Luke Shaw

andyk1993

Has anybody ever attempted re-training Luke Shaw to be a midfielder (Gareth Bale esque) where he moves from the back? I guess it could work as he had the stats for it and is only young, was just curious to see if anyone had tried it

I can't even buy him in FM14. Maybe I may have better luck in a couple of seasons. I have a good replacement anyway for my DL spot in Coentrao.

yep, nearly 25 million to get him now, went with Alaba instead

quite possibly one of the more absurd things i've read on these boards (i'm not implying any fault of yours), and something that i find so frustrating i often go long periods without playing and never end up starting more than 1-2 saves per game iteration.

"oh wait I couldn't get this half-promising barely established mid table left back so instead I SETTLE on getting an well established, multiple domestic title/champions league winning star who's quite possibly top 5 in his position IN THE WORLD".

yeah....settle...that's the word.

nearly 25 million to get him now, went with Alaba instead
quite possibly one of the more absurd things i've read on these boards (i'm not implying any fault of yours), and something that i find so frustrating i often go long periods without playing and never end up starting more than 1-2 saves per game iteration.

"oh wait I couldn't get this half-promising barely established mid table left back so instead I SETTLE on getting an well established, multiple domestic title/champions league winning star who's quite possibly top 5 in his position IN THE WORLD".

He didn't use the word "settle", just that he decided to buy someone else.

To call him a "half-promising barely established mid table left back" is just well... wrong. :)

He didn't use the word "settle", just that he decided to buy someone else.

To call him a "half-promising barely established mid table left back" is just well... wrong. :)

I don't know why I feel drawn into answering this but I honestly don't see whats wrong with my rationale. It's true that the poster I quoted didn't use the word "settle" but his post implies that he was so hard to get that he went with another option - hence "settle".

But hey, look, I like this years Southampton squad. It's got a sympathetic group of players, nice style and a great manager (soon to be the football hipsters choice over dortmund i bet) so I don't want this post to reflect that poorly upon them.

Honestly though, Luke Shaw is 18 years old if wikipedia isn't lying. And while it is a massive achievement to establish oneself as a starter in any premier league team as a teenager, and even harder as a teenager playing in the back four, I still don't feel the need to hype the man up after a grand total of what? 25-30 EPL matches under his belt (32 according to wiki again). To me that is the very definition of half-promising. Barely established refers to the fact that he's not exactly a household name, perhaps in promise but not in pure talent. And had he come through at another club, it would be very rare to see him get starts or 90 mins in the near future. He knows himself that a transfer in this past or the coming few windows will just relegate him to sitting on the bench. Big up to Soton for having the balls to give him experience though. And is mid table wrong? I've expressed my fancy for them but I'm as shocked as anyone seeing them in the top 8-12 teams especially since they were new in the EPL last year.

Now on to Alaba. 21 Years old. Regular in the bundesliga for 3,5 seasons. Regular at Bayern for 2,5 seasons. 2 Bundesliga titles, 2 CL - finals + a deep playoff run. 30 caps for his country, often as a CM instead of a FB. My argument is that these two should be NOWHERE NEAR in ability, NOR should Alaba be an easier transfer target than Luke Shaw.

I assume this is about two different things

1. Transfer system has some faults that need ironing out. I've had €40M bids turned down for players that are 16-17 and not even in the first team like a Fabregas/Messi if one was to compare.

2. The english are completely mad with overestimating their own players. I mean after 190 minutes of football in the EPL Adnan Januzaj suddenly becomes uniteds 3rd best player after RVP and Rooney and after 2 goals against the leagues most miserable team people start talking about him suiting up for england? This is so immensely crazy and disproportionate that I don't even know where to start. Nowadays you seem to need a good 30 min cameo appearance to become the biggest talent in the world while players who play regularly week in and week out are considered to be rubbish. It was the same story with Sterling last year.

I mean in the grand scheme of things Luke Shaw is showing great promise, but hes not even in the top 25-50 bracket of Left Backs around Europe or the world. The same with Januzaj (at his position).

But enough of this.

I got him for 10mil and then went back in the save and tried again n then they wanted 24mil plus.

Something has obviously happened with one of the later releases. Glad I got him at the beginning then :cool: Although for my serious games I never allow transfers in the first window anyway to try and keep it as realistic as possible....

Young English players always do seem more expensive, even in real life, clubs that don't need the money will hold on to these players to "play them" (where in reality at clubs like Chelsea and City their youth players just seem to rot on the bench) You're right in the case of Januzaj, with any "big club" young player who all of a sudden has a good game, all of a sudden are "the best in the world" but mostly it's the media who p*** their pants and get everyone hyped up, yeah like Stirling suddenly "england's best talent" then can barely get a game at Liverpool, just going in the reserves, same with Bertrand and Zaha, because these big clubs wont give them a real chance

• 5 months later...

Half promising? hahahaha.

To be fair he's 23 in my game and not progressed as expected, i picked him up for £4.5 million and hoping he kicks on. But yeah I agree with you in saying he is a hell of a prospect and goes on to be awesome in most games

He's 33 in my game.

Currently has 125 Caps and has won the following.

2015 European U21 Champiosnhip.

2022 World Cup.

2027 FA Cup.

2028 Premier Division.

2028 EURO Cup.

2028 Community Shield.

2028 European Super Cup.

Was bought by Liverpool in 2015 for £14M.

Has always been managed by the AI.

Has actually been outstanding for me at LWB (retrained, natural now). He has been given a lot of game time, and he will be staying with me for as long as I keep this save, he is perfect!

fcef8bdb3774a58b6c15a0b900ee9d06.png

Very impressive stats;

4e7d6c5f715315d7853b6848e6678783.png

Considering poaching him for my Sheff Utd side.

Currently in 2016 about to start my 2nd season in the PL after back to back promotions and avoiding the drop.

Scouted him, and he's only a backup/rotation player for the Saints! A consequence of their overacheivement. My scout reckons i could get him for 4.2m...

To be fair he's 23 in my game and not progressed as expected, i picked him up for £4.5 million and hoping he kicks on. But yeah I agree with you in saying he is a hell of a prospect and goes on to be awesome in most games

I thought you meant IRL.

He's 33 in my game.

Currently has 125 Caps and has won the following.

2015 European U21 Champiosnhip.

2022 World Cup.

2027 FA Cup.

2028 Premier Division.

2028 EURO Cup.

2028 Community Shield.

2028 European Super Cup.

Was bought by Liverpool in 2015 for £14M.

Has always been managed by the AI.

He's at my club, Yeovil on mine. He's 35 and is still getting in the team, however he's retiring at the end of the season alongside Ward-Prowse. Before Shaw joined me, he was with PSG where he played 305 times (12 years).

Anyway, with PSG he won:

FA Cup (2015)

Ligue 1 (2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2024, 2025)

French Champions Trophy (five times between 2017-2025)

Club World Championship (2018)

Champions League (3 times between 2018-25)

European Super Cup (2018,2019)

French Cup (2026)

Coupe De La Ligue (5 times between 2018-2026)

With Yeovil, he's won:

Premier Division (2028, 2030)

Champions League (2029,2030)

European Super Cup (2029, 2030)

FA Cup (2027, 2030)

Community Shield (2026, 2027)

With England, he's won:

Euros (2016, 2024)

World Cup (2026, 2030)

That should equal 39 competition wins, which is an incredible record.

I thought you meant IRL.

He's at my club, Yeovil on mine. He's 35 and is still getting in the team, however he's retiring at the end of the season alongside Ward-Prowse. Before Shaw joined me, he was with PSG where he played 305 times (12 years).

Anyway, with PSG he won:

FA Cup (2015)

Ligue 1 (2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2024, 2025)

French Champions Trophy (five times between 2017-2025)

Club World Championship (2018)

Champions League (3 times between 2018-25)

European Super Cup (2018,2019)

French Cup (2026)

Coupe De La Ligue (5 times between 2018-2026)

With Yeovil, he's won:

Premier Division (2028, 2030)

Champions League (2029,2030)

European Super Cup (2029, 2030)

FA Cup (2027, 2030)

Community Shield (2026, 2027)

With England, he's won:

Euros (2016, 2024)

World Cup (2026, 2030)

That should equal 39 competition wins, which is an incredible record.

He won the FA Cup at PSG? ;)

Archived