Welsh Premier League!

Do many people actually pick a team from this league? I've been visiting various FM sites for a few years now and very rarely i see people picking a club from this league

What are the reasons? Too difficult? Lack of knowledge?

Someone from this forum even had to search welsh premier league to see what it was! lol

I did a save with Carmarthen when FM13 came out.

Its a little limited due to the league rep which means even if you do well you struggle to get a job elsewhere for the most part but as a closed save its a fairly enjoyable challenge. In my save TNS were the only pro team in the league while Bangor turned pro a few seasons in. Other people have had other teams turning pro but its a big step. I got into Europe a few times and was challenging for the title most seasons.

I'm sure in the career forum there was a save where someone achieved huge success being a regular European challenger with a Welsh club.

EDIT

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/339400-It-s-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it

Well i'm currently in 2017 and i haven't managed to get into the group stages yet! won the league 4 times. Welsh premier cup 4 times and the Welsh cup 3 times!

I just need to get that extra step in europe! But i just lost last seasons title to TNS so that's set me back!

How long did it take you to win the Champions League?

I don't seem to get that many good youth players come through either!

I went to Uni in Bangor and ever since I went there I have a save with them as well as my usual Liverpool and lower english league save. Have struggled massively in Europe but won 4 leagues in 6 seasons with 5 welsh cups and 2 Welsh premier cups. Don't think I've ever had more than 1 half decent youngster come in a season.

Was my intention on my FM2013 save to get Colwyn Bay to EPL glory, then use them as a de facto parent club to boost the welsh national team and feed into a welsh premier team - it never quite got there, found myself stuck finishing 3rd in the prem with colwyn and got a bit bored of it - before I even took up the welsh prem team. I may still get around to it eventually - it's enticing from the standpoint of boosting a small nation up.

I did a save with Carmarthen when FM13 came out.

Its a little limited due to the league rep which means even if you do well you struggle to get a job elsewhere for the most part but as a closed save its a fairly enjoyable challenge. In my save TNS were the only pro team in the league while Bangor turned pro a few seasons in. Other people have had other teams turning pro but its a big step. I got into Europe a few times and was challenging for the title most seasons.

I'm sure in the career forum there was a save where someone achieved huge success being a regular European challenger with a Welsh club.

EDIT

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/339400-It-s-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it

That'd be my career :cool:. Left that career for almost a month and when i came back to it i didn't really have the time/motivation to post updates despite playing on. Think i'm somewhere around the 2056 mark having won the CL 4 times out of the 6 i've reached the final. Love that save, don't think i'll ever be ready to completely leave it, got some awesome players.

If anyone's interested i'll upload it if they tell me how.

I went to Uni in Bangor and ever since I went there I have a save with them as well as my usual Liverpool and lower english league save. Have struggled massively in Europe but won 4 leagues in 6 seasons with 5 welsh cups and 2 Welsh premier cups. Don't think I've ever had more than 1 half decent youngster come in a season.

So did I! Went quite regularly to see them play at Farrar Road and then the new stadium, including the season where they won the league a few years back and I've thought about managing them on FM but the problem with being in that league is that the best you can realistically hope for is maybe if you're lucky winning the odd European tie here and then if you're drawn against someone from a league even worse than the WPL, I remember TNS drew Liverpool a few years back which must have been good for them, but that's the exception. And domestically, its poor as well, barely anyone can manage crowds of more than 200 and you're never going to get more than conference standard football (plus of course only Bangor have managed to challenge TNS's dominance, though they look set to continue), so I think some clubs would be better off being back in the English system really, cause bar a couple of European ties at the start of the season, its generally pretty dull being in the WPL and I know some Bangor fans were moaning about the fact they're meeting the same old part time teams several times a season, so I think I'd find it a bit boring managing them tbh, I'd much rather manage an English non league team with the dreams of promotions and cup runs and getting to play big pro teams or even premiership teams if you do well.

I'd be interested to hear any stories of European success with a WPL team though, just getting to the group stages of a tournament would be a huge feat for a WPL team.

I've had a few saved games over the years with Welsh teams, got Neath past the Group stage of the Champions League once and also the same with Prestatyn. It is a long haul to get to that stage but if you regularly get into Europe you can upgrade your Youth and Training Facilities so you can bring in some decent youth players.

This surprises me - I live in the Welsh Premier League - even though I have no affiliation to it (barring FM).

I have played as Cwmbran Town, Llangefni, Llanelli, Llangenor and my latest save, Calsonic Kansei SSC.

I have made (this is not an impressive roll call) - Champions League group stages x1, Europa league group stages x 3. Thats about it for major success.

Its incredibly tough if you pick up a game with the lower Welsh leagues via the additional league packs knocking around - but thats the game in Wales. I love the fact that it is incredibly tough - it really adds to the accomplishment.

Do many people actually pick a team from this league? I've been visiting various FM sites for a few years now and very rarely i see people picking a club from this league

What are the reasons? Too difficult? Lack of knowledge?

Someone from this forum even had to search welsh premier league to see what it was! lol

It's a popular league for LLaMas especially clan games, since Wales only has the one league so everyone stays together.

You guys missed out then! In the LLM Clans I was involved in, it was a lot of fun.

The Zealot clan I played in reached the 2030s on CM01/02. There won't be many clans who played for that long. We had five regulars plus four semi regulars for much of the clan.

I have done it in Wales NI ROI and I love these sort of games because you can truly change everything bout the team philosophy make them rich if managed the right way and the best part buying youngsters and developing them I have won the CL with Police Service of Northern Ireland, Newry and Bangor but that does take many years to get the right personal. The greatest part is that even with high wages you can lose like 80-100k a month but if you can qualify for the CL you get 8 million 122kish for a draw and 400kish for a win plus prize money but if you have good financial control you can earn even more and eventually start strengthening or to make a killer academy :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finally made it to the Europa league group stages with Bangor City!! Took me to the year 2019 but finally did it, Although the wait was not worth it, We finished bottom of the group and only won 1 game lost the other 5! But got my bank balance up to a healthy £3million and immediately spent it on upgrading the training facilities! Also got some good youngsters coming through!

What i find the most difficult though is playing a tactic other than a direct 442! Every other tactic i try always fails because the players are just not good enough, this is why i did so poor in europe too! On course to win my 6th league title as well

Any tips?

I noticed on all my saves that TNS only spawn English newgens - what's the reason for this? I am guessing it's because their stadium is in England but most of their real life squad is Welsh.

Aren't they actually based in an English town? In FM terms this means that most of their youth players are english, at least i think thats the case.

Did you use the same formation in the league and in europe?

Yeah most of the time. I did experiment with a 4-2-3-1 which worked as well but it wasn't quite as solid and some of my players didn't really fit the formation so it was a rarity that i used it.

I lived in Chester for years and have been to many Welsh Prem games and alliance games, been to Airbus, Newtown, Connahs Quay, Conwy, Fflint Town, Druids, Welshpool, Rhyl, Caersws, Aberystwyth and TNS over the years. So on FM11 I had a game with Connahs Quay Nomads, won the domestic treble in season 2, never won a game in europe though. So tempted to have a game as Airbus since they are a Chester team.

Yes TNS are based in an English Town, Oswestry, which like Chester straddles the border. They moved there about 5 years ago from a lovely stadium in LLansantfried, which had a brilliant social club, a big stand behind one goal, but by far the best view was watching the game from the side on what resembled a public footpath, up high to give a great view.

Bit late on the upload but here's my Wales save from 2057.

Domestically my team is dominant and has some of the best players in the world in the squad. We've won the Champions League a total of 5 times and are current defending champions. I'm also the Welsh manager looking to try and win international tournaments with the team but i never really got past the quarter finals of any competition so maybe someone else will have more luck!

Haven't really touched it in a while as i became a bit bored of it and it got a bit slow on my rubbish old laptop.

Hope the link works, let me know if it doesnt.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hwy7bycccs77ttu/Carmarthen_Town_(Backup)_(v02)_(v02).fm

Archived