[FM14] The Tetradecagon Challenge

It's back for another fourteen-sided round...

I put this challenge forward at the start of this year, but I think it was in the time where not many new challenges were being taken up, so hopefully there are a few more takers now FM14 is new. An explanation of the challenge is below, along with a few extra achievements you could go for.

The Tetradecagon

A Pentagon for Masochists

The Aims

Your mission is to become the greatest manager of all time. Not content with being the first manager in history to complete the five sides of the standard Football Manager Pentagon, you will also attempt to scale the mountain of International Football, taking your total number of competitions up to a round 14.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/World_Map_FIFA2.svg/800px-World_Map_FIFA2.svg.png

There is an International Competition associated with each federation in the above map. Also, making up the standard Pentagon, there are 5 continental Champions leagues, with Asia and Oceania competing in the same competition. There are also the final three Intercontinental competitions - the World Club Championships, the World Cup and the Confederations Cup.

The competition list is as follows...

Europe

UEFA European Championships - UEFA Champions League

Asia

AFC Nations Cup - Asian Champions League

South America

COMNEBOL Copa America - Copa Libertadores

North America

CONCACAF Gold Cup - North American Champions League

Africa

CAF Cup of Nations - African Champions League

Oceania

OFC Nations Cup

World

FIFA World Cup - FIFA Confederations Cup - FIFA World Club Championships

You have to win every one of those, by hook or by crook, before the challenge can be considered complete.

Rules

There are only a couple of rules for this challenge to start off with:

- Start off unemployed

- Start off with a Sunday League reputation

That is all. From there, you can proceed as you wish.

Achievements

Just having the thirteen tournaments to aim for may get a little dry on such a long challenge, so here's a few extra achievements you can tick off Steam-style. I've separated them into continental achievements for ease of reading. I've also recently added points totals beside them - if anyone wants to take on this challenge, they can mark themselves using these throughout their story, and then PM me the details. I'll hopefully keep a league table in a similar way to the British Steel Challenge.

Europe

Metropolitan Man - 100 pts - Win the ECL with a side based in one of the cities in the Metropolitan man challenge

The Village - 500 pts - Win the ECL with a side based somewhere with a population of less then 10,000

Known in all the Boroughs - 300 pts - Win the ECL with a side based somewhere with a population of less then 100,000

Where did that come from? - 250 pts - Win the ECL with a side that has never previously qualified

Best Newcomer - 350 pts - Win the ECL at the first time of asking

Braveheart - 300 pts - Win the ECL with a Scottish side

Africa

Remember the Titans - 250 pts - Win the African Nations Cup with a nation outwith the big names

Africa Calling - 300 pts - Win the African Champions League with a team born on the continent

Asia

Waltzing Matilda - 100 pts - Win the ACL with an Australian Team

Struth Sheila! - 500 pts - Win the ACL with an all Australian team

Ooh! Ah! Korea! - 200 pts - Win the ACL with an all South Korean team

Keeping it In-House - 150 pts - Win the ACL with only players who are Asian Nationals

Party Poopers - 400 pts - Win the Asian Nations Cup with Australia

Middle Eastern Promise - 300 pts - Win the Asian Nations Cup with any qualifying team from the Middle East

Oceania

Spirit of 2012 - 500 pts - Win the OFC Nations Cup with anyone other than New Zealand

Lucky there's no Australia - 100 pts - Win the OFC Nations Cup with New Zealand

South America

They Won't be Back - 400 pts - Win the Copa America as one of the invited guest sides

Maiden Copa - 300 pts - Win the Libertadores with a side who never has before

The Real America - 300 pts - Win the Libertadores with an exclusively South American team

Messi and Neymar? Who? - 250 pts - Win the Copa America with a side that isn't Brazil or Argentina

North America

Home of the Brave - 200 pts - Win the NACL with an American MLS side

Team America - 400 pts - Win the NACL with an American side and the Gold Cup with USA

Oh Canada - 250 pts - Win the NACL with a Canadian MLS side

**** hockey, guy - 600 pts - Win the NACL with a Canadian side and the Gold Cup with Canada

Land of Opportunity - 500 pts - Win the NACL with an all-American side with no foreigners

Cana-dare you - 1000 pts - Win the NACL with a Canadian-only side with no foreigners

Sombreros at Dawn - 100 pts - Win the NACL with a Mexican side

Easy Way Out - 150 pts - Win the NACL with a Mexican side and the Gold Cup with Mexico

World

Kurt Russel's Miracle - 1500 pts - Hold the four International Tournaments USA are eligible for at the same time (World Cup, Confed. Cup, Gold Cup, Copa America)

European Flair - 750 pts - Hold the three International Tournaments any European team are eligible for at the same time (World Cup, Confed. Cup, Euro Championships)

Doctor Who? - 500 pts - Win the World Cup with the original Champions Uruguay

National Hero - 500 pts - Win the World Cup with your home country

National Treasure - 600 pts - Win a continental and world double with your home country

Continental Legend - 500 pts - Hold both the national and continental championships at the same time

World Legend - 750 pts - Hold the world, national and continental championships at the same time

Assorted

Kilimanjaro - 1500 pts - Take a side from the bottom playable division in any African league to continental glory

Everest - 1500 pts - Take a side from the bottom playable division in any Asian league to continental glory

Elbrus - 1500 pts - Take a side from the bottom playable division in any European league to continental glory

McKinley - 1500 pts - Take a side from the bottom of the MLS to continental glory

Anconcagua - 1500 pts - Take a side from the bottom playable division in any South American league to continental glory

The Population Argument - 1500 pts - Win an international competition with a country with a population of below 5 million

Army Games - 1000 pts - Win an international competition with one or both of the World's most populated countries - China and/or India

A Wanted Man - 500 pts - Complete the challenge having never been sacked from any job

Clubs are too Easy - 1500 pts - Win the FIFA World Club Championship once on each continent

International Playboy - 2500 pts - Win all 7 international competitions by 2026

A Long Retirement - 2500 pts - Win all 13 competitions by 2030

Xenophobia - 5000 pts - Win all 6 club competitions without having ever signed a foreign player

History of the Challenge

Only one attempt that I know of, and that was mine. This multi-manager tale saw me complete the challenge by 2054, culminating with a brilliant Scotland World Cup win after I had won the Champions League with Juventus the previous year. There were stutters along the way, but I probably could have made things harder for myself, which I intend to do this time.

Current Attempts (and links)

forameuss (This isn't a career...this is a dynasty)

Competitions Won - 0/14

Achievements - 0

ProddingAHoneyBadger (Acing the Tetradecagon: The Master Achievement Hunter)

Competitions Won - 4/14

Achievements - 7

Ooh! Some added challenges on the side, very interesting.

I kept trying to do something like this on FM13 but never got past the first couple of CLs.

Even had a hexagon game going to do it on small club to big club rules, that stumbled after a couple of season in Tahiti.

May well line this up for my second challenge this season.

Question regarding the Continental / World Legend ones - Assuming they're club level challenges, so domestic title, continental title & then Club World Cup. Correct?

Ooh! Some added challenges on the side, very interesting.

I kept trying to do something like this on FM13 but never got past the first couple of CLs.

Even had a hexagon game going to do it on small club to big club rules, that stumbled after a couple of season in Tahiti.

May well line this up for my second challenge this season.

Question regarding the Continental / World Legend ones - Assuming they're club level challenges, so domestic title, continental title & then Club World Cup. Correct?

They are indeed. To be honest, they were added just for a bit of spice - I'm not sure I ever really looked at them again during my attempt, so they're completely optional. Gives you something to aim for though, and a chance to shape your attempt to be different to someone else's

Alexis Villar-Bosa - The new AVB

(My first challenge attempt)

Make-yourself-more-attractive-203x300.jpg

Leagues chosen on start-up

South Africa - South African Premier Soccer League, South African National First Division

China - Chinese Super League, Chinese National First Division

South Korea - K-League Classic, K-League Challenge

USA - MLS

Australia - A-League

I've only started with these teams, to take away the obvious temptation of starting off in Europe! (Something I do quite a lot). I've only ever managed in Asia once, and it went quite well. Until I reached the top division of that Nation, where it went a bit Pete Tong.

I'd really like to get a job in Australia as I've never managed there, but we'll see what comes at me.

Achievements, Stats, History and Goals.

Competitions

(0/14)

UEFA Champions League

UEFA European Championships

Asian Champions League

Asian Nations Cup

African Champions League

African Cup of Nations

CONCACAF Champions League

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Copa America

Copa Libertadores

Oceanic Nations Cup

FIFA World Club Championships

FIFA World Cup

FIFA Confederations Cup

Stats

History

2013: Chinese National First Division - 6th

Alexis Villar-Bosa - The new AVB

July 2013

wumcfo.jpg

34zzk04.jpg

j8fdid.png

There you go, you've just been introduced to the future of Football Management. I can now ring up clubs and tell them that AVB want's a job :DOh there surprise when I turn up. Like many other people when starting in Asia, China seems to be the starting block. Easiest place to get a job is probably in the 2nd tier of Chinese football. So obviously, it turns out that I was offered a contract by a Chinese club. Predictable.

znaiq0.png

Chongqing Lifan

July 2013

150px-ChongqingLifan.png

13928.jpg

Lovely looking stadium, holds 22k. Will bring me in a lot of Chinese Yuan if I can pack it out.

So, I've ended up in lovely Chongquing which is in Southwest China. Geography lesson over, let's get to it.

208a2wi.png

2ed2phw.png

An extreme amount of rebuilding is needed to be done, but with 458k to spend I think we could be serious contenders next season. I say next season because we're currently lying in 9th place. Although we are only 6 points behind 2nd placed Henan. So anything is possible.

I'll introduce you to some very, very good players. Who will guide me up the table - hopefully.

Augusto Fraga

Star Striker

Yves Ekwala

Cracking center mid/defensive mid. I might deploy him at CB though.

Gualberto Mojica

Just look at those stats, ready made deep lying playmaker.

Onwards!

What countries and leagues do you recommend I should load?

China, South Korea and Australia are the only Asian countries in FM that can qualify for the Champions League I think, so I would recommend them for Asia. Then obviously for North America, Mexico would be the "easiest", along with Brazil and Argentina for South America. There's no recommended way to go through it though - personally I'd use some unusual leagues with more interesting systems or less glamorous clubs. It makes for a more satisfying attempt, even if you end up sacking it and going to a bigger club eventually :p

I'm guessing there's no rules against created leagues?

No, not really. I did kind of want to wait to add Oceania to the list to get the six Champions Leagues, but I'm still a bit wary of edited leagues after having some problems before. But as long as it's not giving you a hugely unfair advantage, then no problems with using custom leagues. It would certainly make Africa and Asia a bit more exciting.

No, not really. I did kind of want to wait to add Oceania to the list to get the six Champions Leagues, but I'm still a bit wary of edited leagues after having some problems before. But as long as it's not giving you a hugely unfair advantage, then no problems with using custom leagues. It would certainly make Africa and Asia a bit more exciting.

I just want to add Japan, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Mongolia, Algeria and a few other Asian and African leagues along with New Zealand. My intention is to play a long career save with no real aims, if I end up winning a few of these competitions I'll start posting in here :)

Chongqing Lifan

October 2013

150px-ChongqingLifan.png

I was very pleasantly surprised at how the players took to me and my tactics. I had a baptism of fire though in the FA Cup 1/4's against a top division side. Other than that as you'll be able to see by the results went okay. What I was disappointed about though, was the dropping of points against teams who were in the relegation zone at the time I played them. We lost focus against these sides and I just couldn't seem to get them to regain focus against these smaller teams. It was an unbelievably nerve wrecking last 2 games though. Before the 2 fixtures I was 5th and could finish the season with promotion in 2nd place, or 9th. Unfortunately though it wasn't to be. Chongquing Lifan are to spend another season in the bottom tier.

dnddzc.png

1z1d9w0.png

Think I'll be attempting this as well but like Acidburn I'll be waiting for some custom leagues, especially for Africa. Already did a stint in South Africa in FM13 and a change of scenery would be nice.

Africa is the one continent that lets this attempt down IMO. Given we only have one league, it's probably the leg I look forward to least, as you're pretty much going to be managing one of 20 or so clubs (unless you go right down the leagues). Obviously too late for this save (and probably for FM14 in general if my save turns out as planned), but I would be very interested in a good quality set of African/Middle East leagues. The ones I tried were pretty poor.

Africa is the one continent that lets this attempt down IMO. Given we only have one league, it's probably the leg I look forward to least, as you're pretty much going to be managing one of 20 or so clubs (unless you go right down the leagues). Obviously too late for this save (and probably for FM14 in general if my save turns out as planned), but I would be very interested in a good quality set of African/Middle East leagues. The ones I tried were pretty poor.

With you on this, the lack of choice in Africa is what is holding me back from kicking my current save in Peru into a crack at this once I've finished my own challenge. Will have to see how many seasons it takes me first though.

I'm going to load up a game and try this now. I doubt I'll put too much into my posts - I'll just give you some brief information as I'm going on.

Leagues I've got open are England (Skrill N/S), Australia, China (First Division), Mexico (Promotion League), South Africa (National First Division), USA, Uruguay (Second Division). English divisions are currently View-Only. The database is large and the Approximate Player Count at 38,000. Unemployed and Sunday League reputation as required.

I don't really mind where I start, but I want to get to Africa as soon as possible because I can't bear that one division. I'll edit in once I've found a club who want me.

Edit: After applying for 6 jobs and attending three interviews, I was left with two job offers. I didn't fancy Challenge Division in South Korea so opted for Stockport in Skrill Conference North. I feel they should get promoted immediately and their team seems to fit the style I want to play. I'm looking to use this as early experience before moving on to greater and better opportunities elsewhere.

I'm going to load up a game and try this now. I doubt I'll put too much into my posts - I'll just give you some brief information as I'm going on.

Leagues I've got open are England (Skrill N/S), Australia, China (First Division), Mexico (Promotion League), South Africa (National First Division), USA, Uruguay (Second Division). English divisions are currently View-Only. The database is large and the Approximate Player Count at 38,000. Unemployed and Sunday League reputation as required.

I don't really mind where I start, but I want to get to Africa as soon as possible because I can't bear that one division. I'll edit in once I've found a club who want me.

Edit: After applying for 6 jobs and attending three interviews, I was left with two job offers. I didn't fancy Challenge Division in South Korea so opted for Stockport in Skrill Conference North. I feel they should get promoted immediately and their team seems to fit the style I want to play. I'm looking to use this as early experience before moving on to greater and better opportunities elsewhere.

Good luck :thup:

Stockport have a place in my heart, and indeed my wardrobe after I bought last season's home top following a successful FM12 save. And it's certainly unusual to start in Europe - do you plan on building Stockport up to the Champions League or is this just a stepping stone?

Merely a stepping stone. I did consider restarting because I didn't want to play them again. I'm almost certain they've been lacking a manager in previous iterations.

However, being my first game on FM14 Beta, I've immediately suffered tactically. I put together a few tactics and tested them during pre-season but nothing seemed to bring me a solid approach. A 1-1 draw to Conference Premier team Macclesfield Town could not hide how bad we were playing and it was further compounded by an embarrassing 3-2 loss to Stockport Sports. I made minor adjustments and persisted, picking up a win against Boston United. The next four games went by very quickly to end August and I only picked up one point - a 1-1 draw with Colwyn Bay.

I've sought some help from the Tactics area from this forum and I'm currently rocking the 3-6-1 Gyro. While it provides me a much better grip on the game in terms of possession and domination, I'm still have the same defensive issues with crosses from out wide causing even more havoc than before. I just lost 2-1 at home to Gainsborough. But maybe after a team meeting and a bit of morale boosting session, we can better fit into this tactic and make it work.

Hey guys, looking forward to starting this challenge once the full version is out. One question about the leagues loaded at the start:

Given that we can now add leagues as we go it seems unnecessary to clogg up the database by running every single league you may look to manage in. However, from past experience, I've found that if a league is not loaded, any players that are not in the database at the start and are only added once the league is added do not actually have their appearances and goals added to their history. In other words, any newgens as well as existing players who were not initially loaded will basically not have made a single appearance by the time you add the league and it makes things a little less realistic.

There may be other issues regarding youth intakes ( less players seem to be produced by inactive leagues) etc.

Now, I could be wrong about the above but my brief testing with previous FMs has lead me to those conclusions.

Basically, my question is for people looking to play journeyman saves like this, what do you find the best approach regarding active leagues is? Do you load them all at the start, load all players from those leagues at the start, or simply add and remove as needed? Do you feel that simply adding a league after 10 or 15 seasons of being inactive still makes it an enjoyable and realistic experiance to manage there?

Thanks for any comments and good luck to all!

Hey guys, looking forward to starting this challenge once the full version is out. One question about the leagues loaded at the start:

Given that we can now add leagues as we go it seems unnecessary to clogg up the database by running every single league you may look to manage in. However, from past experience, I've found that if a league is not loaded, any players that are not in the database at the start and are only added once the league is added do not actually have their appearances and goals added to their history. In other words, any newgens as well as existing players who were not initially loaded will basically not have made a single appearance by the time you add the league and it makes things a little less realistic.

There may be other issues regarding youth intakes ( less players seem to be produced by inactive leagues) etc.

Now, I could be wrong about the above but my brief testing with previous FMs has lead me to those conclusions.

Basically, my question is for people looking to play journeyman saves like this, what do you find the best approach regarding active leagues is? Do you load them all at the start, load all players from those leagues at the start, or simply add and remove as needed? Do you feel that simply adding a league after 10 or 15 seasons of being inactive still makes it an enjoyable and realistic experiance to manage there?

Thanks for any comments and good luck to all!

If you truly want realism, then load everything you need from the start. I could do that with my laptop, but it would make the game slower than I'd be prepared to accept, as I played a lot in FM13 with one nation (zooooooooooom!). I don't usually notice much about players not being there, but I think what you're saying is right. It's just how much that bothers you. I never find it too bad for some of the continents - say you don't load Asia or Africa and do that later, then you're not really losing much for other attempts because barring a few standouts, you're not really going to be coming into contact with these players much. They'll probably be of lower quality than what you have (for Europe/South America) or unobtainable (North America/Asia/Africa). You will lose history though.

It's all down to personal preference really. I've started off loading the below...

iOTOSg7.png

So most of Asia, all of Africa, and the league I'll be playing in for North America. I plan on making my European leg Scottish, so that's in there, but I'll be added more European and certainly South American leagues when the time comes.

I chose the countries I did to give me a nice diverse selection - if I succeed in any way and, for example, get down to just Europe needed... I'll probably open up a dozen nations in Europe. My PC is new and pretty hefty in what it can handle (especially compared to my laptop which I ran FM on previously) so I don't mind what I open. I did take England off view-only and got 4.5 stars for game speed, I think.

September has been more settled with results - the tactic I adopted from this forum is much better. I need to learn about the ins-and-outs of the tactic system a little better before I can devise a tactic of my own. I hate using other people's tactics because I feel like I'm not putting any effort in. I lost 2-1 to Gainsborough before a disappointing 0-0 to Leamington. But 1-0 victories against Vauxhall and Stalybridge has boosted morale. Three consecutive clean sheets too!

I applied for the Tuvalu job... but they knocked me back. Then they sent out a news report laughing off any interest. How disappointing!

Cheers for the replies guys.

If you have a nation on view only, can you change it to playable at some point? I seem to remember you couldn't do this with FM13....but maybe I'm wrong :/

Cheers for the replies guys.

If you have a nation on view only, can you change it to playable at some point? I seem to remember you couldn't do this with FM13....but maybe I'm wrong :/

Unless I'm mistaken, you can turn it off view-only to playable... but you won't be able to access it until next season reset points (like when adding a new nation/league). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey forameuss, just to let you know I've started this great challenge but will be positng in my career thread here:

[FM14] It's not you it's me.I just can't do club monogamy anymore!

Will add it to the opening post, and will keep an eye on it in the FMCU - good luck!

Hi. I'm thinking about doing this. Just one question though. Is it ok to use updates adding new leagues in the game (such as Qatar, Bolivia, Iran, New Zealand and others) ?

Go for it! I'd encourage it to be honest, gives a bit more variety to attempts with different clubs and nations. As long as you're alright with the constant threat of crash dumps (I'm still not too trusting of those new fangled edited leagues :p ) and you're not gaining an advantage by it (which you're not) then it's all good!

jomo+badge.gif

JOMO COSMOS - 2013/14 MID SEASON UPDATE

Never bothered putting in a pre-season one as quite frankly, we were awful. I got the feeling this game was cursed, we were awful in the friendlies and on the opening day lost 5-3 at home. However, that was with a 3-5-2, and after that I reverted to a traditional 4-4-2. The effect has been profound. Since that game, we're unbeaten at home, dropping only 2 points, and our away record is almost as good.

Our fixtures then, read like this:

l0pfu1w.jpg

The most frustrating thing about it? Despite what has clearly been an excellent run of form, we're STILL not top of the league!

l0pfu1w.jpg

Black Leopards are one point ahead of me. If that kind of form isn't championship winning, I'll eat my own head. We even beat them at their own ground.

Star performers so far this season:

Isaac Mabotsa: Signed on a free in the summer to desperately try and provide some quality in my central defence, he has been a revelation. Average rating of 7.20, and ever present in the league campaign so far this season despite being a tender 33 years of age. Hopefully won't have to be replaced next season as he doesn't seem to have declined too badly.

Menzi Diamini: Handed in a transfer request on deadline day, and I thought for sure he would leave as he has the potential to play in the top tier. However, a few weeks later, he withdrew the request and I am thankful for it. Our star right winger, he has six assists and two goals to his name this season which justify his 7.41 average rating.

Madoda Motha: For a striker whos finishing attribute is 10, 13 goals from 14 games isnt a bad return eh? He's formidable right now, and despite being a mere 5'7, is a big presence in the box. Average rating of 7.78

With that in mind, in the second half of the season, we must push for the top spot. All that's left to say is...

MON THE EZENKOSI

Chongqing Lifan - Chinese National First Division 2013 (Part 1)

I started my career in February 2013 looking for a job in either South Africa, Australia, South Korea or China. After a few months of no interest and not a lot else Chongqing Lifan decided to part company with their Manager.

They had started the season as second favourites for the title but just past the half way mark in the season they had been knocked out of the cup and languished in the bottom half of the table. A win in the previous managers last game raised the club into 11th but they had been in the bottom 3 just a week before and thats what cost him his job. As you can see below his results were awful, the league record was P16 W4 D6 L6. Not good enough, although 3 of their 4 wins came in their last 6 games.

2wftmvn.jpg

I applied for the job fearing nobody wanted me and after assuring them i could lead them to the mid table finish they wanted i was hired.

a1390x.png

They had a couple of star players in on loan Star Striker Augusto Fraga and Centre Half Yves Ekwala but not much else.

I immediately dived into the transfer market and agreed to sign 5 players on free transfers including Luis Boa Morte and Jari Litmanen. Little did i realise the transfer window was firmly shut and they wouldnt join me until next season. D'oh. Not the best start to my managerial career. Improve the team with 5 over 30's and then agree for them to join 7 months later when they are even more run down and over the hill. So much for experience getting us out of this mess.

So without any reinforcements and a small squad this wasnt going to be easy.

Chongqing Lifan - Chinese National First Division 2013 (Part 2)

July 2013 Results

My first game in charge was away to 3rd place Baxy and we dominated from start to finish. We were 3-0 after an hour with captain Wu Peng netting twice and despite Baxy pulling one back we managed to put the icing on the cake with a stoppage time 4th. The new manager effect in full flow. Unbelievable Jeff.

Things werent as easy in my first home game as we fell behind in the 2nd minute. Still we managed to equalise early in the second half but despite a late onslaught we couldnt find a winner. 4 points from my first 2 games was more than i could have hoped for.

5ff9ro.png

August 2013 Results

Things went from good to great in August. We opened with a 7-3 win, a record for goals in a game. We went 5-0 up, switched off and conceded 3 before scoring 2 late goals to flatter us. 17 goals in our first 3 games, nobody could argue about value for money.

We won another away game before crashing back down to earth with a bang, Shenzhen, who would go on to finish second, battering us on their way to a 2-0 win. Thankfully a couple of back to back home wins followed and left our record under my management as an impressive P7 W5 D1 L1. Still we were shipping far too many goals for my liking, 12 conceded in 7 games.

2v8iy2w.png

September 2013 Results

September saw us play the eventual league champions Henan and eventual bottom side Beijing IT. We beat Henan 2-1 with all the goals coming in a mad 3 minute spell. We netted a penalty in the 49th minute to have them score straight from the kick off in the 50th and us repeat the favour scoring straight from the kick off in the 51st through captain Wu Pengs wonder goal. He picked the ball up on the left wing around the half way line, beat 2 players before firing into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Beijing IT claimed a point from a even game as they fought for their lives, one of only three points they collected in their final 15 games of the season. Sandwiched in between were high scoring games, a 5-4 win and a 3-3 draw. We were finding the net fantastically well but couldnt keep from conceding at well. I guess this is how David O'Leary felt when he was in charge of Leeds. Well if we cant keep a clean sheet we might as well go out to score one more than them.

t7oqdl.png

October 2013 Results

With us safely guaranteed that mid table finish i promised the board it was just a case of how high could we finish. Promotion wasn't a possibility but pride was at stake. We opened the month with a third successive draw, our worst patch of form since i took over nearly 4 months earlier but we would get back on track with back to back wins.

Our most impressive result in my opinion of both October and my spell at the helm so far was the 4-1 away win in the Chongqing derby. We were 4-0 up at half time but unfortunately couldnt add to that. Chongqing FC would go on to avoid relegation by 2 points, leaving us with some more derby days to come next season.

1zvacgn.png

Final Table - Chinese National First Division 2013

A creditable 6th place finish, only 11 points behind the champions. Impressive stuff in my opinion and well placed for next season. My record in charge an impressive P14 W9 D4 L1. Thats 31 points and if we had taken that form over a whole season we would be champions. Lets hope it follows into next season, a few improvements on the squad and we will be laughing. Hopefully.

15fhzbb.png

Player Stats

My own opinion on Player of the Season 2013 can be no other than Augusto Fraga. 20 goals and 10 assists from 30 games is amazing by anyones standards. He has 14 goals from his last 14 games. Impressive.

34smcl1.png

Board Confidence & Finances

The board seemed very pleased with my performance so far but a bit of a worry is the £350,000 paid out to the squad for their 6th place finish. It meant we lost over £1,000,000 during the year and end up in the red. Not good, who pays out so much for such a poor season? We were second favourites for the title.

I have high hopes for next season.

2iqbxhu.jpg

Career so Far

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| CAREER HISTORY |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Season | Team | Country | Continent | League | Finish | Cups | Continental | Notes |P |W |D |L |F |A |
| 2013 | Chongqing Lifan | China | Asia | National First Division | 6th | --- | --- | --- |14 |9 |4 |1 |39 |24 |

Shanghai Shenhua - Chinese National First Division 2014 (Part 1)

Following a good start to my managerial career in china i was looking forward to a good second season with Chongqing Lifan. I'd dipped my toes in the water and had no fewer than 10 new signings lines up, all on a free and all better than what we currently had. Then an email came my way to say Shanghai Shenhua we parting company with their manager on the back of their relegation from the Chinese Super League. I couldnt resist a cheeky application, surely there was no chance for a man just 14 games into a career but then again would there be many people looking to manage in the Chinese National First Division? I applied and looked forward to hearing back.

16hu5h2.png

Shanghai came back to me and offered me an interview, they were keen not to rule anyone out without speaking to them first. i accepted the interview but Chongqing Lifan asked me not to go. They confirmed i could have £47k to spend and a £25k a week wage budget if i stayed which was breaking the bank and a whole £3k above the current structure but unfortunately i felt i had to take the interview and turned down Chongqing Lifans invite for talks.

I sat down in the interview and told them how grateful i was to be given this opportunity. We discussed transfer budgets and wage budgets which were mooted as £250k and £55k, dreamland i must say but i stressed the fact that was way too much and i could achieve big things on much less than that. I also stressed the need to employ a philosophy of attacking football at the club. For me giving the fans value for money is a must. I thought things went well and i was told they would announce something in the coming week.

To my surprise they decided my penny pinching approach to an interview was what they needed and they offered me the job, paying Chongqing Lifan £50,000 compensation for my services and signing me to a 1 year contract at £550 a week. The money still wasnt great but i'd continue doing something i loved.

sayxch.png

Shanghai Shenhua have a rich history, a very young clubs in terms of their formation(Not including them being Shanghai F.C) but they have a few big trophies in the cabinet and past legends, football legends if not club legends, to have played for the club include Anelka and Drogba. Shenhua also boast a 33,000 capacity stadium.

2pqtgeg.png

The Clubs star player is Giovanni Moreno, a full international for Columbia who can play in midfield or upfront. I'm scared to see how good this man is. My first act at the club was to extend his contract as it runs out in 6 months. He is on £10.5k a week and asked for £67k a week, i couldnt agree to that even if the club would. Thankfully i noticed after i turned down that offer than he had a clause in his contract that allowed me to give him a 2 year extension on the same money so i activated that and put my mind at rest that my best player would still be here come the second half of the season.

prcpl.png

The transfer window opened and i looked forward to bringing in new players with the wage budget here, even though £42k of the available £49k was taken. I would still be able to improve the squad. Then i was called to board meeting to discuss the budgets, were they going to cut the budget on the back of me saying i could do more for less? No. Turns out they want to go straight back up and will spare no expense to get there.

izrsw8.png

Wow, looks like some shopping to buy a league winning side is on the books.

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck everyone taking this challenge on! I'm now giving it a go as well. I'm actually going to simulate the first couple of months in-game unless this is frowned upon. I actually started a Pentagon challenge a few weeks ago but lost motivation for it, so I don't really fancy having to choose from the same unemployed teams again.

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

This is my kind of a challenge! Sure beats the games in built ones, fun as they are! With my new mac I've loaded:

South Africa

Australia

China

India

South Korea

Belgium

England

France

Germany

Greece

Holland

Italy

Portugal

Russia

Scotland

Spain

Turkey

Mexico

USA

Argentina

Brazil

All playable and a Large database :D Should give me a few options!

Started Unemployed and Sunday League - Let's see how I do!

And so after a few months of unemployment I am taken on by the mighty Hayes and Yeading. Boom.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not a smooth campaign start.

After finishing 9th with Hayes and Yeading and surpassing all the goals set for me I resigned as manager due to the massive debts the club had, leaving me with no budget for players currently at the club, let alone to buy more in. "Come and get me!" I cried to the other clubs of the world. But thus began my season in the wilderness, no offers until March 10 months after I resigned. After desperately applying for any job I finally got an off from the mighty SJ Ver. A club languishing in the relegation phase of the Portuguese National Division.

I survived the relegation phase after a club purge and next season brought them into the promotion stage with a fresh squad losing only 1 game in 18. Now I'm in the promotion stage getting my ass handed to me by most clubs. Still, the challenge is so much more fun than any I've tried before. What with the thoughts of Worldwide glory ahead of me, my time in the 3rd tier of Portuguese football will be looked upon as my humble origins.

:cool:

• 1 month later...

I am the great winner of the tetradecagon challenge i believe :D

Competitions won:

In 47 years, I won include:

- NATIONS: Oceania Cup, African Cup, Gold Cup, Asian Cup, Copa America, Euro, 2 Confederations Cup, 2 World Cup, Olympic Games

- CLUBS:

- 6 Champions Leagues of 6 Continents (17 in all including 8 times European Champions League with 6 different clubs in 5 countries)

- African Confederation Cup, Copa Sudamericana, Europa League

- 35 championships in 14 countries

- The 7 largest European Championships (England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Netherlands) and most of the cups that go with ...

1375904539069200600.jpg

View large image

Hall of fame:

1375904497063444500.jpg

View large image

And as Sir Alex Ferguson, I retire at age 71 :D

Profile:

1375904159024651700.jpg

View large image

1375904337077754700.jpg

View large image

History:

1375904396095572700.jpg

View large image

I am the great winner of the tetradecagon challenge i believe :D

Competitions won:

In 47 years, I won include:

- NATIONS: Oceania Cup, African Cup, Gold Cup, Asian Cup, Copa America, Euro, 2 Confederations Cup, 2 World Cup, Olympic Games

- CLUBS:

- 6 Champions Leagues of 6 Continents (17 in all including 8 times European Champions League with 6 different clubs in 5 countries)

- African Confederation Cup, Copa Sudamericana, Europa League

- 35 championships in 14 countries

- The 7 largest European Championships (England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Netherlands) and most of the cups that go with ...

1375904539069200600.jpg

View large image

Hall of fame:

1375904497063444500.jpg

View large image

Congratulations :)

A fantastic effort, and good to see it done with the additions of all the extra leagues to give a bit more flavour.

its a good challenge this, im in the chinese super league at the moment won that a few times but left jiangsu as they decided to stop giving me any money left them for a year and took over guangzhou go a giant budget just a shame theres not to many good chinese players

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 15 seasons in this challenge. Started at Venezuelian side Loteria Del Tachira, stayed there 4 years then wen to Once Caldas where I won few leagues and cups, 2 Copa Sudamericana and ultimately, the Copa Libertadores.

From there I went to Africa to coach Tunisian side Club Africain. 3 years there to win the African Champion's League and reach the final of the Club World Cup (lost against Bayern).

I am now in Iranian side Gostaresh Foolad. Started in 2nd division. It is my 4th season and I will soon play my very first Asian Champion's League.

With nations I stayed 6 years in Morocco. Reaching twice the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nation before winning it. I'm am now the coach of Spanish national team.

This kind of game is just awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that I've only just recently joined these forums, I've been a longtime player of the series but only ever shared anything on a fansite before.

I had been working within LLM principles for FM 14, but I was just looking around at other ways to play (no, I haven't broken up my LLM stuff yet, no tactics or player searching!) and I discovered this challenge.

I have written dynasty reports for several games in the past, but never could really get a good angle to approach a story from in FM other than the tired "American nobody wants to manage in England/Spain/etc" story... well, now I've found one. :) I intend on taking this challenge head-on and reporting my exploits on it, and I thank you very much for the inspiration -- and for throwing down the gauntlet, so to speak! :)

I've felt restricted in my writing on the LLM game, and I just feels this gives me more freedom to write. I will be playing with LLM guidelines against player/staff search as well, and I will not be using any tactic or advice that is not my own work -- so this might be so difficult that I get nowhere, and that's just fine too. :)

I'm toying with my league setup now as I have a 5-star performance rig, so I can run a lot of leagues. I'm NOT so much interested with managing anyplace obscure, and against much of the grain here, I *expect* to start in Europe, or at least I hope. The one thing that is concerning is the "view-only" leagues... I've heard quite a few opinions saying that it is better to just leave a league off if I'm not actively managing it, instead of view-only. I would leave that to someone with far more expertise, but I have definitely heard multiple opinions along those lines in my travels.

I guess since I have a really good idea where I want to manage on every step, I could just plot out an "expected" course and load the leagues I would actually want to manage in. Regardless, I am accepting this challenge and will begin posting very soon!

(And no, I'm not the new guy you will never see again! Hi from the US of A!) :)

EDIT: Also not concerned that the next game will be out sooner rather than later, as I find this version amazing and could see myself playing it for years and just purchasing the new to support the devs!

• 2 weeks later...

Half way through my first season on this, thought I would give a little update!

Inherited a talented but aging, highly paid squad at Suez Cement, playing in Egyptian D2 Cairo. As you can see, standard of the league is not great but it's pretty tight at the top between us, Tersana, and Telecom Egypt.

Have played some good stuff and my target man Ekramy Abdel Aziz has 19 goals already at the half way point. Into the third round of cup but will certainly face a stern test away to Ismaily who are 2nd in their Premier League group. Priority has to be winning promotion and hopefully freeing up some wages in the summer in order to strengthen, as I have a tiny squad. Could be a while before I can challenge the dominance of Al-Ahly in Egypt but has been fun so far!

Annoying bug that you will notice from the league table is that teams level on points are being sorted not on goal difference but alphabetical order - doesn't affect premier league which means I'll stick at this save game assuming I can get there, and I will come out on top against Tersana as I ought to anyway, but would be nice to know if it's fixable if anybody knows?

fixtures_zps213b8841.png

leaguetable_zps348f9834.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, guys. I just started this challenge, with the added objective of winning the Oceanian Champions League. So far, so good. I thought I'd share my progress so far.

2013/14 Review

I already completed Part One of the Challenge by winning the O-League in the first season with AS Dragon, a "top" club from Tahiti.

I also won the Tahitian league but that doesn't seem to show up on my achievements screen unfortunately.

Group Stage

jyQjVxa.png

Very lucky to get a draw against Auckland City here, because it allowed me to finish in top spot.

Semi-Final

cWyDscR.png

We were certainly the better team over two legs.

Final

tmZeP0Y.png

Again, I'm amazed that we were able to hold a team from New Zealand to a draw

Hall of Fame

lwNkXDL.png

With the O-League in the bag, I have moved on to Africa after deciding that now is not the right time for international management.

2014/15 Season Preview

Loading the custom leagues brought up jobs in Egypt, Algeria and Ghana - and I have settled on a job at Arsenal (from Ghana, don't worry :D)

I will update when I have completed the season.

What do you think so far?

Archived