[FM13] Regional Databases Thread

nine_iron

Welcome to the 2013 Regional Databases Thread

This is a place where all those who create or enjoy databases for counties, provinces or any other local regions. We bring projects such as these together under one title as they quite often has challenges which that are unique to them, ones that one may not encounter in full fantasy, historical, nation or extended nation databases.

To get a thread mentioned here just PM me with the details.

Release database threads- Threads for completed or updated databases

FM13-Wessex-(Fictional-Nation) - ShanghaiNugget

North-East England Nation - cel1234

FM13-Canary-Islands(A-regional-Nation) - jimbowmanuk

FM13-Republic of London(A-regional-Nation) - edgar555

FM13-United-Counties-of-Lincolnshire-and-Humberside - nine_iron

WIP threads- All threads for discussion of specific databases that are currently being made

FM13-WIP-FM13-Northumbrian-Nation-amp-League - Arctoa

Requiring Beta Testers- Please contact respective database editors by PM

- none

Regional database specific threads- Useful threads that have questions, answers and discussions that are unique to regional databases

Regional Database World Cup Thread - Waiting on a fix to a crash issue :(

IMPORTANT NEWS:!

- Regional Database World Cup thread delayed by a crash on leaving the final game of the league, waiting for SI to fix.

If you would like your link to be included please PM me with the link, some details and I will aim to update this thread as quickly as I can.

Lastly I would like to thank Michael Foster for helping organise this part of the forum for the last few years, I also wish all regional database creators and players the best of luck this year in all your endeavours.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guide to Creating a Regional Database - last updated 30/10/2012

Video version

[video=youtube;-dSjaGARXLs]

Be warned, it is VERY long, use the links to skip bits you don't need to view, experienced editors only need to watch parts 3 and 4.

Written Guide

I am swapping into a custom nation from England for this example, it will leave England in a playable and relatively untouched state:

NOTE: Enable editing the continent in the editor- see here.

For all those wanting a shortcut here is a template, please still follow the guide below or in the video:

Template Regional Database V 1.0

1- Replace a Defunct nation... C.I.S ore Pre-1922 Ireland are pretty good, overwrite one with your nations details and clear out anything that is not relevant. Set its continent to Europe! (see above link)

2- Identify which cities you want to include in your nation and change their nation

3- Idenfity all the people associated with those cities and change nationality to your nation (see posts later in this thread on who to include and who to exclude from those who are born in your nation)

4- Add a league in the competition tab, name it and set its nation to your nation and with the correct continent.

5- Add a the required number of English teams from "A lower league" (they will take on your nations nationality but dont worry about it).

• A tip: try just 6-8 teams to start with and filter out any from the "a lower division" with a "Next Division" and "Last Division" set

6- In England identify the required teams, swap each time with a team from a lower league without a "Next Division" and "Last Division" set, if your identified team has one set manually change it to a team without one.

7- Continue this until all your teams are in a non playable league (below BSS/BSN on default database)

8- Swap the teams from your custom league into the non playable league, this will automatically correct the teams nationalities (handy isn't it :) ).

9- Europe only (as far as I know): Set San Marino's coefficient to 0.000 for all years then set your nations to 0.2 for all, for more continental qualification places match your nations coefficients to a nation of the same level you want, if you get negative numbers for cup places in the game try different coefficients.

10-Add the national rules so your league is playable.

11- Test! - Note any potential changes or issues and revise

12- Repeat steps 4 AND 8 for the next league down, when adding custom teams there is no need to do step 8. Just set the nationality to your nation and the competition to your league.

13- When all your teams are in and all your leagues are done add some cups

14- Check all club relationships for possible feeder clubs in the same division as each other.

15- Test again! - Note any potential changes or issues and revise

16- add any extra details such as graphics, awards etc

17- Pop it up here for beta or release, depending on how the tests went :)

Always remember! Save often to a new file (1.00, 1.01, 1.02 etc), write down the major changes for each version and test frequently!

Guide to Testing a Database - last updated 30/10/2012

Here is a quick guide on how to test your database quickly and easily. I find a notepad or an excel spreadsheet to record details and notes very useful!

Basic tips

• Load up just your nation

• Load a small database

• Turn off saving

• Holiday while unemployed

• *Optional* Subscribe to all your nations cups and leagues while removing any pesky awards you are subscribed to for your continent (This means you can just watch things about your nation ticker through.

This should take between 10 and 30 minutes to run a season, depending on your database size and PC speed. I have a pretty powerful PC so takes just under 10 minutes for my database!

• Review the leagues history, clubs financial status and squads to ensure things are going how you envisioned. Test in more detail as described below if necessary

• Make any changes for issues you noticed and test again

Financial Testing

• Load up as described at the top

• You can either start with no league prize money or start with some, a few million is a good start

• Test the effect of league prize money and TV money separately from cup prize money, set cup prize money after financially testing the first two fully! (Its easy to get carried away and set Cup prize money but I strongly advise to do it last!)

• Holiday for one season, until just after the start of new season date (June 20th is the 2012 default)

• Add yourself as a manager to a few clubs of different reputations, check and note the finances (for each playable league if you have more than one)

• RESIGN FROM ALL CLUBS!!!

• Test until the end of the second season, check the same clubs again and compare how each leagues general income changes

• Adjust and test again until teams are financially stable for at least three seasons or are at whatever level you want in income.

• Add cup prize money for all cups.

• Test again to ensure teams are rewarded fairly.

• You should be done now :)

Stability Testing

• Load up as described at the top

• If desired add the "Parent Country" as playable or view only (eg England for databases for Hampshire, Yorkshire etc)

• Start a game and go to bed, work, shopping (TOP TIP: dont fall asleep before starting the game!)

• After 5 seasons see where you are and make adjustments to the database where required

• Repeat or do some more seasons if required

• Test for 20 seasons

Playability Testing

• Load up as if you are going to play a game

• If desired add the "Parent Country" as playable or view only (eg England for databases for Hampshire, Yorkshire etc)

• Start a game and add yourself as a manager to a team, do this at least once for a team in every league)

• Ensure any squad rules you may have added are working by holidaying through to important dates like squad selection

• Once you are happy teams can be selected holiday to the end of the season

• Check all teams to ensure top players are playing lots of games, a good way to spot issues is by looking at appearances

• Check fixtures for congestion, some congestion is expected and adds a challenge to the database. Pay particular attention to teams who play in European competitions

• Check for long periods without a game, consider adding a winter break for small leagues or leagues where teams play few games

• Repeat for at least two seasons

• Your database should now be playable, do try and get a friend to play the database too

• REMEMBER! There is no better test than a long term game you play yourself, 5 seasons is usually enough. Do not be tempted to restart for minor or cosmetic issues unless they are spotted early on. I have learnt more by playing my own well developed database for 5 seasons than I did for just letting it run for 5 seasons. A quick shortcut would be to let it holiday for the first 3 seasons then play season 4 and 5.

Might want to check your title in the opening post, looks like some copypasta revenge :p

Looking forward to a new season recreating NSW but NaNoWriMo must come first this year.

Still pondering if I should just use the teams in the DB or create the whole completely fictional thing again.

Might want to check your title in the opening post, looks like some copypasta revenge :p

Looking forward to a new season recreating NSW but NaNoWriMo must come first this year.

Still pondering if I should just use the teams in the DB or create the whole completely fictional thing again.

I am a bit ill, stuffed up with man-flu atm.

I am doing the usual but with plans for Hampshire and Merseyside too this year as extra fun projects.

I tried NaNoWriMo once, I got up to 200 words.

I will be cracking on with my Wessex database straight away... well, I'm actually in Iceland from Friday to Monday which is wasting valuable time, but I've got everything planned out for Wessex so I know exactly what I'm doing. Will also be creating the Cook Islands but that doesn't belong in this thread, still good fun though.

I might take a stab at the fairly easy basque country. Also how do you stop problems with European and International competition? Surely 54 European teams would break the system. With the advanced editor I might create a basque nations cup so the basque nation plays Spain and France.

Also how do you stop problems with European and International competition? Surely 54 European teams would break the system.

Nope, Europe can handle an extra country, follow my video and written guides for a basic idea of how to start creating a nation

I might take a stab at the fairly easy basque country. Also how do you stop problems with European and International competition? Surely 54 European teams would break the system. With the advanced editor I might create a basque nations cup so the basque nation plays Spain and France.

The European zone has 1 space which can be used when adding a new nation.

And there's really no need to use the advanced editor as said cup can be created easily using the basic competition adder widget thingy.

Also hello everyone :) I have got a project going on already but I may make a stab at a new nation project first of all just to cut my editor teeth so to speak. No idea what I'll create yet though.

Nope, Europe can handle an extra country, follow my video and written guides for a basic idea of how to start creating a nation

Ahaha just been gazumped by the man himself... For some reason your post yesterday didn't show up until after I'd posted?? Glad to hear that you're doing your stuff again. Merseyside seems to be a good project as many great talents have come from there in the past and it would be interesting to see how their team competes with the rest of England.

Thanks for the replies to my question and although I thought the senior international level and U21 international level could handle it, I didn't think the U19s and the continent could. Also with the basque country do you think there'll be a problem with regens as they could all have it as a second nationality and possibly be declared for Spain or France? And unknown hacker, can you tell me how you can add an international competition without the advanced editor because it looks like the widget you're talking about looks like it also deletes all other international competitions, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the replies to my question and although I thought the senior international level and U21 international level could handle it, I didn't think the U19s and the continent could. Also with the basque country do you think there'll be a problem with regens as they could all have it as a second nationality and possibly be declared for Spain or France?

If you create the Basque nation all regens will have a Basque first nationality. This does create a problem for Athletic Bilbao though as they cannot sign non-Basque second nationality players. You'll probably have to duplicate them or just leave all Basque cities in Spain...

And as for the international question, I've never noticed any problems in youth football caused by adding new nations.

If you create the Basque nation all regens will have a Basque first nationality. This does create a problem for Athletic Bilbao though as they cannot sign non-Basque second nationality players. You'll probably have to duplicate them or just leave all Basque cities in Spain...

And as for the international question, I've never noticed any problems in youth football caused by adding new nations.

Thanks, any idea how to counter the Bilbao problem though? I really want them to sign Basque only. I also don't want to leave basque cities in Spain as it could cause some major regen problems and seriously infringe the strength of their NT. And I'm glad to see youth football doesn't have problems.

The only way to do it is to leave Bilbao in Spain. That way Athletic can still sign regens from Bilbao and can also sign young spanish players. However other than completely duplicating them and removing the rule that way you're stuck I'm afraid.

Wait, are you sure? Chivas have a similar rule so if they're programmed the same way there shouldn't be a problem. Another potential solution could be either finding out how they do the Chivas thingy. Maybe lets say turning Eire into a Basque nation and putting Bilbao in that but then would I run the risk of having basque regens ineligble for Bilbao?

EDIT: I conducted a test and there isn't a problem at all.

Having has a quick play around with the database I can see the chance to do something we have never done before... A Regional Nation competition!

With the ability to export a team for a vs match theoretically we could take all our opening day teams and play a competition with them! So Cornwall could play Lincs & Humber and settle that debate about who is best!

If the game itself cannot organise something (have not yet looked into it) then it could be set up as a knockout or group stage competition with rounds having to be played by a certain date, all organised in a little thread.

Of course there will have to be rules, I am good at making those up (already have about 4 in mind), as well as enough people wanting to play.

Failing that some sort of ladder system is easy to set up and fairly easy to run.

What is nice is that to make a nation for this only takes a couple of hours, you do not need to make a league structure, just overwrite a nation, change its continent, add the cities, add the players and load up the game. From there a team can be exported for a vs match!

If this will work without any problems I would like to gauge the interest in this... Lincs & Humber are ready to take on all comers! (except a Catalan team lol)

This would be very interesting indeed. Would there not be an issue say if two created nations (like your lincs&humber and my Cornwall&Devon) being created have the same ID numbers?

Id be up for this once I get my nation created :)

This would be very interesting indeed. Would there not be an issue say if two created nations (like your lincs&humber and my Cornwall&Devon) being created have the same ID numbers?

Id be up for this once I get my nation created :)

Well you would hope there should be no issues. I thought there would not be because even if you just used the default database a player could be a member of both clubs, say if both teams had Messi. Also both teams could have regens or newgens with the same ID. I am sure the vs mode accommodates IDs somehow so clashes do not happen.

Therefore we can use this to our advantage to pit one regional nation against another in a kind of Regional Database World Cup!

So, the issue I'm having is that if you take over a certain nation, all the regens seem to have a name typical to the original nation. i.e. I took over San Marino, and all the regen names are very italian in style.

Is there any way of fixing this, or do I just have to pick a nation closer to my future-nation type?

So, the issue I'm having is that if you take over a certain nation, all the regens seem to have a name typical to the original nation. i.e. I took over San Marino, and all the regen names are very italian in style.

Is there any way of fixing this, or do I just have to pick a nation closer to my future-nation type?

Overwrite CIS instead. No issues like that there.

What do you mean by "future-nation type"?

Overwrite CIS instead. No issues like that there.

What do you mean by "future-nation type"?

"future-nation-type" is my awful way of saying 'new country' I guess!

So if I go with CIS (or ye-old Ireland), given I'm making a North-east of england db, where does it take the regen names from? Am I not going to be inundated with russian names?

"future-nation-type" is my awful way of saying 'new country' I guess!

So if I go with CIS (or ye-old Ireland), given I'm making a North-east of england db, where does it take the regen names from? Am I not going to be inundated with russian names?

Have you tried following my video and written guides? It details how to do what you are (over the course of an hour of video tutorials :D )

The player names are taken from the language and the pool of players you add.

For my Lincs & Humber database I end up with a fair few regens called "Jamie Butterfield" or "John Elding" or" Simon Slocombe" etc

It is taking all the last names and giving them alternate first names to make all the regens and newgens.

I'm working my way through them right now! But I have basically already done all of the things mentioned in your tutorials, but using the nation of San Marino. It'll be easy enough to move all the work to a different nation, and restore San Marino (although I've basically murdered their national pool... but whatever).

Anyway, when choosing a nation on your tutorial, you didn't mention any justification behind the defunct nation you were picking, so that's why I ask. Or is it mentioned somewhere else in your tutorials? I've got them playing in the background.

I don't think I mention it, good spot in a way. I might add that in as an annotation just so its clear. One of the reasons I used the green screen for most of the intro was so I could add things in later. Forward planning and all!

Hope you are "enjoying" the videos, they are far from compelling viewing but hopefully they are organised in a way to make them easy to navigate.

EDIT: Updated to reflect your feedback! Thanks and please let me know of anything else.

P.S. Don't forget to like my videos :D and share them with your friends :D (shameless)

Can you think of any quicker way to change all players from cities to another nation?

I have all my cities changed to their new nation and now I am transferring players, but the cities are 500+ and will be a very long process.

I thought of the idea to mass edit the city names to include some identified, like American citys have their state like (NY) for New York, but to edit this in would take same time, I then tried to change them all to something like '123456789' to make them identifiable in searches this worked nicely but then I discovered there is no way to mass delete the changes made to city names so that will be just as long.

Is anybody aware of a faster way?

They might not be the flashiest videos I've ever seen, but they've certainly been very useful in confirming the work I've done and finding out whether I've missed anything.

Thanks!

I am no editing genius lets put it that way... I went for practical over pretty.

Going back to my Regional database World Cup idea I have been playing around pitting Lincs & Humber managed by me against Lincs & Humber managed by the AI, I am winning 1-0 atm with teams that only slightly differ. I have gone for different strikers and defence to them.

Having looked through the options available it seems there are two ways to do it:

1. Needs a lot of us to be on at the same time, playing for an hour or two in a straight knockout cup. Might take too much organising and probably not end up being great.

2. We use the 1 vs 1 feature where you play 5 games. We each get drawn someone and have to complete the head to head by a certain date. The winner goes on to the next round. This theoretically could take weeks or even months to complete BUT everyone would get a game and I would run a cup for the winners of the 1st round games and a concurrent Vase for those knocked out in the 1st round, this way everone gets at least two matchups.

I would be happy to organise this if we had enough interest. I will set up some threads and lay out some ground rules and instruction for teams. This theoretically could be open to anyone who wants to make a small region a nation as you only have to go as far as adding players to the nation you make and not actually creating a working league structure!

Just finished my basque nation db, so it's time for testing. I wouldn't take part in the world cup though because I don't want to get involved in a multi player game but I think it'd be pretty pointless for me since my basque nation would walk a lot of these dbs due to having a bigger catchment area.

Just finished my basque nation db, so it's time for testing. I wouldn't take part in the world cup though because I don't want to get involved in a multi player game but I think it'd be pretty pointless for me since my basque nation would walk a lot of these dbs due to having a bigger catchment area.

I can see your point, I would think a Basque vs Catalan final would be very much expected.

The good thing about doing it the 2nd way is it keeps online game time to a minimum as only two people have to agree on a date and a 30 minute or so to play in, it can finish quickly if a person wins 3 games in a row.

If I do set it up I am leaning to the 2nd method and I will consider seeding and vetting teams using some kind of submission entry form. Of course I know my Lincs & Humber has very little chance of doing well but with some kind of seeding the people knocked out in the 1st round could have a very good fun Vase competition along side the main competition.

To run this properly we need a minimum of 8 teams. I think if I wrote a quick blurb on how to make a team we could get many non regional database creators to quickly knock up a team.

BTW gogogo golem, I just think you don't want to take part because you are afraid that Cornwall and Devon will whip your sorry basque behinds!

Can I take it my problem is only solvable by taking the time to input each city name individually and switch the nations that way?

You can have multiple cities in the search critieria.

City of birth IS

OR city of birth IS

OR city if birth IS

OR city of bith is

etc

Would that help?

Remember to change the max number of records returned to unlimited but ONY if you have a modern PC with lots of RAM :)

Hmmm not really it would still mean that I had to type each city name into the search box and some are with letters I don't have on my keyboard so they need to be cut and pasted. I was hoping this could be something added in to the new editor, my project just got a lot, lot longer now if these are the only solutions. Thank you for helping and the videos you made will really help new people..

One other thing if you can, I am making a complex project as maybe you know to make Europe look like this http://i45.tinypic.com/2du9tsp.jpg

Do you think the best way would be do all the database first and then add leagues rules in or do one league at a time? I hope this makes sense.

Sorry, I just don't like online gaming. Also if I was playing it would be North England and Catalan that would scare me but I think my basques would have more balance. I've been on holiday but my db seems to have frozen on the seventh January 2013. I've got a major problem in none of the regens having just basque nationality, well not many.

EDIT: It looks like it might just be a bug in game since nothing special happens on that date and if I reload it's fine, might just be a holiday issue as well, will need future testing. Just realised it's regen creation date for my nation.

I think it's down to the clubs having played in foreign divisions before. I created a Clairefontaine style club that produced basque only regens. Also having a problem with the cup since Athletic start in the preliminaries no matter what while the reserves and Academy team wrongly make the groups, really odd.

Just thought I'd show a little something, hope I can do it in this thread, if not please remove.

I created a 'Catalonia' db with players from Catalan, Valencian and Balaeric Islands, this is how the NT looks, I gave Reina and Iniesta choice between Spain (will be Castille in my full db) and Catalonia and both chose Catalonia :)

Here is how it looks ...

Pkd	Inf	Name				Position		Club			Height	Weight		Age	Value
GK	Yel	Víctor Valdés			GK			Barcelona		183 cm	78 kg		30	£1.5M
DCR		Gerard Piqué			SW, D (C)		Barcelona		192 cm	84 kg		25	£2.7M
DC		Raúl Albiol			D (C)			Newcastle		190 cm	80 kg		27	£8M
DCL	Yel	Fernando Navarro		D/WB (L)		Sevilla			179 cm	74 kg		30	£2.7M
WBR		Juanfran			D/WB/M/AM (R)		At. Madrid		181 cm	72 kg		27	£6M
WBL	Yel	Jordi Alba			D/WB/M/AM (L)		Barcelona		170 cm	69 kg		23	£2.2M
MCR		Sergi Roberto			M (C)			Barcelona 'B'		177 cm	69 kg		20	£750K
MC		Sergio Busquets			D (C), DM, M (C)	Barcelona		189 cm	72 kg		24	£3.2M
MCL		Andrés Iniesta			M/AM (LC)		Barcelona		170 cm	65 kg		28	£3.9M
STCR	Yel	Roberto Soldado			ST			Valencia		179 cm	71 kg		27	£2.2M
STCL		Bojan				AM (RL), ST		A.C. Milan		170 cm	65 kg		22	£6.75M
S1		José Manuel Reina		GK			Liverpool		190 cm	84 kg		30	£9.5M
S2		Joan Capdevila			D/WB (L)		Espanyol		182 cm	77 kg		34	£60K
S3		Gabri				DM, M (RC)		Lausanne		175 cm	74 kg		33	£95K
S4	Rst	Paco Alcácer			ST			Getafe			175 cm	70 kg		19	£1.4M
S5		Gerard Deulofeu			AM (R)			Barcelona		180 cm	74 kg		18	£1.2M
S6		Moi Gómez			AM (C)			Villarreal		174 cm	64 kg		18	£675K
S9		Albert Riera			M (L)			Galatasaray		187 cm	77 kg		30	£1.5M
-		Xavi				M (C)			Barcelona		170 cm	68 kg		32	£1.3M

I tested two seasons and they qualified for world cup first time and just now they're 2nd in qualifying behind Holland. The league is very one sided to Barca but Levante and Elche both do surprisingly well.

I have done some research and reading and if we do not have a straight knockout competition a ladder would be best http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_tournament

I open a thread which in the first post shows the ladder. People submit their regional squad to me for review. If approved they enter the ladder at the bottom. Players then can approach someone higher up in the ladder for a game, then at the end both players submit the result. I will outline rules for incomplete matchups etc to ensure all things are fair, scoring will be something like if the lower person wins they swap places, if not they stay the same, if a draw they both drop 1 place.

Matches will use the 5 game head 2 head league to reduce the number of draws as goal difference should separate most if points end up the same. Also if someone happens to not play any matches or rejects lots of offers I will demote their placing, ie you have to play to stay where you are! ( I will list a month total matchups as well as an all time list.

This system means anyone can join at any time, everyone has a chance to play teams of equal standing so teams like Catalonia or Basque can enter.

The winner is the person atop the ranking at the end of each month, so we can have multiple winners :D

I can also create nations from regions for people if they cannot do it themselves, it takes me about 30 minutes so is pretty easy and simple.

I of course would enter my Lincs & Humber team as the first team, so people can challenge me.

So guys, which system should we use? The monthly ladder or the long running knockout cup?

My vote is ladder!

EDIT: PS guys, would this be a thread for this sub forum or would it have to go in the Challenges, signups and experiments?

Example ladder would look like this

[u]Rank          Team		           Matchups	Wins	Losses	Draws[/u]
1         Yorkshire		               1	1	0	0
1         Cornwall & Devon	               1	1	0	0
2         Lincs & Humber		       1	0	1	0
2         Merseyside		               1	0	1	0

Within each rank teams will be sorted by First number of wins, then number of matchups.

Of course people can elaborate on matchups in the thread and I could have a "recent results" post as the #2 post in the thread. Depending on how easy it is we could even have a most improved team each month (based from prev months standings) and other mini awards like that.

Its still basic ideas, plenty of rules will be made and then the rules might change as we go along to accommodate anything learnt from experience!

If you guys are interested and have made a database export your team and email me the .tex file so I can see what kind of teams will enter.

Once I get a decent number of teams I will seed them and set up the ladder! If you would rather have the knockout competition please state that in your PM or vote for the ladder if you want a ladder competition.

This sounds like a smashing idea.

I would vote for the ladder idea, sounds fun and the chance of monthly winners sounds appealing.

I would move the thread to the challenges section as it might drum up a bit more business and interest to those that may not have tried this sort of thing before.

PS. Cornwall & Devon will smash the Catalans!!! Yes, the trash talk has started already :)

Looking at doing Isle of Man again, think I can update my 2012 one in the 2013 editor

Currently that does not work so well but it should work fine when SI fix all the issues.

Anything you have added will not come across (UID higher than ~9800000), if it was already in the game and nation rules, they will come across.

Archived