Things about FM2014 that pleasantly surprised you

V50

Positive thinking :)

So yea I was happy to just sit around until the Charlton manager got sacked and then take them over, but low-and-behold I was invited to attend an interview at Stockport. So yes I'm happy to go, why not eh, if they're gonna take an interest. They're impressed and hire me the next day :). I think I underestimated how the smaller things can give a game character - here being invited to an interview made it seem a little more human, rather than just applying randomly and getting a contract maybe.

Anyone else have stories to share?

Does anyone know if the changes of clubs aspect has been improved.

My complete and utter bug bare (and to be fair only complaint with the last few fm's) has been how for example you could take a tiny club with no history on 2 consecutive promotions and a cup win and then the minute you apply for a much bigger club the board go "apologies or resign". Seems to unrealistic. I mean if I was applying for a rival or a club in same league or id not really achieved much I could understand it. But for FM12 & 13 I get so fed up having that thrown in my face just for thinking of applying for another club. Its always gets made public to. I mean im sure plenty of managers in jobs have thought about applying for another job at a higher placed club without the board making that threat?

Hopefully thats all been tweaked slightly or the board come to you and talk through your reasons etc....In real life the media talk is crazy when it comes to who the next manager ranging from the complete lies to the likely candidate.

Playing with Juventus and I negotiated the 'Develop players through the youth system' philosophy into my contract. When I applied to have junior coaching and youth recruitment improved, they agreed because "it supports the agreed upon philosophy of developing youth".

Good to see the board maybe uses a bit more logic

If you use the 'player ratings' widget, you'll notice that when you make a substitution the new player takes the place of his substituted counterpart on the list, so rather than scrolling down the list to see his rating, it's already been auto-sorted. A simple and cosmetic change maybe, but I like it!

So much. I was one of the ones saying that the whole "1000 new features" thing in reality was going to mean a series of minor, unnoticeable changes that was essentially going to mean this years game would be FM13.2. How wrong I was!

They've quite clearly gone to great lengths this year to simplify things that used to be really fiddly in so many aspects of the game. The look is cleaner, sharper, bigger (great for me as I play on a TV on the other side of the room), the 3D match experience has IMO seen its biggest improvement since its creation. The system that's replaced the sliders is brilliant in a number of ways. Not only is it simpler and less fiddly, but the way it's done is also more true to how real life works.

Just massively impressed all round. And I didn't think I would be. OK, i'm only a few days in, but i've honestly not found anything to put in the "con's" column at all as yet. Fantastic job, guys.

If you use the 'player ratings' widget, you'll notice that when you make a substitution the new player takes the place of his substituted counterpart on the list, so rather than scrolling down the list to see his rating, it's already been auto-sorted. A simple and cosmetic change maybe, but I like it!

You were able to change that on FM13. I think it just defaults to the other setting this year.

It's a little thing again, but I like the way when negotiating a transfer with add ons and monthly instalments, it shows what affect it will have to your transfer budget

Yes, this! It was my own fault but in 2013 I had so many ill-thought out wage increase clauses which I never did the maths on. It would often not until be years later that I realised I was paying someone twice what I could budget for.

I also like that agent fees now come directly out of your transfer budget, I think that's going to add an awful lot to the negotiation process. It'll certainly make thrashing out a deal with players who have greedy and difficult agents more interesting

The implementation of Financial Fair Play

yes,but i would like it to be possible to tell your board to take care about that..like they warn you what to do or not to do when you go and spend. Like "it is not advisable to spend this much money because...."

One of the best parts of the new tactical system is that I can set my two right backs to play different roles once and then forget about it. Anytime I put them in at right back, they will each play in the style I need them to.

Simply fantastic.

Yep, Ivanovic to FB-S with "dribble less", Azpi to WB-A. This feature is so amazing

How do you do it?

I set the DR spot in my tactic to FB-S. Then go to player instructions and click the position. In the bottom left there is a button "add player". Choose Ivanovic from the list, then give him the instruction "dribble less". Choose Azpi from the list, change the role on that screen.

When you put those players into the tactic the roles will automatically update. Hope that helps.

I know it had been announced as a feature, but I'd forgotten about it until playing last night- the scouting world map. Also pleased to see the club I'd planned to play (Lyon) isn't as bad as I'd feared. No money for transfers, but a decent squad.

I love the new tactics. No more slider, but just individual instructions. Brilliant!

Also, I noticed there are a lot more different "looks" to the players in the 3d match: short/long sleeves, shirt tucked in/out, different coloured footwear, wristbands,... nice little touch if you ask me. Would long hair be the next improvement?

Well, aside from the obvious things like the match engine (which is growing on me) and the new tactics interface (which I absolutely love), I'd say that my favorite "little" things are the improve contract offer screen and the integrated transfer status/interest screen.

In point of fact, one of the ways I think that FM14 has improved the most is in integrating information from various areas of the interface so that a fairly wide variety of actions now require less clicking back and forth to get a good idea of the implications of those actions. There are still some ways to improve this, but I can already tell I'm going to be doing a lot less excessive clicking around to check stuff - there's more information where I need it, when I need it.

How do you do it?

Just hold your mouse right at the top of the screen, it will then display the program bar (the little apple icon, preferences etc) and on the far right there's a little tile that lets you window and quickly revert to full screen if you press again.

the loan report screen. I can finally keep up with my loan players without clicking on each one, or having different scouts for different players

And the opportunity to talk to your loan player about how they are doing!

Just hold your mouse right at the top of the screen, it will then display the program bar (the little apple icon, preferences etc) and on the far right there's a little tile that lets you window and quickly revert to full screen if you press again.

Oh ok. I now use the three finger swipe left back to the desktop and other apps, and then swipe right to go back to FM14 full screen!

My favourite new add on will be the zoom in zoom out text display making FM14 fully retina display! Once it is working properly that is.

Archived