+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting an FM12 saved game to FM13

Amateur

Default Converting an FM12 saved game to FM13

Hi, I'm a little upset at the moment.

I have purchased every FM since the split from the CM franchise (I had all of those since 1999) and I have loved each and every one.

I will continue to buy the franchise each year but my problem is, as I am getting older and I have more life responsibilities, I can not play as much in a year as previously. My main concern is I put time in over a year on one saved game which automatically becomes obsolete when the latest edition of FM comes out. Do I stop buying them from now on so I can continue my game or is there some way the creators will listen and create a previous saved game compatibility? I am happy to plough my money in each year but I want to continue my game. I keep reverting to my FM12 game because I am 10 seasons in with FC Groningen and can not part ways. I wish I could transfer this game to FM13. I may have to give up and just play FM12 for the foreseeable future.

Is it just me that feels this? Why play FM at all if it is just going to be obsolete in 1 years time. It cant be hard to convert the file. Surely?

Amateur

It is. It is very hard. If I recall correctly, it has been noted that this will not happen because it is just way too hard to do. But I agree it would be great.

Amateur

It may be hard, but it's not impossible, that's what matters. It'd be a nifty feature, easily beating the 900 we get combined

Amateur

But as a new feature, it can only appeal to existing customers. So probably not a good idea to give up the 900, some of which might reel new victims in
    Last edited by DrIgz; 11-11-2012 at 00:23.

Amateur

From what I've gathered the last fews times this was requested/suggested, there's two major issues with making transferable saves happen.

1. Each year the way the database is accessed or interacted with can change due to new features and recoding. Things are added/taken away could cause compatibility issues that might require a dedicated process or programme to prevent major bugs, crashes or errors.

2. It could limit SI in how they can go about improving the game if they have to worry about keeping some things intact so that old saves can be easily converted. This might also cause issues with creating fixes and patches.

Amateur

Thank you for the reply guys. I just didn't know if it was me sitting at home getting angry on my own whilst everyone else continued as normal. I understand that there are differences in the databases but to me if you can edit the database to however you want, adding leagues and such then why cant you take a previous save game? I know that the dynamics of the game have changed due to the 900 or so updates but it's just an edited saved database file at the end of the day. I'm just annoyed as I've reverted to FM12 even though I now have FM13. I want the new game but with my beloved saved game. Honestly, I started unemployed and ended up at FC Groningen in the Eredivise. I've won the Eredivisie 6 seasons in a row and my whole squad right down to the youth team is immense. I leave that and there's no point playing anymore.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Seismonik View Post
    Thank you for the reply guys. I just didn't know if it was me sitting at home getting angry on my own whilst everyone else continued as normal. I understand that there are differences in the databases but to me if you can edit the database to however you want, adding leagues and such then why cant you take a previous save game? I know that the dynamics of the game have changed due to the 900 or so updates but it's just an edited saved database file at the end of the day. I'm just annoyed as I've reverted to FM12 even though I now have FM13. I want the new game but with my beloved saved game. Honestly, I started unemployed and ended up at FC Groningen in the Eredivise. I've won the Eredivisie 6 seasons in a row and my whole squad right down to the youth team is immense. I leave that and there's no point playing anymore.
    Why not wait until you're done with your current save before upgrading to FM2013 if you haven't already purchased?

To be fair, even if you have already bought the new game, why not just keep going with FM2012 for a little while longer?

We've all been there and it's awful to leave a save that's really good for a new FM I sort of ruined 2008 and 2012 a bit by leaving really good saves on previous games too soon. Took me ages to get into the new ones while I longed for my unfinished business that I'd left behind.

Amateur

It's a weird thing I have. When something new comes out, I have to have it. I always get it straight away. Usually, that then kills any interest in any previous versions of the product I had. Like I said earlier, I have had every FM (or CM) since 1999. Never bothered me before. Only now am I moaning. I don't like to moan about this but I was really hoping they would have had this function. I have FM13 purchased and installed already but I'm definitely not ready to finish my FM12 game. Problem is, I'm off to the Falklands in May 13 so will be taking FM12 I guess and I return in Sept 13 so I've wasted 20 quid! haha.

I'm getting sidetracked. Sorry. My point is, I think it is quite easy for the developers. I don't know how it could be a problem. It's just a database. Nothing more. I feel it's laziness. I've been a consumer for 13 years. Why not look after me?

Amateur

I've also appreciated this chat. Made me realise that I don't have to buy the latest version if I'm happy with FM12. Just a new tech freak I think.

Amateur

Did you keep the old games or move on?

Part-Timer

Its impossible for this to be done, because there 2 diffrent games with updated database.
    Also hows the game supposed process all the information, in fm13 to get it up to
    whatever date you were in 2012?

Amateur

It's a weird thing I have. When something new comes out, I have to have it. I always get it straight away. Usually, that then kills any interest in any previous versions of the product I had. Like I said earlier, I have had every FM (or CM) since 1999. Never bothered me before. Only now am I moaning. I don't like to moan about this but I was really hoping they would have had this function. I have FM13 purchased and installed already but I'm definitely not ready to finish my FM12 game. Problem is, I'm off to the Falklands in May 13 so will be taking FM12 I guess and I return in Sept 13 so I've wasted 20 quid! haha.

I'm getting sidetracked. Sorry. My point is, I think it is quite easy for the developers. I don't know how it could be a problem. It's just a database. Nothing more. I feel it's laziness. I've been a consumer for 13 years. Why not look after me?
    I know exactly what you mean by the losing interest in current games as soon as a new shiny version comes out, but I really did get burned by FM2008 and couldn't get into at all because nothing came close to my FM2007 career save.

Kept and went back to my save on FM2011 for a bit when I struggled with 2012 at first but also played my main 2010 save for a little longer when 2011 came out too because it was so good.

If you've got something nice going on, why stop it? It's not an easy mindset to get into with new FM's and all their sparkling new features, but I think it'd make you enjoy both FM2012 and 2013 to their maximum if you can manage it. You'll get to most out of both by seeing your current game through to a natural end for some closure.

On the developers being lazy, I think a save conversion feature is a lot more complex and difficult than we fans would assume it to be. SI are pretty good at chatting to players on here and they've always been up-front about why it'd likely never happen.

Amateur

Laziness?

Im sorry am I the only one who thinks this remark is a bit out of order.

Why dont you spend some time researching what it would take to implement that and then tell me if its lazy.

For whats its worth. Why dont you make the changes to the database yourself when the new ones come out. edit the league and players to what you had before? I think your lazy for not doing that your self.... :P

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by danthemanwhocan View Post
    Laziness?

Why dont you spend some time researching what it would take to implement that and then tell me if its lazy.

For whats its worth. Why dont you make the changes to the database yourself when the new ones come out. edit the league and players to what you had before? I think your lazy for not doing that your self.... :P
    Yet every new edition of OOTP (the former SI partner) is saved game compatible. It could be done with some randomization of database changes.

Semi Pro

FM13 comes with FMC. FMC would be right up your alley. It allows for players to play FM when they cannot play it as much as they would like to.

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

This gets explained every year, because a lot of things like competition rules are hard coded each new version is effectively a different game.

Reverse compatibility would be a mammoth task to even attempt.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    This gets explained every year, because a lot of things like competition rules are hard coded each new version is effectively a different game.
    But competition rules change in real life as well, usually at the start of next season. Surely there is nothing that keeps FM from changing competition rules in the middle of a game as well.

We now have an export team function. It's not so far-fetched to imagine the import team function work on teams from a different version of FM in the future. I suspect the "doing it" isn't the main problem, moving data between databases is done all the time and missing data can be generated. The problem is getting it right. These forums would be flooded with people who imported their team and found that the match engine have changed so that their corner routine no longer works. The players and teams would have the same name, but the "feel" of the game would be different.

Part-Timer

Reverse compatibility would be a mammoth task to even attempt.
    You export players; not league rules. Why not support those who want to play centuries old saves? They would make great reading in the appropriate forum.

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bababui View Post
    You export players; not league rules. Why not support those who want to play centuries old saves? They would make great reading in the appropriate forum.
    Because each old save would have a separate set of hard coded stuff (not just league rules) they could adapt a database from any version to play with any other version very easily but it wouldn't have the correct rules etc. for each era.

Part-Timer

Because each old save would have a separate set of hard coded stuff (not just league rules) they could adapt a database from any version to play with any other version very easily but it wouldn't have the correct rules etc. for each era.
    IWhy? Couldnt it just import club and ratings? If new ratings are introduced, create random ratings. Obviously no one expects perfection but why not try to make this happen?

IWhy? Couldnt it just import club and ratings? If new ratings are introduced, create random ratings. Obviously no one expects perfection but why not try to make this happen?
    That wouldn't achieve what's being asked, and I'm afraid everybody does demand perfection as these forums indicate but also I suspect it's not commercially viable anyway and like it or not that's a key factor.

Part-Timer

That wouldn't achieve what's being asked, and I'm afraid everybody does demand perfection as these forums indicate but also I suspect it's not commercially viable anyway and like it or not that's a key factor.
    As I mentioned earlier, Markus Heinsohn, ex SIer and OOTP head manages to do it each year for OOTP..compromises would likely be needed but it is doable. SI could do with adopting a more customer friendly approach. In tough economic times, options seem to be a wise business model.

As I mentioned earlier, Markus Heinsohn, ex SIer and OOTP head manages to do it each year for OOTP..compromises would likely be needed but it is doable. SI could do with adopting a more customer friendly approach. In tough economic times, options seem to be a wise business model.
    I think even if it was doable it's not remotely commercially viable (just my opinion) I have seen explanations as to why it can't/won't be done in years gone by but the technical reasons were beyond my ken even then

Moderator and Technical Support

SI have said a number of times that it would neither be practical nor commercialy viable to offer this option

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by FrazT View Post
    SI have said a number of times that it would neither be practical nor commercialy viable to offer this option
    Didnt they say the same thing about FMC?

Banned

We may see it happen in the future, but for now you just need to accept that you have to either stick to FM12 or move on... No point arguing a lost cause!

Moderator and Technical Support

Didnt they say the same thing about FMC?
    As far as I can remember they said that having FM with a "select difficulty level" option was not going to happen- but as Tactic Master said, its not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by danthemanwhocan View Post
    Laziness?

My remark is not out of order. It is laziness. Out with the old, in with the new. When the new FM comes out, they don't care about the old. SI are a good company and not just cash hunters like some other games companies but I really can't see how it's that impossible.

Anyway, your suggestion on making the database changes to FM13 isn't a bad idea. I could just recreate the team I have, they all regens anyway.

My remark is not out of order. It is laziness. Out with the old, in with the new. When the new FM comes out, they don't care about the old. SI are a good company and not just cash hunters like some other games companies but I really can't see how it's that impossible.

Anyway, your suggestion on making the database changes to FM13 isn't a bad idea. I could just recreate the team I have, they all regens anyway.
    It's not laziness and if you keep suggesting it is your stay here might well be terminated, we don't tolerate insults.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Wiitastic View Post
    FM13 comes with FMC. FMC would be right up your alley. It allows for players to play FM when they cannot play it as much as they would like to.
    FMC is there to be less complex so people can play quicker. Negates my argument. I love the complexity and depth of the game. Just don't like investing time only for it to be superseded 1 year later.

Amateur

It's not laziness and if you keep suggesting it is your stay here might well be terminated, we don't tolerate insults.
    I wasn't intending to be insulting so I will refrain from suggesting that in future. Just feel passionately about this compatabilty issue and wanted to know if others felt the same. On the other hand, I still feel this is an achievable issue.

Reserves

Honestly, I hate to think what experience those who are adamant that it's easily done have...

The biggest thing is hard coded rule changes, like the finance model etc.

One of many thousand examples would be the new tax model in FM13.

That could and would not be possible if you wanted backwards compatible save games. Not without a complete rewrite of the code for the game, which takes several years of development.

And as I said... that's one example.

It's neither commercially sensible or even necessary when you weigh up the pro's and con's.

The issue you have, is that as soon as a new game comes out, for some reason you feel the need to swap to it instead of carrying on your beloved save, which frankly.... isn't an issue most people I know have.. nor myself, I'm still playing my 12 year long Everton save to this day, as well as playing FM13.
    Last edited by Welshace; 11-11-2012 at 12:19.

Amateur

I don't think anyone means it's easy, but it's definitely possible. What is it about the new financial model that makes it hard?

Reserves

They are hard coded rules. That are built into the game so that every club has to run by them.

Bringing in your liverpool save from fm12 will result in you breaking that code as your save has no record of anything to do with the new tax system.

That's about as simple as I can put it.

It would require legacy code within the development of the game, and that's not viable or worth it as far as the game is concerned, not to mention is slows down any development in later games at all as you still have to carry over old code.

Part-Timer

Welshace..Im not sure what you are on about...bringing in an old save would simply mean that now your save would be subject to the tax code. Please investigate how the 2 man OOTP team is able to make each annual edition of their game old save compatible. The far larger SI team could do this with minimal work and a compromise or two.

Reserves

You can't just bring in and fm12 save and expect it to work as is with the new game. As I said, it isn't viable, that isn't to say it wasn't possible.

AFAIK OOTP has always been backwards compatible... It's coded that way, and as I mentioned, FM isn't and would require a rewrite which would cost way above what they would gain from such a feature and would hinder development.

OOTP is a much smaller scale operation and have room to develop slowly.

Welshace..Im not sure what you are on about...bringing in an old save would simply mean that now your save would be subject to the tax code. Please investigate how the 2 man OOTP team is able to make each annual edition of their game old save compatible. The far larger SI team could do this with minimal work and a compromise or two.
    If that's what you think then you really have no idea of the complexity of FM and the way it's coded.

Suffice it to say whether you think it simple or not (and it's not) there's little to no likelihood of it ever happening.

+ Reply to Thread