FM14: Carrying the hope of a Nation. Quest for World Cup Glory

soccer.joel

57dqD.jpg

Socceroos coach Holger Osieck sacked after Friday night Bleus

October 12, 2013

The most embarrassing pair of results in the Socceroos' history has ended the reign of coach Holger Osieck, who was dramatically sacked on Saturday morning.

In the wake of the 6-0 defeat by France in Paris on Saturday morning [AEST] – an outcome even more humiliating than last month's 6-0 loss to Brazil – Osieck was immediately stood down.

Aurelio Vidmar will take charge of the Socceroos for their friendly against Canada on Tuesday.

FFA chief executive David Gallop travelled to Paris and acted ruthlessly and swiftly after the heavy defeat.

Osieck was already under huge pressure coming into the match and needed a competitive performance – most probably a draw or better – to save his job.

However, the manner of the defeat sealed his fate and the FFA board told Gallop to deliver the news to Osieck not long after the final whistle at the Parc des Princes.

The public response to the result bordered between disbelief to outright anger, with speculation already turning to who should replace the German eight months out from the World Cup.

From: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/socceroos-coach-holger-osieck-sacked-after-friday-night-bleus-20131012-2veor.html

Australia name new boss

November 2, 2013

After a month long search the Socceroos have found a new replacement for Holger Osieck… his name is Joel H.

The young Australian impressed in his coach education program and is looking forward to a dream first job in management.

“This is a dream come true.” Joel said

“Joel is a talented young manager and the right man to lead us to future glories,” FFA Chairman Frank Lowy

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I’m Joel and I’ve been playing FM since 2010. This is my first time writing a story in FMCU. I really enjoyed reading careers like SRL88’s journeyman and Forameus’s tetradecagon amongst others. I hope I can provide an engaging career. On FM13 I did a Big Euro Challenge where I took a Spanish team that was previously unplayable to La Liga and Champions League glory amongst a 2 other 5 year careers with Newcastle Jets and Arsenal where I won a couple of Champions League’s in either continent. On FM14 so far I have played 2 seasons with the Newcastle Jets where I won the A-League in my 2nd season. I support Newcastle Jets and Bayern plus Arsenal (in the Premier League) and of course Australia.

Onto my career the long term aim is to lead Australia to World Cup glory and it is not an easy challenge in any way. I saw a story of someone who attempted something similar with Romania on FM12 and although they only got to 2020 their progression was encouraging enough to inspire me to have a try with my country. As next year is a World Cup year this career couldn’t been more perfectly timed especially with Australia recently sacking their manager. Here are my goals:

- Increase youth recruitment, junior coaching and youth facilities at, at least 3 A-League clubs.

- Win the Asian Cup

- Become the highest ranked team in Asia

- Make the top 10 in the World rankings

- Win the FIFA World Cup

Database Info: LARGE + National players from ALL continents + ALL Australian players

Leagues Loaded: Australia (A-League), China (Super League), England (Championship and above), Germany (Zweite Bundesliga and above), Holland (Eredivise), Italy (Serie A), Scotland (Premiership), South Korea (K-League Classic), Spain (Liga BBVA)

Total Players: 49,000

Contents

- 2014 World Cup - Quarter Finals

- 2015 Asian Cup - Runner-up

- 2018 World Cup - 2nd Round

- 2019 Asian Cup - Runner-up

Green And Gold Elite

Most Capped Players

1. Mark Schwarzer - 100 caps - 1993 to 2014

2. Lucas Neill - 96 caps - 1996 to 2013

3. Brett Emerton - 95 caps - 1998 to 2012

4. Rhys Williams - 90 caps - 2009 to present

5. Tim Cahill - 89 caps - 2004 to 2017

6. Robbie Kruse - 88 caps - 2011 to present

7. Alex Tobin - 87 caps - 1998 to 1998

8. Phil Wade - 84 caps - 1986 to 1996

9. Tom Rogic - 84 caps - 2012 to present

10. Luke Wilkshere - 80 caps - 2004 to 2013

Most Goals

1. Adam Taggart- 44 (in 76 games) - 2012 to present

2. Tim Cahill - 35 (in 89 games) - 2004 to 2017

3. Tom Rogic - 31 (in 84 games)- 2012 to present

4. Damian Mori - 29 (in 45 games) - 1992 to 2002

5. Archie Thompson - 28 goals (in 54 games) - 2001 to 2013

Hall of Fame

-Tom Rogic - 2012 to present - AMC - Inducted 2019

-Daniel De Silva - 2013 to present - AMC - Inducted 2019

note: players in italics never played for me

note: players with 5 or more appearances in a years best XI are entered into the hall of fame

57jMJ.jpg

Plans and Expectations:

We have already qualified for the World Cup and I have taken over in August. Which means I have just friendlies in the 10 months I have until the World Cup.

We are scheduled to play: Canada (H), South Africa (H), Colombia (H), Algeria (H), Switzerland (A), Costa Rica (H) in friendlies that will take us to March.

The FFA haven't set expectations for the World Cup yet.

I will do a full squad analysis including best players and best youth players in the next update

57jMJ.jpg

Squad Analysis

Goalkeeper

Best Current Player:

Mark Schwarzer - The legendary shot stopper only has one more World Cup in him and depending on how well he keeps his attributes up he might not even be number 1 in Brazil.

Best Future Player:

Matt Ryan - Currently playing in Belgium I think he will develop nicely and surpass Schwarzer in a few seasons

Other Options:

Adam Federici - Close in ability to Schwarzer. Already reached potential

Mitchell Langerak - Number 2 at Dortmund but still quite young. Hopefully he can get first team football because he has potential

Mark Birrighitti- Solid in the A-League has potential to be good. He has been great this season and last in real life

Nathan Coe- Another A-League keeper who isn't really in contention but is good enough to be a reserve if needed

Paul Izzo- Has got potential, not in contention for another 3-4 years

Right Back

Best Current Player:

Luke Wilkshere- He's old but still good on the game (unlike real life) will be phasing him out over the next year

Best Future Player:

Trent Sainsbury- Should become a solid defensive fullback hopefully he can improve his attacking attributes as well

Other Options:

Ivan Franjic- Solid and hard-working option who will be a big contender for the right back position

Ryan McGowan- 24 and quite solid, hopefully I can convince him to play in Europe so he can develop better

Scott Neville- Fairly good physically and decent in other areas for our level and if he does well at the Jets I will give him a chance

Centre Back

Best Current Player:

Rhys Williams- Solid, captain at Middlesborough, his attributes are solid all round

Best Future Player:

Connor Chapman- Highly rated in both real life and in the game, hopefully will get regular football at the Jets

Other Options:

Lucas Neill isn't on FM14 as he plays in Japan so hes gone, I wouldn't have used him anyway

Luke DeVere- Quite young, decent Korean based option

Matthew Spiranovic- If he leaves the Middle East he could be a decent option

Michael Thwaite- Experienced, good determination, decent option

Alex Wilkinson- Solid, experienced

Brendan Hamill- Another Korean based defender, could become good

Curtis Good- Good potential, hopefully he will get loaned out and get some first team football at a decent level

Nicholas Ansell- Another good potential defender

Left Back

Best Current Player:

Michael Zullo- The best option for this problem position, currently on loan from Utrecht to Adelaide

Best Future Player:

Scott Galloway- Good prospect, not in contention for about 3 years I think. Hopefully he gets a chance at Victory

Other Options:

Shane Lowry- Regular in the Championship, hes decent, will be in and around the squad

Jason Davidson- Solid in all areas except pace

Scott Jamieson- Could make a decent back-up

Aziz Behich- Decent attacking fullback

Defensive / Central Midfielders

Best Current Player:

Mile Jedinak- Solid Defensive mid, Crystal Palace captain

Best Future Player:

Jackson Irvine- Good potential, on loan from Celtic at Kilmarnock

Other Options:

Adam Sarota- Solid player playing in a good league, one of the better options

Matt McKay- Back in the A-League this workhorse with decent technical skills will be in and around the squad

James Holland- Solid mental stats and decent all round

Erik Paartalu- Solid Chinese based holding midfielder

Chris Herd - Good mentally, will be a likely option

Massimo Luongo- A good passer who will hopefully develop alright

Ben Kantarovski- I've seen him become a very good holding mid in my other save

Brandon O'Neill- Could become a solid defensive mid

Jacob Melling- A more attacking minded centre mid who has some potential

Right Wingers

Best Current Player:

Robbie Kruse- Pacey winger is a real threat

Best Future Player:

Ryan Williams- On loan at Perth from Fulham, good dribbling, flair, pace, acceleration

Other Options:

Mate Dugandzic- Talented winger, I'll give him a chance

Richard Garcia- Getting old but good technically, will only get his chance if we have injuries

Central Attacking Midfielders

Best Current Player:

Tim Cahill- The legend only has one more World Cup in him, still our best player

Best Future Players:

Tom Rogic- The Celtic youngster is a technically gifted player I really rate

Daniel De Silva- Another hot prospect who starred at the under-20 World Cup

Other Options:

Brett Holman- A hardworking attacker who could be a good option

Mark Bresciano- The veteran playmaker still has good skills and is intelligent but he's really getting on

Dario Vidosic- Decent playmaker with good determination

Aaron Mooy- Good technically and very young, could have a good future

Mustafa Amini- Solid youngster who is still at Dortmund II

Terry Antonis- Fantastic technique, hopefully he will become good

Left Winger

Best Current Player:

Tommy Oar- Good young winger playing regularly in Holland

Best Future Player:

Connor Pain- Young, pacey, hopefully he develops well

Other Options:

James Troisi- Solid winger and if he does well it Victory he might have a chance

Matthew Leckie- Another solid winger with decent all round stats

Julius Davies- Young winger, could get good depending on game time

Craig Goodwin- Decent winger with potential to be a solid player

Striker

Best Current Player:

Richard Porta - Uncapped in real life, hes the best of those that are there

Best Future Player:

Eli Babalj - The strong forward could turn into a good forward

Other Options:

Scott McDonald- Is an intelligent footballer whos decent technically

Adam Taggart- Great determination, good attributes for a striker, developed into a quality player on my other save

Mitchell Duke- Decent emerging forward

Christopher Cristaldo- Young, pacey forward

Notes

Some good attacking midfielders and goalkeepers. A few positions like left back and striker are a bit of a worry.

57jMJ.jpg

September Friendlies

My first job was 2 friendlies vs Canada and South Africa

I named my first squad. A few players such as Rhys Williams and Brett Holman were out injured

58oU7.png

I also had a decision to make regarding a leader I decided to make legend Tim Cahill captain and Mile Jedinak vice-captain

Against Canada I decided to start with a strikerless tactic but at half time I changed tactic. I handed the some debuts

58oVc.jpg

The game didn't go well. We created a few chances but struggled to adapt to new tactics and different combination of players

58oVZ.png

Next up was South Africa I went with a 4-3-3 like in the 2nd half last time

58oWL.jpg

We lost the possession battle and shot battle but I thought we played quite well and got a result

58oXu.png

Hopefully next month against Colombia the players will be more used to playing with each other in new systems.

Good analysis there, looks like there's plenty of quality in the side and a good mix of youth and experience to choose from.

Will only be a matter of time before the players get used to the new regime.

Are you going to wait until after the WC before managing a club team?

Good analysis there, looks like there's plenty of quality in the side and a good mix of youth and experience to choose from.

Will only be a matter of time before the players get used to the new regime.

Are you going to wait until after the WC before managing a club team?

Depends what comes up. My assistant reckons the players are struggling to motivate themselves under a no-name manager

57jMJ.jpg

October Friendlies

I hired a new assistant manager as I wasn’t happy with Robbie Hooker. I hired Rado Vidosic .

I made a few changes for the friendlies against Colombia and Algeria. Ryan McGowan came in as an injury replacement for Wilkshere

58ppJ.png

I set up a counter-attacking tactic against a quality 9th placed Colombia side

58pJm.jpg

We played quite well on the counter but my inexperienced defence struggled against Falcao, Muriel, Jackson Martinez and Quintero.

58q0q.jpg

I played a strikerless formation again vs Algeria

58qlx.jpg

We were disappointing at creating chances and while they didn’t threaten us for large periods we were again poor.

58qmC.jpgp

Next month we play away to Switzerland and I will focus on the centre of defence and chance creation.

A nice challenge, good luck.

Duffy's already asked but, with the club job are you waiting for an A-League job to come up or is it a time thing, waiting until after the World Cup?

I was originally thinking when it comes up but I'd like to get a working tactic with the national team first

57jMJ.jpg

November Friendly

Scheduled to play Switzerland, I picked a fairly strong squad with experimentation in the left back position and leaving out a few players like Cahill due to injury. I brought in Mark Schwarzer for the injured Adam Federici and Erik Paartalu came in for the injured Matt McKay.

59enH.png

I started with a new formation a 4-4-1-1

59eqf.jpg

We played well in the first half and let 2-0. Mark Schwarzer was positioned poorly and missed a chance for an easy save for their first goal. Their other 2 came off poor marking on set pieces. I thought we played well and even deserved victory but it wasn't to be as frustratingly defending let us down again

59eyc.jpg

Our next friendly is 4 months away in March. I have changed my set-up for defending set pieces and I will have another attempt playing 4-4-1-1

World Cup Draw

Its that time of year, the time of both excitement and dread. The World Cup Draw. We were seeded in pot 2 as pots 2-4 are according to confederation.

We were drawn in group A which first and foremost meant we would have to encounter a dreaded Brazil side on their home turf in the city of Salvador. We play them 3rd in the group. After we were drawn as seed 2, we got one of the easier African teams in Algeria. Its a lot better than a Cameroon or Ivory Coast but is still a difficult game. You might remember the we already faced them in a friendly and lost 1-0 in a close game, I'm sure we will be playing better as a team next time around. Finally there was a pot that had dreaded teams like Belgium, France and Portugal but luckily we got Ireland. Hopefully we can beat Ireland and Algeria so we can get to the next round. I am overall quite pleased with our group

59fsf.jpg

You can take a look at the other groups. Group E will be very interesting

59fDn.png59fE4.png59fET.jpg

57jMJ.jpg

March Friendly

I picked quite a strong squad plus I picked 16 year old wonderkid Daniel De Silva and 19 year old defender Nicholas Ansell. This left me with criticism from Mariners coach Graham Arnold.

59l8k.png

I persisted with my 4-4-1-1 I gave young players Ryan, Leckie, Herd and De Silva a chance in the starting XI. Daniel De Silva aged 1 day of 17 became our youngest ever player

59l97.jpg

Finally we played well and dominated besides our inexperienced lineup. We should have recorded the win but at least we didn't get another loss

59la9.png

Sounds very interesting. Hopefully you can achieve a lot with Australia :)

Good luck mate!

Thanks

Not a bad group there, Joel, reckon you'll qualify from that :thup:
Good chance of qualifying from that.

The pressures on now. I think we can too but going off form, tactical familiarity and the way players react to my team talks it could be a struggle

57jMJ.jpg

League Reviews

A-League

It was a stunning and unexpected result in the A-League as Wellington Phoenix upset the odds (they were predicted last) to beat favourites Roar by a single point. Previous premiers the Wanderers ended up as wooden spooners. Overall it was a close comp.

In the finals Brisbane Roar played Phoenix off the park after both sides won their home semi final.

European Leagues

Of the active European leagues Celtic won the Scottish league with Tom Rogic playing 33 times. Juventus retained Serie A with AC Milan closely behind. Bayern won the Bundesliga. Feyenoord edged Ajax to the Eredivise. Real got it over Barca in La Liga and most shockingly of all West Brom as odds of 51/1 won the Premier League edging Man Utd on goal difference and heres proof.

Asian Leagues

Jiagsu won the Chinese League and Jeonbuk won the K-League

5b3GD.jpg

Final Squad Announcement

I have named my final squad for the 2014 World Cup. I had to cut 7 unlucky players from my preliminary squad and it wasn't easy. Heres who I selected and why

Goalkeepers: 1. Mark Schwarzer, 12. Adam Federici, 16. Matt Ryan

I had 4 keepers truly vying for a spot on the plane to Brazil, these 3 + Langerak. In the end Langerak was the one with the least first team football and attribute wise he was slightly, slightly worse. This will be Mark Schwarzer's last tournament but expect Matt Ryan to start the first match after he performed best in the friendlies leading up to the Cup.

Defenders: 2. Ryan McGowan, 3. Michael Zullo, 4. Mark Milligan, 5. Rhys Williams, 14. Jason Davidson, 18. Alex Wilkinson, 21. Nicholas Ansell

I picked 2 in each of the standard defensive positions (including utility James Holland). McGowan and Zullo are my preferred full-backs which is far more youthful than Holger Osieck's preferred Wilkshere and McKay. Williams will start in the middle as he is our best defender. He will be partnered by either Wilkinson or Milligan. Teenager Ansell is brought in for his experience especially after a good season at Melbourne Victory.

Midfielders: 6. Chris Herd, 7. Robbie Kruse, 8. Adam Sarota, 10. Tom Rogic, 11. Tommy Oar, 13. James Holland, 15. Erik Paartalu, 17. Tim Cahill ©, 20. Daniel De Silva, 22. Matthew Leckie, 23. Brett Holman

The first thing to note is no Mile Jedinak, Mile was injured in one of the preparation games and was ruled out of the World Cup, I brought in previously left out Adam Sarota to replace him. I called up Chris Herd because of his Premier League experience which could be valuable when need be. Paartalu is our main midfield general and will be our likely holding midfielder. Holland and Sarota are the other deeper central midfielders. Kruse, Oar and Leckie are our wide men and their spot on the plane was undisputed as they are our 3 best wingers. My decision to name 4 central attacking mids was an adventurous one. Holman can also play on either wings and adds workrate. Cahill adds class and will likely play as a shadow striker or up front. Rogic is technically good and his dribbling, first touch and passing are his main assets. Daniel De Silva is the future and at 17 I thought he was good enough for a place to Brazil and his form in lead up games confirmed this.

Forwards: 9. Richard Porta, 19. Eli Babalj

There are 2 reasons I only took 2 strikers. Firstly I only play with one striker in every one of my tactics and secondly this really is a position of weakness talent wise. Besides these 2, I didn't think there are others currently good enough for a spot except perhaps Matt Simon who is too similar a player to Babalj in my opinion.

5b3GD.jpg

Preparation: Friendlies & Tactics

5b58w.png

What started poorly, ended well. We were great in the first half against Holland before we defended atrociously in the 2nd. We had an all-round poor performance against Belarus. The 5-2 loss to Montenegro was a disaster. This saw us create a new tactic which brought a 3-2 win over Slovenia and a 2-0 win over Thailand in pleasing performances. The good thing is we scored a lot of goals, the bad thing is that our defence is very leaky.

When we face Brazil I will probably play a 4-5-1 this is our more defensive tactic and it worked quite well 1st half vs Holland.

After poor results I created a 3-6-1 variant which sees me able to use 2 attacking mids playing our strengths (Cahill and Rogic) while not abandoning too much defensively.

The other formation I have set is a 4-4-1-1.

Very excited for this to kick off joel, good couple of wins at the end there to boost the confidence.

I quite like the 3-6-1, Rogic and Tiger Tim are definitely the men to watch.

Thanks. It just seemed logical, allowing them to be in the same team while still being able to play Oar and Kruse

Good luck in the World Cup :thup:

Thanks. I played all 3 Group Stage games and will post my update a bit later on when I have proper time

5b3GD.jpg

FIFA World Cup 2014 Group Stage - Groups B-H

Before I go into my group I will review all the other groups

5c1SC.png

Group B favourites Uruguay were eliminated after 2 unlucky losses to Jamacia and Cameroon where they thoroughly dominated the games. Cameroon and Greece ended up getting through.

5c1XE.jpg

Group C was close and exciting with Chile, Croatia and Portugal all beating Iran but ending on 6 points. In the end an Alexis Sanchez goal saw Chile go through instead of Portugal on head-to-head

5c22C.png

Group D saw Trinidad and Tobago get on the end of 3 thrashings, with Argentina through 1st in the group after they beat Ivory Coast 4-0 and drew with Turkey.

5c268.jpg

In the Group of death, Europe got it over the America's. With Germany and France both defeating Mexico and Paraguay and drawing with each other.

5c2eL.png

This group was interesting as I fully expected Belgium to go through alongside Holland. It was the case of not experienced enough yet as Japan edged through instead after they drew.

5c2ii.jpg

A strong Colombia side got through easily after smashing Italy 4-1 and getting a win and a draw in their other games. Italy won their other games to get through

5c2ld.png

In the last group the typically overpowered England came first after edging Spain in their last game. Spain's 7-0 win over Tunisia was their highlight. USA and Tunisia never looked like progressing

And finally I'll take a look at some of the key stats

5c2pQ.png

5b3GD.jpg

World Cup 2014: My Group Review

Vs. Algeria

I lined up with my new tactic and rewarding Cahill, De Silva and Rogic for their pre-Cup form I started them all moving Babalj to the bench.

5ctah.jpg

We started fantastically going 3-0 up and playing them off the park. Oar was starring the show. But just before half time we conceded a soft goal. I told them not to be complacent but evidently they didn't listen. A simple header back to the keeper from Williams was missed forcing me to sub my keeper Ryan. Late on they scored again. It was very disappointing considering how well we attacked

5cttU.jpg

[video=youtube;jZAjkxAUNI4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZAjkxAUNI4

In the other game Brazil lost 1-0 to Ireland

Vs. Ireland

Next up we faced Ireland and again started with my 3-4-2-1. I made a number of changes, Federici replaced Ryan, Davidson for Wilkinson, a fit again Kruse for Sarota

5cur2.jpg

We played decently in the first half but no teams scored. Shane Long scored early in the first half and for a long time we didn't look like scoring. With 15 minutes left I went overload after that we started to create chances. Rhys Williams scored the equaliser before deep into injury time Chris Herd bagged the winner. I was ecstatic even though Ireland was a game I should've wrapped up earlier.

5cv6U.jpg

[video=youtube;1lb9KOdC64A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lb9KOdC64A

In the other game Brazil beat Algeria 4-0

Vs. Brazil

I started with a more defensive 4-5-1. Babalj, Wilkinson and Zullo came in for Davidson, Rogic and Porta. Brazil's line-up is frightening for any team, my defensive would have their work cut out against a dynamic forward line and 2 world class attacking fullbacks.

5cwBM.jpg

We defended well for the first 69 minutes as they created a lot of chances but most were from long range. Before Brazil scored, they scored again later. We defended valiantly forcing them to shoot from range mostly in a difficult affair.

5cwUG.jpg

[video=youtube;G2_grjXp6KM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2_grjXp6KM

In the other game Algeria beat Ireland 1-0

That left us through in second to face Cameroon in the next round

5cxft.jpg

5b3GD.jpg

2nd Round Review

5cyd3.jpg

Most of the results were expected except Japan vs Germany

Vs. Cameroon

I went back to my 3-4-2-1. Rogic and Porta came in for Zullo and Babalj

5cyjc.jpg

They got an early penalty but Federici made a good save. Kruse opened the scoring with a composed finish. Federici then took a free kick but it went to Cameroon and they equalised. It went to extra time and it was fairly close before Super Captain Timmy Cahill scored the winner off a corner

5cyyA.jpg

[video=youtube;BHaVGaBGkUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHaVGaBGkUE

This means we face Croatia (who I just realised poached Ivan Franjic who just missed out on a spot on the plane to Brazil)

In the other games:

Brazil vs Argentina

Japan vs England

Holland vs Spain

5b3GD.jpg

Quarter Finals

5cAZ0.jpg

Brazil got it over their rivals and Holland got their revenge against Spain

Vs. Croatia

We lined up similarly but Sarota came in for Herd

5cBgF.jpg

We started very well with Oar scoring before they equalised off a corner before took a lead off a cross. Babalj equalised with a class finish before our defence fell apart in the second half

5cBrm.jpg

[video=youtube;Ta9DyZ0LzcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta9DyZ0LzcM

I'll do a squad review after the semi finals and final are complete

5b3GD.jpg

World Cup 3rd Place Play-off and Final

Holland got it over England in the 3rd place play-off. Dirk Kuyt scored the winner but I don't know what hes still doing in the Dutch team. You can look at some of the match info here

In the final Croatia faced Brazil. It was a close game with neither creating many good chances. The goal came from a corner, Dante scored the winner. You can look at the match info here

Here is the goal:

[video=youtube;tOO4MoZhKwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOO4MoZhKwo

5b3GD.jpg

World Cup Stats and Awards

Golden Ball: Mario Mandzukic, 8.29 rating

Silver Ball: Lucas Moura, 7.64 rating

Bronze Ball: Marcelo, 7.96 rating

Best Young Player: Lucas Moura, 7.64

Golden Shoe: Mario Mandzukic, 10 goals

Silver Shoe: Fernando Llorente, 5 goals

Bronze Shoe: Lucas Moura, 5 goals

Golden Glove: Jefferson, 7.21 rating

Goal of the Tournament:

1st

[video=youtube;BTEsrJrxqGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEsrJrxqGM

2nd

[video=youtube;F6Bnij2YvQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Bnij2YvQk

3rd

[video=youtube;nvOhSP1nvQ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOhSP1nvQ0

Dream Team:

5cELx.png

Most Goals Scored: Croatia, 17

Most Goals Conceded: Australia, 13

Think you've done great getting to the quarters and the 2 teams who defeated you made it to the final.

Whats next joel?

Asian Cup in January is top priority to solidify ourselves as number one in Asia

I need to solidify the defence so will experiment with different options in friendlies

I'll apply for any A-League job that comes up

Asian Cup in January is top priority to solidify ourselves as number one in Asia

I need to solidify the defence so will experiment with different options in friendlies

I'll apply for any A-League job that comes up

Sounds good!

57jMJ.jpg5b3GD.jpg

Performance Review

Firstly the board were very pleased with a massive overperformance.

I was impressed with how far we went but our defending was the vital aspect that let us down in 5 games we conceded 13 goals. Our attacking on the otherhand was quite pleasing especially since it was definitely not clicking a few months ago. We scored 9 goals which was the 2nd best in the competition.

We only used 2 tactics in the World Cup, our 3-4-2-1 and our 4-5-1. We scored most and conceded most with 3-4-2-1 but if you take the Croatia game out of the picture the tactic worked ok defensively.

We scored 5/9 of our goals in the first half of games and only conceded 4/13. The worst time for both attack and defence was the beginning of the second half, which shows I may need to use my half time team talk better to avoid complacency. We scored all 9 of our goals from placed shots and conceded 11/13, the other 2 conceded were from headers. We were particularly vulnerable from crosses and corners.

The average age of the squad is 25.78 which is quite good for an international side.

Our top goalscorer was Tommy Oar on 2 goals. The other scorers were Wilkinson, Rogic, Williams, Herd, Kruse, Cahill and Babalj

Our top assister was Tom Rogic with 2. The others were Oar, Wilkinson and Zullo

Our highest average rating was Tommy Oar with 7.29

My short-term goals are to:

- Win the Asian Cup at home in January

- Improve defence

57jMJ.jpg

Personnel Changes

Tim Cahill has retired as captain to focus on just playing. He'll still be in the national team

My new captain is Jedinak and vice-captain is Tom Rogic. The squad seem pleased with the decision.

5cGSR.jpg

Connor Pain has moved from Melbourne Victory to Guangzhou for $1.3M

Tommy Oar from Utrecht to Sampdoria for $3.1M

Alex Wilkinson signed for Ulsan on a free transfer

Mark Schwarzer signed for Sydney FC on a free transfer

Richard Porta signed for Melbourne Victory on a free transfer

Robbie Kruse rejected offers from Everton and Udinese to continue being a regular at Leverkusen

Mate Dugandzic signed for Central Coast Mariners on a free transfer

Chris Herd signed for Sheffield Wednesday on a free transfer

Scott Jamieson signed for Dundee on a free transfer

Shane Lowry signed for Brighton for $2.1M

Ryan McGowan moved from Shangdong to Championship favourites Sunderland for $300K

Michael Zullo moved from Utrecht to Serie B club Verese for $190K

We've also moved from 51 to 43 in the World Rankings

57jMJ.jpg

September 2014 Friendlies

I picked a young and experimental squad

5cL1o.png

I turned my 4-4-1-1 into a 4-2-3-1 so I can incorporate both Pain and Troisi in the line-up. At the back it was experimental. Take a look

We started well but our defence was caught for pace allowing USA to lead 3-1. I dropped the line deeper and subbed the woeful Scott Neville (4.7) and the terrible Curtis Good (5.0) who will take a long, long time to get back into a national team shirt. We attacked better with Troisi and Irvine scoring to make it 3-3

5cLgV.png

Next out we played Iran, I picked a similar line-up but different central defensive pairing

We played fantastically and again Troisi scored twice. The goals we conceded both came from poor defending from Lowry so our defensive problems continue

5cLq4.png

Overall though the performances were fairly good especially since I was experimenting both tactically and personnel wise. I've got a few more players on my list who aren't ready for regular football and identified Troisi and Irvine as possible regulars. Still I need to fix my defensive problems and that will be the focus next month when we play Hungary and Denmark

57jMJ.jpg

October Friendlies

Again I experimented with my line-up this time against Hungary

We played well but found ourselves behind just before half time. Troisi grabbed the equaliser and set up the goal that gave us the lead but in typical fashion a late defensive mistake saw us draw.

5cRDf.jpg

Against Denmark I set up to counter seeing if I could make use of Taggart, Troisi and Kruse's pace.

We fell behind before I went to an attacking style. Tro-messi got a goal and an assist again even though he hasn't played a game in the league. That takes him to 6 goals and 2 assists in 3 and a half Socceroos games since the World Cup. They scored late again. Isn't this getting repititive

5cSn4.jpg

Next month we face Ukraine

57jMJ.jpg

November Friendly

I faced Ukraine. My squad was similar, a few players were missed due to injury with the only surprise pickings being Sainsbury and Behich

5cSOH.png

I started with an unexperienced defence plus picked Dugandzic to replace the injured Kruse in a 4-4-1-1

5cSUm.jpg

We started very poorly going 2-0 down. Our players struggled with the high tempo I set. At half time I made my wide mids out an out wingers, switched them to make them inside forwards, slowed the tempo and brought on 17 year old wonderkid Danny De Silva. De Silva scored the first (his 4th international goal in 9 games) and bagged an assist in an inspirational performance. Tim Cahill converted a penalty for us to win.

5cT0l.jpg

Also I applied for the Sydney FC job but wasn't given it due to them not agreeing with my philosophy regarding signing young players for the first team.

Archived