Wow, there's absolutely no way of purchasing FM14 in South Korea!!!

Guest dr12729

Guest dr12729

I've tried purchasing FM14 from just about ALL PC Game Stores available.

The message is always the same: "I'm sorry, not available in your region..."

At least, last year I was able to buy it from the US sega store.

What's up w/ FM14 this year??

So, in essence, are we forced to buy the Korean version, which comes out much later...??

What about English users in South Korea??

I can't believe I'm unable to buy something I'm willing to pay good money for in this day in age...God.

Guest dr12729
Due to legal reasons that region is region locked, so yes, only the Korean version I'm afraid.

Dear Neil, I understand it's Sega's decision, but I feel short-changed. I've bought the CD all the way from the game.co.uk website for the last 3-4 years, and I always thought this was BS because, after all, I'm a customer willing to buy a product. What legal reasons; could u tell me? I'm a real lawyer here.

Guest dr12729
I live in Seoul and am playing the beta now. It is possible to get it! (legally of course).

How? Could you please message or sth?

Guest dr12729
Not sure if I am allowed to say this, I am sure a mod will delete it if it is against the rules.

OP you can just change your IP address and buy it from Steam, that would solve your problem.

How do you arbitrarily change an IP addy??

I live in Seoul and am playing the beta now. It is possible to get it! (legally of course).

Although "legal reasons" is kind of vague, most likely it is not up to Sega or SI, they have no choice..

And the "korean" version, is that just a language difference? You know you can just ask for the English language files and that's it..

Dear Neil, I understand it's Sega's decision, but I feel short-changed. I've bought the CD all the way from the game.co.uk website for the last 3-4 years, and I always thought this was BS because, after all, I'm a customer willing to buy a product. What legal reasons; could u tell me? I'm a real lawyer here.

As a real lawyer you should know they are almost certainly not allowed to tell you why. It is the way it is.

Guest dr12729
As a real lawyer you should know they are almost certainly not allowed to tell you why. It is the way it is.

But I had to ask, right?

Guest dr12729

If things are "It is just the way it is..." Why do we have this forum at all or report bugs, for that matter. Why not just play the game "as it is."

Guest dr12729
Maybe if you have friends or familys in a country that can buy the game, maybe transfer funds to them and they can buy it and mail it to you?

You're right. Thanks. That's one way. I'm just trying to point out in this forum, this is BS.

You're right. Thanks. That's one way. I'm just trying to point out in this forum, this is BS.

i not sure if it will work for you but if you have a friend on steam you could both buy a game the other person(fm14 for you) wants install it then trade the games. if i remember rightly you right click on their names in your friends list then select 'invite to trade from dropdown menu

Guest dr12729
i not sure if it will work for you but if you have a friend on steam you could both buy a game the other person(fm14 for you) wants install it then trade the games. if i remember rightly you right click on their names in your friends list then select 'invite to trade from dropdown menu

Yes, you're right. Presumably, two "friends" could "gift" each other, I guess.

Yes, you're right. Presumably, two "friends" could "gift" each other, I guess.

This guy in Asian wont be able to give it because he already said he cant buy it as it is region logged. HOWEVER he could transfer funds in to someones bank account who has steam (someone he fully trusts) and that person could use those funds to buy the game and gift it to him. Much easier than my original idea.

Well Im not sure if Steam blocks the connection from a program called Tunnelbear, but there you can surf the net with an US IP address. I used to to gain access to Google Music.

Also, dont blame SI for S.Korea's laws. It's probably some regulations they set for games being released in S.Korea that the "normal" FM doesn't meet.

Guest dr12729
Well Im not sure if Steam blocks the connection from a program called Tunnelbear, but there you can surf the net with an US IP address. I used to to gain access to Google Music.

Also, dont blame SI for S.Korea's laws. It's probably some regulations they set for games being released in S.Korea that the "normal" FM doesn't meet.

I don't blame SI. I bring up this issue. Also, South Korean law is not the issue, buddy. Trust me. It's Sega Korea.

Guest dr12729

I've talked to Sega Korea and contacted Sega HQ about this issue since 2009 when FM started coming out as DVD and on Steam. All to no avail. I wanted to make this issue (at least) known in this forum, especially after spending an hour trying, in vain, to buy this wonderful game. I understand SI is not responsible. Thanks to all users for the replies and ideas to remedy my (personal) problem.

I once thought the restriction in Korea was due to K-League licensing, but then I learned about the Korean Governments restrictive game censorship policy. It's an expensive and lenghthy process to register a game for approval. It would probably mean waiting an extra 6-9 months before it could be released there, by which time most people will have imported it.

Anyway.... As long as you have the product Key, Steam will accept it when you click "add game." The problem is buying the game... Here's my history of buying it in Korea:

For FM2011, I bought it late and managed to get an imported boxed copy from Gmarket (a Korean online store).

For FM2012, I picked it up when I visited England.

For FM2013, I went through every online retailer and managed to fine ONE that didn't refund my cash. My first beta/launch day access :)

This year I left Korea and I am now living in the Netherlands. Buying (online) was tricky because my visa and paypal are still linked to Korean addresses. My Dutch debit card doesn't really work for international online transactions, and I really didn't want to pay 50 Euros in a store. But a LOT of online retailers block the sale if you use a Korean billing address, even if you are in another country. As soon as I tried my paypal or my card, it locked out the purchase.

Anyway... I managed to find a store that only uses an ip check so I could use my Korean paypal account to purchase the game... but it's not always as easy as just changing your ip ;)

Guest dr12729

Jesus... Thanks for sharing mike76! FYI, censorship in Korea has nothing to do w/ the game of FM in particular. Sega Korea admittedly asked for the restrictions (fearing piracy). I wish I could buy FM14 proper.

Jesus... Thanks for sharing mike76! FYI, censorship in Korea has nothing to do w/ the game of FM in particular. Sega Korea admittedly asked for the restrictions (fearing piracy). I wish I could buy FM14 proper.

Err. Coz making a game hard to buy prevents piracy? Good one Sega. Publishers often amaze me with their backwards thinking. Music industry and movie industry especially.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't believe I'm unable to buy something I'm willing to pay good money for in this day in age...God.

The sense of entitlement is over the roof with this one. There are legal reasons why it's not possible to purchase FM14 from Korea, deal with it and stop whining. There are plenty of things in the world you can't buy even if you offered good money, one of those things is common sense. Catch my drift, son?

Archived