Football Manager Handheld 2014 Official Feedback Thread

• SI Staff

Hi all,

Football Manager Handheld 2014 is out now worldwide for iOS, Android and Kindle Fire devices!

App Store link: https://itunes.apple.com/app/football-manager-handheld-2014/id599937501?mt=8

Google Play link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sigames.fmh2014

Amazon store link: http://bit.ly/FMH14Amazon

Screenshots are available here: http://www.footballmanager.com/handheld

If you have any issues or questions regarding the game, please take the time to read our FAQs:

iOS FAQ: http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=39

Android FAQ: http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=40

We hope you enjoy playing the game as much as we've enjoyed making it - please feel free to leave any feedback in this thread!

Edit: 22/11/13 - 5.0.3 for Google Play has been rolled out, this should fix a few issues with transfer auctions, particularly in non-GBP currencies.

Edit: 25/11/13 - 5.0.3 now rolled out for iOS.

Edit: 29/11/13 - 5.0.4 available for iOS and Google Play

Edit: 04/12/13 - Game available on Amazon store for Kindle devices

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judt started my career game unemployed. Didnt have to wait long for Stockport coming knocking my door. The new UI is gorgeous. Even the font looks polished and better but I can be mistaken. But, but, but, I find it unfortunate that the confirm button is in the upper right corner. Now my hand has to move in order to click whereas I was able to hold the tablet and click confirm at the same time under FMH13

• SI Staff
Judt started my career game unemployed. Didnt have to wait long for Stockport coming knocking my door. The new UI is gorgeous. Even the font looks polished and better but I can be mistaken. But, but, but, I find it unfortunate that the confirm button is in the upper right corner. Now my hand has to move in order to click whereas I was able to hold the tablet and click confirm at the same time under FMH13

Thanks for the feedback! It's interesting - while working on this we found that there are many different ways that people hold tablets. We think/hope that the positioning of the controls will be more ergonomic for the majority of people but it's only in the real world that we'll find out for sure!

• SI Staff
I got a 9.7 incher. Maybe for people with 7ers, it is different. Only playing 10 minutes but it is quite a bother.

By any chance do you have a relatively 'low' grip on your tablet (i.e. right at the bottom corners?)

By any chance do you have a relatively 'low' grip on your tablet (i.e. right at the bottom corners?)

My hands are not exactly large but also not small. When I hold my tablet, the thumbs line pretty much up with the center of the tablet's edges. FMH13 I just pointed the tip of my right thumb down to the right hand corner in order to press continue/confirm. Now my whole hand has to shift half way up in order to accomplish the same. A detail only but it is quite noticeable.

• SI Staff
Loving the new look of the game. Defiantly feels more like the PC version. Only complaint is no formation view in Squad view. Other than that its making my nightshift a whole lot more enjoyable!!

Great to hear! Just swiping to the right from the squad screen will give you the new Tactics screen which combines pretty much all the functionality from the Formation view of the Squad screen with all the old Tactics functionality.

• SI Staff
Loving match analysis. But what am I doing about "slow to close down opposition players"? Seems parts of the game have improved in areas where the match engine cant keep up with.

Slow to close down opposition players means that the opposition are getting a lot of shots in and your defenders aren't closing them down, tackling, pressing them etc.

This could either be simply that you're out classed somewhat or that you're out-numbered in that area (playing attacking style and being caught on the break with men forward perhaps even?) or have tactics setup for easy tackling or no-pressing perhaps (it might also be they have an AMC or similar player who isn't being covered for example) ... without your save I can't say exactly.

I'll try and work out a way of putting in an 'assistant manager' explanation of each of the various messages into the game during the update cycle for the app so its clearer for people - do you think that'd help?

• SI Staff
Surely, it would help to get advice from inside the game what has to be changed in order to solve the issue.

If you mean 'during' the match then it was a specific choice to make the analysis post-match, what I didn't want was players feeling they were just getting instructions and following them - rather the aim is to try and give advice to people on what might be going right and wrong and hopefully help them improve their management potentially ... I expect/hope this feature will evolve and improve over time now its in and appreciate your feedback :D

(I do however agree it might be a good idea for me to expose opposition instructions to human users in the future)

Just a bugbear of mine but it seems to be happening as much in this version as FMH13. I mainly play with Non-League sides and the merry-go-round of Non-League managers is very unrealistic. Not only that they're sacked extremely quickly when, on average, they're given more time than their Football League counterparts, but they also jump into each other's jobs!

The amount of Conference North/South managers that leave to join another CN/CS team is just strange. You rarely see it in real life, with clubs taking a punt on a young ex-pro or a boss from lower down the Pyramid.

I have just simmed a season on my iPhone and these clubs have different managers than they started with, who they recruited from another Conference North/South side.

CN

Altrincham (Ian Allinson, from Boreham Wood)

Gloucester City (Alex Pike, from Gosport Borough)

Hednesford Town (Mark Goldberg, from Bromley)

Bradford PA (Tommy Warrilow, from Tonbridge Angels)

Harrogate Town (Tommy Widdrington, from Eastbourne Boro)

Oxford City (Danny Cowley, from Concord Rangers)

Solihull Moors (Johnson Hippolyte, from Maidenhead)

CS

Maidenhead (Carl Heeley, from Worcester City)

Eastbourne Boro (Marcus Bignot, from Solihull Moors)

Gosport Borough (Paul Holleran, from Leamington)

Concord Rangers (Carl MacAuley, from Vauxhall)

Hayes & Yeading (David Mehew, from Gloucester)

Bishop's Stortford (Mike Ford, from Oxford City)

Sutton United (John Deacey, from Bradford PA)

Boreham Wood (Steve Housham, from Gainsborough)

Tonbridge Angels (Billy Heath, from Bradford PA)

Bromley (Darren Edmondson, from Workington)

Seems an abnormally large amount to shift from one division to the other (no inter-division moves either...). Has this been looked at in the past?

Also, Altrincham always seem to be put into Conference South in the second season, regardless of who gets promoted/relegated. I presume this is a bug? Pretty sure it happened in FMH13 as well.

If you mean 'during' the match then it was a specific choice to make the analysis post-match, what I didn't want was players feeling they were just getting instructions and following them - rather the aim is to try and give advice to people on what might be going right and wrong and hopefully help them improve their management potentially ... I expect/hope this feature will evolve and improve over time now its in and appreciate your feedback :D

(I do however agree it might be a good idea for me to expose opposition instructions to human users in the future)

Certainly advice should be post match but half time feedback might be useful especially if there is no log of match events. In the old days one would keep an eye on match text commentary to see repeated events indicating an issue e.g. like certain players having too much space and taking regular shots etc.

• SI Staff

Thanks for the feedback King Costly. :thup: I think it's mainly down to the number of managers we store in the database is much fewer than perhaps say the PC game, so we don't really have room for managers who are that low down the footballing pyramid. This means realistically the only managers who are available are other non-league managers - creating the "merry-go-round" effect.

So far, I must say that I love the new features! My club is great, the player progress is awesome! However, i feel that the new interface plays great on the iPad, but not so great on the iPhone. The news on the iPad is a joy to use, while on the iPhone the only change was to move the news button to the left, making it inconvenient for those of us who were used to the previous years where the button was on the right.

Other thing that doesn't feel great was moving the continue button to the top right, as mentioned before. The action menu button also was moved. I'm unsure why change things that people are used to, and that worked well. Imagine if Microsoft decided that windows should now be closed by a button on the bottom left instead of the usual top right. There would be chaos!

All in all I think that the core changes and additions are great: large database, my club, progress reviews. However, the new interface had some changes that were unnecessary and just bring inconvenience to those who were already used to the franchise. This problem is more pronounced on the iPhone than the ipad. The ipad actually had a lot going on for it as the overall visuals look much better than in the iPhone. Basically the feel I have is that FMH13 was designed for the iPhone and did not use the extra screen size in the ipad at all, while fmh14 looks great on the ipad, but rather cluttered in the smaller screens.

It is a great game as usual, just thought I would share what I think that can be improved!

• SI Staff
Does anyone know if the game will make it to the windows store? I've got a surface RT and have no idea if the handheld version will be available. Seems a shame if it doesn't as the tablet is pretty powerful and would be able to cope just like a newer tablet.

There aren't any plans for a Windows version at the moment, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the feedback King Costly. :thup: I think it's mainly down to the number of managers we store in the database is much fewer than perhaps say the PC game, so we don't really have room for managers who are that low down the footballing pyramid. This means realistically the only managers who are available are other non-league managers - creating the "merry-go-round" effect.

No problem. I thought that might be the reason for it, thanks for the reply. Really enjoying the game regardless!

On the new UI, the fact the CM9798 style has gone has killed a bit of my soul. :(

On a more serious note, it is quite busy on my 4.7 inch phone, I imagine it will look a lot nicer on the 10" tab later.

Delighted to hear the transfer system has been worked on, the area most in need I felt.

Edit: One thing which is always a shame is that you can't use the player search to filter by nationality - as I like to keep my 'domestic player bias' high.

Guys, thank you so much for this! And with an earlier release more tied in with the "fat" version.

As somoeone who owned every pc version since CM2 up to FM12, (now life means I cant give time to full PC career) this has been my diet for the past couple of seasons.

Loving the revamped nature of the game!

• SI Staff
So far, I must say that I love the new features! My club is great, the player progress is awesome! However, i feel that the new interface plays great on the iPad, but not so great on the iPhone. The news on the iPad is a joy to use, while on the iPhone the only change was to move the news button to the left, making it inconvenient for those of us who were used to the previous years where the button was on the right.

Other thing that doesn't feel great was moving the continue button to the top right, as mentioned before. The action menu button also was moved. I'm unsure why change things that people are used to, and that worked well. Imagine if Microsoft decided that windows should now be closed by a button on the bottom left instead of the usual top right. There would be chaos!

All in all I think that the core changes and additions are great: large database, my club, progress reviews. However, the new interface had some changes that were unnecessary and just bring inconvenience to those who were already used to the franchise. This problem is more pronounced on the iPhone than the ipad. The ipad actually had a lot going on for it as the overall visuals look much better than in the iPhone. Basically the feel I have is that FMH13 was designed for the iPhone and did not use the extra screen size in the ipad at all, while fmh14 looks great on the ipad, but rather cluttered in the smaller screens.

It is a great game as usual, just thought I would share what I think that can be improved!

Hi Rafa - thanks for the feedback.

We've put a fair bit of thought into the UI revamp both on phones and tablets. One of the important things - especially with the advent of iCloud - is to have generally consistent positioning of controls where possible between Tablets and Phones, otherwise it would be pretty awful for users that play on both.

Personally it did take me a few days to get used to the new layout when we implemented it but we do feel it's for the best in terms of clarity, ergonomics and ease of use - and now if I ever go back to FMH13 I always think 'how on earth did I play that?'

Of course we'll take your comments into account but what I'd really love to hear is what you think of the new controls after a couple of weeks of playing!

Great to hear you're enjoying the new features by the way :)

Im always worried about Facebook integration - but wouldnt it be great if when creating a club you can select real facebook friends to add to the team (instead of typing names out) and their profile picture becomes the player picture... with potential notifications sent to the person that they are in your team etc... probably a lot more difficult to do in reality... but I love the idea of this!

• SI Staff
Im always worried about Facebook integration - but wouldnt it be great if when creating a club you can select real facebook friends to add to the team (instead of typing names out) and their profile picture becomes the player picture... with potential notifications sent to the person that they are in your team etc... probably a lot more difficult to do in reality... but I love the idea of this!

It's an interesting idea - I'm not sure how well it would slot with the ethos of FMH and would be a fair bit of work but something that we'll discuss internally :)

It's an interesting idea - I'm not sure how well it would slot with the ethos of FMH and would be a fair bit of work but something that we'll discuss internally :)

the app "flick cricket" has this feature- your cricket team made up of facebook friends... but i imagine itd be a lot more messy and lots of work for a complex app like FMH ... but thanks for the reply! :D

• SI Staff
Does anyone know if the game will make it to the windows store? I've got a surface RT and have no idea if the handheld version will be available. Seems a shame if it doesn't as the tablet is pretty powerful and would be able to cope just like a newer tablet.

No plans at present to release on the Surface RT I'm afraid - simply put there aren't enough of them out there to make it a compelling business case.

best version yet!

Just wanted to ask one thing, I have the note 3, and the version I downloaded means I need to stretch game to fit the full screen, this make the text slightly blocky and not as polished as I thought it would be on a new HD Screen.

I just wondered if I could download the tablet version and downscale, or do I keep it the way it is?

This isn't a complaint and it's my fault for having an awkward size screen, just would like some feedback.

Thanks in advance

Sam

• SI Staff
best version yet!

Just wanted to ask one thing, I have the note 3, and the version I downloaded means I need to stretch game to fit the full screen, this make the text slightly blocky and not as polished as I thought it would be on a new HD Screen.

I just wondered if I could download the tablet version and downscale, or do I keep it the way it is?

This isn't a complaint and it's my fault for having an awkward size screen, just would like some feedback.

Thanks in advance

Sam

Hi - we're aware the text currently isn't perfect on some phones with 1080p screens and it's something we are looking into - it will be a fair bit of work though so I can't promise anything in the immediate future. Apologies if it affects your enjoyment of the game for now.

• SI Staff
I bought it an hour ago and I love it! My Club is a great new feature!

Still learning how to play properly, with all the tactics and the transfer system.

Quick question, how different will this be to the Vita version?

The Vita version will be an adaptation of the FMC mode in the PC game.

Great to hear you're enjoying the game by the way!

I put the iPad version through its paces, and it's absolutely fantastic. I'm so glad that the UI is now more like the desktop FM experience.

For transfer bids, I can't find the option to offer clauses like monthly payments, after games, after goals, etc.

Has this been removed? If so was it because that was sometimes used to make successful transfers with little funds available?

Archived