Have you ever won the World Cup? if so, who with?

just started a new FM doing England, only done international team once before on FM and I didn't get as for as the World Cup (although I stormed through qualifiers winning most matches by 6-8 goals!).

so have you won the World Cup? who did you win it with? was they the best in the world or was it a nation which were underdogs to qualify even?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belgium. This year and the 2 previous games. So easy!

Courtois (GK)

Vermealen (LB)

Alderweireld (CB)

Kompany (CB)

Vanden Borre (RB)

Nainggolan (BWM)

Fellaini (CM)

Hazard (IF R)

Witsel (IF L)

Defour (AP)

Lukaku (P)

I usually start off with Belgium and take any club job i can find to stave off boredom between international games. I've also won it with Serbia, England, France and Italy in the game last year. Wish it was still Serbia&Montenegro (Yugoslavia), that'd be an amazing national team!

I few versions ago I had planned an epic Journeyman game. I had about 40ish leagues running from all over the world, and I was planning on gradually playing my way up the leagues. I put the game on holiday until 2014 and returned in the build up to the World Cup, planning on giving my manager character his debut there, and then retiring at the end and going on holiday while applying for any job. I saw Jamaica had qualified, and they took my fancy, at which point unknown reputation manager Kingston Marley was born, tasked with enjoying the experience of the World Cup. I set my team out incredibly defensively with Ryan Johnson my only remotely attacking threat.

I was unbeaten in the groups, without so much as conceding a goal. I just went through by a point after to failing to win a game. Remarkably, my winless run continued all the way to the final, where, in keeping with every previous knockout round fixture, I won on penalties, against Spain. Kingston Marley was hailed as a legend and was promptly offered many of the biggest jobs in world football - and the journeyman game I had spent hours and days planning was ruined.

I actually took a little break from FM after this experience, something about winning the World Cup while not making a single attempt to do so, while failing miserably every time I had actually tried was more upsetting than anything else, aside from the fact my journeyman plans had been ended. :lol:

A few times with various nations. My FM10 win with the mighty Iceland has to be the best.

The hardest bit about FM13 is resisting the temptation to give a load of players a single cap, because the new "x wage after international" can financially cripple your rivals. Although FM and self-imposed challenges go hand in hand.

France on FM08 - been very close with the Cote d'Ivoire on FM09, but Spain beat me 2-1 - their goal 12 minutes from time was the only time in the entire tournament I had been behind. On FM10 had an epic run to the semis before being beaten by Argentina with extra time, despite mounting a comeback from 2 goals down with 10 men in the last 20 minutes

Won it with Ireland in one of the first FMs, thanks mostly to an awesome left-winger who was tearing things up at Arsenal.

In FM10, I followed up an unexpected 2020 Euros win with the Ukraine by winning the 2022 World Cup, courtesy of two backs-to-the-wall-and-counter-all-the-way wins against France and Spain in the semi and the final.

because international management is still awful in FM.

Why?

Belgium. This year and the 2 previous games. So easy!

Courtois (GK)

Vermealen (LB)

Alderweireld (CB)

Kompany (CB)

Vanden Borre (RB)

Nainggolan (BWM)

Fellaini (CM)

Hazard (IF R)

Witsel (IF L)

Defour (AP)

Lukaku (P)

I usually start off with Belgium and take any club job i can find to stave off boredom between international games. I've also won it with Serbia, England, France and Italy in the game last year. Wish it was still Serbia&Montenegro (Yugoslavia), that'd be an amazing national team!

I'll definitely be trying a Belgium one - But I need to get Lukaku and Benteke playing together. Such a top team.

Also want to try a Serbian game.

I don't remember if it was FM 10 or 11, but I won the 2010 cup with Argentina winning 2-0 against Spain in the final. That was the hardest match, the other was one with Turkey in the knock-out rounds which I won 4-3 in the 2nd extra time with Messi scoring the 4-3 :p.

I won another one with them in FM12 in the 2014 cup with the curiosity of Brazil being knocked out in the 1st round (I don't remember who was the rival in the final though)

Before that I reached 3rd place with Cameroon after defeating Nigeria 3-0. The most epic match of that WC was against Italy in the 2nd round winning 1-0 with 10 players because of a red card.

In that WC I ended defeated by the later champion that was...Czech Republic...

Then in the 2014 cup I was the US manager and I discovered a really good striker called Craig Mills that ended as the team's top scorer...but there I ended in quarter finals against England.

Also, before the database update of FM13, I won the U20 cup with Argentina defeating Germany 3-2 after a hard match (We played in the group round too and it was a 0-0)

I havent won it, but I did make the final with Australia, going down 2-0 to Italy in the final.

I was lucky to make it that far, my team was rubbish but I got a really good draw and beat Croatia in the round of 16 (1-0 tight match), Sweden in the quarter (2-0, a flukey win), and Portugal on penalties in the semi (1-1, 5-4 on penalties, I was dominated). I consider this my greatest achievment in FM.

Why?

I have the very finest English talent in my Spurs squad. With that said :

Every single squad I pick the media complain of nepotism. Despite this team breaking English records all the time and winning multiple tournaments.

Even though my players play together every week with the same tactic as the national side, their tactical familiarity remains poor.

Pick an old player, press complain you should be looking at the future.

Pick a young player, press complain you should be looking at experience.

My u21,20,19 managers never so much as hint at the performance of the younger players and which ones might be worth a look in the full international squad.

Win the World Cup, get a few messages which are the same as if you win the Community Shield just with the names changed, and the moment the day ticks over your World Cup win is never mentioned again.

Nobody comments about the buzz in the nation. There isn't a parade with the trophy. Anything would be okay. Instead, nada.

No player media mentions their Golden Boot ever again (something so important we still remember Salenko or Schillaci).

36 year old Championship players who haven't been picked for 4 years feeling disappointed that you haven't picked them but will make themselves available.

You can't ask an International Manager/talk to the press about picking a good performing player of yours for the next international squad.

You can only berate a bad selection, never comment upon a good one, or suggest a better one.

David Nichols (a regen of mine) broke the England all-time scoring record and got a single news item.

When he broke Ali Daei's World Record for international goals it passed without mention.

I'll stop now, but hopefully you get the idea.

I'll definitely be trying a Belgium one - But I need to get Lukaku and Benteke playing together. Such a top team.

Also want to try a Serbian game.

Benteke has awful finishing in this game. Mirallas has gotten a lot better. The right backs are terrible though but, then again Lobearts and Vertonghen have improved and there's an excellent LB at Sociedad meaning you can ditch Alderweireld out to the right back position.

Not sure about Serbia this year, they were a pain the last time out because they didn't really have a decent striker. It's such a pain that everything Serbia lacks, Montenegro has and vice versa. Shame those 2 are no longer Yugoslavia otherwise it'd be almost too easy to win a WC.

Just won it with Belgium again

Courtois

Brock

Vermaelen

Kompany

Vanden Borre

Nainggolan

Wuytens (Fellaini was injured)

Mertens

Hazard

Chadli

Lukaku

I played a 451. 2 CB's, 2 WB's, 1 BWM, 1DLP, 2 IF's, 1 AP and 1 Poacher. Basically balls to the wall all out attack. Worked. Beat France, Argentina and a few other biggies although Cameroon gave me a fright!

Just won it with England in 2034 at the second attempt beating a loaded Brazilian squad (they beat me in 2030 Semi) on penalities after hanging on for a 0-0, was nice to win it as I hadn't won a World Cup since FM06 when I won it with Holland, Italy and England.

Probably my favorite FM moment was when I won the World Cup in FM2012 with Scotland, beating France 2-1 in extra time. I have not won it this year though, but I'm currently managing a very strong Brazil so that might change come the next World Cup.

Probably my favorite FM moment was when I won the World Cup in FM2012 with Scotland, beating France 2-1 in extra time. I have not won it this year though, but I'm currently managing a very strong Brazil so that might change come the next World Cup.

Good work, I never managed that, despite that fact that as a Scot I feel that FM 12 had far too many overpowered Scottish newgens, I often had players at the liked of Roma and Juventus for some reason. FM 13 seems to have absolutely fixed that, and made it more realistic :(

its the only competition i have never won. got to the final with brazil once but lost to chile :(

its quite hard to do if you don't cheat.

As a 'big nation' (Brazil, England, in FM12 France in FM11) I find it pretty easy, if you have a good squad that you have been with a few years and if you have players you have developed through your club it works well. I find the Champions League and harder to win, in my opinion that's the toughest competition in the game.

I seem to remember years and years ago, doing really well with Ireland, cant remember if I won the WC but definitely got to the latter stages might have been on an old ChampMan game.

On FM10 I won the WC with England, beating Spain 1-0 in the final with an injury time Glen Johnson (of all people) goal. One of the few times I have actually leaped out of my seat in celebration on FM.

Won it one time in FM 2006 with Italy.

Best thing about it I somehow convinced Ze Roberto to become an Italian citizen. Brazil just left him out constantly. Then went on he scored like 5 goals in the tournament. 1 goal against Brazil in the semi-finals :)))) which sent us through. I don't think he'l ever return to Brazil after that.

Good work, I never managed that, despite that fact that as a Scot I feel that FM 12 had far too many overpowered Scottish newgens, I often had players at the liked of Roma and Juventus for some reason. FM 13 seems to have absolutely fixed that, and made it more realistic :(

Actually I think the existing players are still pretty overpowered for some reason. I'm glad they didn't do their research in the last few months for Scotland...

I managed to win the Confederations Cup in...2017 I think? That was after Craig Levein had led the team to the Euro 2016 Final against Germany. They lost, but got a place in the CC since Germany won the 2014 World Cup. I still had most of the familiar names, although they were reaching the end of their careers. Maloney and Phillips on the wing were brutally good, and Jordan Rhodes/Steven Fletcher were too. I never quite troubled the World Cup or Euros in my spell in charge, although I did return in 2054 and won it against all odds before retiring.

Never quite managed it. I took Spain to 2022 World Cup on a previous save and although we looked utterly unbeatable, we lost in the semi-final. To eventual winners Scotland! I resigned before the third-place playoff. Given the supremely talented squad at my disposal, anything other than a World Cup win was a real disappointment. Getting Mali to a quarter-final on another edition made me much more proud.

Success in international management always evaded me on that save. I had gone from Port Talbot to Real Madrid and won pretty much everything in between (including a few Champions Leagues with Real and even an unbeaten season in La Liga) but I never managed to do it with any country I managed. I had already managed France before Spain and then ended up having unsuccessful spells with Italy, Croatia, Brazil, Argentina and my homeland Wales, all to no avail.

I've just won the 2030 World Cup with the USA, Beat Germany in the 2nd round on penalties, then penalties again to dispatch France. Extra-time win against Mexico in the Semis before winning 3-2 after extra-time against Spain in the final. Spain beat me 1-0 in the 1st group game.

• 1 month later...
As a 'big nation' (Brazil, England, in FM12 France in FM11) I find it pretty easy, if you have a good squad that you have been with a few years and if you have players you have developed through your club it works well. I find the Champions League and harder to win, in my opinion that's the toughest competition in the game.

I seem to remember years and years ago, doing really well with Ireland, cant remember if I won the WC but definitely got to the latter stages might have been on an old ChampMan game.

On FM10 I won the WC with England, beating Spain 1-0 in the final with an injury time Glen Johnson (of all people) goal. One of the few times I have actually leaped out of my seat in celebration on FM.

I do better in the CL than the EPL with Arsenal. Won it 2 times in 4 seasons while I haven't won the EPL yet

Archived