FM14: Barnsley FC - Because Every Little Thing, Is Gonna' Be Alright!

lewis999

Welcome to the Barnsley FC thread for Football Manager 2014.

bfc1.jpg

Club History

Barnsley FC was established in 1887 by a clergyman, Tiverton Preedy, and played in the Sheffield and District League from 1890 and then in the Midland League from 1895. They joined the Football League in 1898 and struggled in Division Two for the first 10 years due in part to ongoing financial difficulties. In 1910 the club reached the FA Cup final, where they lost out to Newcastle in a replay match. However, they would then reach the 1912 Cup final where they would defeat West Brom 1–0 in a replay to win the trophy for the first and only time in their history.

Barnsley have spent more seasons in the second tier of English football than any other club in history and have produced some notable talents over the years who have gone on to be successful at other clubs. One example is Tommy Taylor, who was a prolific goalscorer for Barnsley in the early 1950s and went on to win two league titles with Manchester United (as well as scoring 16 times in 19 England internationals) before losing his life in the Munich air disaster. Taylor's move to Manchester United was for a then world-record fee of £29,999.

Barnsley had the distinction of playing in the last play-off final at Wembley before the stadium was closed for redevelopment, and in 2006 won in a play-off final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, where they beat Swansea City 4–3 on penalties (2–2 after extra-time) to earn promotion to the Championship.

The team struggled in their first season back in the Championship. In November 2006, with Barnsley in the relegation zone, Ritchie was sacked in favour of Simon Davey. Davey managed to steer the team away from relegation in the second half of the season, and eventually finishing in 20th. The following season, a much-changed Barnsley side managed an historic FA Cup run, beating Premier League giants Liverpool 2–1 at Anfield and defending champions Chelsea 1–0 to reach the semi-finals for the first time since 1912, where they narrowly lost out 1–0 to fellow Championship side Cardiff City at Wembley.

Barnsley narrowly avoided relegation from the Championship that season, and after a disappointing start to the 2009–10 season Simon Davey was sacked in favour of former Rotherham United boss Mark Robins.

In May 2011, after a difficult 2010/11 season, Mark Robins resigned as manager due to a dispute over the budget for the following season. He was replaced by Rochdale manager Keith Hill and his assistant David Flitcroft. Barnsley ended the 2011–12 season as one of only two football clubs to turn a profit in the Football Championship, ironically they stayed up due to Portsmouth F.C. having a 10-point deduction for going into administration. The club's form failed to improve the following season, and Keith Hill was sacked as manager shortly before the turn of the year. David Flitcroft took over initially as caretaker manager, and after an improved run of results (combined with Sean O'Driscoll and Terry Butcher turning down the chance to manage the club) earned the job on a permanent basis.

Over the past decade Barnsley have experienced a number of highs and lows as a football club. At the end of the 1996/1997 season Barnsley reached the top tier for the first time in their history. However, they were relegated the following season despite their efforts.

The Emotion of the 2012-2013 Season

I could write about this and it be very boring as there's a load of writing above so instead i'm going to let you watch this fantastic video from youtube by It's Just Like Watching Brazil (Which is a Barnsley song.)

[video=youtube;qOdTuL56pvE]

Why Barnsley?

With the rollercoaster of last season over and every single pundit or football league "expert" saying Barnsley will go down yet again! (They've been saying it for years) it's our time to show them we won't go down and will stay competitive in this league and try to reach the best league in the world. The bottom line is....It's a massive challenge.

The Team

Goalkeepers

The goalkeeping situation is basically a straight choice of Luke Steele. He's probably good enough for the Championship but you definitely need cover. He's a good shot stopper and decent in the air but his mentals lack slightly so a back up will be needed as the wage budget doesn't warrant getting in an expensive goalkeeper when Steele is adequate.

Defence

On the right hand side of defence the natural ones are Scott Wiseman and Bobby Hassell who again are probably lower league Championship defenders so I would recommend signing someone for this position. Peter Ramage (On loan from Crystal Palace) and Martin Cranie can play out there if needed but they're both good CB's for this level so I wouldn't recommend that.

In the centre of defence like I mentioned above the first choice pairing should be Martin Cranie and Peter Ramage with Lewin Nyatanga and Jean-Ives M'voto as back up. The two back ups are again lower league championship defenders and are new arrivals so they may need time to bed in so I wouldn't risk either of them straight away. I would say if you sign a new CB he should be your best defender as having Ramage as a back up is very strong.

At left back your options are very poor. I would say this is your main problem area as you have Jim Mcnulty and Tom Kennedy. Both are League One defenders at the most.

Midfield

There is no out and out defensive midfielder in your team and as one of the poorest teams in the division I would say this is another area I would put very high up your priority list. In central midfield David Perkins and Jacob Mellis are both definitely good enough in this division. Steven Dawson is back up but even though his stats suggest he is capable he has never impressed me wherever and however i've played him. So again this is another area you should look to strengthen.

Onto the wings and Jim O'Brien is probably your best bet. He's good enough for this level but again I think if you want to be going up to the Premier League you need someone better and him to be back up. Dale Jennings is natural on the left wing and has a lot of pace and trickery but is very weak mentally. He's also a new signing from Bayern Munich so I do think he should have more potential than he has. Kelvin Etuhu and Tomasz Cywka complete your options out wide and both are good back up's even though Etuhu can be very temperamental. I've sold him myself and he has brought in 475k from Brighton which is very good for a back up to Barnsley.

Strikers

There is an abundance of strikers at Barnsley but I would only say 2 at most are probably good enough if you're ambitious enough to try get in the play-offs. Those two are Chris O'Grady who is a fans favourite in real life who is also very good in game and arguably the best player and Marcus Pedersen who is a Norweigen U21 International who is on the periphery of the Norweigen national team.

The others are Chris Dagnall who although works very hard for the team, he's not a natural goalscorer and Jason Scotland who even though I rate in real life as a very clever link up man on FM he isn't suited to many roles at all. He's not fast enough to be an advanced forward or poacher. He's not strong enough in the air to be a target man and in the game he isn't made to be a deep lying forward or a trequartista.

Special Mention

This goes to Paddy McCourt who scored a fantastic solo goal at the weekend before being brought off feeling unwell. He has the same stats as he had with his previous team which is fair enough because he's only been here since a few games into the season but I don't know where to class him. He can be re-trained to play up front and he's clever enough to be a deep lying forward or trequartista or even a false 9 but he lacks a few things like decision making and his physicals are poor so where you use him is up to you.

[video=youtube;99v579vmlds]

That's all i'm putting in for the first post just yet. It's just so it's up. I'll be adding lots more in the coming days.

I'll reserve the first few posts for a few things and see how it goes.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not played the beta but is David Fox's loan from Norwich included in the game. If so, you've got your self such a good RL player. Cant praise that guy enough. Was with him at a local boxing event only a few weeks ago in Norwich. Never caused any hassle despite being chucked aside by a manager who believes that stuffing the midfield with muscle man who cant pass will aid his issue in providing a link between defence and attack. Fox was that link, and was used superbly by Paul Lambert in his time with us.

Paddy McCourt is another brilliant signing. Yes he can have the odd no show, but when hes on it, hes on it! lol

Good luck with the thread. :)

I've not played the beta but is David Fox's loan from Norwich included in the game. If so, you've got your self such a good RL player. Cant praise that guy enough. Was with him at a local boxing event only a few weeks ago in Norwich. Never caused any hassle despite being chucked aside by a manager who believes that stuffing the midfield with muscle man who cant pass will aid his issue in providing a link between defence and attack. Fox was that link, and was used superbly by Paul Lambert in his time with us.

Paddy McCourt is another brilliant signing. Yes he can have the odd no show, but when hes on it, hes on it! lol

Good luck with the thread. :)

No he's not included which is a shame. The Barnsley fans love him as well. He uses the ball very well when he gets it and he does win it a lot too. Always 110% from him which is what we need at the minute.

I've started a season with Barnsley and just got to first match of the season.

Really finding it hard to get players in. Scouted, bid and then offered a contract to this left back from Scotland. Waited about 2/3 weeks in game days to see if he would sign. Didn't sign.

Sold RNL to Southampton for 2.6 million but i only got 35% of the transfer fee. Also sold Etuhu for about 475K.

Tried to sell Mellis because when i tried to offer him a new contract he watched 15K a week. offering him out for about 2/2.5 million but i haven't sold him yet.

Good information about RNL! Gonna sell him ASAP when I get the full game. I'm using the editor firstly to sort out a few things like the footedness of Cywka and RNL. I'll also try and ask the board for more % of transfers.

I'm Arsenal at the minute just to get a few wins on the board before the real challenge starts on the 31st.

Mellis is always my best player and he accepted 7k when I re-negotiated.

No he's not included which is a shame. The Barnsley fans love him as well. He uses the ball very well when he gets it and he does win it a lot too. Always 110% from him which is what we need at the minute.

During the NCFC back to back promotions (League 1 to Champ to Prem) David Fox was so key. If a teams making effort to be a passing side then he will fit in. Constantly comfy getting on the ball, recieving from the back line and keeping it moving. The link between defence and attack that so many more simple minded managers bypass in exchange for other use of muscle. He often gets forgotten but I can still watch the League 1 and championship highlight dvds and lose count how many goals hes involved in. May not always get the final assist but usually instrumental starting a move. Model Pro too! Deserves to be playing 1st team so im glad Barnsley came in.

Add Butland, McCourt into the mix and Barnsley are certainly heading in the right direction.

During the NCFC back to back promotions (League 1 to Champ to Prem) David Fox was so key. If a teams making effort to be a passing side then he will fit in. Constantly comfy getting on the ball, recieving from the back line and keeping it moving. The link between defence and attack that so many more simple minded managers bypass in exchange for other use of muscle. He often gets forgotten but I can still watch the League 1 and championship highlight dvds and lose count how many goals hes involved in. May not always get the final assist but usually instrumental starting a move. Model Pro too! Deserves to be playing 1st team so im glad Barnsley came in.

Add Butland, McCourt into the mix and Barnsley are certainly heading in the right direction.

We do try to play the right way, just sometimes become unstuck as our budget can't always get the players we require although now we have Fox, McCourt and Butland it seems our new Chairman Maurice Watkins and his affiliation with Man Utd means we not only have more pulling power but also many more contacts in football. I hope we can take Fox off your hands in January. Would be brilliant that.

Very good chance of it. Totally unappreciated by Hughton. Chris is the opposite to Paul Lambert who was in charge. Lambert Appreciated the players who technically can pick a pass, make something happen. Chrissy Hughton is more a 'defend and hope we draw 0-0' type and would rather fill the midfield with muscle men with limited technical ability. No problem one of those types being there to counter certain threats but we try fill the midfield with it at the expense of Fox, Hoolahan types etc....we've suffered as a result. Heres hoping for Barnsley. Top guide either way chap :)

Very good chance of it. Totally unappreciated by Hughton. Chris is the opposite to Paul Lambert who was in charge. Lambert Appreciated the players who technically can pick a pass, make something happen. Chrissy Hughton is more a 'defend and hope we draw 0-0' type and would rather fill the midfield with muscle men with limited technical ability. No problem one of those types being there to counter certain threats but we try fill the midfield with it at the expense of Fox, Hoolahan types etc....we've suffered as a result. Heres hoping for Barnsley. Top guide either way chap :)

Seems decent on the ball. Good link from Defense to players like McCourt and Mellis who can do damage in the final third.

Good guide and fantastic opening vid! Is Butland included in the squad at the start of the game, and can/will he extend his loan past Dec 26th?

When the real game comes out i'll be putting up some more screens of the budget and doing lists of players that would be good signings and possible formations etc.

Butland isn't included but when the game comes out I am going to get the editor and put him and Fox at Barnsley. I think with Fox they'll be a chance to renew his loan but with Butland because he's a highly rated player as in promising and International standard almost when you go to renew it will most likely say "Stoke aren't willing to loan this player due to first team commitments" as his rep will be higher than Barnsleys. Hope that's not the case but if it is he'll be good to have for 6 months.

I wouldn't say that about Hughton TBF, well, not IRL as we played our most attractive football under Hughton.

I've always rated Hoolahan in the game, top player!

I wouldn't say that about Hughton TBF, well, not IRL as we played our most attractive football under Hughton.

I've always rated Hoolahan in the game, top player!

Wish I could say the same at NCFC at present IRL. I want the guy to do well so much, as to be fair hes a very likeable bloke but the football we play at times is utterly depressing. Until recent weeks when loads of pressures been put on him its like we set up every game to draw 0-0.

His biggest problem has been following Paul Lambert who just brought success instantly in every league we were in (Lg1 to Champ to Prem)....and he did it playing super attacking football very much under the 'we will score one more than you' mentality (which from a season ticket holder home and away's pov is brilliant value for money lol).

Players like Fox, Hoolahan were allowed to express themselves and encouraged to do so under Lambert. Hopefully all comes right at NCFC or we will be back with Barnsley next season.

Wish I could say the same at NCFC at present IRL. I want the guy to do well so much, as to be fair hes a very likeable bloke but the football we play at times is utterly depressing. Until recent weeks when loads of pressures been put on him its like we set up every game to draw 0-0.

His biggest problem has been following Paul Lambert who just brought success instantly in every league we were in (Lg1 to Champ to Prem)....and he did it playing super attacking football very much under the 'we will score one more than you' mentality (which from a season ticket holder home and away's pov is brilliant value for money lol).

Players like Fox, Hoolahan were allowed to express themselves and encouraged to do so under Lambert. Hopefully all comes right at NCFC or we will be back with Barnsley next season.

You can't go down 2 divisions at once :) That's if we carry on shipping goals like we are doing anyway.

Started the game and the squad doesn't look too bad. Need a back up or first team keeper. I have signed, Keith Fahey free, Daniel Johnson loan (villa) and laquinta.

Played first friendly and drew 2-2 with Morton.

The new tactics are really easy to use, but will take time not having sliders. Good luck with saves.

I've had a shocker on it.

11 points from 16 Games.

Signed a few good players i think including Gary Gardener like Wakey24 but i don't play him. Been playing 4231 for the most of the season although i have played 442 and it didn't change things.

Sold O'brien for about 600K

Rose out on loan to a league two team.

Reuben Noble Lazarus out on loan to Ipswich

and a lot of the other players out on loan including Mcnulty, Knight, Hassell Digby all to different league two clubs. I also sold Etuhu to Brighton for 120K.

I brought in Paul Robinson (left back), De Ridder, bigirimana, Gary Gardener, Connor Hunte (top youth player available on a free), miyachi (only got him in October though). Also got Novota on loan and hes been my number one.

Bought Jason Holt from hearts for about 165K and loaned him out to Nottingham Forest.

I can't defend on it. Quite simple. Played 16 and let in 34.

11 points from that. One win and a draw in 9 games. Lost to Two local rivals in Doncaster and Sheffield united in that.

I think i might be close to getting the sack.

Well, I think I am goin to start again. I have scored 1 goal and let in 13 in my first 6 games. I hate starting again as it's sort of cheating, but I can't help feeling I have gone wrong, especially not signing a new keeper.

I got rid of Hassell, O'Brien and Ethuhu.

Well, I think I am goin to start again. I have scored 1 goal and let in 13 in my first 6 games. I hate starting again as it's sort of cheating, but I can't help feeling I have gone wrong, especially not signing a new keeper.

I got rid of Hassell, O'Brien and Ethuhu.

Post your tactics up, it sounds like you're being dominated quite easily.

I drew my first two games 0-0 and in between I won 1-0 against Rochdale. Then my last game was a 3-2 win against Yeovil which should of been a lot more convincing as they had 2 shots on target all game. Took a 90th min winner from Chris O'G to win.

I am having some real issues. I keep conceding from corners, the opposition hit the post and score from the rebound, I have 1 or 2 one on ones and we miss them every time, if we get a chance in the six yard box we miss it. I have looked at the issues thread and these are common. I won't be playing until the patch comes out.

I think I have 7 points from 6/7 games, after winning my first 2.

I'm playing with Barnsley of course but due to not having much time i'm only 3 league games in and 2 capital cup games. When I get through more tonight i'll do an update. It's been like this for years wakey24.

Seems impossible to drum up interest.

Right a mini update I think. Only 8 games in and currently unbeaten which is a great start.

Firstly the league table.

2013-11-17_00001_zps19c3e5d9.jpg

I have been using a 3-1-4-2 formation 95% of the time with a few tweaks to different players to play to theirs and our strengths. Best performers in my opinion have been the two defensive wingers Stephen Hunt who came in as a free agent and Scott Wiseman who is still competent at MR so when he's accomplished I hope he becomes even better.

2013-11-17_00002_zps294c6161.jpg

Started off with some local easy friendly matches so my team could get used to my tactic and so I could raise morale. Seems to have worked so far which is another positive. Got Sunderland next which will be a challenge as they are in the top 8 of the Premier League. My defence has been brilliant in a lot of games but then a few I have had to rely on my attack to bail me out and they haven't let me down.

I brought in a lot of new players and currently have team training on team cohesion so hopefully we will get even better as the season goes on and maybe try and push for promotion.

If anyone wants to see anything else let me know.

My signings are :

2013-11-17_00004_zps67653542.jpg

I have released a lot of players as they would of never played or I don't think they're good enough and also I couldn't get any bids for them so I just got rid of their wages as it was cheaper in the long run. I had a good game last night against Leicester straight after the Sunderland game.

We went 2-0 down after about 15 minutes to an own goal and a corner and I thought it was going to be one of those who just crushed me so I just went for it even though we were about equal chances wise at 2-0. I took a DM out and a CAM in as they had a 4-4-2 so he would have a lot of space and I equalised before half time, two goals from O'Grady and I left it the same second half so we could score some more and then Perkins gave away a stupid penalty where there player didn't even go to ground and then I went all out attack and managed to equalise again through O'Grady 5 minutes from the end.

I say it was fun but we really should of won so when we didn't lose it didn't feel as bad.

Other people are miles better than me on this game. I'm about 2/3 spots out of the relegation area in and towards end of January.

Had a couple of months of good results in November and December but gone back to before in January.

That's not a bad start though, keep it up. Can only improve by playing more and more.

Archived