Which team will you be on FM2009?

I know that it is early to be asking this sort of thing, but do are you always the same team on every FM that you get? Derpending on teams fortunes in real life? Obviously I always have a Sunderland save on whatever game I have because I support them but on FM2007 I was Juventus quite abit because I thought that it would be a good challenge getting them up from Serie B and then trying to ein trophies with them. but on FM2008 with Leeds relegation to League 1 I thought that I would be them for a bit of a challenge.

On FM2009 I can't wait to be Sunderland because of the players that they are currently signing and the finances that I will get, it seems like a completely different proposition to the Sunderland I started with on FM2008. But which team are you looking forward to being on FM2009? Spurs with Modric etc... Hull trying to keep them up?

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My FM games always follow a similar path. My first game will be with a top 4 EPL team, usually Man Utd, which gives me a chance to get used to the changes in the new game and the changes needed to be successful tactically. I then usually dive straight into Dafuges Challenge with Gateshead (as I live in Gateshead) and this game will last me months. Only when I've won the Prem and Champions league a couple of times will I stop playing this game.

After season on season of struggling with Gateshead, and after spending the last weeks playing a game that only contains regens I'll feel the need to be a big club again for some quick success with some top players that are around in real life. After that I'll finally start a game with my beloved Sunderland and any one of those games will keep me going until the next FM is released.

I keep meaning to start a game unemployed and work through a proper career but never seem to get round to it. Maybe in '09...

No doubt I'll have a bash at Annan Athletic for novelty value. Other than that I'll mebee try Norway or Iceland again. I generally start up loads of different save games and lose interest before pre-season. It's a bit hit and miss which ones manage to keep me excited past that boring stage so that I kick on into a proper game.

I imagine I'll have another bash at Werder Bremen unless Diego gets sold, in which case I'll just throw a tantrum instead!

i've always had to start with an easy team like arsenal or barcelona, so i can learn the bargain buys, young players, etc. that's the only way i've ever been able to keep fulham up, but with our signings i'm hoping that i'll be able to do it first time round in 09

I think i'll be either Kings Lynn or Norwich City. I normally try an early game with Norwich to see how the new game engine plays, then switch to a game starting in the Conference or Conference N/S and try to get them into the EPL or better still get the Norwich job. The only problem with playing as the Norwich Manager is I care far too much about losing a match :(.

I can't believe so many of you manage the team they support. I really can't do that. Far too frustrating and disappointing hehe.

Well, I do that because I used to work for them. I didn't really care about football in general until I got involved with them and met face-to-face with them players in the dugout. Only after that I started following football in general and especially 'my' team, since I actually knew them. And some knew me, even though it was only by face, not by name ;-) With the most memorable game being an UEFA-cup game where the lights gave out and the game having to be stopped for half an hour.

Especially when considering they were sponsored by the electricity company. Do I hear 'cash-strapped', anyone? ;-)

But due to them having a horrible taste for new players in the past few years, I always end up wasting 1-2 seasons in my game getting rid of them ;-) And yeah, I do a better job in both football as financial aspects. I wonder why they never approach me in real life :-P

So yeah, 2009 I'll be there again.

Clubs:

- Vitesse (Dutch Premier Division)

- Hayes & Yeading (Blue Square South, if they're not relegated already and SI hasn't made the league below playable)

will be starting off as liverpool, as per usual, probably give dafuge's challenge another bash.. and i simplt HAVE to try and manage luton, just for the comedy value of trying to claw back the deficit they have! i just hope confidence is fixed and i dont get the sack for being bottom for so long!!!

Even though I'm still very much into my current save on FM08, I've actually been thinking about this a fair amount lately.

I'm sure my first game will be as Man. United, seeing as I support them. Plus, it'll be the quickest way to get acquainted with the new game. However, I'm nearly as excited as I was last year when we made all those new signings.

After that, I've been mulling a number of options over. At work today I thought about managing Milan, for some reason. But I've also felt myself drawn to Fenerbahce for some weeks now. Then there's a whole host of Russian clubs (well, not really. Far more likely I'll just choose from one of the Moscow clubs or Zenit St. Petersburg). And also today, I couldn't help but feel that it might be quite cool to take charge of France and see if I could revive their fortunes.

Thing is, I've never really spent much time trying any of the what you might call "different" leagues. The likes of MLS or Australia or Brazil or maybe even somewhere more obscure like India. For some reason, my mind is leaning towards Chivas USA, and I don't know why.

I guess you could say I'm keeping my options open!

I always start with Liverpool to get a feel for new features, transfers, etc then i'll go as Tranmere as my first proper game. When I get bored of that i'll go back to Liverpool for a proper game, and then go around Europe to the teams like A. Madrid. I'll then probably go as Tottenham as I have a feeling they'll be great in the game, and then one of the promoted clubs to see if I can keep them up. After i've got bored of that I usually go as a national manager and see what jobs come available after the first major championship (WC2010). Then...well I haven't got a clue really :D

Archived