Do You Ever Get Disheartened?

Crewe are my local team in real life I go to all their home games and they are my second team next to Sunderland. In the first season on FM I managed to get Crewe to league one winners then with alot of wheeling and dealing managed to get to the playoffs. I dispatched Barnsley easily over the 2 legs and had West Brom to face in the final. I had beaten them 3-1 previously at my place but they had beaten me early in the league 4-2 at theirs. I went to the final and was beaten 3-1 my star player Gregory Thil missed a few chances that he seemed to score during the league. Now the board have accepted a £1.6 million deal for his strike partner Stancu but h e rejected the move to Wigan.

I am now not looking forward to next season a long slog of 46 games with the board maybe selling my best players for low amounts I will have hardly any money to improve the team and its gets me down a bit. Do you ever feel down knowing you were 1 game away from taking a rubbish team to the promised land?

Guess I am going to have to get on with it and stop moaning lol. I am determined to get them there lets just hope I can sign Lansbury on a free as his contract is ending and he has me and Crewe as his favourites. So does it ever get you down? I cannot imagine what a real manager must feel lol.

Yer i imagine this is a real pain in the backside especially with your chairman excepting offers. I remeber on FM07 Simor Jordan of Crystal Palace would except all offers for anyone, that annoyed me greatly. I don't think i have experienced it on 08 which is great :D. I'm currently managing Coventry and im still in my 1st season :( i hope i have the luck you did in your 1st season. Btw why are you and Crewe on Lansbury's faves??

Lansbury came on loan for 3 months in the first season and played well so I praised him and he has been on loan all of this season and I praised him again so he now likes Crewe and me hope I can get him on loan again he signed a new contract with Arsenal. My team seemed to fuction on a if you score 2 we will score 3 system. Scored 105 goals in the league but conceeded 65. Its hard as I cannot attract anyone that good in defense. Good luck with your game I had Ben Turner on loan in first season he is decent for league one.

Ye, decent for league 1, but my ass man seems to often choose him for my matches so..he performs well on some occasions but most of the time i have to put someone more experienced in. But i got rid of De Zeew (sp) as i personally don't like OLD squads unless im LLM. and good luck to you , *fingers crossed* you win promotion to the Prem

I rarely venture down the leagues but I have become disheartened quite afew times while playing as my beloved Sunderland. Because I support them I feel the pain of defeat twice as hard. No matter what I do I find it hard to improve upon. In my first season, I finished an amazing fourth in the Premier League meaning that I qualify for the ECC, fast forward 6 months and I have just been knocked out of the UEFA Cup by NEC Breda of all teams, and I am clinging onto hopes of a mid-table finish. I have heard of second season syndrome but I didn't think that it applied to FM too!

I must admire you for that ^^

And how do you to cope managing your fave/local club?? i always find that i try and copy real life which doesn't work as FM doesn't normally reflect real life.

Sorry for sort of hidjacking your thread AcidBurn. This question is aimed at you and SAFCrhys_KeanoFTM

i get very disheartened when i see my arsenal losing stupid games and capitulating. just lost 3-0 away in eindhoven against psv in the champions league after an undeserved 4-2 defeat at old trafford. as soon as this kind of thing happens i just have to stop playing, i cant actually face going back to it for another couple of days at least too!

Me and KeanoFTM have alot in common as I had a good season as Sunderland finishing 8th which is alot lower than you but I managed to win the league cup the next season started with 3 losses in a row and I cant be bothered to go back to that game yet. Its hard to play as your favourite team, very hard. I have given up a few times on Sunderland games but I will download the weegie update so I can use Malbranque and Diouf and the rest to start about my 20th game as Sunderland.

On my current game the board have only sold Masiello a free transfer who has made us £1.3 million pity he was great but nothing I could do about it really.

No one will bid for Stancu got 2 loanees coming and Ionescu for 100k bought De Ridder with the rest of my cash. The bad feelings I had are starting to go although Liverpool just offered me a job I want to get my local team up to the prem. They only offered £9.5 million to spend.

I normally wouldn't, being a Walsall fan ;) .. but i started un-employed and they wanted me and as they say..the rest is history. I have just beaten Stoke 5-1 :D..good times..keep me updated with your carear..PM if you like as they might close threads if we consistantly go off topic.

i get very disheartened when i see my arsenal losing stupid games and capitulating. just lost 3-0 away in eindhoven against psv in the champions league after an undeserved 4-2 defeat at old trafford. as soon as this kind of thing happens i just have to stop playing, i cant actually face going back to it for another couple of days at least too!

I must admit, I get really frustrated when a result doesn't go my way, the computer and its desk have taken a pummeling on more than one occasion. Especially as with Sunderland you are always favourites for relegation, and in the first few seasons its hard to sign quality players. The furthest I have ever got with Sunderland is 2010/11, I usually get so frustrated that I delete the game by then, childish I know, but I can't help it!

You have Stancu down below the premiership? And are struggling? Wow.

He took Adebayor's place in my Arsenal game recently (2014-2015 season) after slowly catching up with him as Ade aged... And has been brilliant. Admittedly he's falling short of Ade's goal tallies, but then he was getting old so I needed that payday from him.

edit: Plus Adebayor's only scored 12 this season from 28. 8 from 17 in the league, for Inter. Seems I sold at the right time?

Stancu played extremely poor for the first half of the season and only came good towards the end and disappeared in the playoff final. This season could be the one it doesnt matter if you have a great attack as my defense was terrible at times.

Managing the team that you support definately brings about a lot of extra angst and frustration when things aren't going your way on the game. However, I've found that no matter who I'm managing, I always end up growing somewhat attached to the team, and thus the frustration comes anyway when things aren't going my way!

Truth be told, I have done a lot of groans of frustration, bashing the table with my fist (and sometimes my head), and I even find myself yelling things at the computer like "You HAVE to be kidding!" or "No way was that %$*ing offside!!!"

Personally, it's how I know this game is so good, when it gets that kind of reaction from you; it means that you care, which is the level of immersion I don't get playing anything else. :thup:

I agree the way the game gets you hooked and involved is great I was just shouting about the game cheating as I had 21 shots and scored once and the AI had 4 shots and scored twice. Funny how its not cheating when its the other way round. I guess I get disheartened because I want the premier league so bad but its a huge step up for my team. Come on the mighty Crewe.

Archived