The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

Evening all

After a couple of near misses, including drunkenly saving over my latest effort (yeah, not my finest hour) I'm back and determined to make a good go of a new career. In all of my previous FM13 saves I've looked to move from club to club when I felt I'd achieved all I could, so I've decided on a change with this one as I look to build one club from the lower reaches of Scandinavian or Eastern European football and turn them into giants. It may not be the first job that I take, but that's the long-term plan, anyway.

Just for the record, I'm no Liverpool fan (Notts County are my team) but of all the "great" managers of the past Shankly is perhaps the one I most admire and so he's the one I'd like to emulate if at all possible. For those who don't know, when Shankly arrived at Anfield in 1959, Liverpool had been floating around in the Second Division for five years, yet in his time there he transformed them from top to bottom. Although he only won three league titles it was his work building the foundations of the club that enabled them to go on and dominate English and European football.

So why am I not starting in England, I hear some of you ask. Well, truth be told, I get bored of England on FM. With so much money about simply by being in the Premier League it's taken the challenge out of the game, and while I quite like starting in the BSS/N, I don't fancy that kind of save right now. I've spent a lot of time playing FM13 in Eastern Europe, so I'm looking for somewhere a little different, which is where the idea of playing in Scandinavia has come from. However, I will add more leagues down the line to the keep the save fresh.

My plan is to take a second/ third/ fourth tier club from either Sweden, Finland, or Norway and turn them into the biggest club in the world. Ambitious? Absolutely, but if JackJCFC can do it from Wales, Scandinavia should be a doddle! Like I said though, if I can't manage to do so at my first club, I'm not setting myself any specific rules, so I'll be happy to move on if necessary.

The details

FM13.3 (no edits)

Leagues loaded: Denmark (Second Division & above) Finland (First Division & above) Iceland (First Division & above) Norway (Second Division & above) Sweden (Second Division & above)

Large database, 28,000 players

Start date: January 2013.

The manager

32 year old Johan Andersen is the man in the hotseat. He is Danish born to Norwegian family and with an automatic reputation. He is a lifelong fan of his local team Brøndby IF but his club will be decided by the wonderful "pick a club for me" button. Only 2nd tier and below clubs are eligible for my destination, I'll be back to update in just a moment...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a5hz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FK Bodø/Glimt
(From Wiki)

FK Bodø/Glimt is a Norwegian Adeccoligaen (second tier) football club from the town of Bodø and was founded in 1916. Its nickname is the original club name: Glimt.

Bodø/Glimt have been Northern Norwegian champions nine times, Norwegian Cup Champions twice and league runners-up three seasons (1977, 1993 and 2003). Glimt are known for their yellow kits and the huge yellow toothbrushes that the supporters carry to the matches — a supporter symbol from the 1970s. They were relegated at the end of the 2005 season, but returned to the top division on November 12, 2007, with a 4–2 aggregate victory over Odd Grenland in a playoff.

Their supporters are known as "Den Gule Horde" (The Golden Horde) and they retain a fierce rivalry with Tromsø IL.

The club play their football at the 7,354 capacity Aspmyra Stadion. The stadium has 6,127 seats with an artificial pitch for those cold Scandinavian winters (Bodø is actually located to the north of the Arctic Circle, and is the most northern club in the second tier.) Here's a little pic for you all:

zz8v.jpg

(From FM)

The media expect the club to challenge for promotion this year, with 3rd place being predicted. The club is valued at £2.7m, and while they are carrying a little debt, it is well in hand with the chairman. The club has average training and basic youth facilities.

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt

I've signed a 1 year contract with the club on £1,700p/w, so it would appear anything less than promotion and I'm out the door. A tough ask, but by no means impossible. The board have given me about £30,000 to play with in transfer funds, and my wage budget is £17,300p/w, with £2,500 currently spare. The club has just shy of £1.5m in the bank, and if we sell the predicted 3,000 season tickets there should be even more by the time the season starts.

My first job was to check on my backroom staff, and I'm quite pleased by what I saw. My assistant looks trustworthy with his opinions of current talent, and every member of the back room team bar the director of football has been retained. I'm bringing in a number of scouts and a fitness coach, but other than that I'm quite happy.

Here's my assistant's evaluation of the squad on my arrival:

zrno.png

2qep.png

According to my assistant, the best player at the club is 33 year old midfielder Tommy Knarvik.

jqr3.png

He should provide a bit of bite in midfield.

Maybe some younger talent is in order.
Doesn't look like there's too much depth in the defensive positions either

Both very astute observations, and I'm working on them. I'm 6 weeks in and have made about four additions, two more and I'll be happy with my squad and able to update - I'm still about 6 weeks away from the start of the season too.

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season preview 2013

Media expectation: 3rd (of 16)

Board expectation: promotion

Transfer budget (remaining): £0

Wage budget: £17,250p/w (currently £413p/w over budget)

An interesting first few weeks at the club. My scouts have identified lots of targets, but I've missed out on quite a few of them. My biggest issue, as laurencecapel correctly pointed out was defensively, and although I'm not thrilled with the players I've brought in, I'm at least happier that we're stronger than we were. As you can see, I've had to go over my budget at the moment simply because I couldn't find the loan signing I was looking for, but I'm hoping I can rectify that in the coming weeks by trimming a little fat from the squad.

Here's the list of transfers so far:

17ob.png

I've been able to keep all the players I wanted to, so I've no concerns with any of the players who have left the club.

Players in:

Jesper Boge: The Dane was the first arrival, and he definitely strengthens us on the right hand side. My scouts believe he's a future top flight right back, so hopefully he can make a difference in the promotion push.

Jonas Gronner: This year might be a little too soon for the young defender, but he's an excellent addition nevertheless.

Tomas Zvirgadauskas: Sadly the Lithuanian sums up the problems I had signing another young defender. Having said that, he may be 38 but he should be OK this season... and on a one year deal he might just make a difference.

Dzmitriy Rekish: The signing I'm most happy with, the Belarusian can play all across the left and centre of midfield and adds genuine quality to the squad.

Tore Andreas Gundersen: Gundersen will be our main striker for this season, and he's another who my scouts suggest should be playing in the top flight. He cost our entire budget, but he looks like a solid signing.

One final in and out before the window closed. Striker Aram Khalili, who was out of contract in December and a top earner on £1.200p/w, left the club for £20,000 and was replaced with a young attacking midfielder.

3mmi.png

That deal put us back under budget and also ensured a real weakness was strengthened in time for the new season. Right, on we go...

April

AL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Hødd

Pretty much the dream start. We were in control very early on and left winger Ulrik Berglann had the honour of scoring the first competitive goal of my tenure, and just after it was two as on-loan midfielder Papa Ndiaye drilled home from close range. A late penalty from Tore Andreas Gundersen secured the points.

AL: HamKam 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

Something of a smash and grab, but I'll take it. Attacking midfielder Rekish scored his first for the club, smashing home on his left foot from 25 yards.

AL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Byrne

A game filled with a plethora of defensive errors, but the one that mattered most was one of theirs. Gundersen scored two more here, and although our keeper made a real howler to let them back in it, I'll take the points.

AL: Vard Haugesund 0-0 Bodø/Glimt

A poor display, but we remain unbeaten so I'll take it. Every cloud...

AL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Fredrikstad

Again, this display was a little disjointed which is concerning, but we did enough to take the points. We had to come from behind, but first goals for the club from defender Zvirgadauskas and striker Milic secured three precious points against pre-season title favourites.

x7t.png

May

AL: Follo 0-4 Bodø/Glimt

The best display so far. Two more Milic goals, one from Diame and a screamer from Rekish see us move into the automatic promotion spots.

Norwegian Cup: Tromsdalen 1-1 Bodø/Glimt (aet, 4-3 on pens)

Crashing out of the cup at the first attempt hasn't gone down very well with the board. We trailed early on only for Jim Johansen to level things, but as much as we pressed we couldn't find a winner, and it was almost inevitable we'd lose on penalties.

AL: Kongsvinger 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

Just what we needed after the cup tie: a game against an unbeaten side towards the top of the league. We were excellent, and Gundersen grabbed another couple of goals. Johansen scored the other.

AL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Kristiansund

Gundersen and Sane continue our good start to the league season. Gundersen is already looking like a good acquisition for £40,000.

AL: Sandefjord 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

A tap in from Gundersen, and a goal-of-the-season volley from Sane saw us pick up three more points.

AL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Mjøndalen

Hmm, this is getting a bit like George Graham's Arsenal... another good win, and yet another clean sheet. Gundersen and Nordberg with the goals.

AL: Elverum 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

The home side are right in the mire at the bottom, and they were no match for us here. Two more from Gundersen and one from Milic ensured we finished May flying high.

xe7v.png

June

AL: Bodø/Glimt 4-2 Ull/Kisa

This should have been comfortable after Gundersen scored two in the opening quarter of an hour, but it was anything but. Ull/Kisa scored either side of half time and for a while looked like grabbing a winner, but late goals from Jim Johansen and Sane ensured we took the points.

AL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Strømmen

A really tough battle before the month-long summer break, but Gundersen was once again the difference maker. With the game meandering towards a goalless draw he found some space in the area and drilled home his 13th of the season. Just a pity he can't be bothered in training...

qnsh.png

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt

2013 mid season report

Things are going pretty well then in my first six months in charge. It was a shame to get knocked out of the cup, especially as that may have provided a much-needed cash injection into the coffers, but so far so good in the league. The signing of Gundersen has really set us apart from the rest of the league, and Milic alongside him has complimented him perfectly. I've been playing 4-4-2 for most of the season, but my squad has enough in it for me to change that system if need be.

Although the board weren't happy with us getting knocked out of the cup, they do seem to be really pleased with the style of football we're playing (I've been asked to play attacking football as part of my contract) and of course the results. Despite the fact we're lacking cash, they have increased my wage budget and also provided funds for a new signing! (more on that in a moment.) There is a decent pot of prize money for winning the league (just shy of £600,000) so I'm hoping that we will have enough to pick up the title for more than one reason.

I'm already planning for next year, and have identified about £3,500p/w I can chop off the wage bill, and I'm going to need it as I've been very active this window already. 35 year old captain Christian Berg will be leaving in the winter as I can't afford his £1,200p/w wages, and I also expect my emergency defender Tomas Zvirgadauskas to follow him out the door. There was a real need to bring in some younger, home grown players and that's exactly what I've done, as well as signing on-loan Papa Ndiaye to a permanent deal.

Here's the players arriving next month:

Fredrik Ulvestad: The 21 year old midfielder is the player I asked the board to sign, and although I think they over-paid a little by spending £100,000, he does look to be top quality for this level and with a chance to improve too. Indeed, the scout who recommended him thinks he already has the ability to be outstanding in the top flight.

Martin Nygaard Nygaard is very much one for the future, but he has to be a better bet than relying on a near-39 year old. He's another one who should be outstanding in a couple of years time.

Ola Hermann Opheim Not too keen on his eccentricity stat, but other than that he looks like a future number 1 goalkeeper. His arrival will mean that my woeful number 2 can be sold on as soon as possible.

Jakob Rasmussen The young Dane is likely to fit straight in at left back, which will allow me to take advantage in the interest of my current number 3, who is out of contract in the winter and simply isn't good enough for the top flight.

Lars Arne Togstad Another very good young defender who should certainly improve our options. Another player who should improve with game time.

Sondre Tronstad Tronstad has been signed to be loaned out, but with the right coaching I'm hoping he can become an important player in a couple of years.

Can't complain at bringing in so many players for £100,000.... and all bar-one Norwegian too.

July

A month dominated by injury problems, but thankfully we got some decent results on the pitch.

AL: Ranheim 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

I was planning on letting two players make their debut here, but thanks to a 3 month injury to goalkeeper Pavel Londak and an 8 week knock for midfielder Tommy Knarvik, I was forced into throwing in two youngsters straight away. Not the best display, but still unbeaten thanks to a late leveller from Bogdan Milic.

AL: Stabæk 2-3 Bodø/Glimt

A tough old battle here as we did our best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Cruising at 3-0 with 40 minutes gone thanks to Gundersen (2) and Rekish, Gundersen went down injured while defending a free kick and we conceded on the stroke of half time. The second half was very nervy, and when they halved the deficit with 20 minutes to play I expected us to fold, but our youngsters held firm for three more points. Thankfully, Gundersen's injury should only see him miss 3 or 4 weeks.

w4pt.png

August

My bad run of injuries continued just before the first game with key winger Rekish the latest to pick up a knock. With four key players missing, my squad is being stretched to the limit.

AL: Bodø/Glimt 4-1 HamKam

Really pleased with this victory as it showed me that I can trust several of my squad players (or so I thought!)The first start I'd given to Vegard Braaten was rewarded with a brace, while Milic and a Saltnes free kick secured the win.

AL: Hødd 2-1 Bodø/Glimt

All good things must come to an end, and we were well beaten here despite the close score. Braaten scored his third in two games early on, but in truth we were never in it. No complaints from me.

AL: Bryne 3-2 Bodø/Glimt

Crisis? This was certainly an appalling display, and two goals in stoppage time for us really distorts the picture. We were abysmal defensively, so we've got some work to do tactically. Ulvestad and Nordberg with the goals.

AL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Vard Haugesund

Very average, but we got the win. Braaten again with the goal. The returning Gundersen and Rekish certainly made a difference though.

AL: Fredrikstad 1-0 Bodø/Glimt

The month finishes with another highly frustrating defeat. Poor performances from too many players have blighted our month.

m2hl.png

September

AL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Kongsvinger

Again it was a fairly average display, but Gundersen's late goal secured a win for us.

AL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Follo

So so wasteful, yet Gundersen at least got us another win. 18 shots on goal, 2 on target....

AL: Kristiansund 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

Very lucky to get a point here, especially as we only had 35% of the ball. The big defender Nordberg grabbed our goal from a corner, but we didn't look like adding to it.

AL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Sandefjord

I was serving a touchline ban for this one, but my assistant did well enough tactically for us to force the win (although he didn't make a single sub!) Strikers Milic and Gundersen with the goals after we fell behind early on.

gl27.png

October

AL: Bodø/Glimt 3-3 Elverum

Gah. Three up at half time, the second half was a horror show. Gundersen, Milik and Rekish grabbed the goals, but we were like a different side in the second half.

AL: Ull/Kisa 3-0 Bodø/Glimt

A humiliating defeat, but I can't complain about it. We were absolutely woeful.

AL: Mjøndalen 0-0 Bodø/Glimt

After our last performance I shook things up a little with personnel and our system, and we definitely improved although we couldn't force a winner.

AL: Strømmen 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

A first away win in the league since July, and it was all down to Bogdan Milic. He bagged a wonderful hat-trick which meant we could celebrate lifting the Adeccoligaen title with two games left to play.

19gi.png

ga6c.png

November

AL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Ranheim

An excellent performance in front of our biggest crowd of the season. Knarvik and Milic with the goals as the fans got to celebrate the title.

AL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Stabæk

An even bigger crowd for the final day of the season, as more than 6,500 pack in the tight stadium to see Gundersen grab a double and secure the points.

f3sp.png

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season summary

League (Adeccoligaen)

Media prediction: 3rd (of 16)

Finished: 1st (champions- promoted to Tippeligaen)

Cups

Norwegian Cup: 1st round

Top scorers

Tore Andreas Gundersen: 29 apps (28 starts): 21 goals (all in the league)

Bogdan Milic: 27 appearances (20 starts): 12 goals (all in the league)

Positives

All in all, that's a pretty good first season in Norway. It was all about getting promoted, but to win the title and by 9 points is more than I could have wished for. A lot of my signings have really worked, with Gundersen and Rekish in particular standing out. Winning promotion has also brought a good £600,000 into the club, which has eliminated a good chunk of the club's debt. I've also got a few fringe players out of contract this summer, so I'm hoping that we'll have enough room with the budget to allow me to strengthen enough to stay up next year.

Concerns

A little concerned about money at the club, but I'm pretty sure there will be a bit of TV money next year which will really help, plus I hope that we'll sell out a few games so that should help. Player wise I'm a little concerned about my defence, but hopefully I can plug that gap in the coming months ahead of life in the top flight.

Ambitions

Next year is all about survival, although I hope we can do a little better in the cup too.

Surprise of the season

Gundersen's 21 goals, which led to the Golden Boot, was a wonderful surprise.

Player of the season

Tore Andreas Gundersen.

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 2,700 (v Follo in the league)

Highest attendance: 6,714 (v Stabæk)

Average attendance: 3,276 (in the league)

Well done on winning the title, could have been double figures in points difference without that mini crisis :D
Very well done this year. Hopefully promotion will improve your finances.
Excellent first season with FK Bodø/Glimt and congrats on winning the title!

Cheers lads. A good first season, now I just hope I can build on it at a higher level next year. Another experienced central defender is a must though.

Despite the fact that the club is about £1m in debt and has had to redevelop part of the stadium for life in the top flight, the board have just announced this:

5fk.png

That's an increase of about 50% from last year, so that should certainly help ensure we're competitive on the field.

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season preview 2014

Media expectation: 15th (of 16)

Board expectation: avoid relegation

Transfer budget: (remaining) £120,000

Wage budget: £34,558p/w (£3,800p/w under budget)

I was absolutely delighted that the board provided extra money for the new season, especially with us being in debt at the end of last year. The wage budget was very reasonable, and with enough room for me to spend a few quid on transfers as well, which you'll see in a second. My biggest priority was my back four, and I've signed a couple of outstanding central defenders for this level, but I am a little short still at left back. The squad restrictions mean I have to be careful with who I bring in (I can't have any more than 9 players who began their careers outside of Norway, as well as a firm limit of 25 players in the squad) so although I've identified lots of players, that's the reason why I still have cash left over.

Here's my transfer activity so far, with about 6 weeks left before the first league game:

3z13.png

Players out

Last year's skipper Christian Berg was 35 and on £1,200p/w so I didn't renew his contract. 39 year old Tomas Zvirgadauskas wasn't good enough for the top flight, and so he was the next player's contract I allowed to expire, and Magnus Olsen simply didn't justify his salary. Brazilian Eli Marques was only allowed to go because of the foreign player restrictions, but I was pleased to get a fee for him, and the £30,000 for Robertson was a wonderful deal. Add to that the 4 youngsters sent out to our feeder club, I'm quite happy with our out-going activity.

Key players in

Siebe Blondelle The Belgian can play in both central defence and left back, and although he's lacking a little pace he definitely provides us with a great option.

Kristoffer Barmen I'm delighted with this signing. I have a number of options now for centre midfield, but Barmen will play every week if he is fit. He's best suited to play as a defensive-minded central midfielder, so he replaces both Berg and Tommy Knarvik in that role, while he can also be used as my more adventurous CM if needed too. £250,000 was a lot to spend, but he really does add much needed Tippeligaen class to the side.

Jorgen Hammer The jewel in the crown of this year's side. Hammer will be the first name on every team sheet and I beat a lot of clubs to get him. A steal for £120,000p/w.

You can see there are four other arrivals, but all of them are simply to boost our numbers. If any of them break into the side I'll add some more images.

A pre-season which seems to have lasted forever (from mid November to mid March) has finally come to an end. Friendlies played below mainly for confidence purposes, and although the final game was an aberration, I'm feeling quite good for the new season.

z3yr.png

Very few injuries in the squad too, so we should be at full strength on the opening day.

March

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Hønefoss

A really pleasing performance in our first top-flight game. Gundersen continued his form from last year and scored twice, while winger Jannick Hansen scored his first for the club to seal the points.

TL: Molde 3-1 Bodø/Glimt

If we were going to get a result at the home of the champions, we needed every single player to be at the top of his game. Sadly, we had too many who had a shocking day at the office and so we're brought back to the ground with a bump. Gundersen again on the score sheet.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Strømsgodset

A really good home display gives us our second win of the season. Nordberg had a magnificent game at the back, but he also opened the scoring after 5 minutes with a thumping header, and despite us conceding soon after, Hansen capitalised on a goal mouth scramble to put us back in front before half time. We should have had more in the second half with two goals disallowed, but I'll take the points.

TL: Rosenborg 3-1 Bodø/Glimt

Well, if I look at the positives I can at least be happy I've got the away trips to the two big clubs out the way in the first month, but defensively we were dreadful here. Johansen briefly pulled us back into it at 2-1, but we conceded some shocking goals.

y1xq.png

A pretty decent start really, lost against clubs that you're not supposed to stand a chance against and picked up 2 good wins, you'd surely take 7th place right now!

Absolutely, 13th and above is success this year. I do think we're better than that though and so I'm aiming for a top-half finish.

April

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Tromsø

A wonderful display in the Slaget om Nord-Norge derby (the battle of Northern Norway) sees us pick up another victory, and a really sweet one at that. Gundersen was the hero with a brace, but this was unquestionably the best display of the season.

TL: Ull/Kisa 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

Hansen and Milic provide the goals which gives us our first away win in the top flight.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-2 Vålerenga

Robbed of a point by an erroneous flag, but in fairness we were really poor here. Briefly on level terms thanks to Braaten, but the side from the capital were far superior.

TL: Aalesund 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

An excellent display, but it was looking like another defeat until Braaten grabbed a special equaliser in stoppage time.

r1du.png

Great work on the promotion :thup: a few early points on the board is always good, hopefully you can do enough to stay up
Doing very well so far.

Cheers, lads. Quite enjoying Norway so far, and I'm pretty confident that we'll have enough to stay up. I'm already trying to identify where I can improve for next year, but I'm stuck a little as I'm at the limit with foreign players. Something will need to change there, I feel.

Just thought, I said foreign players when I meant home-grown... my plan over time is to build a squad entirely made up of Norwegian players, but at the moment I'm not able to attract the type of quality I'd need to do that. I definitely prefer leagues with limits though, hence why I enjoy places like Ukraine so much.

The hardest part for me to adapt to so far has been the calendar... definitely makes player recruitment a little tougher.

May

Norwegian Cup: Sandnessjøen 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

Gundersen, Braaten and Nordberg ensure there's no repeat of last year's horror show in the cup.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Haugesund

An excellent display after falling behind. Gundersen, Milic and Ulvestad the men who found the back of the net.

Norwegian Cup: Mo 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

An awful display, but we squeeze through. Just one of our 11 shots were on target, but Milic's effort sees us into the next round.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-1 Lillestrøm

Robbed. Braaten deservedly put us in front, but a ridiculous late penalty robbed us of two points against a side we're neck-and-neck with in the league.

Norwegian Cup 3rd Round: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Lillestrøm

Three days after our league meeting Lillestrøm came back to our place for the cup tie, and we were the better side once more. Bogdan Milic was the difference maker, drilling home after a give and go with Gundersen.

mnn6.png

Breaking news

FK Bodø/Glimt might be exceeding expectations on the pitch, but off it they are struggling. Despite the board's generosity in the last transfer window, the club are now officially financially insecure and pressure is being applied on me to transfer-list some of the club's key players. It's disappointing as I haven't over-spent in any way, but I can't see any other option.

Here's a look at how bad things have become:

e0zr.png

I'll have to consider any interest in any of my players, and bids have already come in for key central midfielder Fredrik Ulvestad and our best central defender Tom Erik Nordberg. Both players were unhappy when I told them I had to transfer list them, but disappointingly both offers simply have to be accepted.

vgb4.png

l7rx.png

Both players will make the move to Belgium in a couple of weeks time if they can agree personal terms.

EDIT: Tom Erik Nordberg turned the move down but Ulvestad is on his way, which brings in a profit of about £750,000 for him. I've been able to add £150,000 for one of my fringe players Ulrik Saltnes too, so that £1m should certainly keep the wolves from the door. For now, anyway.

EDIT 2: First choice American goalkeeper Quentin Westburg was also sold for £200,000 to French club Angers SCO. He was signed on a free last summer, and although he was my number 1, my second choice keeper is pretty decent too.

Well that really sucks!

It is disappointing, but I'm OK with it. It means I need to readjust this year's ambitions (the league has 5 European spots this year and so I was hoping I could sneak in there) but that's not a huge issue as I only have to avoid the drop. Unfortunately, prize money has gone down this year, but if I can finish above 14th we'll bring in about £700,000 which will help.

June

TL: Brann 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

I expected to struggle here, but a stubborn defensive line held firm, and Rekish won it on the break with 3 minutes left to play.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-1 Sogndal

So frustrating. So many chances came and went, yet we spurned all but one. Gundersen with the goal which rescued us from a smash-and-grab.

TL: Byrne 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

A poor display against the side who are rock-bottom of the table, but a stoppage time Milic goal secured the points.

Norwegian Cup 4th round: Strømsgodset 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

A vintage display keeps our interest in the cup going to the quarter final stage at least. Milic, Nordberg and Hammer on the score sheet.

g4ho.png

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt

2014 mid season report

A mixed second season so far then as we enter into July. Things have been brilliant on the pitch, 3rd is more than I could have possibly imagined at this stage of the season, although with 17 games left to play it'll be very difficult for me to hang on to that position. Indeed, if finances continue the way they are (we're losing about £250,000 a month) I'll probably have to let a couple more of my first XI leave the club before this window closes, which will certainly weaken us.

On the positive side, making the cup quarter final has me optimistically hoping that a good draw leaves us with a real chance of winning the thing. However, even if we were to get knocked out at this stage we'd make a tidy little fee which is really important at the moment. I've been disappointed that the crowds haven't grown how I'd have hoped (I'm averaging under 4,500) but I do at least now know that my board are not to be trusted with their budgets, so I'll have to do it myself.

Even if I don't sell any more players between now and the close of the window, there is about £5,000p/w I can take off the wage budget for next year, and of course I won't be spending any transfer fees at the end of the season either. Last year I mentioned several new players I was bringing in at this stage of the season, but as you'd imagine I can't even look at that this year.

However, with all that being said I have identified two or three I can bring in on free transfers who will improve us... if the board will allow them to be signed!

July

TL: Odd 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

Two very different goals from Gundersen and one from Hansen secure the points. Gundersen's first was a scintillating volley, his second a predatory tap in, and Hansen's thumping header in the second half see our great run continue.

TL: Sarpsborg 08 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

A very dreary game, but a late penalty from Gundersen secures three more points.

TL: Hønefoss 0-0 Bodø/Glimt

One of those games where we made a million chances, yet we couldn't find the break through... still, a decent point.

TL: Strømsgodset 1-0 Bodø/Glimt

A really poor display, but I can't be too annoyed after a ten game unbeaten run.

jhud.png

Archived