Originated from Celtic Classic: *ALL NEW (4-1-1-3-1) Attacking Wing-play

FootballStadium.pngFootballManager.png

Hello,

I originally created this successful tactic between 2009-2011. It was however not compatible enough for Football Manager 2013 (FM13). I therefore had to go back to the drawing board and make a lot of tweaks and changes to find the right balance betwen scoring lots of goals and conceeding very few, whilst keeping the same ethos I have always used; classic wing-play with an attacking style adapted for the modern game.

I'm still in the process of tweaking these tactics, but I do feel I have a very good basis in which to work from and would like to share them with you, rather than waiting until around May time. I have only started playing FM13, hence the late-ness of posting these tactics for you.

Disclaimer

I produced these tactics from scratch back in 2009 and have since developed them as each new series of the game is released - although this is actually bi-yearly as I only purchase the game every 2 years. If you want to make alterations / changes to these tactics please feel free (but please give credit to the original creator and that is me). If you want to copy anything into your own tactics please feel free but give some credit to the original creator.

Introduction:

Not every tactic will suit every team. Therefore it is a matter of taste, trial and error, and is the reason why you should treat this tactic with the same vein.

I have created what I believe is a realistic classic wing-play style wth a modern twist. It’s a similar style to how Celtic play in modern times. An attack minded style, using wingers that will create lots of chances.

You will find 3 sets of tactics, which are fairly similar to one another and, can be changed during matches or against tougher / weaker opposition making the difference between success and defeat. For example, you can change from Ver 2.0 Home to Ver 1.0 Final giving you more stability in defence and midfield as well as creating a better balance throughout the team, therefore reducing the opposition’s chances.

I hope this brings you as much success as the rest of us have had with these tactics.

Tactic Overview:

HomeTactic_zps59dac967.jpg

---------------------------

Ver 1.0 Final (for away games):

An attacking style of play for both home and away games however primarily for away games. Uses a little more caution and ad the central midfielder is asked not to roam around to help keep shape in the team. Works very well against similar teams home and away. Ideal for tough European games.

Ver 2.0 Home (for home games):

More attack minded but still uses the same shape. Your full-backs will make frequent forward runs to support the wingers with a higher degree of attacking mentality (but not too attack minded). The CM igiven a free role alongside the AM and gets forward at every opportunity. Your wingers will be more attack-minded with a higher degree of creativity and attacking mentality. Sometimes this tactic can be dangerous to use away from home if you are playing against a team that is slightly better than you or of equal quality. There is also evidence to suggest teams who use wingers will also cause you serious problems.

Strong points:

These tactics will stretch teams, especially their defensive backline. You will create clear-cut chances with these tactics. You will restrict teams to long shots. You will have more of the ball, except when plying against far better opposition. You will restrict teams to minimal clear-cut chances, however they will get a lot of long-range shots. The AM and CM create havoc in defenses due to them being able to roam around. The wingers get ont he end of the ball from far crosses and will score many goals for you.

Weaknesses:

You will be venerable to long balls, through balls and balls played over the top. If you have slow Centre-back’s who have poor off the ball stats and not good at anticipating things they will be stretched.

Your Full-backs will go forward whenever possible which leaves gaps on the wings and will be exploited. You will concede a lot of goals this way regardless of the oppositions strength – this seems to be more vulnerable against those playing with wingers.

Your midfield can also get outnumbered at times putting strain on your defence – a way around this is to simply tell your central midfielder not to go forward so much and not to give them a free role.

Can be a nightmare against a team who has players capable of scoring goals from long-range.

------------------------

Player Positions / Roles:

With each role your players may need to be trained for that position so that they fit in For example, if you have a full back you will need to train them for the role as a wing-back. Like wise for the striker you will need him trained for the poachers role. This will give you better results in the long run so its worth the investment.

Full-Backs / Wing-Backs - Both full-backs are set to be wing-backs.

Centre Backs' - One is set to Limited Defender while the other is set to Ball Playing Defender (slightly more advanced).

Defensive Midfileder - Set as Defensive Midfielder.

Central Midfielder - Set as Ball Winning Midfielder and given free role for home tactic only.

Attacking Midfielder - Set at Attacking Midfielder and given free role for both home/away tactics.

Wingers - Set as Wingers and asked to go down the channels. This brings good results getting on the end of crossed balls and running into space.

Striker - Set as Poacher.

Results Evidence:

Please note that these results were at the early stages of the players' getting used to the tactics. Th tactic used in the Dortmund friendly was the Home tactic as an experiemnt and obviously did not work. Bear in mind Dortmund have a stronger team than Celtic.

Results_zpsd680a1f4.png

Downloads:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJpNU1EMGNJMHRqQTlVag (Home tactic)

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJpNU1Dd0lUMFA0WjlVag (Away tactic)

Please provide feedback and sugestions on improving these tactics. Thank you and enjoy.

Great OP

This looks really good, will give it a try this evening. Have you had much success on the latest patch? Do you mainly play with Celtic?

You also said that there is 3 sets of tactics but only 2 for download?

Great OP

This looks really good, will give it a try this evening. Have you had much success on the latest patch? Do you mainly play with Celtic?

You also said that there is 3 sets of tactics but only 2 for download?

Hi Bud,

Sorry forgot to add the final tactic. What I'm going to do is try it out in the CL against Chelsea over the next few days to see how well it works before posting it. It's a far more defensive tactic against really tough teams and worked brilliantly well back in FM11, it was developed by me and tweaked by a user on here and it worked amazingly well.

I have had really good success trialing the tactics. Although I haven't finished a season due to not having much playing time. Ijust started my first proper season and I've been tanking teams 3-0 and 4-0. I am Celtic and tanked Anberdeen 4-0, Hammered some minnows 7-0 on aggregate to qualify for the CL. Your CF should score a tone of goals as Hooper for me scored 9 goals in 4 qualifying CL games. I also beat Shalke 4-3 in a friendly. That should give you a rough idea how well the tactic work at the early stages before the team gets fully acustomed to it.

Thanks for the kind words.

Some ideas I have which might work:

-Both the AM and CM have free roles for the home tactic. Try alternating between giving just one of them the free role and see if that improved things. Try it out in at least 4 games each way to get accurate results.

- The AM is set to free role but not the CM for the away tactic. Same with the above, experiment to see what works better for you.

- I have in the past used 2 strikers instead of AM. Therefore try using another striker who is a good team player to drop a bit deeper than the poacher. They could either be a target man or all round striker.

- Try dropping the defence back line a little for the home tactic so the defence is not exploited by wingers or through balls do much and see if that improved things.

- Try using the off side trap for the home tactic and see if that helps cutting out exploits with through balls.

If you make any tweaks to these tactics please let me know how it went.

Thanks

Some ideas I have which might work:

-Both the AM and CM have free roles for the home tactic. Try alternating between giving just one of them the free role and see if that improved things. Try it out in at least 4 games each way to get accurate results.

- The AM is set to free role but not the CM for the away tactic. Same with the above, experiment to see what works better for you.

- I have in the past used 2 strikers instead of AM. Therefore try using another striker who is a good team player to drop a bit deeper than the poacher. They could either be a target man or all round striker.

- Try dropping the defence back line a little for the home tactic so the defence is not exploited by wingers or through balls do much and see if that improved things.

- Try using the off side trap for the home tactic and see if that helps cutting out exploits with through balls.

If you make any tweaks to these tactics please let me know how it went.

Thanks

When you say switching the stirker for the AM do you mean for both tactics or just Home? I am playing as Aberdeen.

Thanks

When you say switching the stirker for the AM do you mean for both tactics or just Home? I am playing as Aberdeen.

Thanks

For both bud. If you feel you want more firepower try using two CF with one dropping deeper than the other.

I will post up more evidence over the next couple of weeks to show how successful these tactics are becoming. I beat Zenit away from home 2-0 using the Away tactic which shows proof that it works well in European away games against similar strengh teams. Let me know how you lot are getting on and any tweaks you have made please, it is much appreciated and will help everyone using this tactic.

• 11 months later...

Not sure if anyone still plays FM13 using these tactics, but if not give them a go and if you still do please provide some feedback and suggestions for improving them. I'm going to re-look at them from fresh as I haven't played FM13 for a while and I don't own FM14.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived