WHY won't my players make a tackle or close down?

WHY?

I have set instructions to every possible thing that could make them actually defend, yet they would rather chase the ball runner and not make a challenge. They won't close down space.

They don't listen to me!!

This is VERY frustrating I want to break something.

Defensive positioning and engagement is not great at the moment. There are ways around it, but not everyone wants to play with a back three and defensive wingers.

I wouldn't expect things to be any different on release day (as that's just 2 days away), but these issues are rightly high on SI's agenda to fix.

Just remember that relative to the FM13 Beta, we're in a far better place.

Defensive positioning and engagement is not great at the moment. There are ways around it, but not everyone wants to play with a back three and defensive wingers.

I wouldn't expect things to be any different on release day (as that's just 2 days away), but these issues are rightly high on SI's agenda to fix.

Just remember that relative to the FM13 Beta, we're in a far better place.

Eeh I thought defending was ok, nothing amazing... But it sounds like the update has borked it more. I haven't touched my save yet cos of the inbox issue! Hope it gets fixed pronto mind.

How does the back 3 solve problem of standing off players, not going in for tackles and the passive CBs with crosses? Does it?

When I watch full backs, I often see them either jockey a player down the line, or they get back in line with the defence and go narrow.

Wide midfielders and Defensive wingers don't exhibit this soft behaviour. They will close down wide men, and they will tackle. This is particularly true where you ask them to specific man mark.

This allows the rest of the defence to hold its shape better, so even if a player does get past the DW/WM, you have more bodies in the middle to contest any crosses that come in. Crosses are a sympton of the soft wide defending. If you can stop wide attackers earlier, you can heavily reduce the number of crosses coming in.

By that token have you tried specific man markings by full backs?

Not for a while. I thought the wide defending was a bit soppy in the first Beta so I tried that very solution.

When it was still too passive, I reverted to a back three.

If I remember correctly, I also thought that in FM13 DWs or WMs did a "better job" of tracking, marking and tackling than full backs.

Are you setting "show onto foot" instructions?

The show onto foot instructions appear to cause players not to close down beyond a certain limit, probably because they're attempting to manage passing lanes as a priority over regaining possession. Essentially, they're marking space instead of marking the man, which is fine when your opponent is looking to transition, but absolutely useless against anyone in the final third of the pitch (IE when no further passes are going to be made).

I only use those instructions on defensive players, as a result, to force my opponents to play more long balls (thus conceding possession earlier).

Admittedly, this has become MUCH more noticeable with this ME, as opposed to the one in FM13. I assume it's something to do with the shift away from sliders. It could also actually be a problem, IE not WAD, but only a dev would know that for sure.

Oh, and under no conditions allow your assman to set the OIs... they're horrendously terrible at it this year, even if they have the required attributes. Actually they were never very good anyway, primarily because it's impossible for the AI to understand your tactical system as well as you do.

I've found that using the OI's on the opposition wingers/widemidfielders helps tremendously. Although it is certainly far from what I'd like to see.. Close down always, show to opposite foot.

You can use this on fullbacks/wingbacks too, and you should if they're the only wide options in a team.

lol, 'fm match engine in not being able to defend shocker!!!' i d/l the demo last night and my first league match my ball winning midfield had the ball brake 2 foot away from him on the edge of the box from a corner and decided to run away from it allowing their corner taker to run 10 yards onto the ball and smash the crossbar...

same **** with the defenders aswell. i am beginning to think its impossible to implement a proper defensive structure in FM. been looking like headless chickens for a good while now, going back.

lol, 'fm match engine in not being able to defend shocker!!!' i d/l the demo last night and my first league match my ball winning midfield had the ball brake 2 foot away from him on the edge of the box from a corner and decided to run away from it allowing their corner taker to run 10 yards onto the ball and smash the crossbar...

same **** with the defenders aswell. i am beginning to think its impossible to implement a proper defensive structure in FM. been looking like headless chickens for a good while now, going back.

It's a Beta, it'll get fixed in time.

Please try and refrain from giving the swear filter some exercise.

ok, but its not just exclusive to this beta is it?!

dont get me wrong, i'm sure they are trying their best and going on past experience its a juggling act to try and get it right. thats why i said i'm starting to think its impossible to get right as its the same problem of not even looking like a defensive unit with each individual knowing their job and instead reacting to parameters set out on an individual basis and ends up looking like the keystone cops...

I just tried some specific man marking in my last game, it was calamitous.

The defenders in question couldn't be further away from their designated man.

This feature is essentially broke so you might as well disable it

What I don't understand is you have the fm13 engine pretty stable surely it just needs building on, why does it end up worse?

I find that currently things are more defensively stable the more attacking you make your full backs ... full backs on complete wingback attack with "get further forward" and "stay wider" do a better job than your standard full back support type role, probably because the higher mentality makes them more aggressive.

Still don't expect miracles, there's a big problem with the zonal marking right now in that players seem oblivious to their team mates, they'll go to pick up a guy who is "in their zone" regardless of whether a team mate already has him covered and that it would leave some other player open. You just have to deal with it, the AI team suffers just as badly from it so it's not like it makes the game unfair or anything.

I told my fullbacks to close down more and my centerbacks to mark tighter in player instructions. Also started training Defending Set Pieces as my match preparation every week. Since then, I've gotten 7 clean sheets in a row where I was leaking goals before so maybe that will help others too.

I must be missing something because it only has tight marking, tackling, show onto foot and closing down. No specific marking.

It has specific man marking if you are on the match screens i.e where you set OI's or give team talks just before a game.

Archived