How do you continue the game into a penalty shootout?

I am in a penalty shootout in the Champions League final. But how do you actually advance into the shootout. There is no continue button, no nothing. I have been searching for like 15 minutes and can't find how to advance the game. Am I just blind?

No, had never touched the skin. Only thing I can think of I did that might have triggered it is I made a couple of subs in the 120th minute which never come on. And then at full time it was impossible to advance into starting the penalty shootout.

No, had never touched the skin. Only thing I can think of I did that might have triggered it is I made a couple of subs in the 120th minute which never come on. And then at full time it was impossible to advance into starting the penalty shootout.

That could well be it- the game is stuck waiting for the instruction to be carried out but it cant because the game has finished. Still worth reporting it anyway/

omg, just had the same in CL final 2016 Ajax - Man Utd. Never touched skin. Nor bring any subs on after 100 min. Now im trying to keep thing polite but this is like amateur programming. problem came with one of latest updates since i hadnt this problem before.

That could well be it- the game is stuck waiting for the instruction to be carried out but it cant because the game has finished. Still worth reporting it anyway/

It hasn't really finished then has it as the penalty shoot out hasn't started??

• 1 month later...

It's happened to me in various games, the continue button vanishes after a substitution or at half time when I have checked stats. This may work. Click the "Home button" in top left hand corner to exit the match. Once there click the return to match button. The continue button should now be there.

It's happened to me in various games, the continue button vanishes after a substitution or at half time when I have checked stats. This may work. Click the "Home button" in top left hand corner to exit the match. Once there click the return to match button. The continue button should now be there.

I've been having the same problem but at the end of games every now and then. I've also been using the home button/return to match solution which has solved the problem every time

I've been having the same problem but at the end of games every now and then. I've also been using the home button/return to match solution which has solved the problem every time

Yep that's it at the end of games after I check out "analysis" and come back to something else. Normal skin no changes but "Home" seems to sort it.

• 3 months later...

Just happened to me too......Never touched the skin, and attempted everything for 15 minutes.....clicked home several times and attempted to go back, switched skin back and fourth between fm and fm dark, emptied my pre set penalty taker list and added only the players in the lineup, changed resolution from windowed to full screen, press F5 and space...nothing. The continue button is gone, and the tactics tab is "black".

Had a friend who tried the same...was rather shattered since he was on the brink of knocking out chelsea of the FA cup semi final with a league 1 side....

• 2 weeks later...

This is still happening

Currently 2-2 in the Europa Cup quarters against Sporting Lisbon, and having made subs, the game runs into penalties, the subs never materialised.......and now I'm stuck on penalties and can't continue

Done the home screen, F5, Space bar

Running the latest patch, and no skins etc

From playing against teams which have average players run around like Messi, Goals scored past my goalkeeper from 50 yards......

World class midfielders who can't pass 5yards or tackle.......

Players who get upset at the strike of a clock

to this lousy bug which means I have to restart and lose 3 months......

This is the worst Football Manager I have ever owned

This game needs a huge overhall, every 3 years a match engine that works, and just release a transfer update

Rather than having made subs at the end of the game, I had just edited my penalty kick takers on the 120th minute and then there was no "continue" or "play" button etc. Thankfully for me AllUrBase's advice worked and space bar let me continue to the shootout, a big thanks to you!

I really feel for anyone whereby there was no solution in this situation though, to go through a whole 120 minute game in most likely an important cup game and have this happen is devestating, SI really need to sort that bug as a matter of priority.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
This is still happening

Currently 2-2 in the Europa Cup quarters against Sporting Lisbon, and having made subs, the game runs into penalties, the subs never materialised.......and now I'm stuck on penalties and can't continue

Done the home screen, F5, Space bar

Running the latest patch, and no skins etc

From playing against teams which have average players run around like Messi, Goals scored past my goalkeeper from 50 yards......

World class midfielders who can't pass 5yards or tackle.......

Players who get upset at the strike of a clock

to this lousy bug which means I have to restart and lose 3 months......

This is the worst Football Manager I have ever owned

This game needs a huge overhall, every 3 years a match engine that works, and just release a transfer update

I'm with you for all the reasons you've stated and more. Owned every incarnation of this game they've ever released and in my opinion this is the worst.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any update on this? It's just happened to me in the quarter finals of the JPT with Pompey. Finished 0-0 and went to pens, but in the 90th min I tried to make a sub and bring on a better penalty taker, but the game finished anyway and didn't make the sub, now I can't continue at all, tried every method above and nothing. Gutted now, if I have to quit and try again as I was chuffed with getting 0-0 at home to Leyton Orient!

Tactics is greyed out so can't select it. I'd already picked my penalty takers order and confirmed that, then the button disappeared.

Anyway, I had only played 2 matches tonight, so quit and restarting. Just hoping to god that I can get the same result!

Tactics is greyed out so can't select it. I'd already picked my penalty takers order and confirmed that, then the button disappeared.

Anyway, I had only played 2 matches tonight, so quit and restarting. Just hoping to god that I can get the same result!

• 1 month later...

just to confirm - they never fixed this one.

had it happen to me just now in my Wick Academy sides first league cup final :seagull:

Tried to put a striker on from the bench with one minute left in extra time, game stalled - never gets to penalties.

Vexing.

Just had it happen to me.

FA Cup Quarter Final replay, Northampton (me) vs Tottenham. 1-1 after 120 minutes.

I don't know if it has anything to do with them having one sent off in the extra time, making it impossible for them to select 11 pk takers? Bloody annoying...

Only positive thing about it - makes me have to replay four games, out of which two were draws against teams placed 19 and 21, and one was a loss... Then again, we also have Tottenham to play again...

• 3 months later...

Happened to me once. I navigated to a player profile, clicked on a team profile and went back to the match. I was able to continue.

It seems to occur if you made tactical changes and still waiting for them to be "active" while the match ends. Try not to make changes too close to the 120min mark.