Likewise if you're playing a high defensive line, the defensive are less likely to be available for a short pass. I agree that goal kick distances aren't great and it is an issue which has been raised internally. Thanks.

The problem is, the keeper will only play it short if the defence is in a position to collect it - he's not going to hit it short if the defender has pressure on him. Likewise if you're playing a high defensive line, the defensive are less likely to be available for a short pass

This is something that needs to be worked on. When i have my tactics set for my keeper to play it short certain things should happen. My cb's should split to receive the ball wide and my defensive minded cm should drop in the whole so i have one of 3 players who can pick up the ball with. IF on the rare occasion 3 other team has 3 players forward blocking the short option then the kick should go wide and NOT through the middle. The game also needs to take in mind before the keeper kicks it where it will be going. In real life you'll often see the keeper showing the team where it's going allowing the team to shift one way or the other to have numbers there. Right now all that happens is that the keeper will look to give the ball to the defense but in their original shape which is often easy to mark by certain formations and then the keeper as stated above will give a poor kick straight to the opposition

Guest El Payaso

I've also noticed that goalkicks play quite big role in terms of how the game goes. Often when my team is dominating the game, my keeper is able to make really good goalkicks that fly realistically far and cause no trouble to my own team... But when my team isn't playing well, he doesn't seem to manage to reach the halfway line and these things happen in same sized pitches (for example I see both things happening in our home games)...

Here's a good example video about goalkick issues. Happens at 4:42...

And also here in 7:35.

Also a few other match engine issues there like corner kicks and really bad defending and that is only key highlights. Chelsea defenders seem kinda like slalom sticks in both of those games... I haven't really played the game in higher levels in this version and if the defending is like that in the bigger leagues I'm not going to...

The impression I was under, was that part of the instruction works and part doesn't.

Distribute to defenders works.

Distribute to specific defender doesn't work, (or is it the other way around now I can't remember).

Anyway, one of them is fine and the other one is far from fine.

The impression I was under, was that part of the instruction works and part doesn't.

Distribute to defenders works.

Distribute to specific defender doesn't work, (or is it the other way around now I can't remember).

Anyway, one of them is fine and the other one is far from fine.

Yeah, you have it the right way round, and goalkeeper distribution is being looked at.

Despite my goalkeeper having the instruction to pass short, he's frequently taking goalkicks "long", which only reach the half-way line, and result in an opposing player heading it through to a teammate, often ending in goalscoring chances. It's at the point where a goalkick's as bad as conceding a corner. Anyone else noticed this, or know how to guard against it?

When I tell my keeper to take long kicks, he passes to the opposing striker so maybe just ask him to the the opposite of what you want.

Archived