This post to all who are struggling with new ME now.

I share my experience maybe it will be useful.

Like many of us I started research new ME in order to find what has changed and how things work now.

I picked West Ham and played vs. Man City about 60 games with 3 different tactic(20 games per tactic)

My Formation 4-5-1(AM)(West Ham). All tactical instruction mostly attacking:

ukn0.jpg

Man City Formation 4-5-1(AM).

ukn0.jpg

Average stats after 20 games was:

1) I lost every game with average result 3-0/5-0

2) Man City had 65-70% possession.

3) Man City had about 30-35 shots.

4) Man City had 5-7 clear cuts and 5-8 half chances.

My team(West Ham) only managed to make 1-3 shots on target with 0-1 clear cut and 0-3 half chances.

Then I changed to 4-5-1(DM). All Tactical instruction mostly defensive.

tmi7.jpg

I played 20 games and it came a bit of surprise when stats after all were mostly the same! I still losing almost with same results and Man City still had possession around 65-70% and shots, clear cuts were mostly the same.

Then I changed to 4-4-2 with specific tactical settings and miracle happened! -))

vjuu.jpg

1) Man City’s possession dropped from 65-70% to 55%!

2) Man City’s shots dropped from 30 to 10-12.

3) Man City’s clear cuts dropped from 5-7 to 2-3

Sure mostly I was still losing but result was 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 and draw result starting appear 1-1 or 0-0 and even sometimes wins!

Now lest talk about tactical instruction I used:

1) Much Higher Defense Line

2) Hassle Opponents

3) Use offside Trap

4) 2 Central Defenders – Stopper Duty.

As you can see attacking tactic with mostly attacking settings but result three times better than defensive tactic(DM) with defensive settings. It helps reduce space between lines! No space for Man City attackers! They was instantly attacked after received ball. Also important moment that Man City’s full back was closed!! They are very effective now more then before!

On this screenshot example of average situation when Man City’s deep lying playmaker Lucas Leiva with ball but all pass options are closed.

7iix.jpg

4-4-2 is king now! Full Back overlap is extremely effective more then before!

im currently using a very attacking 4 4 2 and it is seriously overpowered. i am playing as man utd and i have played 15 games and won 15 games. scored 42 and conceded only 6! i didnt buy anyone as i disabled transfers. i kind of hoping i want to lose as its getting boring now :(

im currently using a very attacking 4 4 2 and it is seriously overpowered. i am playing as man utd and i have played 15 games and won 15 games. scored 42 and conceded only 6! i didnt buy anyone as i disabled transfers. i kind of hoping i want to lose as its getting boring now :(

Heh -) I guess you can use any tactic playing MU and will be still winning -)) If you are bored try Cardiff this is really challenge!

In theory any tactic, once learned, should be effective when tweaked to suit the players on hand. The ME has tactics either work, or be disastrous. There's no happy medium. I tweaked the Arrigo Sacchi 4-4-2 for my Tranmere save and I'm mauling lower division teams. I'd rather not have the two DMs and pushed them to CMs and the tactic fell apart completely and I started conceding goals by the bucketload. Even one DM and one CM was still bad. You'd think that small changes wouldn't affect the effectiveness to such a degree, but that's exactly what happens. I'm still not sold on the ME.

I seriously don't know how to score goals in FM14 any more. So many clear cut chances that are stopped, it just seems broken.

I'm playing as Southampton in an attacking 4-3-3, first season Osvaldo has 8 goals in 30 apps, Lambert 5 goals in 24. I regularly get 20-30+ shots, half of which are on target, and no goals, ever. My attacking players all have average ratings of 6.7 max. Finished 9th with an awful GD

I've never had this much trouble scoring goals in FM. I've tried playing wide, narrow, short passing, direct passing, nothing is doing the trick. I can't score and the opposition can cut through my defense with ease

I'm wondering why the three attackers of the opponent are so close. Seems really counter productive.

Ok. One more example.

Man City’s DC(Lescott) with ball and West Ham’s MC(Obiang) is gonna close down him as you can see Lescott doesn’t have clear options for pass. Even If he try it there’s great chance that pass will be intercepted or player who receive ball will be closed down immediately.

This all possible because Defense Line, Midfield Line and Attacking Line holding compact formation! No space for attackers! Full Backs are closed!

1yz6.jpg

I seriously don't know how to score goals in FM14 any more. So many clear cut chances that are stopped, it just seems broken.

I'm playing as Southampton in an attacking 4-3-3, first season Osvaldo has 8 goals in 30 apps, Lambert 5 goals in 24. I regularly get 20-30+ shots, half of which are on target, and no goals, ever. My attacking players all have average ratings of 6.7 max. Finished 9th with an awful GD

I've never had this much trouble scoring goals in FM. I've tried playing wide, narrow, short passing, direct passing, nothing is doing the trick. I can't score and the opposition can cut through my defense with ease

Is it a 4-3-3 with a single forward and 2 wingers? Or 3 real forwards?

If it's the first you might set an individual role for a player, (I'm using an attacking midfielder for it, but play 4-3-2-1) to keep the ball with him. That way the balls stays in the team 'till more players advanced forward.

I noticed when a player doesn't keep the ball, the single forward will do his utter best, shooting a lot (even on target) but being alone against 4 defenders and a keeper might make it very hard to him to position well or put technique in his shots.

Thanks mate! This actually makes the game a bit playable.

You are welcome -) but must say that game is now more playable than it ever was at least for me… I’m talking about ME… All players behavior and decisions looks more realistic( for me must add-)). SI did a great job but players just need to adapt for new reality. Many things that worked before just don’t work now.

One major thing in new ME that that now wingers are able better hold ball and wait for full backs overlap and attacking full backs are poison threat now! They are very dangerous now! Combinations winger who holding ball and attacking full back is deadly! Plus crosses is much more dangerous now!

All this has made tactics with Attacking Midfield Left/Right very vulnerable in matter of defense because Attacking Midfields can't close well oppositions full backs.

The answer to all this is 4-4-2! -)) because ML/MR have excellent ability to close oppositions full back and same attacking potential as Attacking Midfield wingers and if they don’t have Acceleration , Pace, Agility, Flair, Dribbling around 17 than better use them with Wide Midfield roles so it reduce times when they lose ball trying dribble and increased full back overlap that extremely effective now.

I'll swear to my 4-3-2-1 formation as I love it ;)

But out of curiousity, can you take screenshots about team instructions? Do you use individual instructions too?

I found out it helps if you do. Like I set my backs to keep the field narrow, whilst my MR and ML have the job to keep it broad.

But out of curiousity, can you take screenshots about team instructions? Do you use individual instructions too?

Here you go -) http://yadi.sk/d/y8PJl7mACQhHb

I haven’t made any changes in set pieces instructions so I leaved it default.

As I said full backs overlap is very effective now and plus you can set different wide for different lines now it makes overlapping is more effective. For example ML/MR - Sit Narrower and Full Backs – Stay Wider.

My attribute recommendation for ML/MR buy players with Work Rate, Teamwork is no less than 13 and Position, Marking is no less than 10(11 is ideal). You can sacrifice Acceleration, Pace, Agility, Dribbling – keep it 13-14 range and rest attribute budget better spend on Mental and Technical stats.

Wait, so we're heavily penalised by the ME playing 'adventurous' tactics? What if I don't want to play a boring 4-4-2? What if I want to recreate Rudi Garcia's Roma?

Less adventure, less creativity, less rewarding. Sorry but I don't believe in playing a certain way just to beat the ME, football isn't like that and it's not the way SI would want you to play.

To be honest, the fact that you can beat the ME by playing a certain way, means that the ME has failed. It's game over, think I'll be asking for my money back.

Much higher defensive live, closing down all over the pitch and complete wingbacks, make sure your players are athletic ie. Strong, stamina and a bit of pace.

That has been the basis for me, strong defensively and helps getting possession back quickly.

Wait, so we're heavily penalised by the ME playing 'adventurous' tactics? What if I don't want to play a boring 4-4-2? What if I want to recreate Rudi Garcia's Roma?

Less adventure, less creativity, less rewarding. Sorry but I don't believe in playing a certain way just to beat the ME, football isn't like that and it's not the way SI would want you to play.

To be honest, the fact that you can beat the ME by playing a certain way, means that the ME has failed. It's game over, think I'll be asking for my money back.

I play an expressive possesion game based on what I said above, plus making sure my midfield and atackers are good passers with some degree of creativity and good technique, I dont win games 4 or 5-0 very often but normally by at least a couple of goals, normally over 60% possession every game with at least 15 shots restricting the opposition to around 4-6 shots.

1st with peterborough in league 1, finished with 108 points, scored over 80 goals and conceded less than 30 so it is possible to play adventurous and dominate games without losing, I suppose its just finding a happy medium with want you want and the players youve got.

Over react much?

You can play all sorts of tactical set ups and get success - just look through the tactics forums, the good teams and players guide or the challenges forums and you will see players having success with all sorts of different tactics.

Over react much?

You can play all sorts of tactical set ups and get success - just look through the tactics forums, the good teams and players guide or the challenges forums and you will see players having success with all sorts of different tactics.

I frequent the tactics thread a lot because that's the most fun aspect for me but most of the advice I see is "play 3 at the back or play wing backs instead of full backs". In fact I ended up finishing 3rd with Werder Bremen by doing so and floating crosses and staying on feet.

Point is that I don't want to win by beating the ME with its flaws. I want to win because of the tactics I build. The fact that you can play a certain way to win means the ME has failed.

I frequent the tactics thread a lot because that's the most fun aspect for me but most of the advice I see is "play 3 at the back or play wing backs instead of full backs". In fact I ended up finishing 3rd with Werder Bremen by doing so and floating crosses and staying on feet.

Point is that I don't want to win by beating the ME with its flaws. I want to win because of the tactics I build. The fact that you can play a certain way to win means the ME has failed.

But thats not the case is it? Just because you play 3 at the back doesnt guarantee you success, and I have played a flat back four all season and got Coventry promoted to the championship. There isnt just one way to "beat" the ME, there are many different ways to beat the AI.

But thats not the case is it? Just because you play 3 at the back doesnt guarantee you success, and I have played a flat back four all season and got Coventry promoted to the championship. There isnt just one way to "beat" the ME, there are many different ways to beat the AI.

I think the sheer volume of comments and feedback speak from themselves. It's easy for loyal members and mods to be elitist and say to everyone it's their tactics but there's so many people who've identified the problems that it can't be ignored. Why should I have to penalised by the ME for playing a certain way? We're faced with limitations instead of freedom.

Ultimately if so many players are failing with this year's FM then the new tactics system has failed too. Players can't play a game they can't play.

Either way, as things stand, FM14 is one of the least rewarding of the series. Win or lose, it doesn't feel genuine. So what if the patch fixes some of these issues? At the end of the day I paid £35 to play as my favourite team IFK Goteborg. I can't. It's just not worth it. Sorry, but just a very disappointed old fan here.

Over react much?

:thup:

Yep, and none of that is from loyal members and mods being elitist. Thats a just a throw away sentence that doesnt stack up sorry. Just because one might not agree with something someone says it doesn't make them elitist.

It's also not elitist to distinguish between tactical issues and bugs either. They are two separate things. Just because there are issues that need to be sorted, doesnt mean people aren't also failing because of their approach.

Ultimately if so many players are failing with this year's FM then the new tactics system has failed too. Players can't play a game they can't play.

That's a really flawed conclusion tbh wpmk. How so? The tactical set up should allow players freedom to get it right and wrong. Otherwise you really are limiting choices if someone can only get it right, no matter what they do.

At the end of the day I paid £35 to play as my favourite team IFK Goteborg. I can't.

Yes you can. My understanding is that the issue with the Swedish leagues is in the lower divisions. IFK are in the top division, so won't be affected. I may be wrong with this, however.

Yes you can. My understanding is that the issue with the Swedish leagues is in the lower divisions. IFK are in the top division, so won't be affected. I may be wrong with this, however.

Wrong. Reserve teams rules are messed up so you can't rest first team players until match fit. Fixes require a new save hence why it's gamebreaking.

I've had to abandon my trusty 4-2-3-1 with Liverpool that I've been using for the last 6 or 7 editions of the game. It just doesn't work, finishing 5-10th every season. Switched to a fluid 4-4-2 and I'm destroying teams now, seems to be the way to go this year.

Of course there are many different ways to do it. But some ways are particularly favoured in the current ME. I've called out 4-4-2/4-4-1-1/3-5-2 systems that are well-built as the ideals for the current ME (and the person who made this thread seems to have stumbled upon this). Anything with wide players in the WBL/WBR or ML/MR positions, really. That doesn't mean you can't win with any number of other approaches, but it's more of an uphill battle if your tactics allow the AI space to run at conventional DLs/DRs, or if your team's 'ideal' chance is a central through ball or one-on-one breakaway.

Wrong. Reserve teams rules are messed up so you can't rest first team players until match fit. Fixes require a new save hence why it's gamebreaking.

Yeah, but it's going to be fixed though, they know about it. In the meantime, there's hundreds of other clubs you could start a save on until the Swedish league is ready. Why not do one of the challenges? Or have a short game on FMC? It's not as if the whole game is unplayable.

Well, 442 is always going to be a very balanced tactic, because that is how SI builds the game. The focus is obviously to get the English league system and 442 right, then the rest follows - apparently after release.

Wingers are overpowered in the current ME (evidently), and full backs are underpowered and this has nothing to do with the amount of tackles. There should be just a few tackles per game, not 15-20. In other words, playing with both a full back and a wide midfielder (for instance a flat 451 or a 4411, or of course 442) will be an advantage in such a scenario.

Aren't strikers and attacking midfielders underpowered too? If so, have anyone tried a 4-6-0 or a 5-5-0? Should work like a charm :)

I've been playing 4-2-3-1 as Arsenal - doing okay but terrible football despite the fact its the system i play every year and can handle basic tactical adjustments just fine. Basically I cant get the team playing the way I used to be able to every year without a problem.

Then I did some browsing and tried a regular 4-4-2 with a TM - suddenly those same players turned into world beaters and I might as well have not been paying attention to most of the matches I played.

Quit after a few ez wins. Waiting for a patch I guess - Its utterly pointless to go back to the system I want to play when the game clearly cant reproduce it and the go-to answer online is: ''its your tactics bruv''

I don't think I need to say any more...listen to the fans guys. You're on the road to losing many of them if you don't listen to them.

i'm one of them who didn't buy fm 13 until the final patch and on discount in april. im still enjoying it. very polished.

and im doing the same for fm 14. i'll wait till march/april and then buy the game and enjoy it. i think u shouldn't be too harsh on SI.

we know there are some people here, who will defend the game to death even though its obvious the game has bugs or smth. be patient for the patch, i think you will rewarded by the next patch.

I've been playing 4-2-3-1 as Arsenal - doing okay but terrible football despite the fact its the system i play every year and can handle basic tactical adjustments just fine. Basically I cant get the team playing the way I used to be able to every year without a problem.

Then I did some browsing and tried a regular 4-4-2 with a TM - suddenly those same players turned into world beaters and I might as well have not been paying attention to most of the matches I played.

Quit after a few ez wins. Waiting for a patch I guess - Its utterly pointless to go back to the system I want to play when the game clearly cant reproduce it and the go-to answer online is: ''its your tactics bruv''

Agree 100%. With robertcornell68 too. For me that's why FM14 and the ME fails this year.

I'm sorry but you're wrong...in my opinion the problem is not the tactic you use nor the position/roles/duties of the players...the problem is that this year the ME is completely RANDOM!!! that's why sometimes you sort out your plan and some other no...no matter individual skills or your instructions, your players will always play randomly, firing useless long passes, going away from the opposite player with the ball, stopping without any reason, forgetting to defend and forgetting to convert CCC...but all on a random basis with reference both to the tactics and the individual skills...i've tried the following...playing with luton in Skrill Premier I struggled as many people to make a simple tactic run and the players follow the instructions...bad result, poor passing, extreme difficult with ball possession (never more than 40%, also vs low teams)...then using IGE i've brought to my club messi, cr7, xavi, iniesta, thiago silva and dani alves...all together on the pitch for my Luton team...but no change at all...same awful passing, defending, shooting, stupid movements, stupid finishing, the only difference a couple of 'graphic' magics by cr7...on the basis of the above i concluded that this year ME is completely RANDOM, and really do not know how can they settle with a patch...

If you still lose with Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi et al in the Skrill Premier League then that really is worringing.

Or, it means they are not actually that good? There is actually a thread were people did an experiment on playing a world class team in lower leagues. Even with sub par tactical set ups they still achieved the right results overall through sheer player quality in the Championship, and more so with better approaches

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370921-What-exactly-have-I-paid-for-here

Or, it means they are not actually that good? There is actually a thread were people did an experiment on playing a world class team in lower leagues. Even with sub par tactical set ups they still achieved the right results overall through sheer player quality in the Championship

This guy just here said he's experimented with world class players in the Skrill Premier and it's had little to no success on his results. Add that to many player's feedback on the ME and I get the feeling I was wrong to put my faith in FM after 2 years. Definitely doesn't feel like I've purchased a finished product. If you bought a brand new car that kept breaking down for numerous issues you'd get fed up too right?

Archived