Wonderkids from minnow nations

On your game do you have any great players from shocking footballing countries? Not necessarily from your own team but around the world, on one of my saves there is a great cb from thailand but i suppose Thailand aren't shocking, i also have an average regen for Newcastle who is from Tuvalu.

Slightly Off Topic to the question but it seems when you get far into the game above average nations get a lot weaker as the regens they produce get a lot worse. For example a good country like Croatia, or Nigeria, don't seem to produce anyone that special

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13 I saw a Chinese striker with 5* potential playing for Castilla (Real Madrid's Reserves), 17 or 18 years old with 18 finishing, tried to get him for Southampton after coming 3rd in the league, wanted £30m+ for him without appearing a single time for the 1st team

In FM12 had a world class right winger from Guinea Bissau and he didn't have dual nationality with Portugal. Was runner up for Golden Ball on several occasions. One of my favorite reg gens ever. I've also had a world class CB/RB from Chad but that was because I set my nationality as Chadian.

I had a young kid from Mongolia in my journeyman save, took him to every team i went to - I thought I was doing him a service by learning different cultures and languages, signed him for free to OFK Belgrade, then onto PAOK then Sparta Prague, Ajax and we both finished up at Dortmund, 12 consecutive league titles in 5 nations and over 150 goals scored lead him to be on of the best midfielders id ever had

Slightly Off Topic to the question but it seems when you get far into the game above average nations get a lot weaker as the regens they produce get a lot worse. For example a good country like Croatia, or Nigeria, don't seem to produce anyone that special

The newgens at some Croatian clubs are potentially world class, was scouting their newgens and some at Dinamo Zagreb were potentially 150+ one being 180 I think.

Anyway, I'd say North Korea, CM ended up displacing Iniesta at Barcelona on FM12. On FM14 haven't gone that far and wide yet, though a good Madagascan midfielder was plying his trade in the Premiership. Forgot what team it was for.

On FM13 I briefly managed a World Class goalkeeper newgen from China. Didn't get to manage him much as the clubs previous manager had annoyed him and he was leaving on a free transfer. I couldn't even buy him when I moved on to Bayern Munich as he hated me as well by the time he left.

I think it was FM10 when I got bored of my save I load up Genie Scout and found that potentially the best player in the world was a South African striker who had spent his whole career at Kaizer Chiefs. I played another season or so and despite my best efforts to scout Africa he never appeared in any report, no wonder he never left and lived up to his potential.

I saw a lot of players from strange countries become very good players in FM11, but the most memorable was a North Korean D C who one of my scouts found. Tried signing him with Tromsdalen in Norway, but I was determined to sign him on as a talent rather than a first team player so I lost him to FC Copenhagen. Fast forward a few years and he is dominating for Barcelona. Other than I remember finding some decent newgens in Uzbekistan (I was always keeping an eye on Paxtakor Toshkent's newgens).

In FM14 I've found no newgens from obscure countries apart from a Singaporean D C that I have signed, but he isn't a wonderkid and it looks unlikely that he will develop past being a decent player.

Way back, in maybe 06 or 08 or something, a Papau New Guinean regen midfielder was the best player in the world. Got snapped up by Real Madrid as soon as he appeared and dominated world football for years. Tried to buy him a few times but absolutely no dice.

Never seen a regen as good as him before or since.

Nigeria are ranked no1 in the world for me, having won ACON & the World Cup. Slovakia are ranked no2 having won the Euros and lost to Nigeria in the WC final. Meanwhile Brazil/Argentina/France etc have amazing regens but are all languishing in the 20-30ish sort of rank, and barely get through group stages of major tournaments. My save has definitely got a bit weird, I have a Japanese ST who is the world's best (most expensive) player atm, a world class Swiss GK and a ridiculously good, 5* potential (although very injury prone) Greek AML. It's gone beyond the stage where I can argue about realism any more! :D

I had a wonder striker from Cape Verde on FM12, I was managing Prestatyn of Wales and sold him to Parma for £7.25million after 2 seasons, broke numerous scoring records for me. I will upload a screenshot later.
Here's mine, Carlos Pedros Rodrigues PROFILE and CAREER SUMMARY, note his first season with me
Still no response that tells me you are an editor.

FM 2007, not exactly wonderkids but more like decent players from interesting countries:

exNuK9Q.jpg

Academy player, was our 3rd choice AML.

SxWmRCq.jpg

Signed him from Xazar for a couple of K Euros. He got better and better and in his last season with us (when 28-29) he was also retrained as a striker. Then sold to Schalke for 9 million Euros. Note that regen face has been added in Paint from FM 12 or 13 since I used his profile in a couple of stories. :)

Also, one club in Serbia (I forgot which) has got a very good Chinese Taipei DC generated in its academy.

Once had a central African Republic DMC in FM12 played in my AC Milan team and was unbeatable cost £23m in his early tenties from parma i think , in fm13 had a Chadian goalkeeper in my arsenal team paid £8m from him from a saudi team.

I have saw some bizarre seconf nationality combos down the years irish/swaziland, iceland/burundi, scotland/panama bost of these guys were rank regens or lower league journey men

Canadian striker in 2013 that ended up being a star player for me, I was quite happy with that since I am Canadian. I often wonder though if the game is designed to give you a decent player or two from your own country? Seems like every season I get a couple Canadians in my youth system because I am Canadian in the game too.