Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I tend to play with my wide midfielders in the Ml/r stratum. A few games ago for one reason or another I moved them up to the AM level. My tactic familiarity dropped slightly as you would expect, to the lower range of 'fluid'.

After making this change I was noticing that the MCs were misplacing passes to the wide mids but particularly they would play it behind them as they ran forward. My question is is this literally because they are expecting them to be further back? Does tactic familiarity map exactly to specific problems based on the changes you've made or is it just coincidental? I could definitely imagine this in real life but not sure if it happens in game.

If it is the former, would it have been worth telling the MCs to pass into some space for the winger to run onto?

This is a great question, and one I don't know the answer to, but will endeavor to find out if someone else doesn't answer it.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some old players in my squad (32 & 33 years old). Their personnality is "professionnal". But every month, my assistant manager tells me both have been poor in training. Their personnal training is set to free kick (both).

I know that physical stats decrease when he player is getting old. Even when I warn them about their poor performance at training, the next month my assistant manager tells me they still have trained poorly. I don't know what to do. Any advice ?

This just happens when they go into terminal decline. It isn't they are training poorly, it is that they are getting worse, and it seems the game doesn't recognize the age-related decline as different from poor training that would cause attributes to drop. Nothing you can do and also nothing to worry about either except to start hunting replacements :D

When I create a tactic I tend to create 2 alternative versions using different team instructions and strategies etc. The purpose being to ensure that when I make changes mid game the team are comfortable with a slight change of style. I started doing this a few versions ago. Does this still work and would you say it's still necessary?

If it boosts familiarity, then it would help a little. How much depends on how drastically different it is. If it is only slight, like one mentality level lower, or an increase in tempo, then I wouldn't waste a tactic slot. The penalty for slightly less familiarity isn't even noticeable IMO.

If it boosts familiarity, then it would help a little. How much depends on how drastically different it is. If it is only slight, like one mentality level lower, or an increase in tempo, then I wouldn't waste a tactic slot. The penalty for slightly less familiarity isn't even noticeable IMO.

Ok thanks

I know that I post a lot about this, but I am really into my save, and can't quite crack the tactics. I have the shape and the style in place. I manage to have lots of possesion, but I lack penetration. I get quite a lot of shots, but they are long shots. I want to create fewer chances, but more goals (due to the chances being less risky). So far I have:

Shape: Flexible

Mentality: Control

TI: Lower tempo, close down more, roam from positions, play out of defence, stay on feet and retain possesion.

I could add work ball into box, but I am afraid that it will overload the team with TI's and be counterproductive.

GK - D

FB - S

CD - D

CD - D

FB - S

CM - D

DLP - S

AP - S

SS - A

IF - S

F9 - S

How can I achieve, that my players will not take to many stupid chances, but instead be patient and score 2 from 5 rather than 1 from?

You are quite cautious with your set up, and you may get more penetration if you considered a) more width up front, as both your AP and IF will be narrow and occupying similar space to your F9 and SS; b) more attacking duties to get more lateral movement, maybe one of the full backs or a winger if you chose to replace your AP or IF. Although Control is attacking you are mitigating some of that impact with your TIs.

If I line up a 4-4-1-1 with a wide playmaker (say on the left side) could I offset the tendency to channel through the playmaker by ticking the TI 'exploit right flank'?

For example the tactic looks like this:

---------------------F9-------------

----------SS(A)--------------------

WP(A)---CM(D)---B2B(S)--WM(A)

-------------------------------------

I'm under the impression by default my team will try and get the ball to the WP more often than not, but is that offset by saying 'exploit the right flank' or would it be better just to change the left midfielder to a WM and give him PIs to act like a WP?

I am always playing with narrow Diamond with an obsession with these

AMC (Enganche) , FOR1 (Triquartista) , FOR2 (Defensive Forward - support)

DMC (Regista)

I bought FM16 with Lunar New year sale... So what can I use in 2 MC / 2 DC and (Full backs Wing Backs) as Roles ?... For this year... I like 2 BWM but this year not seems work for me still leaking...

What's your opinion ?

But why not use a Wide Midfielder? You can always exploit both flanks then.

Well that's what I was asking. I'm still interested in finding out if 'exploiting' a certain side or through the middle would override the tendency to focus play through a 'playmaker' (in the sense of balancing it out, not getting rid of it completely).

I'm under the impression by default my team will try and get the ball to the WP more often than not, but is that offset by saying 'exploit the right flank' or would it be better just to change the left midfielder to a WM and give him PIs to act like a WP?

Well that's what I was asking. I'm still interested in finding out if 'exploiting' a certain side or through the middle would override the tendency to focus play through a 'playmaker' (in the sense of balancing it out, not getting rid of it completely).

How about try it out in a match and see, and report back with your findings? It would be an interesting thing to know, even if only marginally useful given that you wouldn't need to do it to get the effect you want.

My central midfielder, whose role is Central Midfielder - Defend, picks up almost a yellow card per game. In my Arsenal save I've been playing Coquelin or Ajer there and in my Napoli save I've played Lucas Romero there. I understand that this is a position where a player can pick up a lot of yellows but this seems a bit extreme and I don't wan't to keep losing players to suspension multiple times per season.

So my question is, if in the player instructions I set the instruction Ease off tackles, I assume he will get fewer yellows but I'm concerned this will make him less affective in his role of breaking up play. Is that a fair assumption? Are there any other ways of reducing yellow cards for this player (my team instructions do not include Get Stuck In)?

Thanks.

There are a number of support roles with "Get further forward" available but not enabled. Using the full back role as an example, if I have a FB support and enable "gets further forward" as a player instruction then will the player sit deeper than a FB attack when we are out of possesion but move forward when we have the ball?

There are a number of support roles with "Get further forward" available but not enabled. Using the full back role as an example, if I have a FB support and enable "gets further forward" as a player instruction then will the player sit deeper than a FB attack when we are out of possesion but move forward when we have the ball?

Not sure about th defensive positioning, but in the attacking phase this pi means he will get further forward than he would be naturally inclined to. It's important to remember that because lots of things affect how far forward players get, for example winger positioning, where the opposition defenders are, how much space is available, and PPMs. I have Luke Shaw as my LB and as he has Get Further Forward PPM and oppositions tend to sit deep against me, I find he gets forward plenty on support role with no PIs.

This is a good way to get the full back to get forward as though he was on attack duty without the aggressive passing and risk taking, but make sure you really want him to get forward more than he would anyway.

On the defensive side yes, he will sit where his role/duty tell him on the defensive shape, but be more forward with the ball. This is good if you want the attacking width but still want to maintain, if possible, a more conservative defensive shape. The downside of course is where he gets caught on transitions when you lose the ball, but if it isn't a quick counter, he should get back into his defensive spot. So using that PI with a fullback it wouldn't hurt for him to be pacey :)

I've a question about Team Shape and player responsibility;

Take for example Structure - 'Central defenders are responsible only for the defensive phase'

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that the player will not move forward when a counter attack is on? Where as, if i had the team set to Fluid - 'However, players from each unit are expected to move into the transition phase when the right opportunity arises' means that they will move forward if a counter attack is on? But only in the right opportunity? Which is what?

Am i over complicating this?

I've always wondered and, as i'm off ill today, i thought i'd catch up on my fm reading..in between fits of coughing, sneezing and probably crying.

Thanks all

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that the player will not move forward when a counter attack is on? Where as, if i had the team set to Fluid - 'However, players from each unit are expected to move into the transition phase when the right opportunity arises' means that they will move forward if a counter attack is on? But only in the right opportunity? Which is what?

If I recall correctly the player, even if he's a CD, will bomb forward if the counter attack is triggered and he is in the position on the pitch. Just now I had my CD run like 50 meters up the pitch with my winger when we got the ball back on a corner.

I've a question about Team Shape and player responsibility;

Take for example Structure - 'Central defenders are responsible only for the defensive phase'

Am i over complicating this?

I've always wondered and, as i'm off ill today, i thought i'd catch up on my fm reading..in between fits of coughing, sneezing and probably crying.

Thanks all

In game terms it has to do with player mentality, so fluid setups have the mentalities of the players closer together which leads to defending players being more offensive and vice versa (within the overall match strategy setup). Counter attacks are a separate matter, so very structured or very fluid does not much matter: when the counter is triggered all bets are off and the players go pushing forward at high tempo, max mentality etc.

Does creative freedom affects roaming from position? Player in fluid philosophy will roam more (far from his position) than on rigid?

No, you can have stick to positions and be more expressive active at the same time. Creative freedom is just that within the other constraints you have set (roam, hold position, shape, strategy)- players will try more options like low pct. passes, tricks etc. if they think there is a chance it will come off.

Out of curiosity, within your experience, how much different is the defensive cover offered by the DLP (D) and CM (D)? I know a DLP (D) will see more time on the ball and be more involved in terms of his passing (or should be), but is he any better or worse defensively in terms of the cover he provides on the field?

Out of curiosity, within your experience, how much different is the defensive cover offered by the DLP (D) and CM (D)? I know a DLP (D) will see more time on the ball and be more involved in terms of his passing (or should be), but is he any better or worse defensively in terms of the cover he provides on the field?

Just a guess here, but I would have thought a DLP would stay in space ready to receive the ball whereas the CMd would close down more.

How long training for a player to go from Awkward to Accomplished? Does it vary? Pretty sure I have read in the past their adaptability attribute plays a part...

It's pretty varied. Adaptability does indeed play a part, as does how frequently the player is playing in his new position.

I think it's the Versatility attribute. Adaptability is about living in a foreign country plus the new thing about squad personality.

Um, yeah, you're probably right there. Wouldn't be the first time I've mixed those two up in an attempt at a helpful on these forums :p

Tactics related, I guess - please could anyone point me in the direction of a skin with a decent tactics screen ala FM2015?

Really can't stand the boxes. Everything else is fine. No need for anything fancy. In fact, the fewer other changes, the better..

Gracias! :D

g2 and vitrex both have shirts, try them.

Can anyone offer advice on the below tactic?

---------------DLF(A)--------------

IF(A)--------------------------W(S)

---------BBM(S)---AP(A)---------

------------------------------------

---------------DLP(D)-------------

FB(A)---CD(D)---BPD(D)---FB(A)

--------------SW(S)--------------

I have 'Roam from position', 'Creative Freedom', 'Pass out of defence' as well as Control mentality with flexible shape.

I am keeping loads of clean sheets (9 out of 11 in league to start season) but I cannot seem to score many goals. I have won 8 of those games, but a lot of them were 1-0 or 2-0 with late goals making the scoreline look more comfortable.

I am wanting to score more goals, but really struggling. I am in my 5th season with Spurs and this lack of goalscoring is costing me the title as I have finished 2nd last 2 seasons by 1 point.

How do I stop short corners being knocked straight back to the taker who is almost always offside? Neither player is lacking mental attributes but it keeps happening.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. It has been logged as an issue, however, and it is possible that changes will happen. If not this version, then next. In the meantime, we have to put up with it (it happens frequently with throw-ins also) and agree to be aggravated :)

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. It has been logged as an issue, however, and it is possible that changes will happen. If not this version, then next. In the meantime, we have to put up with it (it happens frequently with throw-ins also) and agree to be aggravated :)

At least I don't get murdered on the counter this way.

how you guys think i can improve the defence of this tactic?

JSucyK6.png

scoring lots of goals but quite leaky at the back.

should i move down the AP(S) to MC position and drop the BWM(D) to become an Anchor Man?

Man mark the left back with Lamela?

Some questions here regarding team shape.

When should I go from fluid to structured and vice versa?

Do these changes actually show on the ME or is it just a fluff feature?

How often a game/season should I fiddle with it?

Thx

I tend to go structured when prioritising defending against stronger sides, and fluid if I'm attacking a team that is defending in numbers.

I tend to go structured when prioritising defending against stronger sides, and fluid if I'm attacking a team that is defending in numbers.

For me strong sides is when I go Fluid (plus More Disciplined). Makes forward players more willing to pitch in defensively, as it keeps mentalities closer together throughout the team.

Against weaker sides Structured keeps the forward players minds focused on their attacking jobs.

Out of curiosity, how much does the positional capability affect a player's performance?

I'm only asking because it seems to me that, despite there being a 'Libero' role, very few players are even 'accomplished' at playing behind the flat defensive line. How negatively will it affect a player to play in that role without having been extensively trained there first? It kind of makes it hard to develop a tactic with a Libero without many, if any, players who are at least accomplished in that position.

If I was to create a formation that had two BWM (S) in front of a Regista, would the fact that they roam to get the ball, expose the Reigsta?

Also, would the BWM's get the ball and pass it to the regista to distribute?